• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Ceebs

I think I am just straight up bad at this game. I am getting destroyed by the unique lizard in that very first dungeon at lvl 8. Any help?

Zornica

Banned
I think I am just straight up bad at this game. I am getting destroyed by the unique lizard in that very first dungeon at lvl 8. Any help?

Its an unique enemy, if you can't beat it yet, ignore it.
You don't have to kill everything. Just run past it

StAidan

Well heck, this has been a pretty entertaining ride so far, but now that I've passed
Mechonis
Core, the story is really bringing the crazy.

Dickson's betrayal was basically a no-brainer since they'd been throwing obvious hints for a while at that point. I felt like most everything else came out of left field, though -- with Shulk being Zanza's vessel or whatnot. And all of a sudden there're Monados all over the place.

Not quite sure I can make out Alvis' role in this yet, although Shulk seems to know based on the cutscene I just saw (right before the Telethia fight at Colony 6).

Hope I'm pretty close to the end, but at the same time I'll be sorry to be done.

I really need to hop back into this game. Stopped at the 27 hour mark, at
Satorl Marsh
. Completed all the side quests for Gaur Plains, working on the place I'm at now. Also, is it even worth creating your own gems? I had to because I ran out of space to pick more up, but it seems like the gems you create in the first 20 or so hours are pretty bad. Can only create levels 1-3 so far, it also doesn't help that I have no idea how the gem crafting works. Really wish they replaced it with something else. And is it worth having Reyn in your party? I took him out for
Dunban
. And
Sharla
is pretty beastly party member, will be keeping in my party until someone of similar job skill comes along.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man,
Valak Mountain
was such a let down, I was so happy to meet a rich/beautiful open world to found a barren land that only goes in a down slope, it's very frustrating keep the camera in the right spot. I wish they could having include more details to the mountains and the floor, adding trees could be cool, I like blizardas but they could be way more impressive with alot more snow effects, they could make that easily since they are not many objects on screen.

You can change an option so the camera doesn't readjust to the landscape. It really helps in that area. But otherwise, yeah, it's a pretty boring area that serves little purpose.

Dickson's betrayal was basically a no-brainer since they'd been throwing obvious hints for a while at that point. I felt like most everything else came out of left field, though -- with Shulk being Zanza's vessel or whatnot. And all of a sudden there're Monados all over the place.

Actually, a lot of stuff has been foreshadowed a TON, especially
Shulk being Zanza
, but also
the whole high entia/Telethia thing

If you replay the game knowing what happens toward the end, you'll see so many hints you'll wonder how it all slipped by you in the first place.

And regarding your other comment,
Meyneth also has a Monado since she was a god like Zanza. It just wasn't in the form of a weapon like Zanza's. The device on Fiora's chest was actually the Monado, and the games goes into that a little when it talks about Fiora possibly not surviving because of her body. Cool little tidbit, when Fiora solo-fights Zanza, she uses Meyneth's Monado.

I really need to hop back into this game. Stopped at the 27 hour mark, at
Satorl Marsh
. Completed all the side quests for Gaur Plains, working on the place I'm at now. Also, is it even worth creating your own gems? I had to because I ran out of space to pick more up, but it seems like the gems you create in the first 20 or so hours are pretty bad. Can only create levels 1-3 so far, it also doesn't help that I have no idea how the gem crafting works. Really wish they replaced it with something else. And is it worth having Reyn in your party? I took him out for
Dunban
. And
Sharla
is pretty beastly party member, will be keeping in my party until someone of similar job skill comes along.

Gem crafting isn't terribly useful early on in the game. Making some agility gems is probably worth it, but not really anything else. There's a guide to gem crafting linked in the OP that gives a rundown on how it all works, since the in-game tutorial does a poor job explaining all the details.

Later on, gem crafting is extremely useful. Especially for the optional/post-game content.

And every character has their own strengths and weaknesses, benefits, etc. The game encourages you to switch up your party somewhat regularly to increase affinity between characters, which allows you to use more skill links, do longer chain attacks, and things like that.

No character is ever going to "replace" Sharla. Only two other characters have decent healing arts, and one of them is Shulk. Regardless, you don't need to use her. I'd consider her the "bottom tier" character for the majority of the game. Her shield art is okay, she can daze, but she only has one red art, her damage output is abysmal, and apart from that all she's really good for is healing. In the end, her healing only helps make up for the fact battles drag on longer with her in the party since you'll inevitably take more damage. Also, her healing arts drive up aggro a ton, so you'll want to use things like art stealth gems on her.

I know people in this thread have capture equipment. So this request goes out to you fine folk. I'm working on an extensive article for a game site and Xenoblade, while not the focus of the article, gets touched on. I would really appreciate some help getting a few high quality, specific images of the game. If you think you might like to help me out, drop me an IM for details. Thanks in advance!

aceface

I think I'm at the point of no return...
I just returned to Junks and I'm getting ready to fly their spaceship into Mechonis
is that it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just returned to Junks and I'm getting ready to fly their spaceship into Mechonis
is that it?

That marks the point of no return for pretty much every timed event in the game, but it's not the last point of no return.

For the last one, a party member will specifically mention that you won't be able to return.

Zornica

Banned
is that it?

if you're talking about the point of no return for alcamoths timed quests,
yes it is.

btw: when in doubt, why not just save and move on to see what happens, and reload if it actually was a point of "no return"? Reloading won't take a minute.

Kamek

I'm about to cry with happiness.

Backstory:

Last year, I bricked my Wii right at the second Gadolt fight and lost my save data. This past Monday, I finally somehow and I don't know HOW i did it, procured another PAL save file (my Wii is NTSC) right at that point). I AM FINALLY ABOUT TO BEAT THE GAME. :'( So I'm about level 76 and I FINALLY beat Dickson 2 and then ZANZA owns me. Little did I know, when Dunban said, you can't go back - he meant it. Fuck. So I did some leveling and I'm at 80 now. Hopefully that and my paltry gem selection will be enough to beat Zanza. Ugh I wish I could save after Dickson 2. It's a lot of game without saving til what I presume is the end.

Kamek

Loved and remembered the story, and finally beat the game!!

logged about 81 hours to endgame, but...

the ending went into some zoo hypothesis shit that i did NOT see coming. So the entire world was some kind of computer experiment? Is this how any of the Xenosaga games were? I know they have nothign to do with each other, but I'm asking if there's any link at all. I never played them, the only Xeno game i played was Xenogears, but this caught me off guard as hell.

MBison

Ok this is kind of a newb post sorry, some has been asked before I'm sure.

I'm 27 hours in, level 40, at
eryth sea

A few things.

I finally ran out of inventory. I've just been hording and now I can't pick up crystals. I haven't made any gems and not even sure how I would get back to Colony 9 or if I can do it some other way.

So 1) what times can I safely sell? I think someone mentioned little bag icons vs big bag icons. Some have orange exclamations I assume those I want to keep. Others have white?

2) someone just said gems aren't that good now, making them. Should I just sell all the crystals and start over?

3) any tips for finding quest givers when you need to return to them? Some of them move etc. on the same page what about special quest monsters. I go to the spot and check all times and nothing sometimes. The guy at the Windmill Pavillion is one.

I just want to add this game is amazing on Dolphin. Playing at 1080p, some areas are just breathtaking especially the use of colors. Had one crash in 27 hours and the only other weird bug is my 360 controller A button seems to not work sometimes.

Thanks for the help! I'll probably have more questions :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok this is kind of a newb post sorry, some has been asked before I'm sure.

I'm 27 hours in, level 40, at
eryth sea

A few things.

I finally ran out of inventory. I've just been hording and now I can't pick up crystals. I haven't made any gems and not even sure how I would get back to Colony 9 or if I can do it some other way.

So 1) what times can I safely sell? I think someone mentioned little bag icons vs big bag icons. Some have orange exclamations I assume those I want to keep. Others have white?

2) someone just said gems aren't that good now, making them. Should I just sell all the crystals and start over?

3) any tips for finding quest givers when you need to return to them? Some of them move etc. on the same page what about special quest monsters. I go to the spot and check all times and nothing sometimes. The guy at the Windmill Pavillion is one.

I just want to add this game is amazing on Dolphin. Playing at 1080p, some areas are just breathtaking especially the use of colors. Had one crash in 27 hours and the only other weird bug is my 360 controller A button seems to not work sometimes.

Thanks for the help! I'll probably have more questions :)
Some of your questions are answered in the OP. You can generally safely sell items with small bag icons and be okay, especially older and very low value ones. Even if you end up needing them for a quest they are easy to get.

You can sell off your rank 1 and 2 crystals. I think you are getting rank 3 ones by that point. If there is something you specifically need you can craft some okay gems. Agiliy would be a good choice if you have any rank 3 crystals.

And I don't really have any specific advice for the third question, assuming you're checking the quest log for the closest landmark. There is a document with a list of npcs and locations, and he wiki for the game as well, but both are very spoiler heavy.

My preparations to take on the superbosses are nearly complete. I mega heated all of the rank VI gems I wanted, I got all of the best weapons, most of the best armor, and I've almost gotten every skill tree. It's funny because I procrastinated on getting them until I was a really high level, so I actually got a few characters' 5th skill trees before I got their 4th. I've also hunted down a good number of the uniques that I missed; the added affinity coins have been useful.

I thought I'd be burnt out on this game by now, but I'm not. It's fun getting my characters all decked out. I feel like such a badass now that I can stroll up to those level 90+ uniques that used to terrorize me and just kick the crap out of them.

My eventual plan is to get all of the best possible equipment, beat the final boss again, and leave a save file right at the beginning of the NG+ for when I want to jump back in and do a speed replay of the game. Someone on GameFAQs (or maybe it was IGN) claimed to do a 4 hour 12 minute speed run of the game. I doubt I could do that, but still, blazing through the game as fast as possible actually sounds pretty fun.

ivysaur12

Banned
Beyond the Sky just came on randomly during shuffle, and I came to check in on this thread. Glad to see that it's still going strong.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My preparations to take on the superbosses are nearly complete. I mega heated all of the rank VI gems I wanted, I got all of the best weapons, most of the best armor, and I've almost gotten every skill tree. It's funny because I procrastinated on getting them until I was a really high level, so I actually got a few characters' 5th skill trees before I got their 4th. I've also hunted down a good number of the uniques that I missed; the added affinity coins have been useful.

I thought I'd be burnt out on this game by now, but I'm not. It's fun getting my characters all decked out. I feel like such a badass now that I can stroll up to those level 90+ uniques that used to terrorize me and just kick the crap out of them.

My eventual plan is to get all of the best possible equipment, beat the final boss again, and leave a save file right at the beginning of the NG+ for when I want to jump back in and do a speed replay of the game. Someone on GameFAQs (or maybe it was IGN) claimed to do a 4 hour 12 minute speed run of the game. I doubt I could do that, but still, blazing through the game as fast as possible actually sounds pretty fun.
Skip all the cutscenes and any optional fights in NG+, maybe use quickstep and some movement speed skill links. I'm at
Bionis Interior, second visit
at 20 or so hours in on my low level run. That's with some UM hunting for affinity coins, watching some of the major cutscenes again, and some general screwing around.

Zornica

Banned

the guy at the windmill is there somwhere around 12:00.

if it helps you, I've got spawn maps for every npc in alcamoth and frontier village:

Frontier lower
Frontier Upper
Alcamoth
they show time + spawn location.

Here's a question: Do Spike Defense gems help you resist Topple/Daze spikes? Or do you need Topple/Daze Resist gems for that? Just preparing for Belgazas.

Skip all the cutscenes and any optional fights in NG+, maybe use quickstep and some movement speed skill links. I'm at
Bionis Interior, second visit
at 20 or so hours in on my low level run. That's with some UM hunting for affinity coins, watching some of the major cutscenes again, and some general screwing around.

Yeah, he said that he was using Quick Step VI and both of the running speed skill links. I forget what other gems he used, but since I'm level 99 I'm thinking Strength Up, Ether Up, Agility Up, and Debuff Resist (this is all on Shulk). For my weapons I'm thinking I'll use Attack Plus and Attack Stability gems for the first half of the game, in hopes of quickly killing bosses with arts spam. Later on when bosses last a bit longer, I'll go back to using Double Attack, Critical Up, and Back Attack Plus.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Spike defense protects against all spike damage. But you really shouldn't need to topple lock Blizzard Belgazas at level 99. I mean, I beat him without toppling at level 79/80... but after Abaasy at 55 I don't think anyone is going to listen to me. :lol Still not sure how I'm going to upload that at full resolution.

And if you're level 99, just max strength with gems + skill links (Riki is good for this, +50 strength and +15% at night, and Reyn has +10% weapon damage, there are some others IIRC), and use a maxed back attack gem. Remember that crit rate also affects arts, so boost that up. On NG+ you get an obvious benefit there, and you can link with the +20% crit damage skill. And don't forget to use Shadow Eye before Back Slash for 1.5x damage.

In the end, you should be able to 1 shot anything for like half the game. And even later on in the game nothing will be a threat to you, they'll just have a bit more durability. Not using chains would be a good idea, because they're kind of slow and as much as you'll outlevel the enemies, you'll probably just lower your DPS in the end.

And rather than using Shulk, you could main Reyn with the strength + back attack setup and use Berserk + Sword Drive from behind. Could do more than Back Slash? Not sure.

For this setup I'd probably roll with Attack Stability, Back Attack, and Critical Up on the weapon, all megaheat/VI gems obviously. On armor, 2x strength, haste (glory gaunts), debuff resist, and quickstep. Haste could be swapped for topple/daze resist if/when necessary.

Edit: Alright, I think I'm done editing.

A bunch of questions about skills:
1) Quick Walk caps out at 25%, but I can pick more up from skills. Does this take me over the limit?

2) Do I ever get something to let me jump higher?

3A) If I have a skill on Riki that gives me +X% chance on gold treasure drops, but Riki is not the party lead, does it affect my drops?

3B) If 3A's answer is yes, does linking it to the lead give me double the chance, and linking it to the third member triple?

3C) Same question as 3A and 3B, but for crystal mining.

4) A character only has the skills in his own tree, right? I ask because none of my guys have the "Medium Armor" skill, but many of them can still equip it. This makes me wonder if all of my skills are active all the time for that character, and I'm just choosing a stat bonus.

5) Does Riki's "Steal AP" skill benefit characters who are not on the battlefield?

6) Assuming the answer to 4 is "yes", is there ever a way to get skills from multiple branches? For example, I'd like to get 10% more aggro on attacks for Dunban while also getting 30% more aggro for not having armor.

7) If a skill has a 20% activation rate through Battle Start Affinity, does it matter how accurate my timing is on the BSA?

8) What is the difference between setting 7th up for Attack or Speed? I mean, why choose one over the other, assuming I want to use Power for tanking as intended?

9) Do Melia's elemental auras stack? It seems like it, because if I stack wind 3 times no one gets hit, haha.

10) One of Riki's skills talks about "trading" items. I don't know what this is in reference to.

Thanks again to any who answer!

Thanks for the info chaos. I'm on my phone right now so I can't give a long reply, but I just wanted to say LOL, because I just took out Despotic Arsene unplanned with a ragtag party.

I was questing in the area with Sharla, Shulk, and Melia when it aggroed on me, and I said fuck it, let's just see how far I can get. We got our asses whooped — especially because AI Melia sucks and I didn't have Sharla's Shield art equipped — but I was able to keep us alive with her heals and some well-timed Monado A
rmours
when the visions came. Eventually we whittled it down; it probably took around 10 minutes. Man that was fun. And it dropped the Glory Gauntlets!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A bunch of questions about skills:
1) Quick Walk caps out at 25%, but I can pick more up from skills. Does this take me over the limit?
Yes, the limit is only for gems and not a total/overall limit so you can go higher with skills.

2) Do I ever get something to let me jump higher?
Nope.

3A) If I have a skill on Riki that gives me +X% chance on gold treasure drops, but Riki is not the party lead, does it affect my drops?

3B) If 3A's answer is yes, does linking it to the lead give me double the chance, and linking it to the third member triple?

3C) Same question as 3A and 3B, but for crystal mining.
Yeah, it works as long as he (or any character with it linked) is in the party. And all skills stack. And remember, the icon for the skill is meaningful. I think if it's colored blue it means a skill is only active in certain situations (like at night, or when fighting higher leveled enemies). And if the icon shows three people, it affects the whole party, versus icons that show one person which only affect the character with the skill.

4) A character only has the skills in his own tree, right? I ask because none of my guys have the "Medium Armor" skill, but many of them can still equip it. This makes me wonder if all of my skills are active all the time for that character, and I'm just choosing a stat bonus.

6) Assuming the answer to 4 is "yes", is there ever a way to get skills from multiple branches? For example, I'd like to get 10% more aggro on attacks for Dunban while also getting 30% more aggro for not having armor.
A character only has their own skills plus whatever skills you link. And skills are always active once they are unlocked, not just the branch you have selected. Selecting branches does 2 things, first, it puts SP in that branch to unlock skills, and secondly, each branch has a bonus when selected.

5) Does Riki's "Steal AP" skill benefit characters who are not on the battlefield?
I think it works like any other exp/AP/SP gain where characters not participating get it, but at a reduced rate (unless they have the proper skill link with Riki).

7) If a skill has a 20% activation rate through Battle Start Affinity, does it matter how accurate my timing is on the BSA?
Nope, it's a flat percentage.

8) What is the difference between setting 7th up for Attack or Speed? I mean, why choose one over the other, assuming I want to use Power for tanking as intended?

When it comes down to it, it's a bit like the light/medium/heavy armor. Speed is light, Attack and Ether are medium, and Power is heavy. Since speed focuses on agility and haste and the armor only has a weight of 1, it's always what I've gone with. The ranked sets (I, II, III, etc) are all unique, and I don't really think it's worth using full sets of those since some of the parts give redundant bonuses. You're better off mixing and matching from some of the non-ranked sets (I know there's like F-speed, H-speed, Z-speed) that have open slots.

I tend to use light armor for pretty much everything though, except Reyn. http://i.minus.com/iSnTIdoVnLw36.jpg

9) Do Melia's elemental auras stack? It seems like it, because if I stack wind 3 times no one gets hit, haha.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they stack. Someone previously said they didn't think they did, but I don't think that's right.

10) One of Riki's skills talks about "trading" items. I don't know what this is in reference to.
You can trade with named NPCs to get various items, equipment, etc. I think you hit Y on the classic controller to bring that up.

My mind is blown about the trading info. I had no idea (somehow). Is it worth it to go around trying this? Do I get rep or anything?

Yeah, it works as long as he (or any character with it linked) is in the party. And all skills stack. And remember, the icon for the skill is meaningful. I think if it's colored blue it means a skill is only active in certain situations (like at night, or when fighting higher leveled enemies). And if the icon shows three people, it affects the whole party, versus icons that show one person which only affect the character with the skill.
So to clarify, if Riki has gold treasure +4%, and I link that to Melia and Reyn, and all three are in a party, I have a +12% chance?

Awesome that I don't have to choose which skills are active on a character's own trees. Some of those trees were looking pretty useless on their own. This will restructure the way I play this game.

Edit: Oh, and that image you provided "wow"ed me. There's a goal to shoot for. I'm glad gems eventually max out their own categories at 1/gem. I thought I'd have to stack agility all over the place and my gemming would be uninteresting.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My mind is blown about the trading info. I had no idea (somehow). Is it worth it to go around trying this? Do I get rep or anything?

So to clarify, if Riki has gold treasure +4%, and I link that to Melia and Reyn, and all three are in a party, I have a +12% chance?

Awesome that I don't have to choose which skills are active on a character's own trees. Some of those trees were looking pretty useless on their own. This will restructure the way I play this game.

Edit: Oh, and that image you provided "wow"ed me. There's a goal to shoot for. I'm glad gems eventually max out their own categories at 1/gem. I thought I'd have to stack agility all over the place and my gemming would be uninteresting.

Right, each party member would provide a 4% boost.

And a lot of VI gems will require pretty high levels (90+ enemies) so don't expect to get them at the level I have them :lol

Right, each party member would provide a 4% boost.

And a lot of VI gems will require pretty high levels (90+ enemies) so don't expect to get them at the level I have them :lol
A similar question: does each party member having a movement speed boost stack for the party leader? Previously I thought it was a complete waste of space on the non-leader.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A similar question: does each party member having a movement speed boost stack for the party leader? Previously I thought it was a complete waste of space on the non-leader.
Gems only work for the party member they are equipped on. Don't remember if the skills are for a single character or the party. I think it's one character, so they won't stack.

Gems only work for the party member they are equipped on. Don't remember if the skills are for a single character or the party. I think it's one character, so they won't stack.
Yeah, I was referring to the skills. Thanks for all your answers. I'm glad you're doing a low level run so you have a reason to check this thread, haha.

Finally beat the game the other day.

Amazing ending, both as in final area, bosses and story twists. Pretty rarely for me to be this satisfied by a game ending. I was lvl
78 when arriving at Prison Island
so I decided to skip pretty much all optional mobs and luckily only leveled up once, which meant that the end fights managed to provide somewhat of a challenge (I had some pretty damn good VI gems though, had to remove some of them to make it more fun).
Crazy what the story turned into, but really cool how it made sense why you were where you were during the final path to the end-boss.

Today I then reassumed the game to start on the post game content and beat up all UM in the final area and some other places. Then as I was fighting a lvl 86 unique in Satorl Marsh the game froze up on me. Damn, first time that has happened to me, even though my Wii is from launch. I usually have to reinsert the disc several times before every play session in order for the disc reader to work properly. Tried loading up the game just now and it gave me an error. Unplugged the Wii and hopefully cooling it off will help.

Oh well at least I got to beat the game if anything else.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I turned off Connect24 and have never had issues with my near-launch Wii.

Yeah, I was referring to the skills. Thanks for all your answers. I'm glad you're doing a low level run so you have a reason to check this thread, haha.

I'd probably be here anyway. And I haven't played since last weekend, apart from getting screens for DragonGirl. Planning to finish up my low level run this weekend though, still just four bosses left. Going to finish out at 55, I mean, I've already beaten the highest level monster in the game at this level :lol

Well,
Lorithia
was a bigger pain in the ass than expected. Really struggled to deal any damage and for whatever reason my accuracy sucked in this fight too, so it went on foreeever (11 minutes exactly). And in the final dungeon enemies actually pose a threat, which makes things pretty fun. The forced encounters here gave me more of a run for my money than expected, and that lead up to a rather disappointing encounter with
the dragon guardian
that went down pretty easy once I toppled him.

So just two bosses left. Expecting a challenge, something most of this playthrough hasn't actually provided!

Red UFO

Just finished this. Brilliant game. Not sure how I feel about the left turn the story takes towards the end
or the even SHARPER left turn it takes after you kill Zanza and it reveals his origins.
The game does a good job of fixing pretty much everything that is wrong with the JRPG genre, minus the left turn thing that they tend to do. Really enjoyed it.
Although I have to say, the scene where Shulk gets shot in the back and we find out it wasn't really him in there had my jaw on the floor.

Just some scattered thoughts I had as the credits rolled.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
All my low level boss videos uploaded up to the second to last boss.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEEC8BFED144A74B9

Considering these are boss videos they obviously contain spoilers.

Did beat the second to last one
Dickson
but then Dolphin went and crashed so I have to redo it. Have the video though, will upload it along with the final boss later. Then Abaasy, probably Monday, and it will probably take all day.

Edit: Alright, done!

And yes, the final boss was actually difficult. More so than Abaasy.

All three parts were pretty rough with characters going down. The second was the worst for sure, but that's the main part of the battle so it's to be expected. Dragged on for 11 minutes, and Zanza and his gaurdians all dealt really heavy damage. Was tough keeping everyone alive. Then the first attempt at the third form actually ended up going into the day, and I lost. Fortunately it restarts you right at that battle, and I was able to change the time of day back to 19:00 and beat him, but it was still tough.

I'm not sure that fight is beatable much lower than what I did it, if it is at all. I mean, yeah, maybe you could do it at... 54? I struggled quite a bit at 55 even with post-game equipment/gems and 350+ affinity coins worth of skill links though. Even though he's not immune to topple, you can't daze him, and he seems to have a limited topple time resist (maybe 33%). So topple locking isn't a viable tactic without Topple Plus.

Links contain spoilers up to Fa
llen
A
rm

Final party, pretty much the same as I had for Abaasy but now taken at night to reflect some proper stats.

http://i.minus.com/ierxlBhyrYe3h.jpg

Come along way since the first low level Abaasy kill, the "bad" one loaded with chains and topples.

http://i.minus.com/ibbVbttDa71yxF.jpg

But not really a significant change from my second kill.

http://i.minus.com/iRH7GG9jTXfaW.jpg

I'll go into some skill link details once I upload the rest of the videos.

Also :lol

ibaYoRUKI53gw5.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How come when I play as Melia her Elemental burst mode will sometimes only last for like a second?

Are you using Burst End or Mind Blast? Both of those instantly drain the talent gauge and end burst mode.

Apart from that I'm not sure, it almost seems random how long it lasts. I've had it last like 45 seconds before, and other times it only lasts long enough to get a few attacks off.

And damn it. Why do I still want to play this game? I'll probably do another quick challenge. Solo something with 7th (so much utility). And I never used Thunder even though I've been extremely curious as to what that art looked like, since it hits enemies behind him. So I should try that.

Wonder what would be impressive to solo at level 56. Not much, all the UM's that would be a good level are gone.

Yeah my Wii's disc drive is pretty much dead. Before it used to just send out these agonizing sounds when playing Brawl or recently with my Xenoblade playthrough. And I would normally need to reload the xeno disc a couple of times before the disc reader would pick it up. But yesterday it stopped reading dual layered discs completely and today it stopped working on single layer discs as well.

Of course right as my summer vacation started XD.

I still had at least 20 hours of playtime left in Xenoblade, but I'm extremely happy that it bricked 2 hours after I completed the main game and not halfway through or something. And hey this was my last Wii game anyway.

Now Wii U can't come soon enough so I can finish this amazing game. One of the very best experiences I've had with Wii. Everything from the amazing voice acting, fun gameplay and incredible setting.

vic2020

Neo Member
Are you using Burst End or Mind Blast? Both of those instantly drain the talent gauge and end burst mode.

I've been able to use both Burst End and Mind Blast in quick succession of each other. But sometimes burst mode will trigger and go away before I can use either.

Damn time flies... I remember when I got this last summer and was all happy and giddy and played it for a bit, but than I just stopped. I remember almost nothing of the story

Bit about the Monado, and some backstory on all the characters and I remember that I've got to
Melias town and even got past it
but not much more.

So is there a page where I can freshen up on the story so far? I've probably forgotten about the combat as well but I'll be back here for that one :p

So I've been reconstructing Colony 6 a little more, and I've found the city building aspects to be a little wanting. Basically they're just fetch-quests without the convenience of having a checklist like you do with normal quests. I was kind of hoping for more of a SimCity-like experience, where the way you choose to build stuff matters more. For example, if I only build housing but no shops, I'd expect the citizens to get mad about no one to buy stuff from. Likewise, if I focused on commerce but not housing, I'd expect the shopkeepers to go out of business because no one was around to buy their stuff. Anyway, at least I have the portable gem crafting furnace now, so at least that's made it worth it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been reconstructing Colony 6 a little more, and I've found the city building aspects to be a little wanting. Basically they're just fetch-quests without the convenience of having a checklist like you do with normal quests. I was kind of hoping for more of a SimCity-like experience, where the way you choose to build stuff matters more. For example, if I only build housing but no shops, I'd expect the citizens to get mad about no one to buy stuff from. Likewise, if I focused on commerce but not housing, I'd expect the shopkeepers to go out of business because no one was around to buy their stuff. Anyway, at least I have the portable gem crafting furnace now, so at least that's made it worth it.

Well, each area does offer you different benefits. Nature increases the rank of crystals in the ether mines. Commerce adds more shops, some of which have exclusive merchandise. Special lets you get collectables. A good number of which are actually missable and required for quests or, ironically enough, further Colony 6 reconstruction.

Edit: Alright, all the videos are uploaded, including Abaasy. Contains spoilers up to Fa
llen
A
rm
, didn't want them to appear in the thumbnail so I used a shortened URL.

http://bit.ly/NB6AVU

Haven't written anything up for it, but there it is.

Well I need help :)

I started playing again this morning and after a while I got my bearings back.

So I'm at Eryth sea again lvl 36 with Shulk, Reyn and Sharla. I'm at the place where I need to save some worker from 4 Defensive Kromar (also lvl 36).

Needless to say they kick my butt all the time and in best case I get to down one of them. Am I doing something wrong or do I just need to level a bit more? If so where would be a good place to lvl for a bit?

BTW Shulk has the lowest damage of all my guys, is that normal?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Shulk's damage/the Monado's strength is based on Shulk's level. So at that point in the game it's entirely possible for him to be kind of weak compared to others if they have good weapons.

Level 36 is fine. Basic checklist for people struggling:

You're arts are leveled up? This makes a huge difference.

You're taking advantage of skill links? You probably can't use a whole lot early on, but these can literally make the impossible, possible. My low level playthrough is pretty much evidence of this.

Make sure you're taking advantage of chain attacks and topple/daze when you get the chance.

If you're just taking too much damage, you might need some better armor. Remember that heavy/high defense armor is not always the best bet since it reduces your agility and has lower ether defense than lighter armor.

Well somehow I managed to defeat them. I really don't know where one of them went as I only remember killing three of them :p

Anyway, my arts are somehow leveled up, some of them are lvl 4 and some are lvl 8.
Are there any arts setups that are better than others?

Like Reyn and Sharla don't have that many damage arts so I concentrated on Sharlas healing and Reyn... I don't know what I did with him :p

No idea but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just buying the art books doesn't raise the art levels, you have to spend AP on each art to level it up. By default you can level up an art to IV, and with an intermediate book you can get them to VII.

What arts you use generally just depend on your playstyle. An easy example is Dunban's Heat Haze. It's a fantastic art - an aura that gives him 100% critical hits and makes his talent gauge fill faster. But it also reduces his aggro by 100%, and most people play Dunban as an agility tank, so that's not a good aura to use in that situation (Serene Heart, on the other hand, is a great aura for a tanking Dunban).

Reyn is a tank that emphases defense and strength. I'd give him a good all-purpose aura - Rage or Berserk are good, but pretty much polar opposites (one offense, one defense). Last Stand can be useful in some situations, but it's probably not worth dragging around most of the time against non-threatening enemies. Wild Down is pretty much a must have, as is Shield Bash. Sword Drive is extremely powerful. Great when combined with Berserk + Magnum Charge, you can tear up most enemies extremely quickly that way.

Sharla is pretty much a 100% support character. Not a lot in the way of offense. Apart from the three main healing arts, shield bullet is useful to negate some damage. Aura bullet is nice to extend auras. Head Shaker for daze should be kept around. If you have room Head Shot is a good art to combine with that since it gives a chance to 1HKO a dazed enemy.

One thing about Sharla I don't really like is the total lack of red arts. Makes chain attacks really weak.

Well sadly looks like I missed on a lot of book arts as I'm fully leveled on some of them but they are only at lvl 4.

1. Would changing Reyn for Dunban be better in my current situation? (I know some people run with Melia, Shulk and Dunban and I tried it but failed miserably, perhaps it is better to do at higher levels)
2. And also how do I find rest of those Art books?
3. I've read about Colony 6 and rebuilding it. Is it something I should check out (ie. will it give me some edge in battle and/or added story)?

All in all I feel bad that I made this long break from the game. Can you give me some info on:

I remember when battling the flying thingie with Melia (one that almost killed her) and afterwards there was this young looking guy with almost the same flying thingie (my memory could be fooling me). And now it looks like he is some kind of Seer. Is that correct or am I confusing things. Also that one women kinda wanted Melia to die/fail, whats her deal?

I'll probably have a lot more story related questions but for now I think I've got it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well sadly looks like I missed on a lot of book arts as I'm fully leveled on some of them but they are only at lvl 4.

1. Would changing Reyn for Dunban be better in my current situation? (I know some people run with Melia, Shulk and Dunban and I tried it but failed miserably, perhaps it is better to do at higher levels)
2. And also how do I find rest of those Art books?
3. I've read about Colony 6 and rebuilding it. Is it something I should check out (ie. will it give me some edge in battle and/or added story)?
Dunban is a better character overall, but I'm not sure the difference is that big at the point you're at. Dunban deals better damage, and while he lacks Reyn's endurance and aggro drawing, a properly setup Dunban will dodge most attacks from enemies around his level. Light armor + as much agility as possible + Serene Heart = hardly anything hits you. Make sure you have the Aura extension skill unlocked, I think it's the first one in one of his skill trees. And if you have Sharla around, Aura Bullet will make it last even longer. Together that's an additional 20 seconds of Serene Heart, which should be about long enough for it to last longer than the cooldown, depending on what level it's at.

Intermediate books are found in shops. Not all of them are easily available, but many are. Some require you to have Colony 6 mostly rebuilt, for example. Just check the shops you've come across to see if they have anything you're missing.

And you might as well start on Colony 6. It's basically a giant collection quest that lasts up until you are about to beat the main story.

All in all I feel bad that I made this long break from the game. Can you give me some info on:

I remember when battling the flying thingie with Melia (one that almost killed her) and afterwards there was this young looking guy with almost the same flying thingie (my memory could be fooling me). And now it looks like he is some kind of Seer. Is that correct or am I confusing things. Also that one women kinda wanted Melia to die/fail, whats her deal?

I'll probably have a lot more story related questions but for now I think I've got it.

That's about right.

And honestly, if you feel like you're doing something wrong, the best thing to do is drop Sharla from your party. If you can't win even normal battles that should be relatively easy without her around, you're doing something wrong. Because you shouldn't HAVE to rely on her healing. It makes things easier, but it's not necessary.

Top Bottom