• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

I really messed up on my gems for that fight I took a little while be just remove the issue and the fight went smoothly

good stuff coming need to go drink some water :3

olimpia84

So I finally cleared up some of my backlog and finally fired this game up. I'm 8 hours in and about to head to Colony 6 for the first time after beating that spider like Mechon.

Quick question: when the Monado shows you the future attack of an enemy there are three possible outcomes: when the text is white you can use the Monado's shield ability to avoid the enemy attack, red means you can avoid the attack by using the Monado's speed ability but what about the attacks in blue text? What art can I use to avoid those?

Use the mobs to build your party gauge, then Chain Attack to inflict Topple IIRC.
I thought the Face Nemesis one was the one where you weren't supposed to hurt her
(because she's actually 7th)
, so isn't all you have to do just kill the mobs anyway?

So I finally cleared up some of my backlog and finally fired this game up. I'm 8 hours in and about to head to Colony 6 for the first time after beating that spider like Mechon.

Quick question: when the Monado shows you the future attack of an enemy there are three possible outcomes: when the text is white you can use the Monado's shield ability to avoid the enemy attack, red means you can avoid the attack by using the Monado's speed ability but what about the attacks in blue text? What art can I use to avoid those?
You don't have it (them) yet. Your best options at this point in the game are warning Sharla and having her either put the enemy to sleep or using the damage prevention buff. Or something like that.

Nothing avoids blue, but you get something later to reduce the damage at least. You can also try putting your opponent to sleep or something.

I thought the Face Nemesis one was the one where you weren't supposed to hurt her
(because she's actually 7th)
, so isn't all you have to do just kill the mobs anyway?

You don't have it (them) yet. Your best options at this point in the game are warning Sharla and having her either put the enemy to sleep or using the damage prevention buff. Or something like that.
I thought he was about to fight
Jade face
. Maybe I'm all mixed up, though. Regardless, killing the weaker mobs is a good strategy in any fight.

woot winning a UM battle when you are under level is so satisfying
I'm going to hit 100 hours soon I am so slow moving this story

you guys ever move the camera around to see how the worlds are connected... I looked up and saw something wait I fell from there? wtf...

this is the most interesting game would I have ever travelled on

you guys ever move the camera around to see how the worlds are connected... I looked up and saw something wait I fell from there? wtf...

this is the most interesting game would I have ever travelled on

One of the great aspects of the game is that because of the way the game world is structured, you can see previous (or future) areas from several vantage points; the game deliberately nudges you toward places that exist merely so you can have a great view.

For example: in the Splintered Path section of Colony 6, if you stand in certain spots and rotate the camera you can see a bowl-like protrusion on the Bionis' shin. This is, of course, Colony 9, where you started the adventure.

mQzYp.png

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I love these cutscenes.

I kick Metal Face's ass in the first fight where you're not supposed to be able to hurt him so much that he stops taking damage altogether, and I have to wait for him to use his stupid attack to end the battle.

"The Monado... it's not working!"

It's not?

I find those featuring Sharla very distracting... she is the only one with way to much cleavage with what ever suit change - I know those are polygons but c'mon!

I kick Metal Face's ass in the first fight where you're not supposed to be able to hurt him so much that he stops taking damage altogether, and I have to wait for him to use his stupid attack to end the battle.

It's not?

are you on NG+?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I find those featuring Sharla very distracting... she is the only one with way to much cleavage with what ever suit change - I know those are polygons but c'mon!

are you on NG+?

Nope, that was a standard playthrough. I was level 11. On the second part where you actually have to deal damage, he went down in one chain attack (4 attacks). :lol

I wonder how many time I will playthrough this game just about to reach 100 hours today... about to turn on my Wii ... 7th is at the doctor's need to go find something

McNum

It's not?
Yeah, I did that when I restarted the game, too. If the game would have let me, it'd have been over in a couple of minutes. Chain attack topple and go to town. Who's invincible now?

I think its because you guys got use to the fighting/gameplay

I was lost when I first fought him but thinking of that fight if I did it again after 95 hours of understanding how these things work he would be owned pretty fast...

Okay its almost time for me to think of the end half of this game
what level is recommended for the end boss... I want to go back to Eryth Sea and finish some quests but I do feel I want the story to continue I guess I'll do those quest at some other point

I think its because you guys got use to the fighting/gameplay

I was lost when I first fought him but thinking of that fight if I did it again after 95 hours of understanding how these things work he would be owned pretty fast...

Okay its almost time for me to think of the end half of this game
what level is recommended for the end boss... I want to go back to Eryth Sea and finish some quests but I do feel I want the story to continue I guess I'll do those quest at some other point
If 7th is only just at the doctor's now, you still have a long way to go until you have to start thinking about the end boss.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'd think anything over 80 would be easy. The two times I beat the boss under normal circumstances I did it at 79 and 77.

(Also at 55, but good god that was hard)

McNum

I'd think anything over 80 would be easy. The two times I beat the boss under normal circumstances I did it at 79 and 77.

I say up to 84 because that's probably the last level where it still resembles a fight with an unoptimized team. Most teams can take the final boss at 80. 78 if you've become good at the game.

Trying at anything lower is either suicide or awesome. Pulling it off at 55 is just nuts. But in a good way.

Question: Is skill linking Melia with heavy armor worth it for that skill bonus? Just wondering about that.

The skill bonus of +30 ether defense? Or should I just stick to medium and light armor?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Question: Is skill linking Melia with heavy armor worth it for that skill bonus? Just wondering about that.

The skill bonus of +30 ether defense? Or should I just stick to medium and light armor?

If you have problems with Melia drawing aggro, sure. Just don't use Reyn to link since his costs more to link.

There are situations/builds where that's a really useful setup, but it requires a decent number of gems and skill links to set Melia up as a proper tank. Usually only applies to self-imposed challenges though.

Nah I am at the portion of the game after reaching fallen arm and getting the 7th character. Just doing quests and such before I move forward to get the affinity level up. Just wondering if I need it. AKA are there lot of heavy area effect attacks in the upcoming areas?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Not that I remember. One boss comes to mind over the next few areas, but that's it. There are some AoE talent arts, but you'll need shield for those anyway.

If you have coins for it, it's a nice bonus to have since Melia doesn't really need great agility. If your coins are invested in other things already, it's probably not worth bothering with. It's only 15 coins to link with Dunban, which isn't much if you've been killing as many unique monsters as possible (and you should have!)

Level 78-84 is good for the final boss. If you get over 84, it gets a bit easy.
I'd say anything over 80 is easy.

It's not worth a lot, but heavy armor can be nice for Melia simply because a lot of unique bosses like to do AoE physical attacks, and the extra physical defense helps. You can also make Melia into a tank with that setup, which IMO is not a bad idea at all. Before you get Night Vision gems, she's right there with Riki as being your best tank for fights well above your level.

Nah I am at the portion of the game after reaching fallen arm and getting the 7th character. Just doing quests and such before I move forward to get the affinity level up. Just wondering if I need it. AKA are there lot of heavy area effect attacks in the upcoming areas?
Area attacks stay pretty low throughout the game outside of unique fights.

I'm so lost...
Mechonis Field is more frustrating on the 3rd <!>
I think I go up that screw path to the very top to fin my way down to it but I cannot seem to find my way when I get to the top they don't seem to connect

need a landmark up there
LLShC.gif

is such a thing even possible )_o

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
is such a thing even possible )_o
Only because of NG+ stuff. I don't think it can be done much lower than the level I did it at even with unlimited skill links and gems. Maybe 50. Maybe.

What happened was I went and faced fortresses in the sword valley. And got AoE to death.

Why I am paranoid.
You're referring to those huge enemies? There are a few of those later on, including a UM that is quite possibly the most powerful enemy in the game, relative to it's level. Most people never kill it as far as I know, they end up beyond the point of no return for that area before they're strong enough. Like it's immensely powerful comrade in Mischievous Naberius (at
Sword Valley
), it's out of the way so you almost have to look for it to find it.

Yeah the giant mechons in sword valley. I have the UM version of it opened up already.

But right now I have a tank Riki ready to go.... except the 7th character constantly draws the aggro. I have two aggro up III equipped to Riki and still not drawing the aggro from her. And am running the
speed booster
with an aggro down III equipped as well.

What can I do to make Riki draw the aggro?

Yeah the giant mechons in sword valley. I have the UM version of it opened up already.

But right now I have a tank Riki ready to go.... except the 7th character constantly draws the aggro. I have two aggro up III equipped to Riki and still not drawing the aggro from her. And am running the
speed booster
with an aggro down III equipped as well.

What can I do to make Riki draw the aggro?
What are Riki's arts?
It's best to slap all of his DoTs on him and stack Ether stuff. Even then, he will really only tank well if you pull multiple enemies into the fight so he uses Poison and Blaze.
Even then, 7th is crazy good at pulling aggro just by autoattacking with an aura up. One thought is retooling 7th to tank, and just accept it - haha.

But I like speed 7th...... So much damage from auto attacks.

I already ran her as a tank.

And yeah, guess I can stack more ether on him and DoT all on him. As well as Riki is Angry. Love that move.

So much for trying all the UMs in that area that Mischievous ass keeps killing me its a long run to him each time until I remember Save and Load but he just keeps hammering me

so there is like 2 UMs I cannot kill here might as well move on or I'll level too much trying

Is ether crit % determined by your weapon? Thinking of a new Melia concept.

Also, are some armor sets just incomplete? I'm looking at the Google Doc for the best armor, and I see a set called Ledios. It lists a Body, Arm, and Waist piece...and that's it. What gives? And why did the document creator put a "lol" in the description?!

Zornica

Banned
Is ether crit % determined by your weapon? Thinking of a new Melia concept.

Also, are some armor sets just incomplete? I'm looking at the Google Doc for the best armor, and I see a set called Ledios. It lists a Body, Arm, and Waist piece...and that's it. What gives? And why did the document creator put a "lol" in the description?!

the other parts are buyable in colony 6, but they dont have slots.
I got a set for sharla back than, looks pretty cool, but I wouldn't use it on any other char, because it just looks good, but due to the lack of slots, its only for show. the diferent parts are also pretty hard to get. one of them only drops from a quest unique, so you got one chance to get it. save in front of the chest.

got a fine m100 set for melia, looks great and is also one of the best sets.

the other parts are buyable in colony 6, but they dont have slots.
I got a set for sharla back than, looks pretty cool, but I wouldn't use it on any other char, because it just looks good, but due to the lack of slots, its only for show. the diferent parts are also pretty hard to get. one of them only drops from a quest unique, so you got one chance to get it. save in front of the chest.

got a fine m100 set for melia, looks great and is also one of the best sets.
Oh damn, it's not guaranteed? I'll make sure to save. Is anything else like that?

I can't get pass these guys

so you can buy some of these armor where is the best place to buy high end stuff?

can someone help me find shulk's Arts books I need to up his power
I am at a level where I should be doing okay but I guess my Arts are not strong enough to Tank him up

I can't get pass these guys

so you can buy some of these armor where is the best place to buy high end stuff?

can someone help me find shulk's Arts books I need to up his power
I am at a level where I should be doing okay but I guess my Arts are not strong enough to Tank him up
You shouldn't ever be buying high end stuff. You always get it by playing. Exception given for 7th at times.

Monado powers do not have books. They upgrade at appropriate periods in the storyline.

I think you likely need to reconsider your strategy. The big guys do big AoE damage. Using a team like Reyn/Riki/Sharla, possibly subbing Melia in there, is a good idea.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So much for trying all the UMs in that area that Mischievous ass keeps killing me its a long run to him each time until I remember Save and Load but he just keeps hammering me

so there is like 2 UMs I cannot kill here might as well move on or I'll level too much trying

If you have 7th, you should also be able to get Monado Armor through a quest. Once you have that, go back and hit it up.

Use Shulk + Dunban + 7th.

Make sure Dunban has Spirit Breath and 7th has Healing Energy, both of those will remove the blaze damage from it's opening attack. I'd also recommend giving Dunban an anti-Mechon weapon so you're not relying on Enchant, because you'll need Monado arts just to keep yourself alive.

Shulk should be pumped up with Blaze resist, there is some unique armor that has a gem built in, and you should have a few gems for that by now. You can also add in any debuff resist you have as well.

Open up the battle with Monado Armor from a distance. This will allow Shulk to get it up before the opening flame attack. Dunban and 7th under AI should use their auras to get rid of the blaze debuff. Shulk will just eat the damage, but with Armor plus lots of Blaze Resist, the damage shouldn't be too bad.

From there, it's just a tough battle due to how powerful the monster is and the fact you can't topple it or anything to get the upper hand. Abuse chain attacks, and make sure to pay attention and use Light Heal. Titan Stamp is a bitch, use Armor to protect against it, that's about the best you can do.

If you don't have 7th/Armor... well, I guess what Karsticles. You'll need a crap load of healing just to stay alive beyond the opening attack.

But I like speed 7th...... So much damage from auto attacks.

I already ran her as a tank.

And yeah, guess I can stack more ether on him and DoT all on him. As well as Riki is Angry. Love that move.

7th should be able to tank even with light armor. Crazy defense, probably higher then Reyn's with heavy armor in the end.

Huh, I never had a problem with the blaze damage. The only thing that ever killed me was a stamp.

Does no one know how ether crit works?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ether crit is the same as physical attacks.

And the blaze damage was the biggest problem I had with that fight until I had ways to deal with it. My characters would always die from it, aside from someone like Dunban who had an art to remove the debuff.

Top Bottom