• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles |OT| Man, what a bunch of jokers.

Fuck me I love this game and it has revitalized my Wii. Goddamn the RPG of this gen is on Wii ! Amazing

Playing with a CCPro black hotness.

Startup is traditionally slow but oh so unfrustrating: auto-completing side-quests when requirements are met, quick traveling from min. 1 and manually forwarding cutscenes. These things may sound trivial but they are not in JRPGs. Also a big fuck yeah to encounter choosing and the few battles I have had now are incredible.

Will post final impressions when finished. This could take a while :-D.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The wait I finally over - just bought my CC Edition. They already had to refill the the Xenoblade shelve twice this day....they really picked a great time to release it here in Europe ....

Diffense

I watched the beginning of the game in English and I have zero problem with the British VA.
But I also love watching the awesome classic Britcoms (Blackadder, Allo Allo, Keeping up appearances, Are you Being Served, Fawlty Towers).
So maybe I'm biased.

mclem

cw_sasuke said:
The wait I finally over - just bought my CC Edition. They already had to refill the the Xenoblade shelve twice this day....they really picked a great time to release it here in Europe ....

How full is 'full'? And how big a store was it?

weeaboo

Diffense said:
I watched the beginning of the game in English and I have zero problem with the British VA.
But I also love watching the awesome classic Britcoms (Blackadder, Allo Allo, Keeping up appearances, Are you Being Served, Fawlty Towers).
So maybe I'm biased.

The british dub is awesome, seriously

MechaX

I'm reading the Edge Review right now and I have to say my hype is actually skyrocketing. In terms of questing, this sentence caught my eye.

Edge Review said:
The influence of western MMOGs can also be felt in the side-quest structure, which sees you taking on as many missions as you can carry. Rather than taking the form of fetch quests, often these missions will be automatically cleared when the criteria are fulfilled, with no need to return to the quest giver to claim your rewards.

Even though it makes absolutely no sense from a realistic standpoint, I was absolutely hoping for something like this. I would have done a lot more hunts in FFXII if they had done something like this. Given how a majority of quests in JRPGs are badly designed/annoying/fetch quest-y, you people have no idea how happy this makes me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MechaX said:
I'm reading the Edge Review right now and I have to say my hype is actually skyrocketing. In terms of questing, this sentence caught my eye.

Even though it makes absolutely no sense from a realistic standpoint, I was absolutely hoping for something like this. I would have done a lot more hunts in FFXII if they had done something like this. Given how a majority of quests in JRPGs are badly designed/annoying/fetch quest-y, you people have no idea how happy this makes me.
Well from what I've heard the quests still often boil down to "kill this monster until you get X of this drop" but as soon as you get X drops you get "Quest complete!" and your reward instead of having to march back into town.

Aeana

For the quests that require drops from enemies, you can immediately complete them after accepting them if you already have the items. Also, (early game semi-spoiler)
after a while, the game will start giving you notice about items you're finding that are for quests you haven't accepted yet, using the Monado's future-seeing abilities

Even though the quests themselves are the same blah junk from other games, at least the implementation is much better.

MechaX said:

Having put around 3 hours into the game so far doing mostly Sidequests this is by far my favourite feature. I actually spent about 20 minutes looking for an NPC to complete one of my first Quests because I forgot where they where and didn't realise I had already gotten the reward.

CoolS

Good god, on the second area now and this is absolutely massive. And already so many high level mobs. Really feels like a single player MMO.

I still love everything expect that it's sometimes way to hard to find the mobs. I mean they tell me they are somewhere on the plains. Well the plains are massive!!!!!!

Hmm, I really like using a JP dub whenever the option is given to me but then again I'd like to be lazy and not have to read subtitles...

Zafir

The voices in the opening are pretty awesome in english. The main character and the lad you start out with, I'm on the fence about though. Not heard any of the other characters(Trying to avoid spoilers like the plague).

MechaX

Yeah, I think the implementation rather than the substance of the quest is what I appreciate the most. I have just created a distaste for the "Kill x of this monster and go back to town and find the NPC! oh wait, you accepted this quest like 20 hours ago and the NPC has moved/gone from the game/don't remember where s/he is/etc" approach.

Also, after watching the opening scene in prologue, I actually find the British VA kinda charming. At the very least, it's something different than listening to a Johnny Bosch/Yuri Lowenthal tag-team dub that I have already heard thousands of times before.

Roxas

GasProblem said:
The first thing everyone should do is going into options and change the camera speed to fastest. It's really slow by default.

This. Its still too slow for my liking though

kizmah

Just went to my local Gamestop and reserved one of the two copies they will receive tommorow. Unfortunately I wont be able to play it until sunday but I have a feeling this game is worth the wait. It's really getting some amazing reviews!

Zwei

Zafir said:
The voices in the opening are pretty awesome in english. The main character and the lad you start out with, I'm on the fence about though. Not heard any of the other characters(Trying to avoid spoilers like the plague).

It's interesting to hear voice-acting impressions from actual Englishmen. I rarely get to hear English accents, so I am thrilled to give Xenoblade a go. For whatever reason, English accents make my d*ck wet, that's all I'm saying. Male or female.

COME ON, POSTMAN!! HURRY UP!

StevePharma said:
Fuck me I love this game and it has revitalized my Wii. Goddamn the RPG of this gen is on Wii ! Amazing

To me, it makes sense that the best JRPG of this generation came out on Wii.

The downfall of the genre in recent years has been its general inability to reproduce the full "JRPG experience" on HD consoles. The additional resources that Xbox 360/PS3 graphics require have lead to cuts in other facets of development, resulting in more linear, more restrictive games gameplay-wise.

Xenoblade: Chronicles could be the genre's swansong on home consoles for awhile, since it was created under a fairly unique set of circumstances.

Just played it for three hours straight. I really, really like this game.
I would almost call the game design spectecular in some parts. There's just so much stuff about this game where you have to wonder why no other developer has approached the genre like that before. Just the way those many convenience features have been naturally implemented without dumbing down the experience is something to admire.

LiK

slaughterking said:
Just played it for three hours straight. I really, really like this game.
I would almost call the game design spectecular in some parts. There's just so much stuff about this game where you have to wonder why no other developer has approached the genre like that before. Just the way those many convenience features have been naturally implemented without dumbing down the experience is something to admire.

STOP MAKING ME FEEL MORE SUCKY THAT I NEED TO WAIT FOR IT.

:p

LProtag

So people in the UK are getting their GAME orders today. Hm. Maybe I'll have luck with Saturday? Haha, probably not. Still probably on a plane or whatever. At least I'm in CT and right near the coast.

DROP IT INTO MY ARMS PLANE!

Apenheul

Apenheul said:
The lens cleaning kit doesn't necessarily solve the problem. I have one and it made certain games that would often fail (e.g. Monster Hunter Tri, CoD: Black Ops) work again, but still not dual-layer games so I still can't play Xenoblade.

So I tried cleaning again but this time with 96% alcohol on the cleaning kit disc instead of the cleaning fluid that comes with it. Now dual-layer Wii games work again, including Xenoblade!

JADS

I must say the posters are pretty nice, didn't expect them to be this kind of quality. Hoping to get some game time in today.

sublimit

Banned
Hopefully amazon.uk will send it tommorow so i might have it by wednesday or thursday next week...(i'm in mainland Europe)

Oh, and I also think I prefer the English dub. I usually always tend to use the Japanese dub if given the option, but something about this excessive accent is doing it for me.
They don't have to talk that much during battles, though...

hiro4

sublimit said:
Hopefully amazon.uk will send it tommorow so i might have it by wednesday or thursday next week...(i'm in mainland Europe)
Just go my confirmation from them. So hopefully you are lucky too :).

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Played it for ~6 hours yesterday and loved a lot of it.

Story seems pretty standard fair thus far, but at least the characters seem to not be retarded/angsty. Also the voices and text move noticeably more quickly than most rpgs, which I am loving. The mouths not being lip synced to the voices is bothering me a lot though which kind of surprised me. This would not have bothered me 5 years ago but I guess I've become accustomed to higher standards nowadays.

I despise quests that involve kill x of y or collect 5 z's. So I'm pretty much ignoring the side quests entirely. I accept everyone one I chance across and if I accidentally complete it then great. Otherwise its never getting done. I like the collectibles 'quest' though because it gives me a reason to explore. That works better because, at least thus far, I can be certain that if I go everywhere once I will have filled it out. But overall I think the side quests would have been much better served if they cut the number down to 10% of what it is, but make that 10% more involved and thought out. Maybe this changes after the first couple areas?

I would prefer if enemy drops were more like collectibles and you just walked over them to pick them up rather than watching a chest open after every enemy kill. I find myself skipping some chests because I don't want to wait for battle to 'end', press a, watch it open, take all. A silly complaint perhaps but it comes up so often that it bothers me.

Inventory management is annoying. Is there a way to 'sell all junk'? It takes a shit load of button presses to sell my crap that I've built up after exploring for a while.

Ronian

Neo Member
Sales +1. I bought the CE before but will trade it for the single edition tomorrow. The CE is quite disappointing. First of all the box feels cheap and USK stuff all over the place. I thought at least the amaray box has only the PEGI logo, but inside again this shit. (I live in Austria and boycott this USK stuff since ages. I havent bought any game with USK logos before.)

Now it gets even worse: My game case looks like 10 dudes have played this game before. Damaged top and the front cover doesnt look brand new at all.

Ontopic: are those side quests good or just fetch quests etc?

Aeana

slayn said:
Inventory management is annoying. Is there a way to 'sell all junk'? It takes a shit load of button presses to sell my crap that I've built up after exploring for a while.
No, because most of the items have a use, so they're not really junk. It's at your discretion to sell things, but you might need them for something else later.

Seik

Banned
Glad to hear the English VA is good. I just saw 1-2 videos (trying not to spoil myself) in english and gotta say I love this english accent. The worst thing is that it may be one of the reasons why NoA won't release it in US.

Anyway, now my Wii is modded.. I was really on the fence about this. After doing it, I think modding is the best and coolest thing that ever happened to my Wii! I mean wow, saving my games in a USB drive is so perfect, my Wii is going to last so much longer now that the dvd-drive won't be used. Now that TLS and Pandora's Tower are confirmed for EU I can only say one thing: BRING IT! I'll omnomnomnom every each one of them! :D

The only thing left is that damn, frustrating, irritatingly eternal wait. Guess I'll get it monday or thuesday but MAN I'd play it this week-end.

Can't wait to play it!!!

Sadist

slaughterking said:
Oh, and I also think I prefer the English dub. I usually always tend to use the Japanese dub if given the option, but something about this excessive accent is doing it for me.
They don't have to talk that much during battles, though...
It's very very British.

Reveirg

How are the different battle themes used in the game?

Is there a regular theme and a boss theme? If so, which tracks from the OST are they?

Does the battle theme change for each area? (ala Kingdom Hearts)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Aeana said:
No, because most of the items have a use, so they're not really junk. It's at your discretion to sell things, but you might need them for something else later.
I was under the impression that junk that had a use had a red exclamation mark? And yeah a lot of them are for quests where you turn in x of them but after you complete the quest its not like that item stops dropping. At which point it becomes junk again.

Top Bottom