• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Zornica

Banned
My rebuilding of Colony 6 has halted because I apparently have no Red Frontiers. I have a crapton of the other items but I only need 2 Red Frontiers and they apparently don't drop in Colony 6 (I got to Level 5 Special). Does anyone know if someone trades them?

Also there are a couple items I don't know if I'm screwed on. I killed the Tirkin chief early in the game and probably sold/dropped the medal and I'm assuming the dragon from Prison Island (or the one from Three Sage Summit?) drops the Demonic Everflame, which I didn't get (didn't fight the ice dragon yet). It's funny I completed
the other 4 Monado quests
, I hope they weren't missable. :p

@red frontier:
you can trade it in hidden village with someone whos active from 6 to 18 called leana in the japanese version. you need 5 stars with the hidden village.
there aren't that many npc's,
so she shouldn't be that hard to find.

@missables: there aren't any.
you can make the tirkin chief respawn. just go to his place, and force the map to reload
either by changing the time or reloading a save game. it will take a few tries, but eventually he will respawn.
chests are random, so you can save next to it, open it, and reload until you get what you wanted.

MisterHero

Thanks for the response. :)

I did try changing the time for the Tirkin Chief on a few occasions but maybe the conditions weren't quite right (time+weather).

I want to complete as much as I can before I start a new game! (200+ hours in Game 1 already o_o)

Zornica

Banned
you don't need to actually change the time, just set it to whatever time it curently is and confirm.
I am not sure if there are any conditions to that boss.
there are a few tirkin chiefs on the field, could you tell me the coordinates so I can look it up
( http://xenobladedata.web.fc2.com/data/ma_0301_kleg.gif )
(unique monsters are purple)

edit: scratch that, as far as I can tell, all tirkin uniques just require good weather, maybe daylight. so no rain or thunderstorms.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I need help because I'm losing patience here.

I'm at
Agniratha
, and I'm trying to complete all the sidequests from the area. However, I'm unable to find any New Part S to complete the first
beautification quest
. They just don't drop. I've farmed
M57/Dreads and the other small helicopter mechons
for more than an hour, and they never freaking drop their common loot. I only manage to get silver chests form them, which only contain
advanced parts
. Is there some kind of trick to get four of these items?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I need help because I'm losing patience here.

I'm at
Agniratha
, and I'm trying to complete all the sidequests from the area. However, I'm unable to find any New Part S to complete the first
beautification quest
. They just don't drop. I've farmed
M57/Dreads and the other small helicopter mechons
for more than an hour, and they never freaking drop their common loot. I only manage to get silver chests form them, which only contain
advanced parts
. Is there some kind of trick to get four of these items?

Killing single enemies and not group mobs is the trick to getting brown chest drops.

I think it's only dropped by the claw Mechon, not the helicopter ones. It is M55s though I think. I don't remember how to describe where the single one is, but you can farm it and get them quickly. I think it's at the far north end of the "main road." There's that and a flying Mechon unit, separate mobs. It's right above the unique flying Mechon, and the the three patrolling M55s.

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Killing single enemies and not group mobs is the trick to getting brown chest drops.

I think it's only dropped by the claw Mechon, not the helicopter ones. It is M55s though I think. I don't remember how to describe where the single one is, but you can farm it and get them quickly. I think it's at the far north end of the "main road." There's that and a flying Mechon unit, separate mobs. It's right above the unique flying Mechon, and the the three patrolling M55s.

Thanks for the information!

MBison

How much longer do I have?

I just beat
Jade Face
and heading into
Central Factory

I generally do side quests but don't go super out of my way to do so.

Btw I'm level 61 and my save is about 51 hours.

Enjoying the game a lot but getting close to wanting to move on :)

How does the post-game work? Do you save after you're done, and then it reloads you at the point of no return, and now stuff is unlocked?

Zornica

Banned
How much longer do I have?

I just beat
Jade Face
and heading into
Central Factory

I generally do side quests but don't go super out of my way to do so.

Btw I'm level 61 and my save is about 51 hours.

Enjoying the game a lot but getting close to wanting to move on :)

still a couple of hours left, but storywise the best hours of the entire game.

How does the post-game work? Do you save after you're done, and then it reloads you at the point of no return, and now stuff is unlocked?

if you save after the last boss, you'll start a ng+ from the beginning. you are supposed to save before the point of no return.
everything beyond
lvl 80 is already "post game".

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It's basically everything that opens up after
Mechonis Core - the deeper parts of Tephra cave, several level 99+ unique monsters start appearing, a bunch of new quests appear, most with an 80+ level requirement to beat the enemies needed, and the quests for the 5th skill trees are available

Like Zornica said, you need to keep a save at the point of no return, or just don't save after the final boss and it will just kick you back to the main menu. Then you can load your point of no return save and keep doing stuff.

I'd recommend beating the final boss when you get to it, but keep a save (or just don't start NG+). Because it's kind of anti-climactic when you do the post-game stuff first as some people have, then fight the final boss after you've done everything else in the game and it can't even touch you.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny seeing people talk about how Sharla is "required" for boss fights/unique monsters/whatever.

It would probably be neat to see some kind of statistics on how many people use her for the entire game. I bet it's probably well over 50%. I admit I abused her for my entire first playthrough, before I finally realized I didn't need her once I started toying with the optional post game stuff. I think I made up for it on my second playthrough though :lol

ultron87

Made my first run at the final bosses the other day starting at level 75 moving into the point of no return. Everything went pretty well till I got to
when Zanza's second form summons helper dudes. This killed me pretty quickly.

I'll probably go back and level a bit more before trying again. I'll also go do quests to get stuff like the
extra Monado Arts
that I missed along the way.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'll probably go back and level a bit more before trying again. I'll also go do quests to get stuff like the
extra Monado Arts
that I missed along the way.

Depending on which you missed, that's kind of a big deal.
Monado Armor is probably the best art in the entire game.
Hopefully you've got points to dump in that.

Exeunt

It's funny seeing people talk about how Sharla is "required" for boss fights/unique monsters/whatever.

It would probably be neat to see some kind of statistics on how many people use her for the entire game. I bet it's probably well over 50%. I admit I abused her for my entire first playthrough, before I finally realized I didn't need her once I started toying with the optional post game stuff. I think I made up for it on my second playthrough though :lol

I'm actually kind of surprised when I read those posts; I dumped Sharla pretty much immediately after I had four characters to choose from and only took her out for affinity-building purposes. I guess she seems to fill the typical "healer" spot during the stretch when she is in the party and a lot of people feel safer with that familiar role being played. The game also features zero potions or in-battle items so I suppose people might feel obligated to have a dedicated "healer" in their party as a safety net.

ultron87

I'm definitely guilty of using Sharla for all boss fights. If 15 years of videogames have taught me anything it is that a 3-person RPG party is a Tank, a Healer, and DPS. I'm sure other stuff is effective as well, but at this point I'll just be stuck in my ways into the end game. That and Shulk, Sharla, and Dunban are my only team with max affinity and I'm probably not going to take the time to get others up (though Melia is pretty close with the three of them too). If I decide to pursue some post-game stuff I'll start trying out other teams.

The fact that I refuse to put Riki in my party on principle probably limits my options as well.

So I got back from camp a week ago and went on a major Xenoblade binge since then, and I've beat it now. I was kind of over-leveled for the final boss, but whatever.
Random thoughts:
• I like how Colony 6's music changes as you level it up.
• I was kind of annoyed at how
Sword Valley
was closed off with no warning. Oh well, at least the next areas to get closed off had (some sort of) a warning before them. Still, it kind of ruined my plan of walking from one end of the world completely on foot just to figure out how long it took.
•
The world feels kind of unbalanced without the Mechonis in it. Part of the original draw to the game was the duality between the biological nature of the Bionis and the mechanical nature of the Mechonis, and once that symmetry gets broken, the world becomes somewhat less interesting.
• I was kind of surprised to find out that Despotic Arsene was
just a bunnit. Sure, a level 108 bunnit that killed me easily, but still, the way people talked about it in this thread, I thought it was a giant monster on the scale of some of the other high-level uniques, such as Blizzard Belzagas or Avalanche Abaasy or something... Anyway it's still kinda funny.
• I was glad when I got that High Entia unlocking thing trinket, as I was wondering if that elevator in Satorl was ever going to work again.

Random questions:
• There's a heart-to-heart in Alcamoth that I can't get to any more now that
the teleporters are all dead and landmarks are unusable.
Did I miss out on it completely? I'm guessing I didn't, but I just want to be sure...
• The unique Kromar on the Kromar Shore in the Eryth Sea is kind of annoying with his spike that puts you to sleep and how he just destroys a party's tension. Is there any way to avoid these things he does besides using a bunch of situational gems, or grinding up to a higher level?
• Is there any point to completing all the "post game" stuff besides being a completionist? I mean, I'd kind of like to, but if the rewards for doing the extra stuff aren't really worth it, I might just put this game down for something else for a while...
• Also, one thing I've been wondering throughout the game that never really got answered: Where were Colonies 1-5, 7, and 8? Seeing as you end up traveling pretty much the entirety of Bionis in the game, it doesn't seem like there's really much room left for 7 more colonies out there...
• Also, along the lines of things the game left unexplained, I never really did get a satisfying in-universe explanation for why the party size limit was only 3 characters. This was especially annoying when there were cutscenes where the characters were like, "Come on guys, this boss can't beat all of us at once!" and then you go to fight that boss and there are only 3 of you.

After you told me she wasn't required, I dropped her and was surprised at how little healing my team really needs. I put her back in for boss fights out of fear, but lately I've been playing without her entirely, and I'm amazed by how unnecessary she is. It's a shame that you're obligated to fill half of her slots with healing abilities, it would be cool to have her as a pure DPS character.

It's a shame that you're obligated to fill half of her slots with healing abilities, it would be cool to have her as a pure DPS character.
You're not "obligated" to do anything with her. Next chance I get I want to try to set up a loadout for her with no healing abilities in it; I bet it will work better than one might think.

Random questions:
Did I miss out on it completely? I'm guessing I didn't, but I just want to be sure...
• The unique Kromar on the Kromar Shore in the Eryth Sea is kind of annoying with his spike that puts you to sleep and how he just destroys a party's tension. Is there any way to avoid these things he does besides using a bunch of situational gems, or grinding up to a higher level?
• Is there any point to completing all the "post game" stuff besides being a completionist? I mean, I'd kind of like to, but if the rewards for doing the extra stuff aren't really worth it, I might just put this game down for something else for a while...
• Also, one thing I've been wondering throughout the game that never really got answered: Where were Colonies 1-5, 7, and 8? Seeing as you end up traveling pretty much the entirety of Bionis in the game, it doesn't seem like there's really much room left for 7 more colonies out there...
• Also, along the lines of things the game left unexplained, I never really did get a satisfying in-universe explanation for why the party size limit was only 3 characters. This was especially annoying when there were cutscenes where the characters were like, "Come on guys, this boss can't beat all of us at once!" and then you go to fight that boss and there are only 3 of you.

1. I believe you will be able to access them after a few side quests.

2. I'm not sure whether or not magic is affected by its Sleep Spike. I just powered through with brute force. It takes a while, but doable. You can let your partners attack while you mash B (Wii Remote) to wake them up as soon as they fall asleep. It's actually a very effective way to build Affinity.

3. I don't think there is a reward for doing everything. It's just a challenge, really.

4. I never bothered with this. Perhaps they were abandoned years prior to the story. They probably don't exist.

5. Are party limitations ever explained? I'm seriously asking.

ultron87

There should be plenty of room for the other colonies.
You take one path straight up the Bionis and dont really explore any of the lower areas. There is at least an entire side of it that you miss including an arm, leg, and shoulder along with a lot of the back.

You're not "obligated" to do anything with her. Next chance I get I want to try to set up a loadout for her with no healing abilities in it; I bet it will work better than one might think.
Yeah, you can use her auras, but they're pretty terrible. There's no point in not loading her with some healing stuff.

5. Are party limitations ever explained? I'm seriously asking.
Chrono Trigger explains your party limitation. Makes me happy.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Edit: Didn't realize there was another page, oh well.

Yes, you can access that later through a quest.

Maxed debuff resist is not a situational gem since it protects you from literally everything except topple and daze, but you need to kill a level 98 enemy to get those crystals. It's doable at lower levels if you know what you're doing.

You'll need some kind of resistance for him though. Even if you don't have 100% sleep/debuff resist.

Not really. The game does a pretty poor job of rewarding you for doing all of it. The only thing that's really rewarding is killing the level 100+ enemies, especially if you can do it without ridiculously cheap tactics like topple locking. Or doing it at level 55 without topple locking! That video has spoilers up to Fa
llen
A
rm
, for anyone not finished with the game.

Presumably they were already destroyed by Mechon. There was something about there being more Colonies at one point, but they were gone now. And there were areas that the game didn't really touch, the left arm for example (there's a cut area on the left shoulder).

I think it's a case of there just not being one, it's all for gameplay purposes.

After you told me she wasn't required, I dropped her and was surprised at how little healing my team really needs. I put her back in for boss fights out of fear, but lately I've been playing without her entirely, and I'm amazed by how unnecessary she is. It's a shame that you're obligated to fill half of her slots with healing abilities, it would be cool to have her as a pure DPS character.

On my low level playthrough I used her a little with no healing abilities. She's always going to suck with DPS, the only worse character is probably Melia with melee only :)lol) but she has other support abilities to take advantage of.

MBison

Ok I'm at the

Discipled Lorithia fight in the heart of the Bionis

and getting my ass kicked.

I am level 73 and not sure who my party should be to try and survive this. This is the first real challenge I've had. I have enjoyed the game but after 61 hours I'm ready to move on and battle after battle at the end here is getting a little frustrating :)

Any tips would be appreciated!

She summons four elemental things, I try to kill those first but they just come back over and over again. If I leave them alone, I just get worked. Is there any chance other than just leveling up, which is god awful slow and boring? Sigh.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Either use ether attacks or focus toppling and dazing since that removes the physical attack barrier. Killing the summons also removes it but they get resummoned, and it's time consuming to kil those.

MBison

Ok after trying like 6 times with other party configs, I tried Shulk, Riki, and Sharla and beat it in the first time. Sharla + Riki + Shulk heal helped out a lot. I would kill one summon to allow me to beat down the boss a little better then go to the boss, rinse repeat.

The most annoying element was my party members getting tossed in the lake, reducing their health to zero and me having to go revive them in there. Aigh.

Anyhow, thanks :)

MBison

If I'm just level 73-74, is it impossible for me to just go straight to the ending and survive or do i need to grind some. Or is there enough enemies in the last area to get my leveled enough? ugh. I dont want to grind :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You definitely can't rush to the ending at that level. "Grinding" is pretty fast and easy though. Just hunt down all the unique enemies in
Bionis Interior and Prison Island
and you should be fine, and probably get some nice rewards too. Normal enemies along the way wouldn't hurt either.

KarmaCow

If I'm just level 73-74, is it impossible for me to just go straight to the ending and survive or do i need to grind some. Or is there enough enemies in the last area to get my leveled enough? ugh. I dont want to grind :(

If you're right before the point of no return, you'll probably need a level or two to get to 76. That's about where the accuracy penalty from being too low level isn't extreme.

ultron87

Beat it last night at level 76. Bosses were good and challenging. 59 hours was final playtime.

I liked the
it was Earth all along (kinda sorta) twist.

What was the symbol that appeared on the True Monado? I think there's a line of dialogue where Shulk reacts to it.

Probably going to take a break for awhile but I might come back and do some post-game stuff.

McNum

Beat it last night at level 76. Bosses were good and challenging. 59 hours was final playtime.

I liked the
it was Earth all along (kinda sorta) twist.

What was the symbol that appeared on the True Monado? I think there's a line of dialogue where Shulk reacts to it.

Probably going to take a break for awhile but I might come back and do some post-game stuff.
I can answer that endgame question of yours.

The symbol is "God". Just as it was "Machine" when the Monado was first switched on and "Human" or "Person" when it got upgraded to Monado II. Basically, the symbol shows what it can hurt. Hence the name of the final boss battle theme: "The God-slaying Sword", because that's exactly what the True Monado is.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
76 is pretty good for a first playthrough. Curious what party/setup you used to hit the final boss consistently since most people seem to struggle at 78 or so (final boss is actually level
even though the level isn't shown).

I'd guess the agility penalty doesn't affect him since no level is actually displayed, but I was missing pretty consistently during the daytime at level 55.

MBison

Yeah I'm 79 and getting WORKED by the last boss. Any tips would be appreciated. UGH. I was annihilating everything in the final area up to this point but this thing is obliterating me.

I don't want to reload some old save and level up :(

ultron87

I just went with the traditional combo of Shulk, Dunban, and Sharla. Shulk and Dunban were maxed on agility which I imagine helped with hitting it.

In terms of specific strategy I don't think I did much special beyond
burning down the additional helper guys he summons as quickly as possible and removing the few Spike Defense gems I had on because he didn't seem to do any Spike damage the first time I tried him. And the obvious stuff like always catching the prompt to get a vision and using the appropriate Monado skill to counter.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You should be able to beat it at 79 without too much trouble, assuming you're set up well. You obviously want Shulk around to manage visions.

If you're really struggling, having Riki with DoT attacks (bleed, poison, blaze, etc) plus his healing art and Sharla loaded up with healing arts is pretty much the cheap way to go. Riki has a crap load of HP and can tank (his spike aura is a good choice if he is tanking), his DoT attacks aren't too strong but the DoT effects will deal a lot of damage (especially if you boost them with gems), plus all three characters have healing abilities.

Prioritize defensive skill links if you're having trouble with taking damage. You could also do some offensive combos if you have the coins for it (things to increase the party gauge faster + chain rate up + chain damage up + heal after chains on the whole party), but if you're struggling at level 79 that's probably getting into stuff that's over your head and/or you don't have the affinity coins for.

Edit: For the record, that tactic pretty much applies to anything. Shulk+Riki+Sharla is the broken/cheap party. It's not particularly fun, but you can win pretty much any fight through attrition with a crap ton of healing, Riki's DoT and crazy HP, and the Monado countering visions.

TunaLover

Hi guys
I wonder if there's some faq about all the sidequest availables, and how get the max afinity level in each area. In spanish if possible =P

Gunsmithx

So 33 hours in and just started doing some side quests in eryth sea, loving the game so far. One thing I've noticed is while I normally stick to one party set up in these types of games this one has me swapping out members fairly often. Also great is listening to my room mate bitch about the 'marshmellows'(nepon)

Conor 419

Banned
Is there any way to nominate this game for some kind of award? I'd go as far to say that it's probably the pinnacle of human artistic achievement.

aceface

Just beat the game last night. Shulk/seventh/Sharla with Shulk at 78 and seventh/Sharla at 77. For the final boss I just had to remember to save my Monado use and my party gague. I was using chain attacks and Monado attacks in my previous attempts at the final boss (usually to wipe out those minions he summons) and I would get caught flat footed on an attack vision that would wipe out my whole party. I couldn't charge the Monado fast enough and got wiped out. Once I started playing conservatively, holding on to the Monado attacks and the party gauge, I was fine.

Questions about the ending...
I liked how they brought it back to earth, but I was a bit confused as to what happened with that experiment Zanza did to create this new universe. Did his experiment wipe out the existing universe (and with it earth, etc) and create the nothingness in its place? Or did he create a new universe within the old universe somehow? Or, was everything inside a computer? After the ending is over, what is the nature of the world now? Are they just on one planet in the universe now?

aceface

Is there any way to nominate this game for some kind of award? I'd go as far to say that it's probably the pinnacle of human artistic achievement.

I was thinking about this last night after beating the game. I think you could definitely make a strong argument for Xenoblade being the best jrpg of all time.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Questions about the ending...
I liked how they brought it back to earth, but I was a bit confused as to what happened with that experiment Zanza did to create this new universe. Did his experiment wipe out the existing universe (and with it earth, etc) and create the nothingness in its place? Or did he create a new universe within the old universe somehow? Or, was everything inside a computer? After the ending is over, what is the nature of the world now? Are they just on one planet in the universe now?

Klaus destroyed the universe, but created the new universe in it's place. Alvis was basically the computer/program he used to do this.

Alvis, upon creating the new universe, put Meyneth and Klaus (who apparently changed his name to Zanza because Klaus is lame) in the new universe with godlike qualities so it would have something to examine. And it's why Alvis was so interested in Shulk, he basically existed "beyond" the rules (they refer to this a several times throughout the game, even as early as Prison Island, but it's easy to miss).

Shulk was responsible for using Alvis to create a new universe, so he asked for a universe without "gods" like Meyneth and Zanza. So Alvis basically keeps the data for the inhabitants of Zanza and Meyneth's universe and transfers them to the new universe. The end seems to imply that Alvis restored the previous universe rather than creating something entirely new.

aceface

Klaus destroyed the universe, but created the new universe in it's place. Alvis was basically the computer/program he used to do this.

Alvis, upon creating the new universe, put Meyneth and Klaus (who apparently changed his name to Zanza because Klaus is lame) in the new universe with godlike qualities so it would have something to examine. And it's why Alvis was so interested in Shulk, he basically existed "beyond" the rules (they refer to this a several times throughout the game, even as early as Prison Island, but it's easy to miss).

Shulk was responsible for using Alvis to create a new universe, so he asked for a universe without "gods" like Meyneth and Zanza. So Alvis basically keeps the data for the inhabitants of Zanza and Meyneth's universe and transfers them to the new universe. The end seems to imply that Alvis restored the previous universe rather than creating something entirely new.

Ah ok (more on the ending)...
It's pretty wacky that Klaus/Zanza could destroy the whole universe by hitting a button. You'd think they would keep that button better protected...or something...no one else there seemed to mind except Meyneth being like "no, don't do it!" heh

aceface

I had no idea Yoko Shimomura did composition for this game until I saw the end credits. Did she do most of the music, or just a handful of songs? Also, is there anywhere to legally download or get the soundtrack in North America relatively cheap?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
She only did a few tracks. From what I remember, she did the main theme, songs for the prologue, the Colony 9 area songs, and the main battle theme. Mitsuda did the vocal theme. Everything else was ACE+.

Edit: Details here, she did a little more than I thought.

And as far as I know you'll just have to import the OST. Not sure where you could get the best price. It's 4 discs.

Top Bottom