• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

I got to eat something and jump right back in... I am tempted to try The Last Story that came in today but I am so hooked on this...

Does HEART to HEART tell you more of the story?

I can't get all of those in my first play through
Heart to hearts are just what they sound like - characters relating to each other. Sometimes they flesh out moments in the story, but they don't really open up anything new in the story. I find them very enjoyable and worthwhile.

I am not sure how you are doing it, but you are definitly at least 2 levels lower than you should be. Are you killing anything at all on your way? oO
Random Advice:
You shouldn't run past everything because there is a level spike comming up and than things will get really tough.
there are some higher level gems and materials available in the next area, you should get some, it will make things easier. (agility in particular)
don't bother with the weapons you can buy there, they aren't worth it.

people kept saying I did not have to grind, I felt like I was fighting but I did not go out of my way to pick fights with large enemies.

I did beat the last boss on level 46... but just noticed the first thing I met next was level 52

got to go grind a bit when I wake up... Is this the area with level 4-5 stuff? I want some of those

So Ancient Daedala is a bitch to fight. I'm having a harder time with him than I did with Despotic Arsene, which is weird, because he's a lower level. I think this is for a few reasons:
• He's a Mechon, so I either have to use weaker weapons, or waste a turn using Monado Enchant when I could have used it to use Monado Armour to save peoples' lives or something instead
• Also, spike.

Anyway, I think this is probably as far as I'm going to get with the game, until I have enough time to start a New Game+...

people kept saying I did not have to grind, I felt like I was fighting but I did not go out of my way to pick fights with large enemies.

Well, technically you don't need to. That's what all of those side quests do for you. If you just plow straight through the main plot you'll need to pick more fights. But if you stop every now and then and warp back to one of the towns to pick up side quests and work on them, you'll be fine (or you'll be over leveled like I often was since I picked up side quests kinda' obsessively}.

clemenx

Banned
I fired up this game yesterday after a good while, I have over 120h in my save file. Tried some of the +100 uniques, ugh I don't think I'd ever do them, gem farming is just not for me. But I loved running around the world again, goddamn the soundtrack is so perfect.

What was the general consensus of the game in American gaffers? I played the game along the Euro thread but never bothered to check for NA impressions. Is the game equally loved? I damn hope so!

I fired up this game yesterday after a good while, I have over 120h in my save file. Tried some of the +100 uniques, ugh I don't think I'd ever do them, gem farming is just not for me. But I loved running around the world again, goddamn the soundtrack is so perfect.

What was the general consensus of the game in American gaffers? I played the game along the Euro thread but never bothered to check for NA impressions. Is the game equally loved? I damn hope so!
Most of the gems you need seem pretty easy to acquire to me. I got them just by doing my thing and megaheating, which is so easy that I started with an 80% gem and got to megaheat once. American GAF tends to love the game, but you get a few who say they don't see what's so special about it, or say they hate the final plot twist. I have difficulty understanding either perspective.

Getting the hang of using Melia can someone tell me when I should expect to get my next party member? I am grinding up to level 48 have yet to explore Sword Valley much. Just want to know if I should spend all day trying to reach at least level 50+ to continue the story

why do they give all the good stuff so late in the game!

I cannot seem to find some quick step stones got to find a way to make a nice gem to do that run and jump

I'm in NA and this is by far the most fun I had with a game for years and I love the worlds in this game. This could become my favorite game of all time depends how the end goes.

Getting the hang of using Melia can someone tell me when I should expect to get my next party member? I am grinding up to level 48 have yet to explore Sword Valley much. Just want to know if I should spend all day trying to reach at least level 50+ to continue the story

why do they give all the good stuff so late in the game!

I cannot seem to find some quick step stones got to find a way to make a nice gem to do that run and jump
It would be nice to have an RPG that starts you out with a complex combat system with a lot of abilities. It's cool to build characters, but if you're an RPG veteran you're usually just waiting for the endgame so you can experience the real combat.

You will get your next party member after
the area after the area after Sword Valley, IIRC

Regarding Quick Step gems, you should have boots that give +10%. Melia and Riki both have skills that you can link that boost the run speed as well. Quick Step tops out at 25%. You have to be a bit lucky and stumble across another 10% gem or two.

I don't understand the linking system at all I need to take more time to read things

bummer about my next party member sound like the end game to me
I'd say you're about 80% done when you get your last character, not including post-game content, which is huge.

The linking system is really simple. And heck, IIRC there's a skill that boosts EXP gain. Link it on everyone to help your leveling problem!

I'd say you're about 80% done when you get your last character, not including post-game content, which is huge.

The linking system is really simple. And heck, IIRC there's a skill that boosts EXP gain. Link it on everyone to help your leveling problem!

are those the SP skill tree thing? who has the EXP Skill? I need EXP gems too :D

Post Game is not NG+?

man I really want to see this game remade in HD with high poly... just to play it over again someday like that would be cool... maybe when I get a new mac that can run dolphin I'll try those

I watched a trailer for THE LAST STORY that game has no color at all not sure if play Xenoblade first will hurt my experience TLS has better looking character models that is the only thing I can say for it... that in the running around in your undershorts I guess lol

EDIT: Just checked my SKILL TREE when I select a branch the SP goes to unlocking those greyed out ones right? but the ones already done still work or do I have to select that branch for them to be actively linked?

are those the SP skill tree thing? who has the EXP Skill? I need EXP gems too :D
Riki has the EXP skill. SP skill tree is the same thing. Just mess with it - it's a very intuitive system. You basically are letting one character share another's.

Post Game is not NG+?
Nope. Post game works a lot like FFVII, where you can do it all before the final boss, but you don't want to, because the final boss would be easy then. You want to save before the final boss, beat the game, and then reload to do the extras.

man I really want to see this game remade in HD with high poly... just to play it over again someday like that would be cool... maybe when I get a new mac that can run dolphin I'll try those
I think chaosblade plays it on Dolphin. His screenshot is fantastic.

I watched a trailer for THE LAST STORY that game has no color at all not sure if play Xenoblade first will hurt my experience TLS has better looking character models that is the only thing I can say for it... that in the running around in your undershorts I guess lol
TLS notably shorter. I've been hearing ~30 hours total. So even if it's not as good...it's quick!

EDIT: Just checked my SKILL TREE when I select a branch the SP goes to unlocking those greyed out ones right? but the ones already done still work or do I have to select that branch for them to be actively linked?
SP goes to unlocking a character's skills.
Once a skill is unlocked for a character, it ALWAYS affects the character.
Selecting a branch determines what tree you are leveling up, and what bonus you get (see the header for each branch).
To open up more skill link slots, raise affinity.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think you're 80% of the way through the game when you get the last character. I'd say more like 70%,
you've still got Fallen Arm, the three Mechonis areas which are not particularly small, then Bionis Interior and Prison Island which can go pretty quick, but there's a bit of a level spike there
. The story does move faster after that point though, and there's significantly less side content after that point until the post-game content opens up, so it can feel like it moves quicker than it does relative to the previous areas in the game.

If you're doing it at level 99, you shouldn't need to do much gem farming. You need debuff resist for Abaasy (for blaze + instant death), and spike defense for Ancient Daedala and Blizzard Belzagas. But that's all you need.

Other good gems can make it a lot easier, but it's not necessary if you've already got some good IV/V rank gems on your party. And if you know what you're doing, you only need 4 crystal drops to get 4 megaheated gems, but it will require some save/load abuse. Faster than farming crystals though.

The two higher level enemies will require night vision on melee characters, but you can trade for rank V gems if you don't feel like farming for V crystals to megaheat, naturally it won't be quite as good but they're adequate.

I think chaosblade plays it on Dolphin. His screenshot is fantastic.
It really only helps with image quality, but it makes a huge difference.

Wah? Does Debuff Resist protect you from DoTs?

Also, two questions:
1) Are crystals and cylinders really different in any way in terms of mechanics?
2) I have a crystal that has 4 stats in the 90th percentile range, and another that's the same. So when I add them together, I have 4 abilities that are all ~180%. What do you think is the best character combo to raise my chances of megaheating all 4? The best I've done is megaheating 2 within 7th and Melia, but I also don't have everyone's affinity maxed yet (very close, everyone is purple aside from Riki+Dunban, and no grinding was done!).

I got nothing against a final boss being easy... what is all this about?

can I fight it once to see whats up, and then get out and do the end game or am I looked in a room with it until I win?

man this is my slowest progress ever, did a few more quests... and trying to raise affirmity that is how you link Skills

Do I need Riki in my Party to get the EXP bonus? I have hardly used him at all so his smiley is still on green with everyone

I got nothing against a final boss being easy... what is all this about?

can I fight it once to see whats up, and then get out and do the end game or am I looked in a room with it until I win?

man this is my slowest progress ever, did a few more quests... and trying to raise affirmity that is how you link Skills

Do I need Riki in my Party to get the EXP bonus? I have hardly used him at all so his smiley is still on green with everyone
If you link a skill to someone, that character has the skill regardless of the party structure.

Raise affinity naturally. By the end of the game I had every relationship but 5 with purple smileys. Just swap your party around a lot.

The point of no return is at the end of an area. It warns you very explicitly that if you continue, you cannot go back. So, save on all 3 save files, go through the point of no return, beat the game, and then reload one of your save files. The final boss is easy enough even without all the extra endgame quests that I beat it with only autoattacks while watching.

Is that what brings up skill links with the Wii Remote setup? I use a CCP, so I'm not sure.

yeah that is what brings it up... I do have eye issues thats why my gaming habit has suffered so I do miss a few things :)

all this time I could have had EXP up

now I feel my party is a bit more balanced time to try it out I have set everything I think I need for now

maybe there is something else I will need to learn

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Also, two questions:
1) Are crystals and cylinders really different in any way in terms of mechanics?
2) I have a crystal that has 4 stats in the 90th percentile range, and another that's the same. So when I add them together, I have 4 abilities that are all ~180%. What do you think is the best character combo to raise my chances of megaheating all 4? The best I've done is megaheating 2 within 7th and Melia, but I also don't have everyone's affinity maxed yet (very close, everyone is purple aside from Riki+Dunban, and no grinding was done!).

Crystals and cylinders are treated the exact same. All that matters is the number. I think the game just treats anything with 2 or more gems in it a crystal and anything with just one a cylinder, but I'd have to double check. Because you can get cylinders from deposits, weirdly enough.

If it's one crystal with 4 stats in the 90 range and you want to megaheat ALL of them, your best bet is to use 7th + Riki (respectively), they are a terrible combination for building up the gems, but they are great at gentle flames which add nothing to the gems and allow you to keep more crystals that "fail." This works especially well if the two have low affinity.

So what I'd do is save-abuse until that combination can get through the crafting process without successfully making a gem, and you'll have 8 cylinders broken down. Then you can use Reyn+Dunban to build up the gems for Megaheat. And with these two you want as much affinity as possible with everyone so you get the bonuses.

Crystals and cylinders are treated the exact same. All that matters is the number. I think the game just treats anything with 2 or more gems in it a crystal and anything with just one a cylinder, but I'd have to double check. Because you can get cylinders from deposits, weirdly enough.

If it's one crystal with 4 stats in the 90 range and you want to megaheat ALL of them, your best bet is to use 7th + Riki (respectively), they are a terrible combination for building up the gems, but they are great at gentle flames which add nothing to the gems and allow you to keep more crystals that "fail." This works especially well if the two have low affinity.

So what I'd do is save-abuse until that combination can get through the crafting process without successfully making a gem, and you'll have 8 cylinders broken down. Then you can use Reyn+Dunban to build up the gems for Megaheat. And with these two you want as much affinity as possible with everyone so you get the bonuses.
I meant megaheating all 4 simultaneously. Even 7th and Riki together, with my current affinities, boost a gem up a minimum of 50. It's not infrequent that they boost numbers by 100+. I don't think breaking it down is an option at this point, and I'm definitely not willing to re-grind affinities. I was more looking for your thoughts on the best combo to megaheat all 4 simultaneously. ONCE I got a Fever while using Melia, and all 4 stats on a gem bounced up by 100. It was amazing, haha.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe use a combo that emphasizes medium flames, since that builds all the gems?

I don't know, going for four at once is going to require a ridiculous amount of luck. Honestly, you'd probably be better off just getting what you can out of that and farming for more crystals for whatever doesn't make it.

And if you have trouble breaking them down due to the bonuses with other characters, just add more crystals. Add some junk ones so you've got like 10-12 different potential gems. I did that a few times. The points will generally be spread around enough that it never makes anything, or if I got a "good" bonus it was almost always something I didn't care about.

Maybe use a combo that emphasizes medium flames, since that builds all the gems?

I don't know, going for four at once is going to require a ridiculous amount of luck. Honestly, you'd probably be better off just getting what you can out of that and farming for more crystals for whatever doesn't make it.

And if you have trouble breaking them down due to the bonuses with other characters, just add more crystals. Add some junk ones so you've got like 10-12 different potential gems. I did that a few times. The points will generally be spread around enough that it never makes anything, or if I got a "good" bonus it was almost always something I didn't care about.
Yeah, I could do that. I was just hoping for a secret trick out there. Having 2 megaheat and the other two be really close (probably within 20 each) makes me think it can happen. I'll let you know if I figure something out. I'm almost max affinity between all of the characters.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thinking on it, you might try linking up Shulk's Fever skill across as many characters as possible (works on the whole party, so if all 7 have it it should stack for a very good chance at Fever) and using Riki (adds points twice) and Melia (best medium flame). Then hope the affinity bonuses are balanced and don't all end up on the same 1 or 2 gems.

Seems like the best bet, I don't think going for strong flames will work for that many gems.

Thinking on it, you might try linking up Shulk's Fever skill across as many characters as possible (works on the whole party, so if all 7 have it it should stack for a very good chance at Fever) and using Riki (adds points twice) and Melia (best medium flame). Then hope the affinity bonuses are balanced and don't all end up on the same 1 or 2 gems.

Seems like the best bet, I don't think going for strong flames will work for that many gems.
How exactly does Riki's work, anyway? If it's literally doing the whole process twice, how isn't it clearly the best? It doesn't seem like Dunban's adds THAT many points when Reyn is going.

I thought if a skill said "ALL", it wouldn't stack between the party members, whereas one that has the three person picture, like Riki's treasure skills, will stack once for every person in the party (or is it outside of the party, too?).

Zornica

Banned

no, if you are lvl 48 already, you are good to go. just stop running past everything (except for the reaaaaalllyyyy big ones). If something stands in your way, just run into it and start a fight.
again, buying the weapons at start of the area isnt really worth it, but keep shulk in your party.(you don't have to controll him)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How exactly does Riki's work, anyway? If it's literally doing the whole process twice, how isn't it clearly the best? It doesn't seem like Dunban's adds THAT many points when Reyn is going.

I thought if a skill said "ALL", it wouldn't stack between the party members, whereas one that has the three person picture, like Riki's treasure skills, will stack once for every person in the party (or is it outside of the party, too?).

Not sure, I've never seen anything definitive one way or the other, but considering there is an achievement for getting three fevers in one crafting process (!) it kind of makes sense that it would. That or the developers were out of their mind when they created that achievement!

someone tell me... spoiler tag how does those secret doors open the ones with seals. Is this something you find later. I had seeing doors I cannot open.

no, if you are lvl 48 already, you are good to go. just stop running past everything (except for the reaaaaalllyyyy big ones). If something stands in your way, just run into it and start a fight.
again, buying the weapons at start of the area isnt really worth it, but keep shulk in your party.(you don't have to controll him)

I been getting spoiled by my play style for sneak and run

this game makes a single level up worth it but it can also be game breaking for some people

at lower levels I was getting beatdown by a group... added two levels and just two hit them all

For me its strange to think about which one I like best losing or taking a walk around like a badass.

Dolgan Outpost is kicking my ass but I have been grinding it over and over using the two ladies to rain affinity

to get that clear outpost quest done I take it you have to clear inside that little bunker? upstairs too?

I am not running pass them but still dying and the outpost is as far as my map shows

Can I disgard all my level I rocks now? Its all taking up space and its hard to pick up the level III drops

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just replayed the first chapter of the game (up to the first save prompt). Apart from the enemies on the way to Colony 9, I didn't kill any standard enemies aside from a few that were aggressive and attacked me.

Between discovering locations, earning achievements, killing UMs, and doing a few quests (several of the ones from named NPCs), I am already overleveled (level 11/12), and I just got the ether cylinders. And I have awesome equipment too and I haven't bought anything :lol

to get that clear outpost quest done I take it you have to clear inside that little bunker? upstairs too?
To do the quests to clear the outposts you just need to kill the unique monster inside. There's also a hidden quest to kill a monster that's past the last unlockable gate (Gate 3, I think).

Can I disgard all my level I rocks now? Its all taking up space and its hard to pick up the level III drops
Yes, you can sell or drop them, they won't do you any good at the point you're at.

is the UM one of the 3 at the top level?

thanks now I feel safe to sell my level I gems

wish I could to the same for the other junk I have collected not sure if they are tied to things though just been dropping the cheapest things...

is the UM one of the 3 at the top level?

thanks now I feel safe to sell my level I gems

wish I could to the same for the other junk I have collected not sure if they are tied to things though just been dropping the cheapest things...
In general, it's best to drop/sell common items over uncommon ones, just because it's easier to re-acquire them.

that top floor is full of chests I have not collected I keep dying here
now to change party members around Riki is really funny when he is around
I love how each party of 3 has its own unique dialogue. I'm not sure if it changes based on who is in charge, though. If you get a chance, Reyn/Riki/Sharla has some funny dialogue. The only thing that sucks about Riki is how bad the AI is with him. Like Melia, you really just have to be the person using the character. Luckily, few fights in the game are 1v1, so you can always pull in more enemies to make the AI use Riki properly.

I love how each party of 3 has its own unique dialogue. I'm not sure if it changes based on who is in charge, though. If you get a chance, Reyn/Riki/Sharla has some funny dialogue. The only thing that sucks about Riki is how bad the AI is with him. Like Melia, you really just have to be the person using the character. Luckily, few fights in the game are 1v1, so you can always pull in more enemies to make the AI use Riki properly.

my favorite so far is Dunban and the girls... saying something "It sure is quiet without Reyn and Riki around... Agreed lets keep it that way!"

any way I just got pass my quest goal with Reyn he is such a beast I avoid using him

my favorite so far is Dunban and the girls... saying something "It sure is quiet without Reyn and Riki around... Agreed lets keep it that way!"

any way I just got pass my quest goal with Reyn he is such a beast I avoid using him
Haha, I'll have to check out the Dunban one. It's hard to keep track of what groups you have used, and which ones you have not.

On the note of who is a beast, I'd love to know chaosblade (and anyone else's) character tiers. Late game, of course, so anyone who cares about combat spoilers should avoid the rest of this post.

I haven't done all of the post-game stuff, but this is my current thinking:
Shulk
Melia
Riki
7th
Dunban
Reyn
Sharla

Reasoning:
-Shulk's Monado arts are just ridiculously good. You have an answer to anything, and once you fill out all of his skill trees, he gets the ability to go wild with them. He's easily the character that can take any fight and make it go from hard to manageable.

-Melia has huge damage, can self-topple, has game-winning buffs, and, once you fill out Shulk's trees and can link up whatever you want, she can is almost as good at locking out visions as Shulk is, though not quite there. Lots of utility and damage! She's also a very capable tank when skilled correctly, which is very useful against higher leveled enemies that physical attacks will mostly miss against.

-Riki is almost like an inferior version of Melia when you run the numbers, but he has some interesting utility that keeps him up there. He has the only move in the game that can directly buff your party gauge, so if you max it out and use it every Chain Attack, you're buying back ~2/3 of your bars back, putting you on the edge of permanent chain attacks if you use each chain properly.

-7th just has huge damage output. 7th attacks very fast, making 7th a great choice for applying debuffs or running an elemental attack theme. This added utility, plus the flexibility of 7th's moveset options, is the only reason I place 7th above Dunban.

-Dunban does great damage, but his utility is pretty minimal. As an evasion tank, he can take on most things around his level without even getting hit, but to really maximize this you have to run him naked. Naked Dunban tanking the final boss holds a special place in my heart, though. What really drags him down is so many of his abilities having a "bonus effect" tied to one attack, forcing you to choose between them. It's a neat concept, but it drags the character down.

-Reyn feels like an inferior Dunban to me. His auras are almost all worthless, and why soak damage when you can avoid it? His Talent Art adds nothing to the fight at all, and his only remarkable move is Sword Drive. Even with Aggro Up gems, I find he has problems holding on to enemies when I go all-out with other characters. He's not bad, but I generally feel he can be replaced by others. His aggro holding ability is especially bad when he is outleveled, since his agility is low. Night Vision obviously fixes this, but it would be better if it didn't have to. His high health is irrelevant once you get +50% HP gems.

-Sharla is a good character, just...not that good. Her attack speed is really low, and she's low on attack abilities, so she'll never be on par with other characters DPS-wise. She has a lot of healing abilities, but the game is balanced around the player needing healing on an infrequent basis - this isn't World of Warcraft. To top it off, the AI is terrible at making healing decisions, frequently blowing a 5000 HP heal when you only have 1000 health taken off, leading to her overheating more frequently than she should, and abilities being on cooldown when you really need them - after a big hit. She's much better if you use her, but most people don't find healing to be a very enjoyable pasttime. She is good for handling fights much higher than your level, though, since you're guaranteed to be getting hit regularly. I think she would have been much better if they gave her status debuff effects like Paralyze and Confuse. It would have fit her theme well and made her more useful, since bosses in this game are generally susceptible to status effects.

what are the best gems for these guys?

yeah I love using Melia once I learned how she works... about to go for another guest to clear a UM

is the items without the white x the ordinary drops?

can I come back for the second surprise quest? I am getting bored

what are the best gems for these guys?

yeah I love using Melia once I learned how she works... about to go for another guest to clear a UM

is the items without the white x the ordinary drops?
You always keep items that are marked. That means you know they are for something.

If the item is unmarked, a small bag is a common item, and a big bag is an uncommon one.

The best gems depend highly upon the character and what you are trying to do. In general, you can't go wrong with basic Strength/Agility/Ether gems if you want something all-purpose. Beyond that it's largely a matter of taste, what's good against your opponent, and what role the character is playing. For example, Blaze Plus is awesome for Melia if you're using Blaze, but there isn't much point if you're not. Why would you use or not use Blaze? Well, it is an AoE. Do you want to aggro nearby monsters? It boosts strength as an aura. Does your party deal mostly ether, or physical damage? Its primary effect is a DoT. Are you blowing through monsters at a rate where that DoT gets to complete itself? All good questions to ask before you slap an ability on a character. Most people hate Aqua on Melia, but I've found ways to make it work wonderfully so she can be a dedicated healer. Some people will say she's a bad healer, but it's nice to have a character who can heal, do respectable damage, apply debuffs, and shut down visions - that's a lot of versatility in one character. I've killed enemies 15 levels above me using her that way. I think it's best to experiment with this game - it's deceptive in its apparent simplicity.

Edit: You can some back for the second surprise quest. If you care about it, though, you'll want to complete it before you finish the next few areas.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's too situational to come up with a straight list.

Shulk is on top no matter what. Awesome damage. Awesome support. He's unquestionably the best character, suffering from awesome leader syndrome.

Reyn is at the bottom for the most part. His DPS isn't really great, he needs Berserk just to keep up with the other party members. He can take hits, but it doesn't matter because he can't hold aggro without help. He really just doesn't add anything you couldn't get from another character.

Sharla isn't much better, because all she really does is make up for herself being in the party. She manages to fail to add anything, while also failing to really screw you up. Your DPS will suck, she will slow you down, but in turn she'll allow you to stay alive longer to make up for it. That's Sharla in a nutshell.

The others are interchangeable.

The thing about Dunban is that he can tank practically anything as long as you've his skills setup decently and Serene Heart on him. Level doesn't matter in the late/post-game. I'm not wild about most of his offensive arts, but he has some good ones. Steel Strike is good for toppling thanks to a quick cooldown, Worldly Slash deals good damage and lowers defense, Soaring Tempest has a huge range and fills the talent gauge with each hit. His auras are where he's really awesome, but Serene Heart is so good all the rest are useless most of the time. Until you get debuff resist, Spirit Breath is awesome too since it clears all debuffs.

Personally I think running him naked is a mid-game gimmick, it doesn't really work well in the late/post-game. Just too much to sacrifice, agility is OP, but you can't survive on that alone.

His biggest weakness is that he doesn't really add anything to the party. He's a lone wolf that doesn't really bring any support to the table except Blinding Blossom to steal aggro. And when it comes down to it, an avoidance tank isn't always the answer since someone else has to deal with talent arts and ether damage, so some fights require babysitting. Dunban can't eat damage like Reyn, his defense can't take it and his HP won't last.

7th is like Dunban-light, but more aggressive. Crazy auto-attack damage that's stupidly easy to set up, and with a skill link you can throw in free HP regen too. Good agility, HP, and defense (even with light armor) allows the character to tank well, better than Reyn in many situations. Holds aggro well if set up for it, otherwise Dunban can take it fairly easily due to innate skills. But that's not a bad thing. Power Drain is underrated, 20-25% strength buff AND 20% strength debuff to enemies? And the affect is longer than the cooldown effectively making it permanent? AND it's not an aura so it stacks with Speed Shift? Awesome.

I have a hard time thinking of many downsides. Again, Dunban-light, this character doesn't really offer much to the party. 7th won't be helping out other characters at all, there's no support here. Offensive arts leave a bit to be desired, generally you'd rather just auto-attack. Has the second best aura in the game (after Serene Heart) but the cooldown is very long, so it's rough in long fights. Tends to miss more frequently than other physical hitters despite good agility, or maybe I'm just crazy.

Melia deals ridiculous damage over DoTs and Bolt. She can counter visions semi-well. Her buffs are alright, but I never really take advantage of them aside from maybe holding a bolt to use last to boost my other attacks.

I guess I'm not as big on Melia as most, she's good in a lot of situations but without putting a lot of work into skilling her up and specializing her she's a standard glass cannon. And I tend to be biased against magic users in RPGs anyway. And her AI is garbage and may as well not exist.

Riki is interesting because he has so many uses. He's kind of a complicated character for that reason - he can be set up in so many ways and still be effective. He has a lot of good support options, tank options, a great healing art, and obviously his DoT effects are where his damage is at it's best.

The problem is that while he's good at so many things, I don't think he particularly excels at anything. And that's okay, because he doesn't have to, Xenoblade isn't a game where you need perfect setups or absolute optimization. You can roll with Riki in all sorts of variations based on how you're using your other party members. His AI isn't great, but it's still amazing compared to Melia's.

I think I agree with everything you said (including that the tiers are situational). The only thing I'd note is that a solid team makeup can let you keep 7th's aura up permanently. Just pop it during Chain Attacks, since her special arts, aside from one, are pretty mediocre.

I'll usually try and do something like this:
7th - Speed Boost (or whatever it's called) (orange)
Shulk - Something awesome with the Monado (transfers the boost type to white)
Reyn - Sword Drive (big damage, type shifts to red)

Then if I get an extra turn, I'll pop Sword Drones with 7th, which tends to end fights.

I just find that her aura is so good that it's worth designing the team around its inclusion. If I have a team of all aura-using characters, I'll use the Chain Attack to re-pop all three auras. Unless it's a mob fight, of course. Then you can just spam red attacks and 1-shot everything.

man this place is tough... I chickened out again and ran pass the 3 big level 54 dudes on the way to 7th but I am still low powered I can try again and see if I can get pass this fight

Sharla has saved me from losing a fight many times so I am not sure she is as bad I like having her in the party because I hate losing I lose more when she is not there

from what you guys are saying my team should be Shulk/Melia/Riki

I would need to control Melia

man this place is tough... I chickened out again and ran pass the 3 big level 54 dudes on the way to 7th but I am still low powered I can try again and see if I can get pass this fight

Sharla has saved me from losing a fight many times so I am not sure she is as bad I like having her in the party because I hate losing I lose more when she is not there

from what you guys are saying my team should be Shulk/Melia/Riki

I would need to control Melia
Nope. That's why I said it's a late game tier list. Characters change dramatically as the game goes on. Don't read anything up there as an indication of what you should be doing now. Find what works for you.

what am I suppose to do here the face nemesis battle do I need to hit it or focus on those other dude because they are trashing me so far... Riki has a knack for outlasting everyone there but I cannot Enchant most of the time to help my party do damage

Laekon

So close to buying a refurb Wii to plays this game. I actually bought it in Germany last year for a friend who unlocked his Wii. I put about 15hr into it but haven't been able to play it since as I don't own a Wii. Playing Tales of Vesperia hoping to kill the urge but the slight amount of childishness makes me not like it as much.

So close to buying a refurb Wii to plays this game. I actually bought it in Germany last year for a friend who unlocked his Wii. I put about 15hr into it but haven't been able to play it since as I don't own a Wii. Playing Tales of Vesperia hoping to kill the urge but the slight amount of childishness makes me not like it as much.
IMO, just wait for the Wii U, since it's BC.

Top Bottom