• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

McNum

I keep dying in the mines that are in the beginning of the game, da fck.
Currently lvl 7.
Let me guess, a caterpillar kills you?

That would be the welcome wagon. Unless you're really good at the game, avoid it. And even then you might want to run.

There are monsters that have decorated tags, those are unique monsters. If this song plays, you just aggroed one. Flight or fight time. (Or pause the game and rock out to the song.)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Or kill it when you're half it's level!

Oh wait.

But yeah, that's the first unique monsters you are really ran into (there are others that are lower level or that you can find earlier though), and it's a doozy. He's got abnormally high agility for his level, poison, and his attacks hurt a good bit too. Excluding my level 1 kill on NG+, my best win on him was at level 9.

Samyy

Or kill it when you're half it's level!

Oh wait.

But yeah, that's the first unique monsters you are really ran into (there are others that are lower level or that you can find earlier though), and it's a doozy. He's got abnormally high agility for his level, poison, and his attacks hurt a good bit too. Excluding my level 1 kill on NG+, my best win on him was at level 9.

Yea I just saw all my characters suddenly get poisoned and then I died about a second later, I was so confused. I can't even seem to fight some other monsters in there, I think I'm playing it wrong lol.

McNum

Yea I just saw all my characters suddenly get poisoned and then I died about a second later, I was so confused. I can't even seem to fight some other monsters in there, I think I'm playing it wrong lol.
I think I know the scenario here. You're just inside the entrance and there is this room with a pit and some grass, right? Inside the grass is death by caterpillar. When you head towards it, look to your left. There's a cave passage that leads to a bridge going over the room. You'll bypass the tough enemies and get to some nice and much easier enemies beyond it.

The game is telling you that you don't need to fight everything. Sometimes Xenoblade is a bit heavyhanded with its lessons.

Also, if it's the easier enemies you have trouble with, beat up some bunnies outside, level matters a lot in Xenoblade. It's nearly impossible to hit enemies 5 levels higher than you. (Unless you slot gems for it, but never mind that for now.)

Zornica

Banned
Oh and sometimes when I get those visions of future and I use monado power to shield it works, but sometimes it doesn't. I'm sure it isn't the shield lvl as I leveled it to lvl 6-7 I believe. Must be something I missed or forgot since I played last time :)

another thing that should be mentioned in the faq. There is a tutorial window for that, but most people miss it.

when you see a vision, the name of the incomming attack is writen in a specific color. that color tells you which type of attack it will be.

If it's red, it's a physical attack. you can block those with agility arts like monado speed, or just tell dunban, he will block nearly all of them.

if it's blue, it's an ether attack. they are hard to block. If you've got monado armor yet, use that, if not topple+daze your enemy or use sleep.

if it's white, it's a special attack, those can ONLY be blocked with monado shield, and monado shield ONLY blocks those visions, nothing else. you can however "earase" those visions with sleep (melia or sharla)

I could go more into detail, but I guess you get the picture.

Thx mate, I thought that all of the visions could be stopped with Monado shield.

Just one question:

Do I really get to explore Mechanis body

If so... Amazing... I'm blown away with the game, it could end right now and I would be eternally happy that I got the chance to play it!

How did it do in sales?

Samyy

I think I know the scenario here. You're just inside the entrance and there is this room with a pit and some grass, right? Inside the grass is death by caterpillar. When you head towards it, look to your left. There's a cave passage that leads to a bridge going over the room. You'll bypass the tough enemies and get to some nice and much easier enemies beyond it.

The game is telling you that you don't need to fight everything. Sometimes Xenoblade is a bit heavyhanded with its lessons.

Also, if it's the easier enemies you have trouble with, beat up some bunnies outside, level matters a lot in Xenoblade. It's nearly impossible to hit enemies 5 levels higher than you. (Unless you slot gems for it, but never mind that for now.)

Yea I think I'll level up some more since those other monsters in there are giving me some trouble. Buying a classic controller should also help, I hate the nunchuck - wiimote combo.

McNum

Thx mate, I thought that all of the visions could be stopped with Monado shield.

Just one question:

Do I really get to explore Mechanis body

If so... Amazing... I'm blown away with the game, it could end right now and I would be eternally happy that I got the chance to play it!

How did it do in sales?
About your spoiler...

It'd be a waste of a giant robot if you didn't, wouldn't it?

Hahaha wonderful!!!

With such a scope, how in hell can they keep up with pacing? (I'm a living proof of that as I can't stand filler for long, but this one has kept me captivated so far)

I can't wait to finish it so I can share some views with you guys. Oh and thanks for such quick and informative replays it helped me out so much.

*edit*

Is it just me or do Melias attacks cause major slowdowns in every battle? I just got the hang of Melia, Shulk and Dunban but it drives me mad to sit through all those slideshows :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't remember noticing that, but I haven't played the game on the Wii since the PAL release. Some areas had a pretty poor framerate, but I only remember one specifically and you're not there yet.

And damn this game. I thought of something else I want to try, but not until I finish the FF5FJF for this year.

Dunban vs Xenoblade. Single character challenge. Haven't decided what the rules will be. Will let you people help me decide.

If I do a NG+ reset, I don't know what I'd do about skill links, gems, or arts. For weapons and armor, I'd only use what I come across in-game. But that means a certain boss at the end of the Eryth Sea area will probably be effectively impossible -
I won't have any sort of anti-mechon weapon to fight Metal Face with, since Dunban won't come equipped with the anti-mechon glave in NG+. Can't topple without chain attacks, so that's out, but I MIGHT be able to daze him with Thunder.

For gems, I'd probably just start from scratch, because NG+ gems would probably give me too much of an advantage. That, or have a limit or just some specific gems I can use.

Likewise, for skill links, having a ton of coins and links could give me too much of an advantage. So I could either reset the affinity coins, limit myself to a specific number of skill links (maybe 5 or 6) or limit myself to a specific number of affinity coins. Leaning toward just resetting the coins since that will allow me to link up skills at will, but I'll still have to earn it on that playthrough.

And arts, I think I can find a code to reset my art levels while still keeping the arts themselves. Is having later arts early too big of an advantage?

Alternatively, I can just start a standard new game. This will fix the possible unbeatable boss issue, but I'll never be able to use any skill links which will probably make this ridiculously hard, if not impossible (unless I just grind to 5+ levels above most bosses, which defeats the purpose).

Seanspeed

Banned
I've gotten to the point of no return now. Is there an actual area where I'll still be fighting enemies and leveling up before I get to the end boss? I'm level
right now and I dont want to go there and realize I'm underleveled.

All the side stuff was fun while I was playing through it but its just too time consuming and not rewarding enough for me on its own and not being able to just progress a bit in the story as a break, so I'm giving up on Colony 6 and all the extra skill trees and whatnot. I'd like to actually finish the game, which isn't something I always do with long games like these.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've gotten to the point of no return now. Is there an actual area where I'll still be fighting enemies and leveling up before I get to the end boss? I'm level

All the side stuff was fun while I was playing through it but its just too time consuming and not rewarding enough for me on its own and not being able to just progress a bit in the story as a break, so I'm giving up on Colony 6 and all the extra skill trees and whatnot. I'd like to actually finish the game, which isn't something I always do with long games like these.

There's not really any normal enemies. You could probably level up once, but it just depends on how close you are.

I'd recommend getting at least one more level or you'll really struggle against the final boss. Two would probably be better since some people struggle a good amount at just one level higher than you are, but it's definitely doable at that level.

Damn, I have 4 reputation stars with Colony 9 and still can't get Shulk's
4th skill tree quest

Hahaha wonderful!!!

With such a scope, how in hell can they keep up with pacing? (I'm a living proof of that as I can't stand filler for long, but this one has kept me captivated so far)

I can't wait to finish it so I can share some views with you guys. Oh and thanks for such quick and informative replays it helped me out so much.

*edit*

Is it just me or do Melias attacks cause major slowdowns in every battle? I just got the hang of Melia, Shulk and Dunban but it drives me mad to sit through all those slideshows :(
The only times I ever have slowdown is when there are a lot of enemies and I'm using AoE attacks. It doesn't bother me because it just feels more dramatic.

Dunban vs Xenoblade. Single character challenge. Haven't decided what the rules will be. Will let you people help me decide.

If I do a NG+ reset, I don't know what I'd do about skill links, gems, or arts. For weapons and armor, I'd only use what I come across in-game. But that means a certain boss at the end of the Eryth Sea area will probably be effectively impossible -
I won't have any sort of anti-mechon weapon to fight Metal Face with, since Dunban won't come equipped with the anti-mechon glave in NG+. Can't topple without chain attacks, so that's out, but I MIGHT be able to daze him with Thunder.

For gems, I'd probably just start from scratch, because NG+ gems would probably give me too much of an advantage. That, or have a limit or just some specific gems I can use.

Likewise, for skill links, having a ton of coins and links could give me too much of an advantage. So I could either reset the affinity coins, limit myself to a specific number of skill links (maybe 5 or 6) or limit myself to a specific number of affinity coins. Leaning toward just resetting the coins since that will allow me to link up skills at will, but I'll still have to earn it on that playthrough.

And arts, I think I can find a code to reset my art levels while still keeping the arts themselves. Is having later arts early too big of an advantage?

Alternatively, I can just start a standard new game. This will fix the possible unbeatable boss issue, but I'll never be able to use any skill links which will probably make this ridiculously hard, if not impossible (unless I just grind to 5+ levels above most bosses, which defeats the purpose).
One option, regarding the gems, is to only allow yourself to use gem levels that you could realistically acquire at that point in the game. So, you might not normally have a bunch of Agility I gems starting out, but you could realistically acquire them at that point of the game, so they're valid.

I don't think having your arts immediately available is a big deal. Arts aren't like spells in most RPGs, where you get better ones as the game goes on. They should probably be brought back to base level, though.

I don't think it taints the run to bypass the unbeatable fight by using a party. It's not like that fight is hard anyway.

How do you do a single character challenge in this game anyway? I've never noticed an ability to make my party less than 3. It's an appealing idea, though.

IMO, levels aren't spoiler-worthy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
One option, regarding the gems, is to only allow yourself to use gem levels that you could realistically acquire at that point in the game. So, you might not normally have a bunch of Agility I gems starting out, but you could realistically acquire them at that point of the game, so they're valid.
Well, the problem is that I could load up with a bunch of I or II agility gems, but that would take up a lot of slots to equal a VI gem. So it's kind of an unfair advantage in that regard.

I might just see how it works out. If I find it problematic to only use weak gems I can find or craft normally at that point in the game, I might see about using some better ones.

I don't think having your arts immediately available is a big deal. Arts aren't like spells in most RPGs, where you get better ones as the game goes on. They should probably be brought back to base level, though.
Was definitely planning to set them at their base level. I agree though, I didn't really think it would give me any significant advantage.

I don't think it taints the run to bypass the unbeatable fight by using a party. It's not like that fight is hard anyway.
I kind of have a plan either way, it's just a matter of whether or not the NG+ one will work. Would just have to try it. But yeah, if I have to "cheat" to get by it, I won't let that stop me.

How do you do a single character challenge in this game anyway? I've never noticed an ability to make my party less than 3. It's an appealing idea, though.
Probably just going to rush to the point where I get Dunban. Then I'll leave the code active that resets levels for all the other characters so they'll stick to level 1 (or their starting level, if I can't force them to level 1). Will have to review the different options I have for things like exp multipliers, might be able to set it to 0 for everyone but Dunban and leave his at the normal rate. Roll with Shulk and Reyn at level 1 for the whole game and they won't add anything to the fights.

Seanspeed

Banned
There's not really any normal enemies. You could probably level up once, but it just depends on how close you are.

I'd recommend getting at least one more level or you'll really struggle against the final boss. Two would probably be better since some people struggle a good amount at just one level higher than you are, but it's definitely doable at that level.

Whelp, found out the hard way you're exactly right. I think I might want a few more levels. I didn't realize I wouldn't be able to save, either....

IMO, levels aren't spoiler-worthy.
Usually I wouldn't think so either, but it does kind of give away how close somebody is to the end.

Zornica

Banned
you could do a clean restart, no ng+, beat the game as fast as possible with the a full party. without any late game equipment, it should be pretty hard. also it's something I wanted to do for a long time, just to see how many enemies you'd have to kill to keep up with the level curve, or to have any chance at all against them.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So basically a speed run.

In my experience, the fastest way to level up is to kill unique monsters and discover the secret areas. If you do that, you should be able to rush through without doing much of anything else to gain experience and still keep up with the levels of bosses.

The main problem is with a run like that, you're probably still going to have to grind for equipment to be able to kill them. Can't see taking less than 20. Even under 25 seems like it would be difficult and require a fair bit of luck.

It would probably take multiple runs to really nail everything. Most efficient routes, which UMs to kill when, which sidequests to accept (things you can easily complete along the main quest with extremely little extra effort), where to grind for equipment, etc.

A lot of spoilers following:

Well Mechonis just awakened and a lot of poor Homs fell from his sword. Right now I'm lvl 67 and saw Seanspeed was 77 close to the final boss.

I wonder if I'm to low lvl or? If yes where should I grind?

Oh and I hope that Dickson doesn't end up a D*ck in the end

Game of the generation, no doubt about it!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of spoilers following:

Well Mechonis just awakened and a lot of poor Homs fell from his sword. Right now I'm lvl 67 and saw Seanspeed was 77 close to the final boss.

I wonder if I'm to low lvl or? If yes where should I grind?

Oh and I hope that Dickson doesn't end up a D*ck in the end

Game of the generation, no doubt about it!

You might be a little underleveled. You could probably beat the next part without worrying about leveling up, but the next area will be really challenging, a bit of a difficulty spike there.

When you go back in Mechonis, you can take the warp point under the walkway to go back to the Factory. From there you can also return to Agniratha, because the developers forgot to block off the teleporter to take you there (lol). I'd recommend getting a level or two there before continuing the story, it will make a big difference in the next major area.

Edit: Damn. New Page. Still interested in more input for this:

I won't have any sort of anti-mechon weapon to fight Metal Face with, since Dunban won't come equipped with the anti-mechon glaive in NG+. Can't topple without chain attacks, so that's out, but I MIGHT be able to daze him with Thunder.

I feel like I'm out on quests at Colony 9. My reputation is at 4 stars, but Desiree still won't give Shulk the quest. Do I need to do quests elsewhere to open up more at Colony 9, or am I missing something?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I'm out on quests at Colony 9. My reputation is at 4 stars, but Desiree still won't give Shulk the quest. Do I need to do quests elsewhere to open up more at Colony 9, or am I missing something?

Best bet is to use your affinity chart as reference and talk to every single named NPC in Colony 9 twice. You'll either find a quest (or quests), or you'll gain affinity from some random conversations.

And I think the Tephra Cave quests are also linked to your Colony 9 affinity, so you can do those too if you haven't.

You need almost every single bit of affinity possible prior to a certain event (where more quests open up) to have enough for that quest to unlock.

Best bet is to use your affinity chart as reference and talk to every single named NPC in Colony 9 twice. You'll either find a quest (or quests), or you'll gain affinity from some random conversations.

And I think the Tephra Cave quests are also linked to your Colony 9 affinity, so you can do those too if you haven't.

You need almost every single bit of affinity possible prior to a certain event (where more quests open up) to have enough for that quest to unlock.
Ah, I see. I was starting to wonder if maybe I couldn't access the quest yet. Shulk's skill trees are all maxed out right now, and it bothers me that he's not getting anything from fighting. I'll run around and say hello to everyone, then.

So I think I failed a quest, which I didn't know was possible... It was the one where
you have to get either a sword or a shield for Emmy Leater in Colony 9, and I couldn't find the sword so I just went with the shield, and then she lost, which made me lose affinity with Colony 9.
If I had gotten her the
sword
instead, would things have turned out differently? Or do you fail either way?

So I think I failed a quest, which I didn't know was possible... It was the one where
you have to get either a sword or a shield for Emmy Leater in Colony 9, and I couldn't find the sword so I just went with the shield, and then she lost, which made me lose affinity with Colony 9.
If I had gotten her the
sword

Nope, and arguably the result would have been even worse. You did fine. There will be more to that quest.

If I had gotten her the
sword
If you get the sword, she wins but hates you for encouraging her to be dishonorable. You lose rep either way.

Well I just entered

the body of the Bionis and am level 70 right now... Damn I just want to finish it and see what happens next :) Am missing Steam sale as well but damn game is worth it :p I just killed a lvl 75 monster without to much trouble: Melia, Shulk and Dunban.

How much do I have left? Roughly...

McNum

Well I just entered

the body of the Bionis and am level 70 right now... Damn I just want to finish it and see what happens next :) Am missing Steam sale as well but damn game is worth it :p I just killed a lvl 75 monster without to much trouble: Melia, Shulk and Dunban.

Late game spoilers:
You're almost there, it's the second to last dungeon you're in, but there's a nasty boss waiting ahead. Be ready. And remember you can give your party members commands.

After that, it's time for the final dungeon, you'll know it from the music. It sounds like a final dungeon song should.

Don't worry about the point of no return in the final dungeon, they practically put up a sign telling you when it is and you even get a cutscene warning you that, yes, this is it. You may want to be level 79-80 before going through there.

Nope, and arguably the result would have been even worse. You did fine. There will be more to that quest.

If you get the sword, she wins but hates you for encouraging her to be dishonorable. You lose rep either way.
All right, that's good to hear. I was afraid that the drop in affinity would prevent me from unlocking
Shulk's 4th skill tree
, but it turns out it didn't matter, as I went and was able to unlock it anyway.

Well I just entered

Wow, have you not been doing any sidequests or anything? Just a little while ago you were still at the beginning of the game, and now you're like twice as far as me (in terms of main storyline progression)...

All right, that's good to hear. I was afraid that the drop in affinity would prevent me from unlocking
Shulk's 4th skill tree
, but it turns out it didn't matter, as I went and was able to unlock it anyway.
Any idea if a particular quest made Desiree interested in talking to you about the quest?

Zornica

Banned
Any idea if a particular quest made Desiree interested in talking to you about the quest?

no, but you need connections und the affinity chart between certain people.
can't remember exactly to whom... betty, the artist guy, some dude from the military... there were a few you need to talk to. talk to npc's as often as possible until they start repeating the same stuff over and over again.

Wow, have you not been doing any sidequests or anything? Just a little while ago you were still at the beginning of the game, and now you're like twice as far as me (in terms of main storyline progression)...

I think its both skipping some sidequests and playing like a man possessed :) I have skipped the whole Colony 6 stuff for example and don't have 4th skill tree for anyone. I just played as much as I could these few days following the story, and now I have to grind :p But its ok

I went to sleep last night after this post and will try and finish the game today, hope the ending is satisfactory :)

Should I give all Ether Up to Melia?

@McNum
How do you mean I can give my party members commands?

Ugh, Eryth Sea storyline is so boring and tedious :(. Can't wait to get back to just exploring and roaming about. You really should be able to skip all cutscenes.

McNum

@McNum
How do you mean I can give my party members commands?
To issue party commands, on the Classic Controller, at least, hold down Zr and use the D-Pad. You can have the party focus on your target, attack at will, or break off and come to you.

You'll see why especially come to me is useful in the next boss fight...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, Eryth Sea storyline is so boring and tedious :(. Can't wait to get back to just exploring and roaming about. You really should be able to skip all cutscenes.

You can skip every cutscene.

But the story in that area is more important than anything prior, so it's worth paying attention to.

You can skip every cutscene.

But the story in that area is more important than anything prior, so it's worth paying attention to.

Ah, didn't realize plus had a separate menu, thanks!

Even if the plot points are important the story is so overwrought and nonsensical I just cringe through the whole thing. It's a pity because the core mechanics and the world construction are generally so great.

To issue party commands, on the Classic Controller, at least, hold down Zr and use the D-Pad. You can have the party focus on your target, attack at will, or break off and come to you.

You'll see why especially come to me is useful in the next boss fight...

Ah got it :) I thought that you were able to control your party arts :) Sadly no time to play today yet but I'll take a shot at it again this evening. Hopefully I can finish it tonight as well.

Already feel void this game is going to leave after it is done :(

Uthred

Quick question, do auras stack? Got bored of Shulk and decided to main Dunban for a while, but I dont want to waste time cycling through four auras if only one "counts"

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Quick question, do auras stack? Got bored of Shulk and decided to main Dunban for a while, but I dont want to waste time cycling through four auras if only one "counts"

Nope, one counts.

Serene Heart is quite easily the best one (boosts agility), but Spirit Breath is really good too and has it's uses (up to 95% haste, and clears debuffs).

Jaws of Death can also be useful, since it works like Last Stand and revives Dunban if he goes down, but unlike Last Stand it has other benefits - increases the party gauge if Dunban does go down, and he gets a brief 1.5x art damage boost.

None of the rest are really good enough to be worth using over Serene Heart or Spirit Breath, IMO.

Uthred

Nope, one counts.

Serene Heart is quite easily the best one (boosts agility), but Spirit Breath is really good too and has it's uses (up to 95% haste, and clears debuffs).

Jaws of Death can also be useful, since it works like Last Stand and revives Dunban if he goes down, but unlike Last Stand it has other benefits - increases the party gauge if Dunban does go down, and he gets a brief 1.5x art damage boost.

None of the rest are really good enough to be worth using over Serene Heart or Spirit Breath, IMO.

Serene Heart it is then, cheers

Ooooook I beat the boss in
Bionis Body
on my second try. Lvl 72 party. And now am the point of no return. Do I dare go in or do I go and grind? And where should I grind?

Damn my rushing through :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ooooook I beat the boss in
Bionis Body
on my second try. Lvl 72 party. And now am the point of no return. Do I dare go in or do I go and grind? And where should I grind?

Damn my rushing through :)

The weird teleporter thing after that boss isn't the point of no return. A party member will explicitly tell you in a cutscene that you won't be able to return, and that's how you'll know you're there.

You can level up a fair bit in the next area, but the best way to do it would be to hunt down the unique monsters in the area you just finished, and then the ones in the next area. You should be able to get high enough level for the final boss pretty easily.

StAidan

Finished today. My save file right before the point of no return was at 96 hours, and my party was level 81 (nearly 83 by the time I reached the final boss).

I ended up doing a small handful of sidequests before hitting the last dungeon because I had a lot of the quest items on hand already, so I was higher level than I originally figured I'd be (those "postgame" quests hand out an awful lot of XP).

The biggest bummer I have at this point is that I was only a single Black Liver Bean short of finishing Colony 6.

About the storyline/ending:

- Dickson's last stand was pretty awesome.
- I was glad things didn't really get too crazy or unbelievable toward the end.
- The ending was "just right," in my opinion. It delivered a satisfying conclusion to the story without being extravagant. Felt a little sorry for Melia.

At some point I might go back to the game and play with more of the postgame content, but for now I'll move on to other things. This was one of the best games I've ever played.

And that's that.

Nope, one counts.

What about the aura that gives you auto-criticals?

What are your thoughts on Reyn's auras? I look at those and am pretty unimpressed with everything but Berserker.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What about the aura that gives you auto-criticals?

What are your thoughts on Reyn's auras? I look at those and am pretty unimpressed with everything but Berserker.

I don't really think it's worth it for a number of reasons, unless you're topple locking since criticals build the party gauge up.

Agility > Everything else, so +50% to both evasion and accuracy easily makes it the best aura in the entire game, and +75% at low health is pretty insane too. I mean, he was dodging a good number of Abaasy's attacks... at level 55...

Spirit Breath should deal more damage than Heat Haze in the end, since criticals only add +25% damage (+45% with a proper skill link). Peerless would also be better for damage, with a maximum 145% strength increase.

Battle Eye and Heat Haze are the only two of his auras I really don't like. Peerless just loses points for it's worthless secondary effect, and Jaws of Death is very situational.

As for Reyn's, Berserk is awesome. Rage is alright, boosts defense and adds spike damage. I'm not sure if I'd use it much outside the beginning of the game though. And Last Stand is like Jaws of Death, but not as good.

Cheska

Took a break for a while to focus on some shorter games and tried to yet again get back into Xeno but jeez am I having a hard time with one of the early bosses. Colony 6:
Does anyone have any tips for beating Xord? I just can't seem to make it past his second wave of summons.

Top Bottom