• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

I need a gaming chair badly... my poor back hurts after long hours in Xenoblade

I think I am going to rest and sleep not sure if I'll go find ways to level up or go try my luck at ending the game now

still missing an ice cabbage :)

okay she says
Linada is looking I must stop steering...

Linada was in the room so now to change the time

Okay did it... WOW o_O it was nothing like that it was very very touching almost teared up ;_;

and you do get a little heart bonus between them if you keep talking :(

I was not going to use this save file as my main but... maybe I unlocked an achievement

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Spoilers for anyone who hasn't gotten 7th, but has anyone had this experience?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/960564-xenoblade-chronicles/62530526

Yeah, but I only watched it on youtube, I think someone linked it in the last topic (it's the missable character development scene I've mentioned). It's actually kind of sad.

And if you're doing it, you have to talk multiple times. It's not actually a cutscene, it's just different text every time you talk to him.

Yeah, but I only watched it on youtube, I think someone linked it in the last topic (it's the missable character development scene I've mentioned). It's actually kind of sad.

they did a terrible job with the way these characters could have interacted they could have been much closer we could have felt more for them. This is so easily missed I walked away from that room the first time.

so stupid to have something like this hidden I mean you have to change the clock wtf!

they did a terrible job with the way these characters could have interacted they could have been much closer we could have felt more for them. This is so easily missed I walked away from that room the first time.

so stupid to have something like this hidden I mean you have to change the clock wtf!
Things like this are what move a game from good to great. Little secrets.

The cast is pretty close. Do the H2Hs.

If anyone has a video, I'd love to see this.

Edit: Found it (spoilers, obv):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7EhTlce71E

Can stuff like this have any effect on the ending? When you beat the game, it says something about being able to affect how things turn out, I thought.

Edit2: Woah, that really is a big heart that pops up. I've never seen one before. Is there any other time that happens?

I'll keep using this file but not sure if I have not seen a heart that size before

they H2Hs will have to wait for NG+

only did a few so far

Edit: played some more while GAF was down... I did not know about Sleek on girls means :3

Melia's running is the cutest :p but I swear she swims faster than everyone else, this game is going to consume months of investigating

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Edit2: Woah, that really is a big heart that pops up. I've never seen one before. Is there any other time that happens?

Don't you get big hearts on H2Hs when you answer both questions "correctly?" Or maybe just some of them. Big heart is 5x small hearts though.

And no, it doesn't impact anything. When it refers to affecting how things turn out it's just referring to quests with alternate endings depending on the choices you make (or things that happen/don't happen if you don't do quests).

Wichu

Man,
Fiora
is terrible in New Game +.
Extremely generic arts, terrible weapons, only two armour designs... I've got her to about level 40 by slaughtering the lv70+ monsters in Colony 9. It's lame that she can't use dual sword weapons. Maybe I should just ignore her and continue.

Don't you get big hearts on H2Hs when you answer both questions "correctly?" Or maybe just some of them. Big heart is 5x small hearts though.

And no, it doesn't impact anything. When it refers to affecting how things turn out it's just referring to quests with alternate endings depending on the choices you make (or things that happen/don't happen if you don't do quests).
Maybe you do. I always assumed it was one more small heart. Maybe it was a big one all along. I was usually focused on the text. I'll post back once I do my next H2H - I've been going through them.

Man,
Fiora
is terrible in New Game +.
Extremely generic arts, terrible weapons, only two armour designs... I've got her to about level 40 by slaughtering the lv70+ monsters in Colony 9. It's lame that she can't use dual sword weapons. Maybe I should just ignore her and continue.
Err, so how does that whole thing work?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Err, so how does that whole thing work?

It really doesn't :lol

Since she's supposed to leave the party early anyway, I don't think she ever gets more than four arts. They're not great, and there's no way to level them up beyond rank 4. Her best weapon is also pretty pitiful. Even if you got her to level 70, threw some decent armor on her, she'd still be nearly worthless in battle because her arts would be so bad and she would have no strength to deal any damage without a ton of skill links + gems.

Not sure what the best Bouncer Knives are. 2 slot? Or are they stuck at just one?

It really doesn't :lol

Since she's supposed to leave the party early anyway, I don't think she ever gets more than four arts. They're not great, and there's no way to level them up. Her best weapon is also pretty pitiful. Even if you got her to level 70, threw some decent armor on her, she'd still be nearly worthless in battle because her arts would be so bad and she would have no strength to deal any damage without a ton of skill links + gems.
Yeah but...
Does she not die? How does that affect the story? Do you get to keep her throughout the whole game, and get Fiora and 7th? That's what's really confusing the heck out of me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but...
Does she not die? How does that affect the story? Do you get to keep her throughout the whole game, and get Fiora and 7th? That's what's really confusing the heck out of me.

The story plays out as normal. He's just grinding for who knows what reason in Colony 9.
That's why I asked why he was bothering with it.

I could think of some hilariously broken teams if it that didn't happen though!

TunaLover

I'm crossing 170 hours, yay, time flies.
I currently am in
Agniratha
, I'm about to start it, just wondering if I'm near to the final.

Exeunt

I asked about that certain New Game+ feature a while back and
Fiora and "Mechon Body Fiora" (for lack of a better name) are treated as separate characters by the game. As in, no matter what configuration (level, Arts, equipment, etc.) you have on Fiora at the end of the game, you will only get that set-up back when she returns from the dead in the storyline. Fiora in Colony 9 will be in the same state she was at the Mechon invasion and has a completely different (and limited) set of Arts, usable equipment, and so on available to her—because you only use her for the very first part of the game, this selection is severely limited and underpowered even in New Game+. The version of Fiora known as the "seventh," or the one with the Mechon body is still a solid—and in my opinion, quite fun—character to use.

ScOULaris

Well fuck me in the asshole...

Just hit my first real roadblock in the entire game:
The boss fight with Gadolt in Agniratha

I am Level 65 at the moment, so I might be one or two levels below where I should be. I have tried every party combination that I can think of, but he always wipes us out with his ridiculously damaging attacks.

I looked around online, and most people seem to be suggesting learning Monado Armor. So I guess I'll warp back over to the
Fallen Arm
and do the sidequest that unlocks that ability. Is there any other way to win this fight? I have what seems to be the optimal equipment on everyone at this point in the game, and I've been making heavy use of Level 4 gems on everyone.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Getting that would be the easiest way for sure. It's literally the best art in the game (with Serene Heart following closely behind, but far above anything else).

But with most fights, you should be able to win with the cheap party of Shulk/Riki/Sharla. Riki deals the damage with DoT attacks and hopefully tanks with his huge HP. Shulk manages visions and occasionally light heals. Sharla just heals. Battles will be slow, but that should beat everything unless you just have really poor armor/gems/skill links.

ScOULaris

Getting that would be the easiest way for sure. It's literally the best art in the game (with Serene Heart following closely behind, but far above anything else).

But with most fights, you should be able to win with the cheap party of Shulk/Riki/Sharla. Riki deals the damage with DoT attacks and hopefully tanks with his huge HP. Shulk manages visions and occasionally light heals. Sharla just heals. Battles will be slow, but that should beat everything unless you just have really poor armor/gems/skill links.

I'm not the only one who thinks that this fight is a huge difficulty spike, though, right?

I have literally breezed trough every boss fight in the game without having to grind, and then
Gadolt
shows up and mercilessly rapes my asshole to pieces.

yeah that boss fight was a roadblock for me went back and got a lot of quests done even in that same area I explored and beat as many big guys as I could... I ended up Level 69 by the time I was able to get pass the final phase of that fight

It was good to finally nail him RIKI cannot be said enough

the thing is you are going to need those levels the guy is just blocking your path to a fight you were heading towards anyway

Zornica

Banned
you are pretty low... If I remember correctly, that boss is lvl 70, and if you try brute forcing your way through him, you will hit the next brick wall 10 minutes later with an even stronger enemy. Maybe it would be better if you just settle down for an hour and kill everything in agniratha(unique enemies), that should push you a few levels. (or finish the quests there)

(In case that doesn't work out, I've got a lvl 70 save file at exactly that point. Shouldn't be hard to plow through with that.)

It's not really a difficulty spike, more a level spike. most people tend to rush through agniratha, and that was probably not intended by the devs

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
He seems to be a common problem for people, but I never really had trouble with him. Just make sure you're prepared for his area attacks and you should be good. I didn't even keep armor up on my low level kill against him, anything noteworthy came up during a vision.

Shulk's accuracy did suck during that battle for some reason, though.

It's not really a difficulty spike, more a level spike. most people tend to rush through agniratha, and that was probably not intended by the devs

68 actually. But I agree with this. The next few bosses after that one area really easy in my opinion. But once you get to the next area, things get serious and you can suddenly end up struggling.

I'd definitely recommend finishing the quests and killing the UMs though (for the previous couple areas as well). Otherwise you probably won't get the opportunity.

he is level 68 I think its his support units and me not knowing how to change my target enemy that caused me issues I only learned how to change my target for 2 fights after talk about reading the manual late in the game

Edit: I need to ask a question about my area... I am at Colony 6: Is this the point of no return if I say yes to the next area?

D-e-f-

Banned
Well fuck me in the asshole...

Just hit my first real roadblock in the entire game:
The boss fight with Gadolt in Agniratha

I am Level 65 at the moment, so I might be one or two levels below where I should be. I have tried every party combination that I can think of, but he always wipes us out with his ridiculously damaging attacks.

I looked around online, and most people seem to be suggesting learning Monado Armor. So I guess I'll warp back over to the
Fallen Arm
and do the sidequest that unlocks that ability. Is there any other way to win this fight? I have what seems to be the optimal equipment on everyone at this point in the game, and I've been making heavy use of Level 4 gems on everyone.

topple topple topple topple. it's literally the key to almost anything in this game.

Melia is topple queen!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
he is level 68 I think its his support units and me not knowing how to change my target enemy that caused me issues I only learned how to change my target for 2 fights after talk about reading the manual late in the game

Edit: I need to ask a question about my area... I am at Colony 6: Is this the point of no return if I say yes to the next area?

No, you're explicitly told during a cutscene that you won't be able go back once you hit the point of no return.

topple topple topple topple. it's literally the key to almost anything in this game.

Melia is topple queen!

Unfortunately her topple is very specific, unlike the others. Topple only functions after Spear Break, so even if an enemy has break or is already toppled her topple won't work on it. Really limited it's use for me after my first playthrough.

I forget what does Melia topple with?

anyway guys
Quest Spoiler
this is for you guys who finished the game I ran into this and looked it up cause I was lost

Ceremony quest seems to end with a level 86 monster - Can I beat it at level 70?

not willing to wait to come back to this point on NG+
I don't have to equip the rewards for this but I want to explore I want doors open :D

No, you're explicitly told during a cutscene that you won't be able go back once you hit the point of no return.

Oh you are saying I'm not there yet! whoa... cool going to go on then

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

anyway guys
Quest Spoiler
this is for you guys who finished the game I ran into this and looked it up cause I was lost

Ceremony quest seems to end with a level 86 monster - Can I beat it at level 70?

I don't have to equip the rewards for this but I want to explore I want doors open :D

Oh you are saying I'm not there yet! whoa... cool going to go on then

Starlight Kick is Melia's topple art.

And you theoretically could do that quest at that level if you know what you're doing, but I wouldn't count on it. It's intended to be "post-game" content. Just keep a save at the point of no return when you get to it and don't start NG+, then you can do all the optional high level stuff.

And actually, everything that opens up at the point you're at is "post-game" content. You're not intended to start tackling that stuff until you're roughly level 80 or so.

Additionally, he should know it only works when used directly after Spear Break (which doesn't actually inflict Break, which means Melia's Topple operates independently of other party members').

I think I've gone back and forth on capitalizing the different statuses in this game but oh well.

I mentioned that in my previous post! :D

Exeunt

Starlight Kick is Melia's topple art.

Additionally, he should know it only works when used directly after Spear Break (which doesn't actually inflict Break, which means Melia's Topple operates independently of other party members').

I think I've gone back and forth on capitalizing the different statuses in this game but oh well.

I'm not the only one who thinks that this fight is a huge difficulty spike, though, right?

I have literally breezed trough every boss fight in the game without having to grind, and then
Gadolt
shows up and mercilessly rapes my asshole to pieces.
I didn't have a problem with him. Assuming you're dodging the lasers using the barricades.

Unfortunately her topple is very specific, unlike the others. Topple only functions after Spear Break, so even if an enemy has break or is already toppled her topple won't work on it. Really limited it's use for me after my first playthrough.
It's only a problem in Chain Attacks. Outside of them, Spear Break is superior to most Topple options. It's a bonus that it doesn't need Break up.

Anyway, I got my first character to level 99 today, and I'm thiiiiis close to everyone being hearted. Also, you were right chaosblade: H2Hs end with a big heart. I never noticed before. I got 7th's Sword Drones X boot...I'm not sure if the damage upgrade is worth dropping a gem. I'm pretty big on my gems...

I decided to drop Starlight Kick and Spear Break on Melia simply because she I don't put Agility gems on her, so it tends to whiff on the hard enemies. On anything lower, I don't need her to Topple since Bolt is doing 40K per hit - things tend not to last long enough for Topple to matter. Right now I'm running her with:
Bolt
Flame
Earth
Ice
Reflection
Mind Blast
Copy
The Other "End" ability that lowers defense.

She tends to be in borderline permanent high tension and Burst, so I get to use her enders a lot.

I gave Sharla EtherDefDown and PhysDefDown, and it's so good. I had Bolt crit for 59K today. Plus the gem debuffs stack with Melia's debuff, so you can get -45% ether def on monsters for big damage. 8K poison ticks.

Still grinding out Glory Gauntlets. I'm having a hard time landing me some. Only have 2 so far, and gave them to Dunban and Shulk. I want one for Sharla so she can have 3 debuffs going (Slow/Paralysis/PhysDefDown - yum!) at once.

anyway guys
Quest Spoiler

That's probably too low level to do it at. I was around 78 when I beat that monster, which was shortly before going into the final stretch. It's a really tough fight.

okay done for today, wow at some of these opened locations Red enemies everywhere
went up 2 levels just going to secret locations

its so strange that the sky seems to have changed just looking up expecting to see what I have always seen from the epic locations

ScOULaris

Finally got past that bastard
Gadolt
(the second fight) after going back and doing the quest to unlock the Monado Armor art. That definitely helped a lot.

Strangely enough, the boss fight that followed didn't give me much of a problem. I only had to restart it once, which was a result of poor Monado gauge management.

And I was able to do all of this with a Level 66 party (Shulk, Dunban, Sharla).

I'm glad to finally be past that section, but now I get the feeling that I'll need to do some grinding to make sure I'm not even more underleveled later.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm glad to finally be past that section, but now I get the feeling that I'll need to do some grinding to make sure I'm not even more underleveled later.

Kill the unique monsters in the last couple areas you've been in and you should be fine. Pretty much the best way to grind since it doesn't involve saving/reloading or a bunch of mindless battles, and you get some good stuff out of it. Plus the affinity coins.

The last few dungeons have a lot of UMs. Just be sure to seek them out and cover all corners.

Kill the unique monsters in the last couple areas you've been in and you should be fine. Pretty much the best way to grind since it doesn't involve saving/reloading or a bunch of mindless battles, and you get some good stuff out of it. Plus the affinity coins.
Affinity coins feel so good to get. They're like little tokens that say "yes, we're all even better friends than before".

So got this maybe 2 months ago and been playing it on and off. Really impressed overall.

Am surprised how much I enjoy the combat, it works really good and is a lot of fun. I don't feel like am selecting random skills but its what enemy I attack first, who attacks what etc. that is a lot of fun, as oppose to the static RPG gameplay which I thought I would prefer. Theres just a lot more control, flow and strategy.

First kind of game like this I've played.

The characters so far are surprisingly good and the story feels exciting. Meanwhile the visuals aren't just good, their full of surprises. Looking up in a thunder storm and seeing the silhouette of a god is pretty awesome I have to say :D

Haven't played too much yet though (I pushed myself through more of Skyward Sword, really not feeling that game at all ;_; - makes me sad):
Just on my way to Colony 6 to save Juju - am enjoying playing as Sharla atm, might try some of the quests in the area - one criticism I have is that the quest system is a bit pesky but doable.

Really enjoying the game so far, glad I turned my Wii back on for Skyward as it pushed me to get a few other games.

You get used to the quest system. I thought it was a pain, but then, 150 hours in, I realized that the quest lists the location of the quest giver. -_-

You get used to the quest system. I thought it was a pain, but then, 150 hours in, I realized that the quest lists the location of the quest giver. -_-

I think the problem is it just seems like another menu and I can't be bother managing it; I'll have to give it a closer look through when I next play though.

D-e-f-

Banned
Finally got past that bastard
Gadolt
(the second fight) after going back and doing the quest to unlock the Monado Armor art. That definitely helped a lot.

Strangely enough, the boss fight that followed didn't give me much of a problem. I only had to restart it once, which was a result of poor Monado gauge management.

And I was able to do all of this with a Level 66 party (Shulk, Dunban, Sharla).

That's how the whole rest of the game went for me.
Gadolt
was really really hard to kill for me but ...whatshisface (totally blanking on the name) was pretty easy and even the one fight after that got hyped up as "the hardest thing evaaarrr!!!" all over the place and that boss was kind of easy. I hesitate calling it a pushover. Then the finale was ridiculously hard again. So it went from balls hard to easy, challenging, easy and topped of with OMFGIVEBEENSITTINGHEREFORFIVEHOURSWHYWONTYOUDIEALREADY!!! lol

I guess that just shows how much your level matters in this game. I reduced myself to auto-attacking against the final boss because he was dying too fast already, and I wanted to give him a chance and see his moveset.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've beaten the final boss three times. Only one of those did I find him remotely challenging.

And the only reason
Lorithia
gets a rep for being extremely hard is because people tend to go in with a party that's very, very poorly suited for that battle. But even then it doesn't matter because every time I've beaten that boss it's been with a poorly suited party. And the second time was an absolute slaughter (
Final Cross within 30 seconds of the battle leading to a topple lock
).

Zornica

Banned
It has been nearly a year since I finished the pal version. If I weren't playing radiant historia right now, I'd love to jump in again and go for another quick round.
The urge to play through it again is rising day by day. As soon as I am done with RH, I probably should give in and start again, this time in english, maybe.

Top Bottom