• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Levyne

Banned
Done with all the quests, just gotta top of my character levels, polish off some equipment optimizing, and take on some of the high level UM's.

Levyne

Banned
Good luck, what strategy are you planning for those?

No idea yet, as I haven't really had to strategize at all up to this point and I haven't looked at what I'm in for. I'm guessing force aggro to someone like Riki or Reyn just there to absorb blows, while having someone else focus on damage.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
No idea yet, as I haven't really had to strategize at all up to this point and I haven't looked at what I'm in for. I'm guessing force aggro to someone like Riki or Reyn just there to absorb blows, while having someone else focus on damage.

I've only beaten those through toppling, although two of them weren't successfully locked so they still dealt damage. Party was Shulk (Monado arts, good damage), Dunban (good damage from AI), 7th (best character in the game IMO - awesome damage dealer, will also be a near-immortal tank, good AI).

You'll really struggle beating the strongest monsters with basic tank-and-heal tactics, they just deal too much damage too quickly. It's possible though, as far as I know.

Anyone prefer Zelda to Xenoblade?
I notice Zelda a notch above Xenoblade on Metacritic
lol
but find it hard to believe the latter can be bested, it's just so good

Cheska

My copy arrived today, hurray :) So I modded my Wii, and booted this sucker up.

First impressions are that the environments are splendid, but the character models, specifically the faces are not very pretty at all. I know, I know, we've been spoiled by HD beauty this generation, and I know it's a Wii game which is why this isn't a complaint but merely an observation. I'm still excited as ever to play through, especially a game that the majority have actually finshed despite the long campaign. I'm even happier to see that a few others have picked this up recently so that I will have someone to discuss this with :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Oh my lord, this game is OCD heaven. I'm STILL trying to do quests in Colony 9 so I can feel good leaving. I sort of remember reading that the quest log will show a watch symbol if you're unable to complete it after a certain point of progression. Is this true? I want to move forward since I'm getting frustrated looking for certain quest NPC's, but I don't want to NOT be able to complete certain quests.

Also, this is a dumb question, but what exactly do Agility and Ether do? I've been gemming for strength, attack, and defense...Sort of ignoring these other two stats. I mean, I imagine it's based off of magic, but like, what IS it? The characters I have at this point
Fiora just died
don't really have magic...I mean, light heal maybe? Blah.

Game is so good...NoA is really crazy for not choosing to port this over.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Finally got this game and I'm so glad that I can smile a bit because I understand the title tagline now (edit:, as I always though it was about NoA not releasing the game). 10 hours in and this really is addictive.

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Got about 15 hours in this game and I really enjoy it. Curse NoA for being so short sited and not bringing it over. That being said I'd have a ton more in it, but trying to mix it with with Saits Row: The Third, BatMan, Skyrim, and Battlefield 3 I never seem to have enough hours in a day to play these games :(

JimboJones

Oh my lord, this game is OCD heaven. I'm STILL trying to do quests in Colony 9 so I can feel good leaving. I sort of remember reading that the quest log will show a watch symbol if you're unable to complete it after a certain point of progression. Is this true? I want to move forward since I'm getting frustrated looking for certain quest NPC's, but I don't want to NOT be able to complete certain quests.

Also, this is a dumb question, but what exactly do Agility and Ether do? I've been gemming for strength, attack, and defense...Sort of ignoring these other two stats. I mean, I imagine it's based off of magic, but like, what IS it? The characters I have at this point
Fiora just died
don't really have magic...I mean, light heal maybe? Blah.

Game is so good...NoA is really crazy for not choosing to port this over.

Some charchters use ether abilities more than some but I think most if not all the charchters have arts than are ether based.
If you look at your Arts you can see which ones are ether or physical, so I assume adding ether gems increases there effectivness.

Higher agility means you can more easily dodge attacks.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Some charchters use ether abilities more than some but I think most if not all the charchters have arts than are ether based.
If you look at your Arts you can see which ones are ether or physical, so I assume adding ether gems increases there effectivness.

Higher agility means you can more easily dodge attacks.

Thanks. The Agility one makes perfect sense, I guess I just didn't make the connection. I thought it had something to do with crit, until I realized there's a +% crit stat.

Regarding quests: yes, there will be a watch symbol in the quest log next to the quest name if it's time-limited. You can't miss it. Also, most of the time-limited quests will have very obvious cut-off points, so you'll know when you need to finish them. You can also ask here, we'd be glad to tell you if you're close to a cut-off point.

Remember that if you do all of the quests available to you, you'll end up overleveled for most of the game, even if you don't fight many enemies.

Luigiv

Yes that's true. After a couple of major plot events, the game world will change making some quests impossible to complete. These quests are marked with a clock as a warning. I wouldn't worry to much though, the time outs are pretty forgiving.

The first batch of these quests are timed out by an event that's pretty obvious and can be delayed as long as you need it to be.

The rest of them don't time out until right near the end when the plot twists start kicking in full effect.

By the time the quests time out, the usefulness of their rewards will long since have passed anyway(well for most of them at least).

JimboJones

For ages I confused Quick Step and Agility as the same thing, didn't understand why quickstep wasn't increaseing my stats, just assumed maybe it was some invisible stat untill I looked it up and realized it simply makes your charchter move faster... making running around to places a little easier.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yes that's true. After a couple of major plot events, the game world will change making some quests impossible to complete. These quests are marked with a clock as a warning. I wouldn't worry to much though, the time outs are pretty forgiving.

The first batch of these quests are timed out by an event that's pretty obvious and can be delayed as long as you need it to be.

The rest of them don't time out until right near the end when the plot twists start kicking in full effect.

By the time the quests time out, the usefulness of their rewards will long since have passed anyway(well for most of them at least).
Still worth it to do lots of quests for affinity, both for your party and for the areas.

But yeah, anytime you have quests that will expire, you'll also get a dialog box asking if you're sure you want to continue. In fact I'm not even sure there are times when that pops up and quests don't expire.

For ages I confused Quick Step and Agility as the same thing, didn't understand why quickstep wasn't increaseing my stats, just assumed maybe it was some invisible stat untill I looked it up and realized it simply makes your charchter move faster... making running around to places a little easier.

Quickstep is extremely useful for accessing a certain area, I think that's the only time I ever used it. And agility is the most important stat in the game.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, just doing some random things before I tackle the 4 hard bosses. Killing UM's for art books, gotta grind for some AP/Skill stuff. Used up all my collectibles trying to get everyone's affinity maxed, still have like 4 "purples" that have yet to become "hearts". Just trying to use those characters in battle in the mean time while I build up more.

aett

I still can't believe that Quick Step maxes out at 25%. They may as well have not let you increase it at all! It's such a tease.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't believe that Quick Step maxes out at 25%. They may as well have not let you increase it at all! It's such a tease.

You can also link up skills to increase it more. Don't remember if there is more than one or not, and whether or not it's a party or individual skill. At the very least it's an extra 5% though.

the Mechon sound absolutely ridiculous. I grate my teeth every time I hear them speak and banter on.
I too felt similarly about this at first and was like "why the hell are they speaking at all? They're big demonic robots, stop making them look less threatening!" Not sure if you've already played this far, but you learn that this actually makes sense later on in the game.

Cheska

Is there any way to manually put markers on the map for sidequests? I'd like to be able to know which direction and where to go when I'm trying to look for something :)

Shiggy

For people who did not get the limited edition: The game costs 39.99€ now and the red CC Pro is available for 29.99€ - so you get both for the same price as the bundle back then.

41YAK8SCL9L._AA300_.jpg

The US release confirmation is making me want to cast Zelda aside and get back to the level 80+ quests.

I hope the saves are transferable, because I'd gladly do a New Game + to celebrate the US release. If not, I'll just play through the game again with different party members.

Dead

well not really...yet
I hope the saves are transferable, because I'd gladly do a New Game + to celebrate the US release. If not, I'll just play through the game again with different party members.
Yeah, would be boss if that were possible. Highly doubt it though.

If anything, I learned so much new stuff about the game as I played it, that a replay is inevitable

Oxx

I'll save myself for the Nintendo Classics Wii U release... With permanent map and quest log on the tablet.

Zwei

For people who did not get the limited edition: The game costs 39.99€ now and the red CC Pro is available for 29.99€ - so you get both for the same price as the bundle back then.

[IM]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YAK8SCL9L._AA300_.jpg[/IMG]

Wait, what? You can buy the red CCPro separately? Cool.

ivysaur12

Banned
The US release confirmation is making me want to cast Zelda aside and get back to the level 80+ quests.

Hey guys.

Remember how we used to get upset when people would bump the thread without confirmation of a US release? Well, Oxx just won.

After Zelda SS, I felt like I needed to give more love to my Wii, so I popped in Xenoblade and started playing.

3 hours in, and the game looks mindblowingly HUGE. Can't wait to grind and explore. The fact that dying isn't severely punishing, and you can pass time and teleport makes the whole experience really great, without all the classic inconvenience which come with JRPG in general.

Also (SPOILER)
Fioria...and I started to like her...T_T

So I finally got this game, and I can't understand the love for it.Sure it's beautiful, and massive, but the combat is really archaic, and the characters aren't likable at all. Maybe it's because I just scratched the surface of the game, (Only at the beginning of
prison island
it's most certainly 7/10 right now, but there have been better jrpgs this gen. It's just that combat man...

So I finally got this game, and I can't understand the love for it.Sure it's beautiful, and massive, but the combat is really archaic, and the characters aren't likable at all. Maybe it's because I just scratched the surface of the game, (Only at the beginning of
prison island
it's most certainly 7/10 right now, but there have been better jrpgs this gen. It's just that combat man...
How is the combat archaic?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Damn, the news about Xenoblade being released in America next year and everyone's praise of the game, I'm hyped to play this game finally this weekend. I live in the US so I'll have to use a region canceller, and since I would like the game to appear on the disc channel when I put the CD in, that means I'll have to use Tiny Load right? Is it a good thing to use that? Does this game benefit much from being ripped to a hard drive? In that case I might go that route and use the USB Loader.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Damn, the news about Xenoblade being released in America next year and everyone's praise of the game, I'm hyped to play this game finally this weekend. I live in the US so I'll have to use a region canceller, and since I would like the game to appear on the disc channel when I put the CD in, that means I'll have to use Tiny Load right? Is it a good thing to use that? Does this game benefit much from being ripped to a hard drive? In that case I might go that route and use the USB Loader.

You can use a launcher if you want (I've never heard of Tiny Load, but I know Gecko OS), but ripping games to Hdd is just cool. It helps, in the sense that it works worry free on NTSC consoles, and you don't have to do a silly loader step each time. I play more of my Wii games when I don't have to get up and switch discs, lol.

Sometimes I drunkenly stumble into NMH2 thanks to the usb loader, and it's a damn good time :D

Nert

Yeah, out of all of the complaints I've heard about the combat system (like poor AI decision making for your allies or elaborate spell effects resulting in notable slowdown), I'd say that calling it "archaic" makes the least amount of sense. You can choose to run away from almost any battle, experience is evenly distributed among all party members (making it easier to experiment with party compositions), and there's even a gem crafting system that reminds me of modern MMOs. Throw in all of the skill link options and the ability to invest in whatever arts you want to and the room for customization in this game becomes staggering.

Jintor

prison island

You're just sad there's no yuri

Gambit

You're just sad there's no yuri

Do you mean Shadow Hearts Yuri? If so, then I am sad as well. He was one of the best RPG protagonists ever.

Anyway, I agree with the previous posters. Xenoblade's combat might not be your thing, but criticising it as archaic is not justified in the least.

ach, I am just so happy that America will get Xenoblade as well. When following that OT, I assume they get a new one, I can relive the game once more.

Archaic?! LOL! Xenoblade is about as progressive as JRPG combat gets! It's FF12 done right! (and the visions mechanic is completely original)

Never mind the whole host of other new ideas that it brings to the genre (positional attacks, completely seamless combat without any transition, HUDless party communication, pack mentality AI etc. The list goes on and on)

Top Bottom