• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Damnit, I'm like 5 hours into Zelda and I think I'm going through Xenoblade withdrawal. This sucks!

General endgame sidequests question:
There were a few late-game sidequests that were actually awesome (unlike most other sidequests, which were not awesome)... specifically, they culminated in boss battles. There was the Red Pollen Orbs one in Frontier Village, and the one with Tyrea and her mom... are there any others like this I should do?

I'm planning on going back to Alcamoth and doing the telethia stuff, and obviously back to Tephra Cave to kill a million monsters... is there anything else I should check out?

Damnit, I'm like 5 hours into Zelda and I think I'm going through Xenoblade withdrawal. This sucks!

There were a few late-game sidequests that were actually awesome (unlike most other sidequests, which were not awesome)... specifically, they culminated in boss battles. There was the Red Pollen Orbs one in Frontier Village, and the one with Tyrea and her mom... are there any others like this I should do?

I'm planning on going back to Alcamoth and doing the telethia stuff, and obviously back to Tephra Cave to kill a million monsters... is there anything else I should check out?

Those are the two major areas, aside from all the uniques you can go back and slay. Tephra Cave alone has several hours of gameplay, with an entire questline and several unique and high level monsters.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm going to rely EXTREMEMLY heavily on you guys for guidancep laying this game.
I know absolutely nothing about how to play an RPG but I preordered this game BECAUSE ITS SO FUCKING PRETTY.

Protip: This game has an incredibly useful tutorial system that many people ignore. Don't ignore it.

ivysaur12

Banned

What's the
Red Pollen quest? I did the Tyrea one, which was one of the best in the game. More quests like this in Xenoblade 2

What's the
Red Pollen quest? I did the Tyrea one, which was one of the best in the game. More quests like this in Xenoblade 2
It's the culmination of about 10 quests, some of which are timed
Mechonis Core... specifically, Alcamoth.

If you
did the stuff with the "secret club" in Alcamoth
, you can finish the job and see the hilarious and awesome climax!

Just finished the game...60 hours...it was fucking awesome.

It's amazing how differently people play games. I play them reallllly slowly, so I imagine a 60 hour completion time being accomplished by skipping all the cutscenes, running straight to the next point in the story, and doing no exploring.

At 60 hours, I had just reached the V
alak Mountains

Seik

Banned
It's amazing how differently people play games. I play them reallllly slowly, so I imagine a 60 hour completion time being accomplished by skipping all the cutscenes, running straight to the next point in the story, and doing no exploring.

At 60 hours, I had just reached the V
alak Mountains

No not exactly, at first I did a shitload of side quests, like, A LOT! Then I got bored and I chose to do the story instead. The more the story went on the more I wanted to know how it would end up. I did a lot of them in the end too for gaining exp for some bosses that gave me trouble. I'll take time to do these properly in my
New Game Plus.

Skipping side quests was better for my experience too, doing too many of them made my characters overpowered for story missions and skipping them made the whole thing really more challenging and fun. Like you said, we all play differently. :p

Zornica

Banned

wtf? how could I miss that?
where can I find the quest with
Tyrea and her mom?

Wichu

I'm going to ask this question again, as I've advanced quite a bit in the story - when do the timed quests in
Alcamoth
become unavailable? I'm currently at
Mechonis Field
; I guess I should probably start doing them now...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to ask this question again, as I've advanced quite a bit in the story - when do the timed quests in
Alcamoth
become unavailable? I'm currently at
Mechonis Field
; I guess I should probably start doing them now...

Relatively soon. There will be a point a bit later where you're asked if you're sure you want to continue (
It will be in Junks while talking to Miqol
), just make sure they are done before you say yes there.

I think you have two more areas left before that.

wtf? how could I miss that?
where can I find the quest with
Tyrea and her mom?
Towards the end of the game, head through
Colony 6
's south gate and it should activate automatically when you get to the area where the Nopon Merchants use to be at the start of the game (next to the then-closed gate).

Mr. Hyde

Is this game really that enjoyable? I love jRPGS and I imported this but it gave me a headache trying to survive the beginning area. Well, not the intro but the area once you get control and head off to find your sibling. I ran into monsters on the beach and kept dying nonstop. Is there a way to play it without dying continuously? I kind of put it in the backlog due to that but now I want to get back into it

Shiggie

Is this game really that enjoyable? I love jRPGS and I imported this but it gave me a headache trying to survive the beginning area. Well, not the intro but the area once you get control and head off to find your sibling. I ran into monsters on the beach and kept dying nonstop. Is there a way to play it without dying continuously? I kind of put it in the backlog due to that but now I want to get back into it
Just avoid really high level m
onsters. :p

wsippel

Banned
Don't approach monsters with a red nameplate. Use the shoulder buttons to target them, check their level, and avoid them if they're red. Anything more than five levels above you will kill you for sure, at least until you reach the endgame.

Oxx

Don't approach monsters with a red nameplate. Use the shoulder buttons to target them, check their level, and avoid them if they're red. Anything more than five levels above you will kill you for sure, at least until you reach the endgame.

It has been so long since I played, but aren't the colour-codes something like:

Blue - Easy
Grey - Appropriate for your level
Yellow - Tough
Red - RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

?

Guys, how long did American-Gaf have to wait for their Xenoblade to arrive from GAME? Ordered mine back on the 6th, and I'm still waiting on it. I don't want winter break to end before I can finish it!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't order from GAME, but I think it took 3 weeks for my game to arrive.

When you first start those krabbles on the beach will probably be hard to beat with two characters, let alone one. Just pay attention to levels and you should be fine in the beginning, until you get the hang of the battle system and unlock more arts, I wouldn't bother anything more than a level higher than your party.

sublimit

Banned
The combat system is awesome. Though the screen can get really, really cluttered.

That was the only thing that annoyed me in combat too.There were times that i didn't knew what the fuck was going on and couldn't even see where my teamates were.
Another thing that annoyed me was that whenever i targeted a monster to see its name,my team member's profiles would pop up covering 1/3 of my screen.

why are you trying to fight monsters above your level?

Yeah, don't pick fights with things that can kill you with one hit.

Do you routinely go into biker bars and shove the biggest guy you can find in the back?

Guys, how long did American-Gaf have to wait for their Xenoblade to arrive from GAME? Ordered mine back on the 6th, and I'm still waiting on it. I don't want winter break to end before I can finish it!
About a month.

About a month.

From GAME? I'm too lazy to go back and check the thread, but if I recall correctly GAME importers were the first to get it, ~1-2 weeks after they ordered.

As with everything, though, mileage can vary when importing. I got my Zavvi order a little over a week after release day, and it took some of the folks in here more than a month.

From GAME? I'm too lazy to go back and check the thread, but if I recall correctly GAME importers were the first to get it, ~1-2 weeks after they ordered.

As with everything, though, mileage can vary when importing. I got my Zavvi order a little over a week after release day, and it took some of the folks in here more than a month.
Took over a month for me (ordered a month or so after the initial rush, so it certainly wasn't that). Their site claims customers should wait something like 30 business days before reporting it lost in transit.

YMMV, but my impression was that GAME sends things by hobbit.

GAFers, please explain why this game is awesome. I am considering buying a Wii for it.

Feel free to mention ways in which it is not awesome.

My background: big fan of JRPGs... pretty let down by this generation. Favorites are FF VII, XII, Xenogears. Unfavorites are FF VIII, X, XIII. Lost Odyssey was OK.

tinders

I've been going round finishing quests, building affinity etc rather than finishing the game - and I recently warped to Satorl Marsh and had a particularly odd vision.

Looked like a High Entia girl passed out on some kind of platform or pedestal

Now the problem is, I've completed every quest that I had, I've been to all the areas in Satorl Marsh which I think could have resembled this vision, and I've got nothing.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

That's certainly encouraging. I was looking for a bit more detail, but I'll take it.

If you like taking your time and exploring, then get it. There's a lot to see and do, there are places you won't want to leave, and there's a lot of variety in the gameplay—assuming you occasionally switch your main character.

The combat is more complex than FFXII without being as deep. That sounds confusing, but basically:
-there are no gambits to play with, and once you set up your arts there will be relatively little tinkering with your general battle strategy with any given party
-there are numerous arts that depend on or give bonuses based on position; whether you're in front of the enemy, behind it, at its side, etc
-because your various skills have a cooldown meter rather than MP, the combat is much more focused on time management
-each individual character's possibilities aren't very deep - there really is only one proper strategy for certain characters - but the party makeups add several layers of complexity to battles

If you like the futuristic/mech stuff of FFVII and Xenogears you'll probably like the setting and story of this. Saying much more would spoil it, but there's a lot of that subject matter to chew on.

There are plenty of downsides, but I think they're mitigated by the game's strengths:
-There are hundreds of quests (literally!) and many are quite interesting, especially if you like exploring the backstories of incidental NPCs, but most are fetch quests of little consequence. They will also leave you overleveled if you try and do as many as you can, and finding NPCs can be an absolute pain. On the flipside, you don't have to return to NPCs when you're done with most of the quests, so it goes much more smoothly.
-The scale of the game gets much more limited towards the end as the overall scope increases.
-Combat can be repetitive if you use the same team/setup, but simply switching it up once in a while alleviates this problem.
-Item management can be a pain, frankly.

If I were you, I'd recommend getting a Wii for many more reasons than just Xenoblade. Even if you're not a fan of Nintendo's first-party stuff, there's just so much weird nonsense on the system that it's definitely a worthy $100 purchase.

If you like taking your time and exploring, then get it. There's a lot to see and do, there are places you won't want to leave, and there's a lot of variety in the gameplay—assuming you occasionally switch your main character.

The combat is more complex than FFXII without being as deep. That sounds confusing, but basically:
-there are no gambits to play with, and once you set up your arts there will be relatively little tinkering with your general battle strategy with any given party
-there are numerous arts that depend on or give bonuses based on position; whether you're in front of the enemy, behind it, at its side, etc
-because your various skills have a cooldown meter rather than MP, the combat is much more focused on time management
-each individual character's possibilities aren't very deep - there really is only one proper strategy for certain characters - but the party makeups add several layers of complexity to battles

If you like the futuristic/mech stuff of FFVII and Xenogears you'll probably like the setting and story of this. Saying much more would spoil it, but there's a lot of that subject matter to chew on.

There are plenty of downsides, but I think they're mitigated by the game's strengths:
-There are hundreds of quests (literally!) and many are quite interesting, especially if you like exploring the backstories of incidental NPCs, but most are fetch quests of little consequence. They will also leave you overleveled if you try and do as many as you can, and finding NPCs can be an absolute pain. On the flipside, you don't have to return to NPCs when you're done with most of the quests, so it goes much more smoothly.
-The scale of the game gets much more limited towards the end as the overall scope increases.
-Combat can be repetitive if you use the same team/setup, but simply switching it up once in a while alleviates this problem.
-Item management can be a pain, frankly.

If I were you, I'd recommend getting a Wii for many more reasons than just Xenoblade. Even if you're not a fan of Nintendo's first-party stuff, there's just so much weird nonsense on the system that it's definitely a worthy $100 purchase.

Much appreciated.

As for getting a Wii... there are quite a few games I'd like to play on it, but time is limited... the other 2 just would get most of the play. Great JRPGs are so infrequent though.

GAFers, please explain why this game is awesome. I am considering buying a Wii for it.

Feel free to mention ways in which it is not awesome.

My background: big fan of JRPGs... pretty let down by this generation. Favorites are FF VII, XII, Xenogears. Unfavorites are FF VIII, X, XIII. Lost Odyssey was OK.

Don't know if it has been mentioned but the OST is really good, each area has a night theme and a day theme.

Feast your ears on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SnxVgxDesY

Oxx

Outside of the great music, sense of environmental scale, and fun battle system, it was the little things that made the game flow really well:

- HP recharges after the end of the battle
- MP replaced by cool-down attacks
- Saving mostly anywhere
- Quests that automatically complete and give you rewards
- XP for exploring, quests etc. largely eliminated battle grinding to level up.

To be honest, these probably only sound significant if you have been playing a lot of Dragon Quest (like me), but they contribute to an experience that constantly pushes you forward to new and exciting places.

I really hope Nintendo takes note of the success of Xenoblade and pumps a lot of resources into the next game, that's if there is another game. In a funny way, initially releasing it in Europe only was the perfect way for the game to get noticed and I think it gained far more attention than it would have otherwise.

- HP recharges after the end of the battle

Interesting -- one of the few things XIII did right. (Really the entire battle system is great... but I mean outside of that.) Getting full HP for every battle eliminated a lot of boring concerns usually present in JRPGs.

Luigiv

Interesting -- one of the few things XIII did right. (Really the entire battle system is great... but I mean outside of that.) Getting full HP for every battle eliminated a lot of boring concerns usually present in JRPGs.

Actually Xenoblade does things a little differently from FFXIII or The Last Story. Instead of getting full health at the start of every battle, the health recharges over time outside of battle (takes maybe 15 seconds from zero to full at higher levels). Whilst that may sound like a subtle difference, it actually makes quite a difference given Xenoblade's more open environments.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually Xenoblade does things a little differently from FFXIII or The Last Story. Instead of getting full health at the start of every battle, the health recharges over time outside of battle (takes maybe 15 seconds from zero to full at higher levels). Whilst that may sound like a subtle difference, it actually makes quite a difference given Xenoblade's more open environments.

It's a non issue 99% of the time.

Your party gauge which slowly depletes out of batte, however, is a much more interesting mechanic.

Grampasso

That's fucking glorious. Holy shit.

Also day/night cycles = win.

It sounds like Chrono / Xenogears. Same guy?

It's really too bad I have a freaking kid being born a month before this thing drops. Will I find a way to play? We will find out.
No, you don't actually mean it, right?

Top Bottom