• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

I've beaten the final boss three times. Only one of those did I find him remotely challenging.

And the only reason
Lorithia
gets a rep for being extremely hard is because people tend to go in with a party that's very, very poorly suited for that battle. But even then it doesn't matter because every time I've beaten that boss it's been with a poorly suited party. And the second time was an absolute slaughter (
Final Cross within 30 seconds of the battle leading to a topple lock
).
I think the second boss you mention is definitely ripe for being called difficult. I didn't have a problem with her, but she wasn't a pushover either.

It has been nearly a year since I finished the pal version. If I weren't playing radiant historia right now, I'd love to jump in again and go for another quick round.
The urge to play through it again is rising day by day. As soon as I am done with RH, I probably should give in and start again, this time in english, maybe.
How is RH? I hear very good things about it.

D-e-f-

Banned
How is RH? I hear very good things about it.

Radiant Historia is very text heavy but the story is pretty interesting and well written. No silliness or goofying around, just a dark and twisted tale of politics, betrayal, friendship and all that jazz. Battle Mechanics are very interesting but don't get too challenging until you meet bosses or come up on particular plot points (no random encounters so you can just avoid enemies if you feel like it).

It plays with character placement in an interesting way. The enemies appear on a 3x3 grid and the closer they are to you, the more damage they shell out (and take). You can push them away or pull them closer as needed (you also deal damage depending on their distance so sometimes you need to have them closer to you so you can take them out faster).

Music is also pretty great. Yoko Shimomura again, so extra yay! ATLUS' first print run came with a CD that had a couple of piano renditions of her songs on it. Pretty sweet!

Disclaimer: I haven't finished it yet, I'm somewhere around 25-30 hours in, if I recall correctly.

what level do you guys recommend facing the final boss again?

today I started seeing level v crystals I forgot where I got them lol... that sucks but made level 6 gems using heat

strength 86 gems... I want 100 gems :(

what level do you guys recommend facing the final boss again?

today I started seeing level v crystals I forgot where I got them lol... that sucks but made level 6 gems using heat

strength 86 gems... I want 100 gems :(
People seem to say high 70s for the final boss.

Strength caps at 150, so if you plan on capping it the difference between 86 and 100 is non-existent.

okay thanks strength goes for the tanks right? I am second guessing myself thinking the weaker ones should get some

okay maybe if I can level up a bit I can finally go see this epic ending... I hate to see this game end :(

I still have TLS sitting here unopened

there was some giant high level birds in colony 9 at the start of the game I cannot seem to run into them again help?

Zornica

Banned
okay thanks strength goes for the tanks right? I am second guessing myself thinking the weaker ones should get some

okay maybe if I can level up a bit I can finally go see this epic ending... I hate to see this game end :(

I still have TLS sitting here unopened

there was some giant high level birds in colony 9 at the start of the game I cannot seem to run into them again help?

are you sure you are there yet? sounds like you got a few more hours to go...
and there are tons of level V crystals on the way. just move on until dunban explicitly asks you if you are ready, until that happens, I wouldn't worry about gear and grinding a few levels.

I guess I'm not there yet... the ship is on colony 6 and the arrow is pointing at it to go in and talk and fly some place

something strange just happened... I got a pop up message that a colony is being attacked this is after inviting someone from colony 9 to colony 6

no clue where this event is happening went to colony 6 but I only have the arrow to the ship... I guess I'll move on now

D-e-f-

Banned
I guess I'm not there yet... the ship is on colony 6 and the arrow is pointing at it to go in and talk and fly some place

something strange just happened... I got a pop up message that a colony is being attacked this is after inviting someone from colony 9 to colony 6

no clue where this event is happening went to colony 6 but I only have the arrow to the ship... I guess I'll move on now

there are pylons (Ether Lights) placed around colony 6, sometimes Mechon or other monsters attack them. Walk around the map between all exits to look for them. check near the Freight Road.

ScOULaris

Damn, shit is looking pretty bleak toward the end of this game.

Without spoiling anything, would someone mind telling me how far I am into the game, percentage-wise?

I am currently
back at Colony 6 after Zanza destroyed Mechonis.

Also, I managed to get through all of the boss battles that preceded the cutscene-fest prior to that at a mere Level 67 for everyone in my party. How screwed will I be for the next boss fight if I don't do some serious UM hunting?

oh is this the very hard battle,
Lorithia?

what I hate about this area I fight a hard flying dude but my treasure chest falls to its doom :(

I went UM hunting - boss has been kicking my butt but
Melia
seems to be the key just need to level her up a bit and get a few gems

Without spoiling anything, would someone mind telling me how far I am into the game, percentage-wise?

I am currently

Also, I managed to get through all of the boss battles that preceded the cutscene-fest prior to that at a mere Level 67 for everyone in my party. How screwed will I be for the next boss fight if I don't do some serious UM hunting?

I was at that part but I went from level 68 to 73 really quick by going on quests that opened new areas that gave me EXP fast... also the huge monsters on Colony 9 and the Cave has new routes open... I ran pass most of the Red guys they are all red to locate new areas and did a few stuff... got to 73 then this boss I am at its a huge area with strong monsters I am at level 76

the next boss if you want to know its level
but harder than the other guy that gave you problems before

that should give you an idea of how much you have left because you can go to the final boss with high 70s

Wichu

It really doesn't :lol

Since she's supposed to leave the party early anyway, I don't think she ever gets more than four arts. They're not great, and there's no way to level them up beyond rank 4. Her best weapon is also pretty pitiful. Even if you got her to level 70, threw some decent armor on her, she'd still be nearly worthless in battle because her arts would be so bad and she would have no strength to deal any damage without a ton of skill links + gems.

Not sure what the best Bouncer Knives are. 2 slot? Or are they stuck at just one?
NG+ spoilers?
In NG+ you can level her arts to rank 10. And yes, you can get double-slotted Bouncer Knives. Unfortunately you don't unlock skill links until later, so that's out of the question... I put Haste and Double Attack gems in the knives, so she deals a reasonable amount of damage. Plus her talent gauge fills very fast, since her normal attacks are a two-hit combo already - with Haste and Double Attack, her auto-attack speed is great. I can get in several Talent Art uses against a single enemy. Though that's more to do with how terrible her auto-attack damage is. Shulk and Reyn are far stronger in NG+, especially with the Monado III.
I nearly maxed out her arts (I have two maxed, and two at level 7-8ish), but decided it was pointless and continued the story. Maybe in NG++.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I am currently

Very screwed, since the next boss is not only 8 levels above you but considered the hardest boss in the game (not sure I agree, but whatever). Seems like a pretty common problem though, people end up underleveled at the point you're at, get to that boss at level 71-72, they don't know the trick to winning, and end up grinding like 6 levels.

Try to kill the UMs on the way to the boss, and when you get there either focus on ether attacks or use a physical party that's effective at topple locking (Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is a good choice, you can also swap in 7th for one of them if you prefer).

NG+ spoilers?
In NG+ you can level her arts to rank 10.

That's funny, since it's completely unnecessary. Wonder why the developers even did that :lol

I guess it would be pretty crazy to
have a level 99 Fiora with all her arts maxed out though.
But it would take forever since you'd run out of places to gain experience by level 80.

ScOULaris

Very screwed, since the next boss is not only 8 levels above you but considered the hardest boss in the game (not sure I agree, but whatever). Seems like a pretty common problem though, people end up underleveled at the point you're at, get to that boss at level 71-72, they don't know the trick to winning, and end up grinding like 6 levels.

Try to kill the UMs on the way to the boss, and when you get there either focus on ether attacks or use a physical party that's effective at topple locking (Shulk/Reyn/Dunban is a good choice, you can also swap in 7th for one of them if you prefer).

Damnit. I feel like this game spoiled me right up until this last 10% or so by throwing levels/experience at me without requiring me to grind and feeding me somewhat easy boss fights.

Now the slick pacing that I've gotten used to is gonna have to be thrown out the window in place of some tedious grinding.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm guessing you didn't spend much time killing stuff in that last area. I agree with Zornica in that the developers probably expected the player to be there longer than a lot of people actually stay. So where it was balanced for the player to end up around 69-70, a lot of people end up around 67-68, and the bosses at that point aren't terribly difficult.

So then you get to the next area and it's like what the hell, difficulty spike! It's pretty small and linear. One run through it taking the various paths (because it's literally just paths) will probably have you high enough level to beat the boss without too much trouble.

Margalis

Banned
I got to the final boss at level 76 IIRC, then had some trouble and beat it at level 77.

The "hard" boss wasn't that hard for me, maybe because of my party. For most of the game I controlled Melia and had Poison+ 100% gems and fire+ 50% or something like that, so both my single-target and AOE DOTs were really strong. (I didn't use lightning at all)

Seik

Banned
I don't know how you guys managed to beat the last boss at such levels (77-79)

I was barely able to beat the
first form
at 80-82, then I was wiped in a heartbeat.

My SHU-SHA-REY party needs to be at least lvl.83 to win this one.

I need to do this game with a different party for some change, but I like this team so much. :/

Zornica

Banned
My SHU-SHA-REY party needs to be at least lvl.83 to win this one.

because thats one of the worst party combinations possible...
reyn and sharla should never be in the same party, they are both the weakest chars the game has to offer, and having them in the same party is like a voluntary debuff. Ofc you can beat everything with that party, but so could you with every other, and on top of that much faster too.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you used that party for the majority of the game it's no wonder you had trouble. It's not a very effective party for damage output (Shulk is good, Reyn is okay, Sharla is awful). Survivability can also be an issue in some fights, especially those with enemies that deal ether damage or area attacks.

Not to mention the skill links you missed out on. Those would have easily made up the difference in level.

But if you think 77-79 would be difficult (79 and 77 were the levels I beat it at on my first two playthroughts, respectively), try 55 :D

I have like no poison gems what the hell did I do with these stones?

have you guys ever done a quest only to have it show on the list that you have not done it?
there is this cap or hat I have to take to someplace with a view wondering what caused it to show up as if I had not done it

Seik

Banned
What? Sharla is terrible? I think she's a great assist. ;_; That's pretty much my team because that's the three characters I like the most in the game, the only one I could squeeze in my team instead of Sharla/Reyn is Dunban.

I thought I'd be able to tolerate Riki, even like him after a while, but no, I hated him all the way to the very last second. I heard he is a great char though. Melia just doesn't connect with me either, but she's way less of a problem to me than Riki. :p

Dat headshot during daze instant death.

Well, whatever, I'll try a new party next time for a change.

But if you think 77-79 would be difficult (79 and 77 were the levels I beat it at on my first two playthroughts, respectively), try 55 :D

Holy shit...o_O

I have like no poison gems what the hell did I do with these stones?

have you guys ever done a quest only to have it show on the list that you have not done it?
there is this cap or hat I have to take to someplace with a view wondering what caused it to show up as if I had not done it
Nope.

OMG finally got Ice Cabbage and to find I lost all my Jagged Tails... I must had discarded them to put something else in ? o_O

damn this inventory
LOL

At least Jagged Tails are easy to come by.

What? Sharla is terrible? I think she's a great assist. ;_; That's pretty much my team because that's the three characters I like the most in the game, the only one I could squeeze in my team instead of Sharla/Reyn is Dunban.

I thought I'd be able to tolerate Riki, even like him after a while, but no, I hated him all the way to the very last second. I heard he is a great char though. Melia just doesn't connect with me either, but she's way less of a problem to me than Riki. :p

Dat headshot during daze instant death.

Well, whatever, I'll try a new party next time for a change.
I think people just don't appreciate what Sharla offers. She's the worst, no doubt, but she's not bad. Because her damage is so poor, it's one of the few characters that you don't feel bad about stacking debuffs on. Sharla with Slow, Paralyze, and Agility Down debuffs really destroys an enemy's damage output. Or, load her up with EtherDefDown, PhysDefDown, AgiDefDown to help your team tear the opponent apart. That's how I think she's best used. Just take off Thunder Bullet to increase her attack rate so the debuffs stay on, or give her Weapon Power / Buff Time Up. Putting defense down debuffs into action is so worth a person's time. It's basically +75% damage output - how many gems can say they do that?!

Headshot's instant kill is pretty weak - 15% chance?

The problem with Sharla is not that she's completely useless, it's that there is always a more valuable member to have on your team.

That said, if fun and variety is your priority and you're not concerned with making the "best" team, she's lots of fun to play as.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
The problem with Sharla is not that she's completely useless, it's that there is always a more valuable member to have on your team.

That said, if fun and variety is your priority and you're not concerned with making the "best" team, she's lots of fun to play as.

I use her as a healer... worked through the entire game
----

Which reminds me... THE AI IS SO DAMN GOOD!!!

ScOULaris

I use her as a healer... worked through the entire game
----

Which reminds me... THE AI IS SO DAMN GOOD!!!

Same here. I really don't understand the hate. My party always feels too vulnerable without her there for healing purposes.

Funnily enough, I can't play Melia for shit.

Part of her problem is that her role gets displaced over time. You can heal most of your HP through linking to Dunban and upping critical rate, putting a healing aura/art gem up, etc. Shield Bullet is vastly outclassed by Armor. Her status-clearing skills get easily replaced by Debuff Resist VI. The longer you play, the less necessary she becomes. Hence why it would have been better if they gave her debuff shots, like PhysDefDown -50%. Then she's still in a support role, but it's not a weak one.

Topple Lock makes all healing unnecessary, too, and people love to do it.

On a related note, I beat Blizzard Balgazas with Dunban/Shulk/Sharla. No topples or night vision gems used. It was a hectic fight!

McNum

If you used that party for the majority of the game it's no wonder you had trouble. It's not a very effective party for damage output (Shulk is good, Reyn is okay, Sharla is awful). Survivability can also be an issue in some fights, especially those with enemies that deal ether damage or area attacks.

Not to mention the skill links you missed out on. Those would have easily made up the difference in level.

I hadn't actually watched your fight before. Uh, wow. That's pretty much "Close calls: The battle" right there. How did you end up with 1 HP left so many times? It's there an ability to leave you standing like that? Also, there's a pint where you manage to use Shulk to cut a vision's damage down on 7th using two single target buffs? What can Shulk do? All I can think of is Armor and Speed, but they don't fit the description.

I hadn't actually watched your fight before. Uh, wow. That's pretty much "Close calls: The battle" right there. How did you end up with 1 HP left so many times? It's there an ability to leave you standing like that? Also, there's a pint where you manage to use Shulk to cut a vision's damage down on 7th using two single target buffs? What can Shulk do? All I can think of is Armor and Speed, but they don't fit the description.
Unbeatable gives you a 50% chance to survive any attack. In fact, I think there's a team setup that borderline makes you invincible.

1) Unbeatable 50% on everyone.
2) Riki's skill that halves how much Party Gauge it takes to revive someone.
3) Revival HP up.
4) Sharla's heal 20% when dying skill.
5) The skill (7ths?) that gives you a bar of Party Gauge whenever two teammates die.

ok the level of colony 6
Nature
is the level of the gems found in the area

what do the other things do to the area?
Raise every one a level and find out! ;-)

3AQmK.gif
I got I problems so when I see a wall of text in this game I tend to ignore it this is why I am taking so long :)

I should read these things more

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, first question is Unbeatable gems. Ended up taking advantage of that in this fight more than anything else in the game combined. Probably twice over. If not three times over.

And I'm not sure what you're referring to with the second question.

Samyy

Just got to
Agniratha
and I'm lvl 65. Just wanted to know whether I'm at a good level for this part of the game (I don't want to make it omgeasy).

finally got the Black Liver Bean done... I am kinda addicted to leveling up Colony 6 reminds me of they addiction I had with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King

Unless I move on to come back to it during NG+
I read Rainbow Slug is the next tough thing to find

I'm going to try and grind some level 6 gems as soon as I wake up after staying up for Nintendo Direct with is a little over 2 hours away

McNum

Yeah, first question is Unbeatable gems. Ended up taking advantage of that in this fight more than anything else in the game combined. Probably twice over. If not three times over.

And I'm not sure what you're referring to with the second question.
The second question was brainfart of mine. You had Shulk cure 7th's Topple and then encouraged 7th's tension back to neutral. That easily cuts the warned damage down to a third.

Zornica

Banned
Just got to
Agniratha
and I'm lvl 65. Just wanted to know whether I'm at a good level for this part of the game (I don't want to make it omgeasy).

depends on how quickly you move through that area... you should be at least ~68 when exiting it.

Top Bottom