• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

DarkPanda

ARGH! This is driving me insane! I'm late game, post-
Mechonis Core
and I'm trying to finish my affinity chart and get everyone connected to everyone. My only problem is Frontier Village; I have Zazadan and Dedeba connected to each other and isolated from everyone else. Does anyone know where these two are at this point in the game? I know that Dedeba
got arrested for selling drugs to the High Entia and Zazadan fled to who knows where
, but since neither of their portraits are greyed out I'm hoping they're still around, somewhere, to talk to. Finding Dedeba is my last hope, since the only person who even mentions Dedeba is Bana, and he's not forming a link anytime soon.

The best news? Everything you listed gets even deeper and more complex as the game progresses, with the exception of the environments, which gradually become more and more linear.

Even though I had seen it in trailers and knew what to expect, arriving at the Gaur Plains was one of the great moments of this gen of gaming for me (spare me the "Wii is last-gen" jokes).

The second best news? That's not the only jaw dropping story moment in the game. I don't even think it's the biggest.

Visiting Gaur Plains for the first time is a mind-blowing thing. It requires your attention, but the way they present it, music and all, is just amazing.

Also, the depth of the game is one severely underestimated aspect. There's so much background stuff that never gets fully explained. The whole White Spider thing for example. Or the Sage. There's so much shit relevant to the world that's just there - no explanation, no deeper meaning, no relevance to the story, but important nevertheless.

And I didn't spoiler tag that stuff for a reason, by the way... ;)

This great news. :)

I find that I normally shy away from most games that offer tons of customization and depth because I know that I'll put tons of time into them (I've put around 600 or so hours into each generation of Pokemon) and I'll never play anything else. With Xenoblade, though, I think a lot of what draws me to it is the presentation of the depth. I feel like (so far, anyway) the game is open enough where you can succeed with a variety of different options, so I don't get really anxious thinking that I'm not progressing the way that I should. It's totally different from a game like Dark Souls where if you build your character the wrong way, you're practically screwed.

Anyways, I've spent so much time running around the Plain and I'm starting to run into really high level monsters. I totally attacked some Lv72 Magnus thing thinking that it was one of the normal enemies and I nearly shit my pants. After that, it was great just exploring the area.

I'm really digging the story right now, too. I just got Sharla.

One other thing that I really enjoy about this game is the fact that it's so easy to just pick up and play for thirty minutes or so. You can just boot it up, go level up, find some materials, and then turn the game off if you're in a hurry.

Just seen the destruction of the
High Entias in Alcamoth and on the Havres
. Holy moley, those scenes were terrible to watch, I was not expecting it.
Junks is currently sat in Colony 6 waiting to leave for the interior

I hate how this game as suddenly opened up loads of new places to explore and quest to complete but I'm just too low a level. I want to help people!

On that note, I'm level 75, I've been grinding the things on the north bridge on the Bionis Leg, but where else are there good places for when I reach higher levels?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just seen the destruction of the
High Entias in Alcamoth and on the Havres
. Holy moley, those scenes were terrible.
Junks is currently sat in Colony 6 waiting to leave for the interior

I hate how this game as suddenly opened up loads of new places to explore and quest to complete but I'm just too low a level. I want to help people!

On that note, I'm level 75, I've been grinding the things on the north bridge on the Bionis Leg, but where else are there good places for when I reach higher levels?

You're better off just heading for the end of the game. You're already a little overleveled, but not too badly. No more points of no return until the end, and the game makes that one very obvious. Unless you just want to be overleveled.

You'll probably be level 80 by the end of the game. From there you can hit up
Alcamoth

Michan

My girlfriend is visiting her family for Christmas, so we opened our presents yesterday. She got me Xenoblade, and I didn't even ask for it! <3

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
After owning the Japanese version since August or so of last year, I finally am delving deep into the game. I initially played about 5 hours on Dolphin, but the weird sound glitches and graphical bugs bothered the hell out of me, so I'm now playing it on my Wii. I'm enjoying it overall, but damn I wish they didn't go for such an orthodox Shonen-manga style juvenile story. I'm only 12 hours in at level 30 right now (just got Melia in my party), so I'm hoping things improve, but there are just so many character stereotypes. Sure, it's not as bad as your average Tales game in that respect, but it's still disappointing considering it's part of the Xeno series.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, it isn't. The Xeno name for the game is just a PR move. It's not a Xeno game and doesn't deserve to have Xeno in the title.

Well, it was directed by Takahashi who was the director and scenario writer for Xenogears, Xenosaga Episode I. There's probably some other staff overlap, I would think.

wsippel

Banned
After owning the Japanese version since August or so of last year, I finally am delving deep into the game. I initially played about 5 hours on Dolphin, but the weird sound glitches and graphical bugs bothered the hell out of me, so I'm now playing it on my Wii. I'm enjoying it overall, but damn I wish they didn't go for such an orthodox Shonen-manga style juvenile story. I'm only 12 hours in at level 30 right now (just got Melia in my party), so I'm hoping things improve, but there are just so many character stereotypes. Sure, it's not as bad as your average Tales game in that respect, but it's still disappointing considering it's part of the Xeno series.
You've seen nothing yet. The story really only begins to unfold much later in the game. And the best thing is that it actually makes perfect sense in the end. It gets complex and somewhat philosophical, but there are no asspulls. There certainly is a distinct shonen feel to the game, but you really shouldn't underestimate the game - the story is actually one of it's strongest points in my opinion. And that's saying a lot, considering how great pretty much everything about the game is.

Codeblue

I'm not sure how backwards this thinking was, but I wound up selling my import copy on Amazon for $85 (got $75 after Amazon fees), so I could pick up the US version for $50. Reduces the game price from $40 I originally paid to $15 after I did all the math.

Levyne

Banned
I though the story was fine and stayed away from most of the overdone trite jrpg stereotypes....until the ending. Wasn't stellar (but wasn't bad either)

Zornica

Banned
Does leveling slow down after a while? Doing any side mission results in me being overleveled.

you probably will be underleveled by the end of the game, like pretty much everyone else in this thread, but most of the game you will be slightly above everyone else in your area (not counting 70+ endgame enemies ofc)

MDX

Mostly North Americans freaking-out about how their Euro orders hadn't arrived a couple of days after they were posted.

Speaking of which, you Americans plan on buying the game when it hits your shores?

Gamestop is rumored to be in talks with Nintendo about bringing The Last Story to the Wii in the United States.

- GameStop reached out to Nintendo to get Xenoblade Chronicles released in the states
- GameStop is helping to pay for publishing
- Nintendo is interested in localizing The Last Story as well
- This localization depends on sales of Xenoblade Chronicles preorders/sales
- Xenoblade Chronicles preorders are not doing well thus far.

http://www.nintengen.com/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I plan on buying a North American copy, but not from Gamestop.

And what does "doing well" consist of? The only publicity the game has had was the initial announcement, other than that it's just OpRainfall who are more or less preaching to the choir, and word of mouth from the handful of people who imported.

heringer

So, I'm about to start this. Any tips I should know? I was going to play Skyrim first, but with the whole PS3 bug shenanigans I decided to go Xenoblade.

First cutscene is really awesome.

ivysaur12

Banned
Speaking of which, you Americans plan on buying the game when it hits your shores?

http://www.nintengen.com/

We've already discussed this. This is from a banned site that treated this rumors like an internet message board forum. There is absolutely nothing substantiated about them.

It could, completely coincidentally, be true. It might not be. But it's not worth reporting here. People should still buy the game regardless.

KarmaCow

So, I'm about to start this. Any tips I should know? I was going to play Skyrim first, but with the whole PS3 bug shenanigans I decided to go Xenoblade.

Don't try to do every quest at first because the exp gains from quests makes you really over leveled for the area.

NPCs walk around during the day so you might need to manipulate the time to find an NPC. Check the affinity chart to see when an NPC is active.

If you select the map from the menu, you can select regions outside of the zone you're currently in, allowing you fast travel to any location in the world.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think many people usually bring this up, so I guess I will: Xenoblade is pretty unique in that traditional tank-and-heal tactics aren't necessarily the best method of tackling enemies.

And agility is the most important stat of the game. I don't think it makes as much difference early on, but the further you get in the game the more you'll want to prioritize it.

Oxx

Xenoblade is funny in that I didn't really care about the stats at all.

Maybe it was the lack of a screen that came up showing all your stats increasing, but it all seemed pretty invisible to me.

I think the difference (unfortunately) is that your level plays a much bigger role than your stats. When the difference between repeated deaths and easy victory can hinge on a single level, small changes in defense/attack/etc are much less significant. That isn't to say they should be ignored, though; late-game gem and armor management is absolutely necessary if you want to take down the harder enemies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The minimal effects of most of the stats helps bring agility to the forefront, by the end of the game any strength or defense gems will be pretty much useless, but you'll still want Agility VI once you can get it.

Not sure if you can beat the optional bosses without boosted agility from gems and skills. Ancient Daedala maybe, but probably none of the others.

Finally beat the game. 130+ hours. Max affinities everywhere, most sidequests completed... Went into the final boss at level 88. This was a mistake because he couldn't really even do damage to the Melia/7th/Shulk superteam.

Likely my GOTY. Onto Zelda!

Random ending spoiler thoughts:
* the ending "twist" was a bit much, but I guess I expect it from JRPGs. "We have to explain everything!!!" It was fine.
* Alvis is awesome. So, so awesome. Great voice acting.
* I'm on Team Melia! Clearly the strongest personality in the game. Not sure what the writer had against her, but alas.
* in general, I think my favorite characters were those with the best english voices. Alvis, Dunban, Melia. Dickson was even fairly likeable.
* This will sound bad, but I'm vaguely disappointed Shulk and/or 7th didn't die. I was prepared, but the ending was ... a little too "happy"... 7th getting her body back and everything. Admittedly, there was sound "plot" reason for the happiness, but that's no excuse!
* I've seen the complaints about how the late game areas weren't open ended enough, but I didn't get that sense at all. Mechonis Field/Central Factory/Agniratha are very cool, large locales, but they're also toast very shortly after you reach them. The early locations are around for the whole game. It's a simple matter of Monolith investing their time/effort in the landscapes the player spends the most time in.

I was just thinking about Xenoblade. I remember just before the release, checking out screenshots on GAF and being utterly disappointed. The character models looked terrible at the time and I was honestly thinking that it was another NeoGAF over-hyped game and standard generic JRPG. Then I played it, and then I got to Gaur Plains. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Regarding your last point:

I don't like the word "hype", but I was eagerly anticipating the game from a few months prior to its Japanese release. I had seen most of the publicly released artwork, which depicted various areas. When I finally started playing and arrived at
Eryth Sea
, I was shocked (in a good way) to learn that I was less than 50% done with the game, because I had been to all of the areas I had seen depicted. I just expected the final half of the game to have that same sense of repeated, jaw-dropping wonder. It didn't. It wasn't "bad", it was just kind of bland and unmemorable to me.

Regarding your last point:

I don't like the word "hype", but I was eagerly anticipating the game from a few months prior to its Japanese release. I had seen most of the publicly released artwork, which depicted various areas. When I finally started playing and arrived at
Eryth Sea
, I was shocked (in a good way) to learn that I was less than 50% done with the game, because I had been to all of the areas I had seen depicted. I just expected the final half of the game to have that same sense of repeated, jaw-dropping wonder. It didn't. It wasn't "bad", it was just kind of bland and unmemorable to me.
I get what you're saying, but Bionis' Leg and E
ryth Sea
(Satorl too, for that matter) are just a tough act to follow. I think environments like
Valak Mt, Fallen Arm, and Agniratha
compare favorably to what other games give us, but the bar was set pretty freaking high in this one early on.

I thought the Phantasy Star Online-style music completely validated Mechonis Field. Totally caught me off guard.

Oxx

I was just thinking about Xenoblade. I remember just before the release, checking out screenshots on GAF and being utterly disappointed. The character models looked terrible at the time and I was honestly thinking that it was another NeoGAF over-hyped game and standard generic JRPG. Then I played it, and then I got to Gaur Plains. Fuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Looking at screenshots, I just couldn't get over how huge the HUD was.

Thankfully it wasn't too distracting once you spent some time with the game. Even though I was playing on a 4:3 TV, so the HUD took up more of the screen than in pre-release screens.

Dascu

Looking at screenshots, I just couldn't get over how huge the HUD was.

Thankfully it wasn't too distracting once you spent some time with the game. Even though I was playing on a 4:3 TV, so the HUD took up more of the screen than in pre-release screens.
I might be wrong, but I think you can customize the HUD and turn some stuff off in the menu options.

I might be wrong, but I think you can customize the HUD and turn some stuff off in the menu options.

You can customize some stuff, but you can't get a totally clean interface without modifications, which is a shame.

When the HD remake arrives in
never
, they should at least have "pro" option similar to The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's, so the interface can be as minimal as possible.

Octagon

i wouldn't have played the game was it not for the GAF hype.
I am really grateful for that. For once the GAF hype train did something good (for me at least).

The Hermit

Wait a sec, how in the world does this have 16,000 posts? o_0

Wii's GOTY. You would know if you played it...

You can customize some stuff, but you can't get a totally clean interface without modifications, which is a shame.

When the HD remake arrives in
never
, they should at least have "pro" option similar to The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's, so the interface can be as minimal as possible.

Yes you can...

cajunator

Banned
I'm going to rely EXTREMEMLY heavily on you guys for guidancep laying this game.
I know absolutely nothing about how to play an RPG but I preordered this game BECAUSE ITS SO FUCKING PRETTY.

I'm going to rely EXTREMEMLY heavily on you guys for guidancep laying this game.
I know absolutely nothing about how to play an RPG but I preordered this game BECAUSE ITS SO FUCKING PRETTY.

I think you'll be fine. And there are plenty of us who would be more than happy to help out a fellow traveler. :)

wsippel

Banned
Finally beat the game. 130+ hours. Max affinities everywhere, most sidequests completed... Went into the final boss at level 88. This was a mistake because he couldn't really even do damage to the Melia/7th/Shulk superteam.

Likely my GOTY. Onto Zelda!

Random ending spoiler thoughts:
* the ending "twist" was a bit much, but I guess I expect it from JRPGs. "We have to explain everything!!!" It was fine.
* Alvis is awesome. So, so awesome. Great voice acting.
* I'm on Team Melia! Clearly the strongest personality in the game. Not sure what the writer had against her, but alas.
* in general, I think my favorite characters were those with the best english voices. Alvis, Dunban, Melia. Dickson was even fairly likeable.
* This will sound bad, but I'm vaguely disappointed Shulk and/or 7th didn't die. I was prepared, but the ending was ... a little too "happy"... 7th getting her body back and everything. Admittedly, there was sound "plot" reason for the happiness, but that's no excuse!
* I've seen the complaints about how the late game areas weren't open ended enough, but I didn't get that sense at all. Mechonis Field/Central Factory/Agniratha are very cool, large locales, but they're also toast very shortly after you reach them. The early locations are around for the whole game. It's a simple matter of Monolith investing their time/effort in the landscapes the player spends the most time in.
I was glad that this game actually had a happy end. Way too rare as is. After spending hours to save the world, the main characters should be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor. Heroic sacrifices are an overrated trope, and there are always other ways to achieve a similar emotional impact without having anybody die. I think it would have been better if Fiorun hadn't gotten her body back, though. Would have been a small sacrifice, and she would have been the last and only hybrid.

heringer

Only 5 hours in, but this game is kinda blowing my mind. It feels like the first next-gen JRPG.

The vistas, the freedom, the exploration... oh my. I love how the game encourages you to explore by giving you EXP for new found areas. Not to mention the beuty of the locales, which is already a great reward. And special monsters to boot.

The story so far is promising. I was surprised that they
killed Fiora. Though I think she might still be alive, since the mechas abduct people.

The combat system is awesome. Though the screen can get really, really cluttered. I'm not completely used to it yet, and there are a lot of depth in this game, I still can't wrap my head around everything.

One questions though, should I sell the collectibles and materials? Can I use them for anything?

Love how this game simply cuts the fat of every boring aspects RPG's usually have. Sidequests are a breeze to do, you can fast travel, change the time, etc.

I don't like that the game is starting this strong, because now my expectations are going through the roof, and if the quality decreases I might be slightly disappointed. :p

One questions though, should I sell the collectibles and materials? Can I use them for anything?
I'd keep them all except for excess materials that have a "small bag" icon. Materials and collectibles are needed for various quests. You can also register the first of each collectible to get some extra items.

heringer

I'd keep them all except for excess materials that have a "small bag" icon. Materials and collectibles are needed for various quests. You can also register the first of each collectible to get some extra items.
Ooops, I think I already sold every material I have. :p

Will hold on to them from now on.

Not to mention the beuty of the locales, which is already a great reward.

If only more developers thought like this. Now that Ueda's future in the industry is in doubt we have... what, thatgamecompany? There aren't many companies who create insanely gorgeous vistas for the sole purpose of being gawked at.

Top Bottom