• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What's a good place to level up at lvl 80?
Those damn Telethia in Alcamoth are like lvl 87 across the board.

Fight the level 85 ones, they hang around in groups of 3 and there are quite a few of them in the first part of that area. Not too hard to avoid the other ones, just use your minimap. I don't think I ever ran into a fight with the stronger ones on accident, and I used that place from like 80 to 90.

Barring that, maybe those enemies in the marsh in front of the gate? Forgot what they are. Kromers at Eryth Sea might also be okay for a few levels.

Fight the level 85 ones, they hang around in groups of 3 and there are quite a few of them in the first part of that area. Not too hard to avoid the other ones, just use your minimap. I don't think I ever ran into a fight with the stronger ones on accident, and I used that place from like 80 to 90.

Barring that, maybe those enemies in the marsh in front of the gate? Forgot what they are. Kromers at Eryth Sea might also be okay for a few levels.

Thanks. On the other hand, I'm still trying to get Back Slash and Summon Copy advanced art book, but I get other drops. =(

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
(Probably best not to highlight until you've finished the game, as the bosses talked about are pretty far apart from each other, though they're both late in the game - about L65 onward.)

It seems like
Gadolt
and
Lorithia
are the two bosses most people have trouble with, and when you're stuck on one you find the other a cakewalk. I didn't have any trouble at all with the former, but the latter got me really frustrated due to dumb technical reasons
(she's so huge she pushes the other characters into the Ether and trying to fetch them to revive is horrible)
. Others have the reverse experience.

I just find it funny, is all. :>

Funny, I didn't have problem with either.
Gadolt is especially easy if you main Shulk and use Armour
and
Lorithia is eaten alive by Melia and (Ether arts) Riki, as for the pushing to the Ether, I just used the "Follow me" command (Z+ Down D-Pad with Wiimore+Nunchuck).

What gave me problems a lot was
a huge UM Mechon that it is Central Factory, that I saw when I was doing the quest for Fiora's weapon. Shulk was "dead" at the moment so I used Riki+Dunban+Sharla against it, what annoyed me was that the Mechon's Titan Stomp 1-Hit kill both Sharla and Dunban, so I had to relay a lot on Riki's Hero Time and Happy Happy to beat it, took me like 5 tries. Riki is Angry was great against the Flamethrower attack though.

Oxx

Main Theme is pretty awesome. I never really spent long enough on the title screen to really appreciate it, but I've listened to the soundtrack a few times.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just finished the first leg where
Fiona dies.
Wow. So after about 5 hours, I'm finding that I really care about what's going to happen and really want to play more. So happy I modded my Wii to play this!

Ydahs

Just finished the first leg where
Fiona dies.
Wow. So after about 5 hours, I'm finding that I really care about what's going to happen and really want to play more. So happy I modded my Wii to play this!

The game's story is brilliant. It just keeps getting better and better the further you progress.

Ydahs

Just completed the game. 72 hours.

Game of the Year. Game of the Generation. Possible my favourite game of all time.

The story, the characters, the world, the battle system and the amount of content all exceeded my expectations. I expected a good game, but not the best JRPG I've ever played. I have Uncharted, Zelda and Skyrim yet to be played, but I doubt any of them can provide the same enjoyment this game brought me.

END GAME SPOILERS, HIDDEN IN SPOILER TAGS. DON'T READ IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE GAME!

I think I died half a dozen times against
Zanza's second form, every time to a move that takes away ~9000... Before that all the bosses were a cakewalk in comparison, but it's nice to have a boss that truly kicks your ass.

The end game story:
Now that I've finished it, it's almost as if the story does not begin until the Egil battle. Twist after mind blowing twist. I don't think anyone expected the universe to be an experiment created by humans from Earth. And Alvis being a computer. Everything after the Egil battle was insane. I want to experience it again. And again. And again.

I also loved the fact that each 'bad guy' had a purpose for what they were fighting for and could by sympathised with. It wasn't just the usually generic MUST DESTROY WORLD bad guys. Gadolt, Egil and especially Dickson's deaths were all very moving.

END OF SPOILERS

I don't think I've ever been so emotionally invested in a video game before. So many moving moments. We need a Xenoblade anime.

To those that are familiar with Takahashi: Has he every written a better story? If so, let me know which game of his has a better story and I'll be sure to play it :)

Monoliftsoft can do no wrong. I cannot wait to see what they can pull off on the Wii U.

ajim

Can't stop playing and LOVING this game. I actually thing Arc Rise Fantasia is still edging out as my favourite RPG on the Wii at the moment, only because I really enjoyed the story and characters a little bit more. However, the more I progress through Xenoblade the more the characters are opening up with one another, and the story is slowly showing itself. Hopefully the story blows open from where I'm up to --
About to enter Prison Island

The overworld, battle system, music and scenery blows my mind tho. Phenomenal game.

Hurry up The Last Story :D

Feep

Banned
(Level 70 Spoilers)

I gotta say, I was a little shocked when Shulk collapsed after
the Monado had the same effect on him that it originally had on Dunban. Those kinds of screams aren't typically found in a video game...they were agonizing. Well acted.

Ydahs

Forgot to add, the voice acting of this game is fantastic. I didn't expect it to be so good since I was under the impression this was a low budget localisation. We need more games voiced by brits.

ajim

Forgot to add, the voice acting of this game is fantastic. I didn't expect it to be so good since I was under the impression this was a low budget localisation. We need more games voiced by brits.
The voices are good, but the Mechon sound absolutely ridiculous. I grate my teeth every time I hear them speak and banter on.

Hopefully the story blows open from where I'm up to --
About to enter Prison Island
Lucky for you, the story's about to blow wide open. The latter half of the game is much more story-driven than the first half.

(Level 70 Spoilers)

the Monado had the same effect on him that it originally had on Dunban. Those kinds of screams aren't typically found in a video game...they were agonizing. Well acted.

I assume you're using the British VA? I switched between the two, and honestly didn't like either. And I get the different accents thing, too; Melia has an upper-class accent, Reyn has a lower-class accent, etc. I guess it just didn't click with me.

And wow, Riki was just grating in English.

Oxx

I am in favour of the English VA. Or it might just be the shock of hearing a localised JRPG that doesn't have a cast of American schoolkids.

Luigiv

That's because the casting, directing and recording was outsourced to Side. As you can see, they have a pretty decent track record for this sort of thing and that's only going back a few years. These guys also did DQVIII so they've actually been around quite a while.

It also helped that the Voice Actors were given the opportunity to listen to all their lines in Japanese before recording and a translator from Nintendo was in the studio at all times to help them when necessary.

Still I did find some stilted delivery to slip through every once in a while, which I guess is to be expected when the actors are simply line reading in isolation from one another. The video game industry as a whole really needs to modernise their approach to voice acting and adopt the group recording approach that animated sitcoms use.

But anyway, that aside, it was pretty good on the whole. If only NoA would follow suite and start outsourcing their voice work to studios who actually have a clue. I'm not looking forward to The Last Story's voice casting at all.

Edit: BTW, this interview with Shulk's actor, Adam Howden, was the source of my information.

MechaX

Okay, my mouth just fucking DROPPED during the
final Egil battle
(Level 70-72 spoilers), where you suddenly get a vision of
THE MECHONIS DESTROYING THE BIONIS FOR INFINITY DAMAGE.
I laughed, paused the game, and came to post this. Wow. = D

I actually had the same initial reaction, minus the posting on GAF part.
When it cut out to the Bionis, I was like "Uh..." and then the Infinity Damage swing came, and I was like "HOLY MOTHER FUCK!" outloud.
I wasn't taking the battle that seriously, but that literally lit a fire under my ass.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I actually had the same initial reaction, minus the posting on GAF part.
When it cut out to the Bionis, I was like "Uh..." and then the Infinity Damage swing came, and I was like "HOLY MOTHER FUCK!" outloud.
I wasn't taking the battle that seriously, but that literally lit a fire under my ass.

(Level 70 Spoilers)

Regarding that, what happens if
you fail to prevent that vision? I wonder if it's just an instant game over, or if there is some sort of brief "bad ending."

Levyne

Banned
Ugh, wandering around Bionis Interior looking for Black Bean Liver or something for Colony6. Got one a while ago for the collection but now no luck for like 3 hours.

Shit like this is what almost makes me hate JRPGS. Anyone have any luck getting some?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think I got Black Liver Beans in that separate corridor with a few unique enemies in it. Had the ether mine thing at the end, don't remember what it was called.

Levyne

Banned
Woo, just got one! That's what I get for trusting people who said it can be found near the heart.

Hopefully it's not another 3 hours for the last one.

Zornica

Banned
Regarding that, what happens if
you fail to prevent that vision? I wonder if it's just an instant game over, or if there is some sort of brief "bad ending."

your hp drop to 0 and you die. with shulk/zanza being bionis, it kinda makes sense... more or less

Hey guys I'm level 97 or so, just trying to build the most wicked awesome team, I have a question if someone can answer:

I haven't gone to the bionis interior yet, but I really need to find a souce of pretty or rare water crystals, anyone know where I can find some?

reason why i'm looing for that is because HP Steal is so so good.

Ydahs

Hey guys I'm level 97 or so, just trying to build the most wicked awesome team, I have a question if someone can answer:

I haven't gone to the bionis interior yet, but I really need to find a souce of pretty or rare water crystals, anyone know where I can find some?

reason why i'm looing for that is because HP Steal is so so good.

If I'm not mistaken, you'll find quite several rare crystal deposits in the Bionis Interior, but whether they're water or not I cannot recall. Though, there are a lot of varieties there so I'm sure there be some water crystals too

If I'm not mistaken, you'll find quite several rare crystal deposits in the Bionis Interior, but whether they're water or not I cannot recall. Though, there are a lot of varieties there so I'm sure there be some water crystals too
Yeah but they dont drop the skills I'm looking for at all, Ive upgraded colony 6's deposits so i'll have a look if they drop the skills i need (HP Steal, Night Vision and Double Attack).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but they dont drop the skills I'm looking for at all, Ive upgraded colony 6's deposits so i'll have a look if they drop the skills i need (HP Steal, Night Vision and Double Attack).

For rank V crystals:

HP Steal - Korlba Pterix in Makna Forest, flying around the bridges I think.
Night Vision - Ancient Daedala, level 105 unique
on Fallen Arm beach
Double Attack - Deinos Sauros in Makna Forest.

HP steal isn't really worth it IMO, at max it's a 25% chance of getting 200HP, other gems are a lot more useful. You can also get Debuff Resist from Deinos Sauros which prevents all status ailments and instant death, for example. Haste is also pretty useful, and Agility is basically a must-have.

For rank V crystals:

HP Steal - Korlba Pterix in Makna Forest, flying around the bridges I think.
Night Vision - Ancient Daedala, level 105 unique
on Fallen Arm beach
Double Attack - Deinos Sauros in Makna Forest.

HP steal isn't really worth it IMO, at max it's a 25% chance of getting 200HP, other gems are a lot more useful. You can also get Debuff Resist from Deinos Sauros which prevents all status ailments and instant death, for example. Haste is also pretty useful, and Agility is basically a must-have.

Awesome stuff man thanks a lot, I would have been wandering for a long time looking for those. Yeah i already equipped my guys thoroughly with Haste VI, I'll consider Debuff Resist. Know where can I find rare crystals with Agility? I'm only up to Agility V's. There should be a guide for this stuff.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome stuff man thanks a lot, I would have been wandering for a long time looking for those. Yeah i already equipped my guys thoroughly with Haste VI, I'll consider Debuff Resist. Know where can I find rare crystals with Agility? I'm only up to Agility V's. There should be a guide for this stuff.

There is a guide in the OP, linked at the bottom. That's where I got the info :p Note about that guide - it contains spoiler for pretty much the entire game and doesn't mark them at all.

Agility V crystals can only be gotten from the wind mine in the Ether Mines with nature maxed out.

Zornica

Banned

actually... there is a guide for that stuff :p
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=false&noheader=true&gid=18

I wouldn´t read the other pages due to spoilers.

btw: being lvl 90+ and not having
entered bionis´s interiour yet,
you clearly did something wrong oO
I am pretty sure that lvl 80+ content was intended for players which were already poking the point of no return.

Thanks chaosblade man

actually... there is a guide for that stuff :p
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?hl=en_US&key=0Anx12MiCQejudHJfUWhOTGd5Wm1uS25ub2FDeE5BekE&hl=en_US&f=false&noheader=true&gid=18

I wouldn´t read the other pages due to spoilers.

btw: being lvl 90+ and not having
entered bionis´s interiour yet,
you clearly did something wrong oO
I am pretty sure that lvl 80+ content was intended for players which were already poking the point of no return.

Yeah well I'm impatient and I hate the fact that xenoblade sometimes locks you out of quests and cool things, and since i don't know when and how often these 'points of no return' happen, i try to accomplish as much as possible everytime i can.

Ultratech

Level 61 and a good ways into the
Mechonis Field
. Crazy place and totally not what I expected. Loving the music for the place though. Gives me some weird PSO-like vibe. Was pretty awesome opening the bulkhead door though. (Was kind of a "Wow" moment for me.)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've pretty much decided once I finish the onslaught of Holiday titles, I'm going to pick this up. Is it easier to find/import now? Also, did the Skyward Sword system update make it harder to remove region coding?

I've pretty much decided once I finish the onslaught of Holiday titles, I'm going to pick this up. Is it easier to find/import now? Also, did the Skyward Sword system update make it harder to remove region coding?

Not sure how easy/hard it is to import now but you don't need the SS update to play it anyway. Use Gecko to launch SS and it should work fine(did with mine), then you can do the same with Xenoblade when you get it.

Strife91

Geez. Grinding is slow in this game!

About the end game.
I only have Zanza left, but I keep dying on it. I'm pretty low level, about lvl 76-77. I recently found out that you can expand your skill tree. WTF. Wish I've known sooner, because I maxed out the ones I have a long time ago. Did the Tyrea's Melancholy quest, got a bunch of xp. Are there more quests like this one?

Feep

Banned
Geez. Grinding is slow in this game! I only have
Zanza
left, but I keep dying on it. I'm pretty low level, about lvl 76-77. I recently found out that you can expand your skill tree. WTF. Wish I've known sooner, because I maxed out the ones I have a long time ago. Did the Tyrea's Melancholy quest, got a bunch of xp. Are there more quests like this one?
Do you know how spoiler tags work?

Yeah, you should use spoiler tags.
The last boss name is a very important plot twist man. Also, you will level up by doing sidequests faster than grinding (probably because you will not get bored out your mind doing it the same thing for 1-2 hours. There are some Skill Trees that give more EXP during day, for landmarks, and doing sidequests. Use EXP gems, Combatant Boots come with EXP III. You can also fight UMs too for advanced books and better equipment. Satorl (at night) is also good to level up until lvl 83-84, Alcamoth will be enough until lvl 90, then tack Tephra Cave.

But seriously, do more quests. Many end game sidequests give nice gems.

Luigiv

Yay, finally finished the game!

I've got to admit, I saw the ending coming when it was confirmed that
the planet that we saw a few times before was indeed Saturn.
Still, despite being a bit cliche, it was decently satisfying.

The NG+ set up is a bitch, though. Wish it let me save prior to the setup so I could get back to it later. Going through the entire end sequence again before I can get another stab at it is going to be a bit of a drag. Guess I'll finish up with my end game side questing first before attempting it again. The extra levels should ease the pain.

Yay, finally finished the game!

I've got to admit, I saw the ending coming when it was confirmed that
the planet that we saw a few times before was indeed Saturn.
Still, despite being a bit cliche, it was decently satisfying.

The NG+ set up is a bitch, though. Wish it let me save prior to the setup so I could get back to it later. Going through the entire end sequence again before I can get another stab at it is going to be a bit of a drag. Guess I'll finish up with my end game side questing first before attempting it again. The extra levels should ease the pain.

Pretty sure you can skip any cutscene using + or - on the controller.

I myself just finished it, after almost 150 hours. Most massive JRPG ever. All in all a great experience.

Top Bottom