• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

hutna

Anybody with any tips? I've been fighting Glory Slobos and Final Marcus over and over again on Valak but it's pretty slow.

Also, even after I get AP I'll still need a ton of SP..any tips for that? I get 20 each time I kill one of these guys with a chain and 10 other wise.. 7th still has a whole branch to fill...that's like 300 slobos :/

Finding locations and filling out your map is a good way to earn large chunks of AP and SP (make sure to equip AP+ gems!). Certain quests give AP and SP I think.

Glory Slobos on Valak at night are probably the best monsters to fight because of the easy respawning; if you want a change of pace the giant t-rexes and the unique version in Makna are the other option.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Finding locations and filling out your map is a good way to earn large chunks of AP and SP (make sure to equip AP+ gems!). Certain quests give AP and SP I think.

Glory Slobos on Valak at night are probably the best monsters to fight because of the easy respawning; if you want a change of pace the giant t-rexes and the unique version in Makna are the other option.

Yep, those are the two best options. Slobos are quicker, but I think Deinos Sauros drop better crystals that you'll want if you go after the 100+ enemies.

hutna

I always used Melia's Break and Topple attacks before launching the elemental attacks (or chain attacks).

yeah i discovered her break > topple moves kind of late into the game (i like to use riki + dundun with the 7th for topple locking, but i bet using melia + shulk + dundun is even better for that)

If I have one big complaint to lodge against the game, it's the inability to switch control between characters. It might not be such a big deal if Final Fantasy XII didn't make it so easy in a similar setup ages ago, and I find myself wanting to switch between characters a lot (particularly between Shulk and Melia, since you sorta want fine control over the Monado but at the same time Melia's useless if not controlled directly. The system we have WORKS, I guess, it just feels like it could be so much more. And it isn't like they want for buttons to do this or anything, given that the party menu (and corresponding button) is disabled during combat.

Game still rules though and I'm glad I imported.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If I have one big complaint to lodge against the game, it's the inability to switch control between characters. It might not be such a big deal if Final Fantasy XII didn't make it so easy in a similar setup ages ago, and I find myself wanting to switch between characters a lot (particularly between Shulk and Melia, since you sorta want fine control over the Monado but at the same time Melia's useless if not controlled directly. The system we have WORKS, I guess, it just feels like it could be so much more. And it isn't like they want for buttons to do this or anything, given that the party menu (and corresponding button) is disabled during combat.

You'd have to up the difficulty level or put a gigantic timer on it or seriously nerf topple if you did that.

Hell just the ability to chain attack consistently makes the end game challenges a breeze.

hutna

I agree; as I was playing the game the other day I thought: "Wow take Xenoblade's character growth system/exploration elements/combat system and mix it with FF12's gambit system and ability to hot swap characters on the fly; now put it on the Wii U with multiplayer (1 person on TV, 1 person on tablet, 3rd person online/second tablet/3DS/whatever) and you have the best game ever. *Head exploads*"

Levyne

Banned
You'd have to up the difficulty level or put a gigantic timer on it or seriously nerf topple if you did that.

Hell just the ability to chain attack consistently makes the end game challenges a breeze.

Is there any trick to getting the trigger after 3 attacks in a chain? Sucks when it ends there

hutna

Is there any trick to getting the trigger after 3 attacks in a chain? Sucks when it ends there

Shulk has a skill that increases the likelihood of one occurring. You can skill-link it on all the characters in the party and I *think* it stacks (up to 45% iirc). Of course party affinity has an (the largest maybe?) effect on the frequency of it.

Well, up the difficulty and nerf topple, then. That's where a few of the "archaic" complaints about the combat system come from, I think; it feels like the designers said "we won't let you switch characters, but here's a bunch of other needlessly complicated systems you can use instead!" to which I reply "why not just let us control different characters, then"?

I just sit here and think "this could be more, and that makes me sad". The game still rules though and the first time I reached the Gaur Plains my jaw fell open. My Wii is doing that?! Also the music is divine, although it's marred a bit by the fact that the characters will not shut up. Can't you be quiet for a bit while One Who Stands In Our Way plays, guys?

I agree; as I was playing the game the other day I thought: "Wow take Xenoblade's character growth system/exploration elements/combat system and mix it with FF12's gambit system and ability to hot swap characters on the fly; now put it on the Wii U with multiplayer (1 person on TV, 1 person on tablet, 3rd person online/second tablet/3DS/whatever) and you have the best game ever. *Head exploads*"

Multiplayer I dunno about, but Xenoblade character growth/exploration/etc combined with FF12 fine AI control and character swapping is pretty much in my head right now as The Perfect RPG System. Like, you make that, and you can just stop. You've figured out party-based RPG gameplay. We wouldn't need anything else.

hutna

Well, up the difficulty and nerf topple, then. That's where a few of the "archaic" complaints about the combat system come from, I think; it feels like the designers said "we won't let you switch characters, but here's a bunch of other needlessly complicated systems you can use instead!" to which I reply "why not just let us control different characters, then"?

I just sit here and think "this could be more, and that makes me sad". The game still rules though and the first time I reached the Gaur Plains my jaw fell open. My Wii is doing that?! Also the music is divine, although it's marred a bit by the fact that the characters will not shut up. Can't you be quiet for a bit while One Who Stands In Our Way plays, guys?

Multiplayer I dunno about, but Xenoblade character growth/exploration/etc combined with FF12 fine AI control and character swapping is pretty much in my head right now as The Perfect RPG System. Like, you make that, and you can just stop. You've figured out party-based RPG gameplay. We wouldn't need anything else.

Hehe, that's just the Secret of Mana / Tales of / FF11 fan in me.

But yes, FF12 gambits/character swapping + xenoblade combat system = rpg perfection.

Seik

Banned
Gadolt is kicking my ass, like, SO MUCH! I saved and can't turn back...what the fuck is wrong with him always using these GODDAMN lasers.

=____=

Ah I see. Melia looks overpowered if used correctly.

Will there be a way in the game when you can just travel even faster between wide areas (for example going from the Colony 6 Market directly to the Colony 9) without having to go to the end of the area ?

Will there be a way in the game when you can just travel even faster between wide areas (for example going from the Colony 6 Market directly to the Colony 9) without having to go to the end of the area ?

Melia is overpowered if you use her correctly, yes.

And you already have such an ability; go to your menu and select the leftmost option, which is the map (I think it's the leftmost option). Then, select the area and select the landmark you wish to fast travel to. You can do this within an area, too, though it's faster to just go to the map and select a landmark.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
7th is more overpowered than Melia IMO, because at least with Melia you have to control her yourself for her to beast everything and there are times when that just isn't feasible (like when you need to control Shulk). 7th will do it even under AI control if setup properly.

Gadolt is kicking my ass, like, SO MUCH! I saved and can't turn back...what the fuck is wrong with him always using these GODDAMN lasers.

=____=

Mechonis Field? You can hide behind those barriers and he'll stop using the laser attack until you get close to him.

Quick travel does that. Open the menu (not the area map) and select maps. You can select any area you've visited then select the checkpoint.

So in your example you open maps > Colony 9 > Gem Man's Stall.

Its a thing a lot of people miss. I guess there is no reason to assume maps has different information compared with its shortcut...

hutna

7th is more overpowered than Melia IMO, because at least with Melia you have to control her yourself for her to beast everything and there are times when that just isn't feasible (like when you need to control Shulk). 7th will do it even under AI control if setup properly.

Mechonis Field? You can hide behind those barriers and he'll stop using the laser attack until you get close to him.

yeah 7th with the right gems/gear/arts/skills is ridiculously strong; best damage in the game for nearly every situation.

Levyne

Banned
Got all the arts maxed..now I still need like 1200 sP to finish that off for everyone.

Then, figuring out how the hell to beat those 4 100+'s. Maybe I'll grind some of the cheevos first to delay that.

So, which arts do you think are the best? The ones that are helpful for almost, if not all, the game?

This can be rather hard to pick for me, because many arts are nice, but picking the most helpful ones is harder. I can think of a few I always used ever since I got them:

- Backslash (Is this the highest damaging single art in the game? Shulk can do like 25-30K with this with the right gems, Backatk Plus and others)
- Gale Slash, you just can't play Dunban without it.
- Summon Bolt/Summon Wind, both are nice. Summon Bolt does incredible damage, while Summon Wind gives a very nice support boost, especially since Agility is the best stat in the game.
- Heal Round/Heal Blast.
- Spear Break/Starlight Kick, easily the best topple combo in the game.
- Speed Shift, a very awesome art that gives 7th the ability outdamage everything.
- Hero Time, tension is very important and this enables you to in your best.
- Armour, incredible useful. Best Monado Art IMO.

Levyne

Banned
Ugh, I need a lot of help beating Ancient Daedala...I am level 99 with all arts max and all skills learned and as many affection points possible for a single playthrough.

What gems are essential? What party is recommended? Spike D? Agility +50 a must for everyone (Some of my guys have +40). What arts should my party have and who should I play as?

All my guys have debuff resist 80% or so and max Unbeatable gems..ugh I die so fast.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Spike D, Topple Time up, make sure your skill links include heal on chain attack, increased chance of chain attack.

Go into battle with as close to full gauge as possible, control Shulk and use Monado Armour the second the fight starts. Make the rest of your party people that can do high damage and topple. When your chain attack starts topple him

Levyne

Banned
So would Shulk 7th Dunban be an ok party?

Just crafted two max spike d gems, trying to get a 3rd. Would you recommend keeping the unbeatable gems equipped?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
My gem loadout for that fight (first one I did because I needed Night Vision) was something like

Double Attack, Topple Time Up, Spike D, Undefeatable, HP UP and a few others.

You can with a lot of planning also sucker punch the boss by using dunban's demon slayer on the mobs on the beach right when the boss attacks you.

Levyne

Banned
My gem loadout for that fight (first one I did because I needed Night Vision) was something like

Double Attack, Topple Time Up, Spike D, Undefeatable, HP UP and a few others.

You can with a lot of planning also sucker punch the boss by using dunban's demon slayer on the mobs on the beach right when the boss attacks you.

Thanks. Yeah, I was looking for Night Vision ones and I think I only have one and it's like rank 4...then I looked it up and I have to kill this guy to get more? Catch-22 I tell you!

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm playing Skyrim right now, and I keep forgetting that I actually lose progress when I die. I just want Xenoblade 2. Or Baten Kaitos III. Or something else from MonolithSoft.

Levyne

Banned
WiiU game from Honne. Kind of looks like it could be Baten Kaitos III, but who knows. And we won't hear about it for a while anyways.

I'm sure they have a 3DS game in the works, too.

I just remember some concept art popping up for a new game, I thought it was 3DS but I haven't looked into it.

But yeah, looking forward to more info of whatever it is. I've played BKO, will probably grab the original on the cheap during the summer drought or something.

Levyne

Banned
Well I'm a dunce, just got the nice new Nightvision gems courtesy of Daedala..then I fight Arsene during the day time :/. Still won but should of been easier.

Also, he started at 108 and was somehow 112 by the end of the fight? That cheater

wsippel

Banned
They are making some unknown 3DS game right?
The Xenoblade team is currently working on a Wii U RPG "inspired by Elder Scrolls" - whatever that's supposed to mean. I think it's mostly about tech or overall structure. Also, Monolith has two studios now (Monolith Tokyo and Monolith Kyoto), and the old studio in Tokyo was usually working on one console game and two handheld games at once.

Levyne

Banned
3rd 100+ monster down. So he got immune to topple at the end, made it annoying but still pulled through.

Man, spike d and unbeatable really make these bearable.

I just got my PAL copy in last night and I've put about 5 or so hours into the game so far.

Wow.

This game has already sucked me in.
I literally had my mouth wide open when Fiora got killed.
I just made it to Gaur Plain and I'm amazed at how much depth there is to everything: the environments, the customization options, the battle system, everything.

I really shouldn't be playing because I have a ton of stuff to do for finals, but I just can't stop.

I just got my PAL copy in last night and I've put about 5 or so hours into the game so far.

Wow.

This game has already sucked me in.
I literally had my mouth wide open when Fiora got killed.
I just made it to Gaur Plain and I'm amazed at how much depth there is to everything: the environments, the customization options, the battle system, everything.

I really shouldn't be playing because I have a ton of stuff to do for finals, but I just can't stop.

The best news? Everything you listed gets even deeper and more complex as the game progresses, with the exception of the environments, which gradually become more and more linear.

Even though I had seen it in trailers and knew what to expect, arriving at the Gaur Plains was one of the great moments of this gen of gaming for me (spare me the "Wii is last-gen" jokes).

McNum

The best news? Everything you listed gets even deeper and more complex as the game progresses, with the exception of the environments, which gradually become more and more linear.

Even though I had seen it in trailers and knew what to expect, arriving at the Gaur Plains was one of the great moments of this gen of gaming for me (spare me the "Wii is last-gen" jokes).
The second best news? That's not the only jaw dropping story moment in the game. I don't even think it's the biggest.

The second best news? That's not the only jaw dropping story moment in the game. I don't even think it's the biggest.

Haha... no. Not even close. The story did become kind of tedious and annoying to me starting in the area after the Bionis' Leg, so I tuned most of it out. Other people seemed to love it though, so if someone is into the storytelling/characters there's a lot of enjoyment to be had.

McNum

Haha... no. Not even close. The story did become kind of tedious and annoying to me starting in the area after the Bionis' Leg, so I tuned most of it out. Other people seemed to love it though, so if someone is into the storytelling/characters there's a lot of enjoyment to be had.
Well... (late game spoilers)

I think the fact that
Shulk is dead and has been used by Zanza as a golem for the entire game
was bigger. And having
Bionis and Mechonis actually start to move, and Mechonis getting wrecked.
Not to mention the ending, of course.

But the first moment there is basically just to tel you that yes, it's going to be like that.

wsippel

Banned

Visiting Gaur Plains for the first time is a mind-blowing thing. It requires your attention, but the way they present it, music and all, is just amazing.

Also, the depth of the game is one severely underestimated aspect. There's so much background stuff that never gets fully explained. The whole White Spider thing for example. Or the Sage. There's so much shit relevant to the world that's just there - no explanation, no deeper meaning, no relevance to the story, but important nevertheless.

And I didn't spoiler tag that stuff for a reason, by the way... ;)

Oxx

Yeah, I spent a lot of time running around with some of the 'less important' characters, not thinking too much about the story. Then I'd trigger a cutscene and Shulk and friends would suddenly push to the front and hog the spotlight.

Finally got the final character. I feel almost too powerful now lol, I have so many characters with different playstyles, and I don't know what kind of team I should make.
Spoilers :
On one side I like using Shulk - [Reyn/Dunban] - Sharla, it gives me a medic and 2 attackers or 1 polyvalent attacker and one tank.
I use Shulk - Reyn - Dunban when I want to rush a single enemy, and I make sure I don't give him any room to breathe.
I also used Melia - Shulk - Sharla for a while, the fight would go like this : charging buffs -> launch the hexes -> Summon Bolt -> Copy -> Spear Break -> Sarlight Kick -> Elemental Discharge, lashe rinse & repeat, with the occasionnal combo. I wonder if you can upgrade SB and SK so that the recharging time would permit you to basically chaining them, ensuring the enemy stays on the floor while the other fighters would pound it.
As for 7th, I don't really know what to do with her. I guess I should preoccupy more about gems now (I didn't really care about gem synthesis until now...though Double Attack and all the strengh gem are really great).
As for Riki...he makes me laugh and that's about it. I never used him in battle apart for when the party was separated.
Do you have any advices ? Is the game near its end after getting the 7th character ? Am I weird to equip Sharla not with the strongest protection but with the best looking ?

Finally got the final character. I feel almost too powerful now lol, I have so many characters with different playstyles, and I don't know what kind of team I should make.
Spoilers :
On one side I like using Shulk - [Reyn/Dunban] - Sharla, it gives me a medic and 2 attackers or 1 polyvalent attacker and one tank.
I use Shulk - Reyn - Dunban when I want to rush a single enemy, and I make sure I don't give him any room to breathe.
I also used Melia - Shulk - Sharla for a while, the fight would go like this : charging buffs -> launch the hexes -> Summon Bolt -> Copy -> Spear Break -> Sarlight Kick -> Elemental Discharge, lashe rinse & repeat, with the occasionnal combo. I wonder if you can upgrade SB and SK so that the recharging time would permit you to basically chaining them, ensuring the enemy stays on the floor while the other fighters would pound it.
As for 7th, I don't really know what to do with her. I guess I should preoccupy more about gems now (I didn't really care about gem synthesis until now...though Double Attack and all the strengh gem are really great).
As for Riki...he makes me laugh and that's about it. I never used him in battle apart for when the party was separated.
Do you have any advices ? Is the game near its end after getting the 7th character ? Am I weird to equip Sharla not with the strongest protection but with the best looking ?
To answer your questions in order:

- In the later game, pay very close attention to gems. They can matter much more than levels (though levels matter). Beyond that, the characters you choose to play with are really up to you. The game allows you to play with the mechanics and switch things up, so find something that's comfortable and use it.

- No, the game isn't near the end at that point. You still have several areas and at least a dozen hours of gameplay left, depending on how fast you've been playing up until this point.

- No, you're not weird. Often the best armor is the most revealing, anyway.

Oxx

In spite of everyone saying that Sharla was probably expendable, I rocked
Melia/Sharla/F for the majority of the final third. 'Dunban's Angels'.

Levyne

Banned
You don't like Morph Ball Riki?

What I didn't understand about Riki is that I've give him body armor, and shorts would appear, then I'd change his leg armor and his backpack thing would change. I don't remember what his feet armor changed.

I ended up giving Shulk all Glory armor despite the built in gems, Reyn had Lancelot, Melia had Grace, 7th had the armor that looked mostly like what 7th starts with (Ether V I think), Dunban with Rondine zorro-eqse sorta stuff.

Long story short, yeah prioritize looks over function..haha

Top Bottom