• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Spike Gems deal spike damage to opposing monsters - it should have no effect on how much damage you take.

The easiest way to beat 90+ monsters is using Riki/Sharla/Melia. Stack defense and slowly kill anything with damage over time.

good to know spike has been my imagination I'll suit up
okay I will try that team, need to win some of these big uglies

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Are you around their level? None of the enemies should be all that difficult as long as you're near their level, I don't recall you doing any low level stuff.

I'm still 10+ below the level 90+ guys

I wanted to get this achievement before I hit level 90 and cannot do it anymore. I have not beaten anyone in the Red I suck. I've been able to get yellow guys but this is sad that I suck this bad
KuGsj.gif

TheContact

I want to play this on my Wii but I can't figure out a way to make it look good =( I've tried component cables but it looks worse

I refuse to stop playing this game until I do not suck at battle with strong guys
I guess I'll level up again since I am just one fight from the point of no return no need to do a 3rd playthrough

I want to play this on my Wii but I can't figure out a way to make it look good =( I've tried component cables but it looks worse

this is a Wii game how do you make it look better unless you go Dolphin on PC?

What kind of TV are you working with?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think the game looked acceptable at 480p on my TV, but I think buying a nice plasma really helps with a lot of SD games. I imagine it's probably a lot worse for people with LCDs, especially cheaper/older ones.

But really, once you go Dolphin you can't go back. The game looks great with the improved IQ, but the pop-in is a little more annoying since everything is so crisp.

I refuse to stop playing this game until I do not suck at battle with strong guys
I guess I'll level up again since I am just one fight from the point of no return no need to do a 3rd playthrough

Give Dunban good slotted light armor. Hierax and Rondine are the best ones, I'd recommend Rondine since it's better for ether defense (and looks better!). +50 agility gem, both agility skill links from Sharla/Melia. Also link up any agility up skills that increase it on things like half HP, burst affinity, etc. I don't remember what all is available. Make sure he has Serene Heart as high level as you can get it.

Congratulations, nothing will hit you aside from the occasional ether attack. Go wild!

TheContact

I think the game looked acceptable at 480p on my TV, but I think buying a nice plasma really helps with a lot of SD games. I imagine it's probably a lot worse for people with LCDs, especially cheaper/older ones.

But really, once you go Dolphin you can't go back. The game looks great with the improved IQ, but the pop-in is a little more annoying since everything is so crisp.

Give Dunban good slotted light armor. Hierax and Rondine are the best ones, I'd recommend Rondine since it's better for ether defense. +50 agility gem, both agility skill links from Sharla/Melia. Also link up any agility up skills that increase it on things like half HP, burst affinity, etc. I don't remember what all is available. Make sure he has Serene Heart as high level as you can get it.

Congratulations, nothing will hit you aside from the occasional ether attack. Go wild!

I've tried a million versions of Dolphin, and for some reason during cutscenes especially the audio really tweaks out

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You need to use LLE audio (and in turn, a very powerful CPU). The default HLE audio is "faster" and doesn't require as much power, but in some games it just doesn't work right. Including this one, it has sync issues.

LLE does require file from your Wii to use, due to copyright issues.

would you dolphin users still support Xenoblade HD Edition on Wii U?

Give Dunban good slotted light armor. Hierax and Rondine are the best ones, I'd recommend Rondine since it's better for ether defense (and looks better!). +50 agility gem, both agility skill links from Sharla/Melia. Also link up any agility up skills that increase it on things like half HP, burst affinity, etc. I don't remember what all is available. Make sure he has Serene Heart as high level as you can get it.

I have have a 50" Plasma just because I knew that was the only way I could get 480p to shine too bad it only goes up to 720p I cannot afford a new tv for Wii U yet not that I'll need it for a few more years yet.

That is what I've been looking for I have lots of armor but not really sure who benefits from what
I'll go adjust Dunban

who benefits from Grace sets?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't like Grace armor for anyone. It has good stats, but it's unique and the gems that come with it are garbage. Art seal resist? Sleep resist? +45 ether? Total junk, open gem slots are worth a lot more than a little extra defense.

Outside specific situations, I like Rondine for pretty much everyone. I never grinded for it and Hierax has very similar stats, but focuses a little more on physical defense than ether, so I usually ended up with both of those.

Reyn is the primary exception, since he works well with heavy armor. Ledios is the best one with open slots I think.

And I probably would not be interested in a HD re-release. I doubt it would look better than it does on Dolphin. Team ICO collection is the only one on PS3(/360) that is worth it as far as I know since they actually improved the textures and stuff, PS2 games on PCSX2 look better than the PS3 versions. If they actually improved the lighting, spruced up the character models, and fixed the bad/low res textures I'd be all for it, but that would require a ton of work for a game of this size and Nintendo won't do it.

okay set up Dunban is this for CPU control or me controlling him

did not find Rondine gloves and yeah I have been focused on those unique treasure chest items I guess I have a lot of slotted items I can use but I'll have to hunt down more Rondine items for everyone else

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
CPU controls Dunban fine. All he needs to do is keep the Serene Heart aura up, and the AI does that just fine. If you have it leveled up high enough, he will always use it again as soon as it ends.

Lancelot armor is also pretty good for non-Dunban characters. More balanced than light armor, but you'll lose some agility.

was able to beat level 97 Glory Slobos using the tips above... I came close using Dunban a few times it had like nothing left for health but killed my party twice then tried Melia/Riki/Sharla using Melia and it was cake

I need to meet the level 99 for the item

thanks guys

ajim

Near the end of my 2nd playthrough and up to the part where
Melia and Fiora have a heart-to-heart outside Colony 6 and Melia says to herself "I'm nothing compared to her". Goddamn it, I wish this game had alternative paths/story lines to pursue so I could have Shulk and Melia together!

Near the end of my 2nd playthrough and up to the part where
Melia and Fiora have a heart-to-heart outside Colony 6 and Melia says to herself "I'm nothing compared to her". Goddamn it, I wish this game had alternative paths/story lines to pursue so I could have Shulk and Melia together!
I'm torn, because I really like Melia, and
It's sad to see her all alone in the end, but it's also refreshing to have a game where that happens, and I respect the developer's decision to make that happen. As much as I like Melia, Shulk ending up with her over Fiora doesn't make a lick of sense. I don't think Shulk could have ended up with Melia without disrespecting the character histories.

ajim

I'm torn, because I really like Melia, and
It's sad to see her all alone in the end, but it's also refreshing to have a game where that happens, and I respect the developer's decision to make that happen. As much as I like Melia, Shulk ending up with her over Fiora doesn't make a lick of sense. I don't think Shulk could have ended up with Melia without disrespecting the character histories.

I agree completely and I can't argue with that at all, I just feel really soured about the entire thing, especially
with Melia ending up all alone :(

I agree completely and I can't argue with that at all, I just feel really soured about the entire thing, especially
with Melia ending up all alone :(
I also enjoyed the continued...awkwardness of Sharla x Reyn. It continually has this feeling of "okay, so what's going on with you two?" Very realistic in that sense, haha.

Maybe we need some foreveralonemelia.jpg photoshops.

guys could this universe not support Polygamy? It would solve that Melia issue

But I have to hand it to the devs they made me care about her

Also another issue is colony 6
exclusive immigration where you can only select 1 of the 2 to invite
WHY? so sad :(

In a mecha, but with all her spells, too.

as long as that does not change her cute running animation and she gets some Sharla skanky outfits, she is such a modest little princess

after chaosblade's post of what armor I should use I put a Hierax set on Sharla o_O

I'm playing on a 42" Plasma, and it looks terrible.

It's a great game, but the longer I play it the more I wish it got released for an actual HD system.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I wouldn't say it looked good on my TV, just acceptable. Nothing can be done about the Wii's hardware power and the low poly models and poor textures, but the image quality wasn't as terrible as I've seen from some LCDs.

My parents have smaller, cheapish LCD, and SD games look like garbage on it compared to my TV which at least makes them acceptable. If that is the kind of TV most people are playing on (and it probably is) it's no wonder people hate dealing with SD games on the Wii!

Zornica

Banned
I've played it at a friends house, he has an old samsung lcd from around 2006. hooked it up with the COMPOSITE cable! (the one that comes in the box)
and I think it looked better than on my crt (hooked up with the expensiv original nintendo rgb cable).
same goes for every other wii game I tried. It looked really strange at 480i, but great at 576i. I think it looked even better than I remember 480p to look like.
If I had an lcd, this would be the way to go.

(or maybe, this lcd is just really good at using an analog signal.)

bigdude1

Banned
i was getting my ass raped on
Prision island 2nd visit, i was only a level 75 and some normal enemies were giving me trouble, had to grind up to level 77 to fight that beast boss thats level 78, he beat me a few times, got really close then he leveled up to level 82. i did eventually beat him.

even in anguish i find this game amazing

He's far more annoying to deal with than Blizzard Belgazas, despite being a lower level.
Really? I managed to beat Despotic Arsene before I did Blizzard Belzagas. Now if you want an example of a lower-level enemy being harder than a higher level one, I'd say Ancient Daedala was harder than both of Despotic Arsene and Blizzard Belzagas.

Really? I managed to beat Despotic Arsene before I did Blizzard Belzagas. Now if you want an example of a lower-level enemy being harder than a higher level one, I'd say Ancient Daedala was harder than both of Despotic Arsene and Blizzard Belzagas.

most of these fights seem to depend on your setup, gems, and skill
I would say a little bit of luck too... all these superbosses are kicking my ass so far need just a few more levels

they also have a bunch of strange new skills/talents I wish our characters could steal :)

Got to Mechonis Field last night. After the pure unadulterated awesomeness that is the design and scope of Fallen Arm (seriously, that view from Distant Fingertip? stunning) I don't think you could design a more awful looking and sounding environment than Mechonis Field. Dear lord the music in that zone, I want to stab my ears with a kitchen knife. I'm rushing from fight to fight as fast as possible so the awesome double kick drum metal battle music will kick in.

As an aside, am I missing something fundamental (50 hours in, cough) or is there no viable healer setup other than Sharla?
Fiona has one heal
, Shulk has one, Melia has the one elemental, and Riki has one also, but unless you're hopelessly overlevelled (which I usually am for non-boss fights) it seems like you always need her in the party as insurance. I feel like I should be rotating other characters in more often but Reyn/Shulk/Sharla is so money it seems like deliberate handicapping.

ajim

Mate, can you just add some spoiler tags to that post. Wouldn't want to spoil some bits there for others. A big spoiler there too btw.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fiora returning to the party
is definitely a spoiler, even though it's obvious a while before it happens. And the Mechonis Field theme is fantastic, one of the best songs in the game! And that's saying a lot, because the entire soundtrack is chock full of gems.

Anyway, you don't always need a healer. If you can't get through battles without Sharla it's an issue with your setup/strategy and not the game forcing you to use a character. Effectively any party setup will work, but there are definitely times where some characters are more useful than others.

I beat the entire game, including all the post-game content, without using Sharla (excluding the part where it's required). Plus the low level stuff. Obligatory Abaasy at level 55 brag post. Video has spoilers, but nothing BriareosGAF didn't already mention.

We'll just have to disagree on the Mechonis Field theme, I suppose :). My wife was napping on the couch and asked me to turn it off it was so terrible. And I say this as someone who paid for an import OST so my kids could dance to it ;).

I can roll without Sharla as long as I'm not running into uniques or bosses at similar level--right now my party for Mechonis Field is Shulk/Dunban/
Fiora
but I feel like that's mostly workable because I'm over-levelled, at 61 in a zone where I'm fighting mostly 56 or whatever. But if I tried to fight the M104 in Galahad Fortress when similarly levelled, I'd get crushed. Although it was fun to go back and nuke him with the above group last night.

It just seems like the Reyn/Shulk/Sharla group is so clearly superior min-max style to any others given the strength of the composition with a heavy tank, Monado dps, and healing.

Mechonis Field's soundtrack at first was not a favorite but like a few other areas it also grew on me as well... my only regret this playthrough is I forgot to go to the lower level so I could have all my landmarks and map fully explored
LLShC.gif

Sharla being a healer and basically the only healer is a good thing to me, it is a balance
I don't know why I am the only one who really likes her. She is my second favorite girl

Has anyone test out Terrain Gems? Could they protect you well enough to get no damage from swimming in things you should not be in?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It just seems like the Reyn/Shulk/Sharla group is so clearly superior min-max style to any others given the strength of the composition with a heavy tank, Monado dps, and healing.

The problem is that Sharla doesn't really add anything to the party except healing. You're basically sacrificing 1/3 of your damage output for it (or more, she's also the worst at raising the party gauge), because even when she does attack it's pathetically weak. The end result is that battles are longer and you take more damage than you need to, allowing her to justify her place. But if you're set up well, you can just win faster without her in the party at all, bosses and unique enemies included. So she really fails to justify her position.

And humorously enough Reyn is the only character in the game I'd consider worse because in the vast majority of situations someone else can do what you want him to do, but better. Dunban is a better tank most of the time, instead of taking damage and requiring babysitting you can dodge most attacks and just have the occasional heal from Shulk/Riki. Aside from Sword Drive, which can be a lot of fun, his damage output isn't all that great either, he's easily outclassed by Riki and Melia's DoT damage (plus Melia's bolt), 7th's insanely fast attacks, and Dunban and Shulk's generally high DPS.

There was a discussion about this some number of pages back. I think we kind of failed at making a proper "tier list" because we couldn't really place the middle characters (Melia, Riki, Dunban, 7th), but what was agreed upon was that Shulk is by far the best character in the game and Sharla/Reyn were... well, at the bottom.

But if you like using that party more power to you. Like I said before, pretty much any party works for any situation if you know what you're doing. That particular party will likely struggle with a boss toward the end of the game, but it's doable.

Has anyone test out Terrain Gems? Could they protect you well enough to get no damage from swimming in things you should not be in?
Terrain gems are one thing that made me wish this game let you save different loadouts for quick switching between them, like TF2 does. For example, I could have an exploration set full of Quick Step, Terrain Defense, Fall Defense, and other similar gems, and then have a different battle set full of all the normal battle gems. It'd be a lot easier then switching each individual gem manually

I also disliked the Mechonis Field music. It's not as terrible as Valak Mountain's day tune, though.

Terrain gems are one thing that made me wish this game let you save different loadouts for quick switching between them, like TF2 does. For example, I could have an exploration set full of Quick Step, Terrain Defense, Fall Defense, and other similar gems, and then have a different battle set full of all the normal battle gems. It'd be a lot easier then switching each individual gem manually
I don't see the point. Where do you want to travel? Character setup swaps would have been amazing, though.

Valak Mountain day theme sounds like it changes to a completely different, very generic theme partway through.

Riki is a good party member eventually, but I don't think the game made that clear when you get him. You already have Dunban and Reyn for Topple, and the only skill you'll see for Riki is a skill that MIGHT topple. Then, well:

Riki as a character is atrocious. First off, the Nopon are lazy, absent-minded, bloodthirsty savages, but aside from that little detail: He doesn't add anything. He takes away from every scene where his painful voice pipes in, and his baby talk gimmick is just horrible. Referring to Dunban as "Dundun" makes me want to mute every scene he's in. Cutesy "comic" relief characters aren't necessary, and it's also impossible for Riki to be cute because he's a 40 year old father of 11.

Was going through my youtube playlist and came across "You Will Know Our Names/Those Who Bear Their Name" and now I feel like playing the game all over again.

I also wanted to mention how I think despite the game having what people might call MMO controls and combat, it doesn't feel like I'm playing one in the slightest.

Might be because of the deeper intricacies in the combat system which are not present in MMO's, or the character banter.

Does anyone else know what I mean?

Valak Mountain day theme sounds like it changes to a completely different, very generic theme partway through.

Riki is a good party member eventually, but I don't think the game made that clear when you get him. You already have Dunban and Reyn for Topple, and the only skill you'll see for Riki is a skill that MIGHT topple. Then, well:

Riki as a character is atrocious. First off, the Nopon are lazy, absent-minded, bloodthirsty savages, but aside from that little detail: He doesn't add anything. He takes away from every scene where his painful voice pipes in, and his baby talk gimmick is just horrible. Referring to Dunban as "Dundun" makes me want to mute every scene he's in. Cutesy "comic" relief characters aren't necessary, and it's also impossible for Riki to be cute because he's a 40 year old father of 11.

Everything you hate about Riki makes him Boss to me... I guess it's just me not taking it too seriously he reminds me of Square's Final Fantasy mascot Moogle but with a soul. If this game need someone who needs to shut up in scenes it would be Reyn. :p

ajim

I hated Riki the first time I came across him too, however, after completing the game for a 2nd time I absolutely adore him.

RIKI BOUNCE SOME HEADS!

So good.

AniHawk

man how can you not like mechonis fields. i've listened to that on repeat almost days on end at work. best music in the game, and that's saying something. it just builds on itself in such a wonderful way.

zlatko

Banned
Alright so I ended up trading in my Wii and the game just due to the fact that I know I'll never finish it due to time constraints.

So I'm here for mega spoilers from you guys.

I got up to
you helping out what's her tits with her little ceremony in the temple where she was going to get killed when she wears her mask. You get the hint her mom was behind it or whatever.

I already had a big idea on where the plot was headed and certain aspects.
The mech robots are people's souls inside them. Like the main one who kills your best gal pal is the guy from the start of the game who ran from Dunban and used claw weapons. I also thought that eventually you will use the Monado to travel back in time to save your gal pal, or if she's a soul in one of the mechs, you find a way to free her and save her.

So based off of this, feel free to spoil and let me know WTF would've happened if I had another 100 hours to dip into this game. :(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, after looking at the "Jaw-dropping video-game scenes" and seeing this game everywhere, I really wanna pick-up where I left off at the Mechonis area.

I just hope I can get back into it after like 4 months without playing it. :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright so I ended up trading in my Wii and the game just due to the fact that I know I'll never finish it due to time constraints.

So I'm here for mega spoilers from you guys.

I got up to
you helping out what's her tits with her little ceremony in the temple where she was going to get killed when she wears her mask. You get the hint her mom was behind it or whatever.

I already had a big idea on where the plot was headed and certain aspects.
The mech robots are people's souls inside them. Like the main one who kills your best gal pal is the guy from the start of the game who ran from Dunban and used claw weapons. I also thought that eventually you will use the Monado to travel back in time to save your gal pal, or if she's a soul in one of the mechs, you find a way to free her and save her.

So based off of this, feel free to spoil and let me know WTF would've happened if I had another 100 hours to dip into this game. :(

You're right for the most part.
Claw dude is Mumhkar, and the white mechon that had been shown once or twice at that point had Fiora as a "pilot."

But all of that is really pretty minor and the general concept of faced mechon would become obsolete by the time you finished the area you were in. You hadn't even gotten into the meat of the story.

At prison island you meet Zanza (who is ultimately the final boss, and is effectively the "soul" of the Bionis), a couple areas later Egil (who is kind of a "trap" boss that the game tries to trick you into thinking is the real enemy, and Meyneth, who is the other god along with Zanza (Mechonis soul) and is using Fiora is a vessel.

Zanza basically lays things out for you pretty straightforward, but you don't know enough at that point to really understand what all he's telling you. He unlocks the Monado so you can fuck up faced mechon, and lets you have at it... because Shulk is actually just a vessel for Zanza. Which makes a lot more sense if you remember back to things like Shulk mentioning two voices in his head, and various things that happen later in the game. And most importantly: his ability to control the Monado. Fiora and Mumhkar attack at Prison Island, but with your super-Monado they're not really a threat at all, and the Meyneth/Fiora combination isn't really after a fight anyway.

So you head to Mechonis from there, kill Mumhkar, and try to save Fiora. You meet Egil, the big baddie of Mechonis, and chase him to Sword Valley. Destroy their base with help from Fiora, and she regains her senses and Meyneth kind of chills in her brain of whatever. From there you further attack Mechonis and reach the head, fight Egil, win, but Shulk refuses to listen to Zanza's voice demanding he kill Egil.

So Dickson, who is actually working for Zanza, shoots Shulk. This puts him out of commision and Zanza leaves Shulk's body. He fights Fiora, then Meyneth leaves her body and the two fight, Zanza kills her and takes her Monado, so he has both the Bionis and Mechonis Monados which is supposed to make him the supreme ruler, and his visions (which are kind of like what Shulk saw) should have been effectively unlimited. The party escapes and Zanza, controlling the Bionis itself, briefly fights Egil and the Mechonis before Zanza destroys it.

It gets even weirder from there. Loritha and Alvis also happen to be disciples of Zanza along with Dickson. Shulk gets fixed up and gets a Monado of his own, Zanza taking his living body as a vessel somehow made him a third wheel in the Zanza/Meyneth duality. Shulk and co take advantage of a wound to the Bionis and head to the interior and beat Lorithia, and Dickson opens a portal to Prison Island. You follow him, kill him, then fight and kill Zanza.

And if you think things couldn't get any weirder or further out there, they do. Alvis is actually a computer, and Zanza (Klaus) and Meyneth were actually two scientists running an experiment. Klaus used this machine which destroyed the universe and created a new one, with that machine - Alvis - as it's effective god. But Alvis gave Zanza and Meyneth (Bionis and Mechonis) the power to basically shape things as they wished, and they created people and machina in their images. Because both of them were now dead,
Mechonis was destroyed and Bionis was decaying, Shulk had to act as an input to create a new universe, and he chose to create a universe with no gods. A universe implied to be ours. And everybody lives happily ever after.

That's a pretty ugly summary that overlooks a ton of details, but the plot is so ridiculous and thorough (because despite the crazy, it actually does come together and make sense for the most part) it's hard to write a brief summary.

zlatko

Banned
That's the most fuck awesome story since Xenogears in terms of craziness and just awesome takes on the existence of people with religious tones throughout.

It really does feel like I never actually played the story for Xenoblade even after 50 hours of it. :/

Antagon

Man, after looking at the "Jaw-dropping video-game scenes" and seeing this game everywhere, I really wanna pick-up where I left off at the Mechonis area.

I just hope I can get back into it after like 4 months without playing it. :/

Same here. Actually got back in pretty easy today and did a four hour session. Game is still fantastic! Now I'll just try and ignore the majority of side quests so I won't burn myself out again.

Top Bottom