• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

ajim

That's the most fuck awesome story since Xenogears in terms of craziness and just awesome takes on the existence of people with religious tones throughout.

It really does feel like I never actually played the story for Xenoblade even after 50 hours of it. :/
yeah, that summary is awesome but it still doesn't touch the awesomness of actually experiencing said events.

You really missed out on not being able to complete the game, man!

zlatko

Banned
yeah, that summary is awesome but it still doesn't touch the awesomness of actually experiencing said events.

You really missed out on not being able to complete the game, man!

That's life. I just don't have the time. I bought Borderlands 2 when it came out and have a whopping like 2 hours of it done. :(

I've had Xeno since it released and only had about 40-50 hours.

Was going through my youtube playlist and came across "You Will Know Our Names/Those Who Bear Their Name" and now I feel like playing the game all over again.

Hahaha, dude the same thing just happened to me. What's up Xenoblade-GAF? Chaosblade I see you're still in here dishing out advice. You should get an award or something, man.

Anyway, I'm gonna wait a little longer until I replay it. I want to forget enough about the game so it becomes somewhat new again. I did the same with Okami and I enjoyed 2 more full playthroughs in the years after I bought it.

Chaosblade I see you're still in here dishing out advice. You should get an award or something, man.

He's almost certainly the most knowledgeable, helpful, patient Xenoblade fan outside of the dev team. The guy has done some incredible things, things that nobody else has even considered doing.

Dude is a wizard.

It's already confirmed to be a new IP.

Xenosaga/Xenoblade are different IP's, with the only relation being the first part of the name. They could make a game with the Xeno prefix and it would still be a new IP unless it was a sequel of either games.

Unless you mean they confirmed that they are ditching the whole "Xeno" naming thing?

Xenosaga/Xenoblade are different IP's, with the only relation being the first part of the name. They could make a game with the Xeno prefix and it would still be a new IP unless it was a sequel of either games.

Unless you mean they confirmed that they are ditching the whole "Xeno" naming thing?
Oh. Since we're in a Xenoblade thread, I assumed you meant a sequel to this game.

Zornica

Banned
That's the most fuck awesome story since Xenogears in terms of craziness and just awesome takes on the existence of people with religious tones throughout.

It really does feel like I never actually played the story for Xenoblade even after 50 hours of it. :/

I'd take some time and watch at least the major cutscenes. shouldn't take more than 3 hours to cover the most important ones.

starting here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfEagLDCF50
(btw: interessting foreshadowing... never noticed that one)
high entia looked like telethia...
you can cut down everything you wish, nothing but a god can stand in your way

btw: is there some sort of "xenoblade movie" somewhere? shouldn't be to hard cuting all scenes together. could certainly be an interessting 6 hour movie. (or maybe 3x2hours? like a trillogy with cliffhangers)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I completed the map of Eryth Sea, but I can't seem to find Archer Hodes for one Alcamoth quest.

Where are the dudes? They're not at the Hode Reserve like I'd thought they'd be.

I recently got back into this game and I've been playing about 3 hours every night after work. Some things about the battle system still confuse me and I find myself really fighting with the camera during the more intense fights (or seeing who I'm attacking for that matter -- if only there was a way to pause for a moment and select what enemy you wanted to focus on), but overall I'm really loving the game. Even 25 hours in the scale of certain areas is still surprising me.

Watch Da Birdie

Showdown Cliff iirc, one of the islands at the far north of Eryth Sea.

Thanks!

By the way, does the map automatically fill in all the blank areas once you find all the Landmarks? I dunno what I did, because I know I didn't swim all over Eryth Sea, but suddenly my map is complete with no gaps anywhere.

ajim

I finally got my mate to buy and play this game after nearly a year of being on his back about it, and he's up to
just discovering zanza at prison island
and is pissed at me for not pressuring him to play it earlier because he's absolutely loving it.

He's a hardcore finalfantasy fan and wasn't expecting too much from xenoblade, but is being blown away at the moment.

The areas on (I'm level 67)
the Mechonis are getting pretty tiring. The leg was a good start, but the Central Factory just felt like filler to make it take longer to get to Agniratha, and now that I'm in Agniratha, every section looks the same and it's a never-ending stream of Mechon. But there's so many unique enemies that I can't really pass up the leveling opportunity. Still, I want to get past this whole Mechon saga, because it was always obvious Egil wouldn't be the final boss. Get Zanza in here already.

The plot isn't bad, but it loves to foreshadow its plot twists far too blatantly (Telethia are going to turn out to be the ancestors/ original form/ whatever of the High Entia, Dickson is more than just some Hulk Hogan imitator with a big gun, so on. And as soon as I saw the "Shulk floating through space" dream and Meyneth just sort of casually mentioning that Zanza controls the Bionis like it's not big deal, I started to figure out where the plot is going. Let me guess, Zanza is a god/ godlike being who manipulates the world for some purpose, and so we kill him because the world doesn't need him and all he's done is get people killed. Even though Gurren Lagann and Asura's Wrath are really the only examples I can think of, I get the feeling this concept actually appears in quite a few RPG's and anime. But don't tell me if I'm right.

Watch Da Birdie

Only five quests left in Alcamoth, and then I can finally move on. :D

Apparently one though is a long-running quest linked to ones in previous areas...great. :/

ajim

Does anyone remember the post/poster who explained the ending to Xenoblade very well. They touched on the whole
Alvis being a Monad thing and explained.

I used to have it bookmarked on my old PC but not anymore, and would love to read it again.

Sigh

Zornica

Banned
Does anyone remember the post/poster who explained the ending to Xenoblade very well. They touched on the whole
Alvis being a Monad thing and explained.

I used to have it bookmarked on my old PC but not anymore, and would love to read it again.

Sigh

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31999871&postcount=14947

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32000515&postcount=14948

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32004583&postcount=14953

one of those maybe?

btw: nice cut through the entire game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4cefW8t0Ms

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There are several of those videos, probably by the same person. They use different songs and focus more on scenes that fit with the song (I remember one used the second battle theme and focused on stuff like combat/action scenes).

bigdude1

Banned
There are several of those videos, probably by the same person. They use different songs and focus more on scenes that fit with the song (I remember one used the second battle theme and focused on stuff like combat/action scenes).
yeah, saw most of those too, really great vids.

Syrinx

I'm about 95 hours into this game and just reached
...some factory, I forget the name. It's the area just after Mechonis Field
. About how far into the game am I?

Also, in the lttp thread, somebody said that the last 20 hours or so tainted his vision of the final product. Is this a consensus? Should I be concerned?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm about 95 hours into this game and just reached
...some factory, I forget the name. It's the area just after Mechonis Field
. About how far into the game am I?

Also, in the lttp thread, somebody said that the last 20 hours or so tainted his vision of the final product. Is this a consensus? Should I be concerned?

You're 85%ish. And not really, some people really like the ending, others feel like it's too out there. It makes sense when you take everything into account, if you haven't really paid a lot of attention it can seem like it just pulled everything out of it's ass.

Jintor

I picked it up again after a period of 4 or 5 months not playing and it fits like a glove. It's just so easy to get into the rhythm of break-topple-daze. PLUS I just picked up 7th, so everything is new again!

Now I got to figure out what to make 7th spec in... what crystals should I equip?

Apenheul

Yeah I also just started playing this again. I'm about 104 hours in presumably right before the end of the game,
I'm chasing Dickson on Prison Island
but I want to upgrade Colony 6 some more before I finish this. I'm constantly changing my party; when I first started playing this game I would only use Shulk, Reyn and Sharla. I changed my party to Melia, Dunban and Riki after figuring out that I should focus on Ether for the boss
Lorithia
and now I'm using
_7th_
as my main character for the first time which makes battles feel interesting and fresh again. Trying out new characters is a lot of fun and there's incentive to find advanced arts books and level up your characters in the process.

By this time I realized that Xenoblade had become my favorite RPG, it reminded me of Skies of Arcadia in a lot of ways but is better in almost every aspect IMO (except characters). It's extremely ambitious, and as a result some elements are flawed, but I can easily overlook those flaws when I realize that no other (console) RPG released in this generation has provided me with so many hours of entertainment.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I picked it up again after a period of 4 or 5 months not playing and it fits like a glove. It's just so easy to get into the rhythm of break-topple-daze. PLUS I just picked up 7th, so everything is new again!

Now I got to figure out what to make 7th spec in... what crystals should I equip?

Agility. But that should be on everybody anyway.

Double Attack and Haste are a beautiful combination on that character. And someone else suggested Lightning Attack which is also very good for them.

Roklie

Need some help with the things to so before
Mechonis Core
. I'm mostly interested in
the additional skill trees and the "must-do" things before some of the areas become inaccessible. Is it true that unlocking the additional skill trees becomes impossible after that? Are there any weapons or other gear I should try to get, reach a certain affinity level with the areas etc.?
Thanks for all the help!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Need some help with the things to so before
Mechonis Core
. I'm mostly interested in
the additional skill trees and the "must-do" things before some of the areas become inaccessible. Is it true that unlocking the additional skill trees becomes impossible after that? Are there any weapons or other gear I should try to get, reach a certain affinity level with the areas etc.?
Thanks for all the help!

None of the skill trees are entirely missable. One or two might be harder to get (Melia and Dunban's 4th, both have been obtainable for a long time at the point you're at), but not missable.

The only things that are missable are the timed quests some unique monsters/affinity coins in inaccessible areas (
that is, all Mechonis areas except Fallen Arm, including Sword Valley which you've already missed at this point.
). If you continue, every single timed quest in the game* expires. So just be aware of that.

*There are some weirdo Colony 6 quests that are marked as timed, but they are not. They're just exclusive quests where you can do it or another, but not both.

Roklie

None of the skill trees are entirely missable. One or two might be harder to get (Melia and Dunban's 4th, both have been obtainable for a long time at the point you're at), but not missable.

The only things that are missable are the timed quests some unique monsters/affinity coins in inaccessible areas (
that is, all Mechonis areas except Fallen Arm, including Sword Valley which you've already missed at this point.
). If you continue, every single timed quest in the game* expires. So just be aware of that.

*There are some weirdo Colony 6 quests that are marked as timed, but they are not. They're just exclusive quests where you can do it or another, but not both.
Thanks! And btw, I just read a check-list that says
you should max out the affinity of a bunch of areas before proceeding
, is that really necessary?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks! And btw, I just read a check-list that says
you should max out the affinity of a bunch of areas before proceeding
, is that really necessary?

It's not really necessary. If you want to get max affinity/do all the side quests, then go for it, but you don't really get anything except an in-game achievement thing for it. Apart from the timed side quests (and like I said, every one of them will expire if you continue) the rest can be done at any time.

You can get all the
4th skill trees
at the point you're at now, and all but Shulk's (due to the stupid affinity requirement) should be extremely easy since you're way overleveled for the quests for them.

The other ones won't be available until after the next area, but they're intended for the "post-game." At the very least you'll need to be able to reliably kill level 90+ enemies.

Synless

What characters and what corresponding skills are the best to use and level up in this game? As much as I would like to soak the whole game in, I need to finish it quickly to get in to the rest of my backlog.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
What characters and what corresponding skills are the best to use and level up in this game? As much as I would like to soak the whole game in, I need to finish it quickly to get in to the rest of my backlog.

It really depends on your playstyle, you would probably get different answers from pretty much everyone.

For speed, ditch Sharla early on (she slows down battles a lot since she spends so much time on support arts and has low damage output).

A party of Shulk/Dunban/Reyn will have good damage output and great topple/daze options. Remember you can use topple/daze on a toppled/dazed enemy to extend the time they are down. So you can unload all your topple and daze attacks, then use a chain attack and unload them again, at which point the enemy will probably be down so long the fight is effectively over. So yeah, green and yellow arts are musts for this group (except Thunder, it kind of sucks).

Dunban is a beast of a tank with Serene Heart and as much agility as possible. So you would want to level that up.

Red arts are also great for chains since they easily build the multiplier. Dunban has some good ones (Gale Slash, Worldly Slash, Soaring Tempest), Reyn has lots of these, notably Sword Drive, which is insane when combined with Berserk and Magnum Charge.

Ok, I'm at the
Bionis Chest/Heart
. Am I supposed to be really under-leveled? I haven't had to grind the entire game, but I haven't been able to scratch
Lorithia
at my current level (Lv. 70). Any suggestions?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, thanks for the advice, I will look into those. What about shill though? What should he concentrate on?

Shulk? Most of his arts are pretty useful. Shield is the only Monado art that really needs to be leveled up occasionally so you can defend against talent arts. Enchant at level 4 or so is plenty for the whole game, and Speed doesn't even need to be leveled up if you pay attention to the vision timer. Armor is huge once you get it, that one you will definitely want to pour points into.

For regular arts, you will probably want to use his healing art since you won't have any other healing options. And his offensive arts, all of them. Shaker Edge is good to level up since it's a daze art and you'll want to be able to use it frequently. Backslash is beastly. Slit Edge's defense-down debuff is nice and the time increases with each level. Both pink arts are pretty good too.

Only ones you really don't need to put a lot of points into are the two blue arts. Shadow Eye is good, but only put points into if you've having problems picking up aggro on Shulk a lot. The other one (I don't even remember what it's called) I never even bothered using (Sacrifice 50% HP to fill your talent gauge).

Ok, I'm at the
Bionis Chest/Heart
. Am I supposed to be really under-leveled? I haven't had to grind the entire game, but I haven't been able to scratch
Lorithia
at my current level (Lv. 70). Any suggestions?

You're definitely underleveled, and that's a boss that gives a lot of people fits even when they're appropriately leveled. You probably didn't spend much time in the previous area (
Agniratha
) and just rushed through it, which is why you're so underleveled.

For starters, physical damage is almost useless in that fight unless you topple the enemy. So you'll either want to do that or focus on ether attacks (Melia, Riki).

You'll also want to level up. Unfortunately there aren't really many quest options available at that point, everything that gives decent experience would be intended for people much higher level than you. So you're probably stuck grinding, but even that shouldn't take too long at your level if you focus on the higher level enemies and unique monsters (especially uniques).

Jarmel

Banned
I'm at the Erynth Sea at level 38 and I'm getting wiped by this pack of enemies at level 36. What the fuck. How is it possible I'm underleveled when I've grinded the hell out of this game.

I'm at the Erynth Sea at level 38 and I'm getting wiped by this pack of enemies at level 36. What the fuck. How is it possible I'm underleveled when I've grinded the hell out of this game.
If you ever have to grind, it's a sign that you're not understanding the game mechanics. The game is trying to tell you something.

Zornica

Banned

I guess you'r talking about that kromars ganging up on you? If so, it's normal that they are harder, they are like a small boss fight. but once you kill at least one of them, there whole formation will be destroyed.
there isn't much advice I can give you, except for the obvious stuff... If you can't beat them, try changing your party (if you are still using shulk-reyn-sharla). get some agility gems, make sure you got your best gear equiped.

I was afraid that was the case. I'll probably go explore, find secret areas and complete some area maps. After that I'll probably craft some gems and start grinding. Thanks for the help.

you could also just try to find all unique monsters in
bionis interiour
and defeat them. that would give you a significant xp and gear boost.
just remember: everything in there is resistant against physical attacks, so getting handy with melia and riki should be your priority. (you will need it for
lorithia
too, at least it will help a lot)

You're definitely underleveled, and that's a boss that gives a lot of people fits even when they're appropriately leveled. You probably didn't spend much time in the previous area (
Agniratha
) and just rushed through it, which is why you're so underleveled.

For starters, physical damage is almost useless in that fight unless you topple the enemy. So you'll either want to do that or focus on ether attacks (Melia, Riki).

You'll also want to level up. Unfortunately there aren't really many quest options available at that point, everything that gives decent experience would be intended for people much higher level than you. So you're probably stuck grinding, but even that shouldn't take too long at your level if you focus on the higher level enemies and unique monsters (especially uniques).

I was afraid that was the case. I'll probably go explore, find secret areas and complete some area maps. After that I'll probably craft some gems and start grinding. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom