• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For the main game the party commands are almost entirely unnecessary, I don't think I used them a single time during my first playthrough aside from that fight he's talking about.

I did use them a fair amount during my second playthrough and for self-imposed challenges/extra stuff.

Zornica

Banned
anyone ever tried to calculate how tall bionis and mechonis are?
shouldn't be to hard thanks to the quest markers.
would be interessting because if they really are
on earth I wondered how can they breath and live if bionis is more than 12 km tall.

For the main game the party commands are almost entirely unnecessary, I don't think I used them a single time during my first playthrough aside from that fight he's talking about.

I did use them a fair amount during my second playthrough and for self-imposed challenges/extra stuff.

I just used the cheesy thing where you select "run away" to pull them to you, then re-engage combat. Was useful for a few fights where they were too close to the various edges, including the one mentioned by the poster above.

I used them a ton, personally. The real problem with the party commands is your partners often don't feel like listening.

FOCUS ON THIS GUY!
*Sharla pewpews off at someone else*
DAMN IT SHARLA!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
anyone ever tried to calculate how tall bionis and mechonis are?
shouldn't be to hard thanks to the quest markers.
would be interessting because if they really are
on earth I wondered how can they breath and live if bionis is more than 12 km tall.

Not really sure how measuring with quest markers would work, since they only show up when you're in the same area. And most areas are horizontal and not vertical. And even those few that are leave a ton of gaps. Not to mention the world is almost certainly not made to scale.

The Eryth Sea measuring stick hypothesis seems like the best bet since it seems like one of the best scaled areas, and you can get a straight measurement at one point in the game. And that does come out to about 11km, give or take. But even that is totally questionable in terms of accuracy.

I used them a ton, personally. The real problem with the party commands is your partners often don't feel like listening.

FOCUS ON THIS GUY!
*Sharla pewpews off at someone else*
DAMN IT SHARLA!

That's part of the problem too, it takes time for them to go through, and your party member will continue doing whatever if they have something "queued." An easy example of this is to stand away from an enemy and start a fight, then call your party members back right away. It will take several seconds for them to respond to the command, and they'll probably hit the enemy if you're not really far away.

Henke

Well I managed to beat that fight after at least 20 attempts. Hardest of the entire game so far, although I did have a lot of trouble with
Gadolt
too. I used Melia and Sharla and just had to get lucky enough to not get battered into the ether pools during the fight. Feels good now though. Any idea how long I've got left?

Zornica

Banned
Well I managed to beat that fight after at least 20 attempts. Hardest of the entire game so far, although I did have a lot of trouble with
Gadolt
too. I used Melia and Sharla and just had to get lucky enough to not get battered into the ether pools during the fight. Feels good now though. Any idea how long I've got left?

I guess you will see soon enough
about 2 hours

Not really sure how measuring with quest markers would work, since they only show up when you're in the same area. And most areas are horizontal and not vertical. And even those few that are leave a ton of gaps. Not to mention the world is almost certainly not made to scale.

The Eryth Sea measuring stick hypothesis seems like the best bet since it seems like one of the best scaled areas, and you can get a straight measurement at one point in the game. And that does come out to about 11km, give or take. But even that is totally questionable in terms of accuracy.

It won't be 100% accurate but i think it could be close. you just need a quest marker somewhere. with it, it should be possible to figure out how fast you'r running. you could measure how long it takes to run 100 meters. when you know the speed, all thats left is looking for a measurable bodypart like bionis head or mechonis thight. or maybe bionis leg (from the knee). after that, some artworks should be enough to calculate the rest.

Henke

Fucking hell, this game is really testing my resolve to finish it now. I'm already close to 90 hours into it, spent today grinding to beat
Dickson
only to get stuck on the
second form of Zanza
for two straight hours. I haven't been able to save for hours since going past the point of no return, but I'm so fucking tired (and have to get up for work) that I've had to switch the Wii off and concede to losing that time forever. I love this game, but it can go fuck itself. I might not even go back to it now, even though I was ONE fight away from finishing it after investing this much time. I wasn't even getting close to beating the fight I was on either (level 81 Shulk, 7th and Sharla).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There shouldn't be hours of content after the point of no return, the first boss after it and the final boss is the only significant content, the rest is just some quick running from point A to point B and some easy fights inbetween.

And at 81 with that party the final boss should be a piece of cake, 79 is the highest level I've beaten it at and both times I've been in the 70s I thought it was surprisingly easy (at level 55, not so much!). I'm not really sure how you're struggling unless you just have some game mechanics you still haven't wrapped your head around.

Jintor

I annihilated the final boss at lvl 81 with Shulk/Dunban/7th. Combos all day erry day, double attack gems, agility gems, everything's cool

Henke

There shouldn't be hours of content after the point of no return, the first boss after it and the final boss is the only significant content, the rest is just some quick running from point A to point B and some easy fights inbetween.

And at 81 with that party the final boss should be a piece of cake, 79 is the highest level I've beaten it at and both times I've been in the 70s I thought it was surprisingly easy (at level 55, not so much!). I'm not really sure how you're struggling unless you just have some game mechanics you still haven't wrapped your head around.

I'd certainly hope that I had learned how to play the game after this long. Then again...

Velti

Neo Member
SO. With agility being the most important stat...

...I kind of wish I'd kept Dunban's original armor. He looked so classy. I've got a bit of a mish mash on him now and he looks kind of... inelegant. (I just finished
Prison Island and made it to the snowy area.
I do appreciate the sweet eye-patch I just bought him.)

If I ever do a second playthrough, I'm tempted to take everyone's armor off before a cutscene for giggles.

And I really like Sharla, but her armor makes me sad. The majority make her look like she's part of a fantasy burlesque troupe. And they made her boobs jiggle. :( Poor Sharla needs a bra! And a cool set of armor! ...and more attack moves!

Some of Sharla's tops basically ARE bras. And nothing else.

Dunban was wearing Blade Armor and feathers in his hair for half the game, I nearly forgot what his hair was supposed to look like. And Shulk was topless during some important cutscenes. Isn't that half the fun of equipping new armor?

Jintor

The armour customisation is kind of cool, but it's also shit. Like I said, half of 7th's cutscenes looked borderline nonsensical. Shulk in Brave Gear was pretty rad though, he looks like a baller.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Dunban gets a variety of armor types that look like his original armor. I think these are the ones you should come across (from soonest to latest).

Jail (Eryth Sea-Valak Mountain area)
Brave
Alcyone
Rondine (end of the game/post-game)

Henke

Right, I'm going to give the end game another bash when I get in from work. Let's hope this doesn't become another Boy & His Blob for me (loved it but gave up on the final boss).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I thought he was entirely immune to daze. He also has a time resist for topple, but it's still worth a topple chain since it's a pretty small resistance. Abaasy and especially Despotic Arsene have much bigger time resistances. Topple is practically useless on Arsene, each topple effect lasts maybe a second.

Velti

Neo Member
Dear Lord, these creature names. They kill me. I'd bet money that used some automatic generator. ADJ + NAME

Unscrupulous Chavez!! Didactic Charles! Parsimonious Christobal!

And yeah, I picked up some of the strangely named Jail armor for mah team. (Good news, Sharla, no more breeze! And a cool doo rag!)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A lot of the unique enemies seem to have completely random names, but others seem pretty intentional.

Like the super-bosses (aside from Belgazas?), Arsene being a slippery asshole that's hard to hit and resists topple, Ancient Daedala being the first Mechon, and Abaasy being a powerful evil demon (though he's actually a dragon here, but still).

Jintor

So what's the difference between Mechon and
Machina? I was thinking of Machina as the Homs/High Entia/Nopon equivalents of Mechonis' sentient life, while Mechon were closer to the wildlife of Bionis.

Henke

I've decided to grind to level 85 (or thereabouts) then go back to the final boss. It might take ages but it's less stressful and frustrating than getting my ass pounded time after time. Plus, I can just veg out to some podcasts while I do so. Is there anywhere better than the marsh at night time for this?

Zornica

Banned
I've decided to grind to level 85 (or thereabouts) then go back to the final boss. It might take ages but it's less stressful and frustrating than getting my ass pounded time after time. Plus, I can just veg out to some podcasts while I do so. Is there anywhere better than the marsh at night time for this?

if you are already lvl 80+ you could also start some endgame quests. they usually start around level 80. there are some in the marsh near the gorgols (at the "shrine" where before you entered bionis interior.
shouldn't take to long.
you could also run through the new areas in tephra cave without fighting. the exploration xp alone should be enough for a lvl up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

You've got skill links set up and are taking advantage of chain attacks right? Gotten decent armor? I mean, I'm really not sure why you're struggling at the level you are. It's baffling.

At level 82 you can go to
Alcamoth and start killing the trios of level 87 Telethia
but if you're struggling with the final boss, you might have trouble with those since you have to deal with fighting three at a time and they would have quite the advantage due to a 5 level difference. As long as you have plenty of agility and Shulk around to block their really strong talent art they aren't too bad though. But those do drop haste crystals (rank V) which is awesome and absolutely worth getting.

That area is probably the best to get around 90 or so, then you can use the expanded Tephra Cave area until you finally get strong enough to kill Deinos Sauros in Makna Forest, which you can ride to 99 while collecting awesome crystals (double attack, debuff resist, unbeatable).

So what's the difference between Mechon and
Machina? I was thinking of Machina as the Homs/High Entia/Nopon equivalents of Mechonis' sentient life, while Mechon were closer to the wildlife of Bionis.

I think the Machina said they created the Mechon, but I'm not really sure it mentioned the purpose since they existed before Bionis attacked. But the Machina are the proper sentient life of Mechonis.

But that comment does remind me of what I'd hoped/have liked the later areas to be like.
Mechonis areas being fields, forests and towns similar to Bionis, but mechanical. Metal trees and plants, mechanical wildlife, there could have been some incredibly unique world design. What they went with was pretty boring in comparison.

Henke

You've got skill links set up and are taking advantage of chain attacks right? Gotten decent armor? I mean, I'm really not sure why you're struggling at the level you are. It's baffling.

Well I got this far without getting quite as stuck as this. It is baffling, and frustrating. Cheers for the advice on where to head though, I'll give grinding a few hours then re-try the end game again. I swore to not play or start anything else until I beat this - whoops.

But that comment does remind me of what I'd hoped/have liked the later areas to be like.
Mechonis areas being fields, forests and towns similar to Bionis, but mechanical. Metal trees and plants, mechanical wildlife, there could have been some incredibly unique world design. What they went with was pretty boring in comparison.

A mechanical ecosystem (isn't that an oxymoron?) wouldn't just have literal mechanical analogies of organic life. There would be no reason for plants in particular to exist.
The inside of the Mechonis being an enormous, self-sustaining machine makes much more sense. Since it can't draw sustenance from mechanical life as Bionis does from organic life, it doesn't need anything living on its surface either.

A mechanical ecosystem (isn't that an oxymoron?) wouldn't just have literal mechanical analogies of organic life. There would be no reason for plants in particular to exist.
The inside of the Mechonis being an enormous, self-sustaining machine makes much more sense. Since it can't draw sustenance from mechanical life as Bionis does from organic life, it doesn't need anything living on its surface either.

Indeed. Mechonis was basically an industrial world while Bionis was a pastoral world; city and country.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

It makes sense, but that doesn't make it any less boring.

Velti

Neo Member
I just fought Prudent Purson.. Omigawsh, guise...

I also just recently started hearing the cute little post-battle chats. I mean, I guess they were always there, but I didn't realize there was an actual variety to them. The only one I've really noticed up until now was Reyn trying to show off to Sharla. (Melia and Dunban talking about Riki and Reyn was hilarious, and Reyn falling asleep just about killed me.)

And can I just talk about what an awesome female character Melia is? She kicks it on so many levels. Gold star, Monolith, gold star. (Though I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I'm sure she has some terrible armor similar to Sharla lurking someplace.)

Zornica

Banned
[...](Though I'm probably getting ahead of myself. I'm sure she has some terrible armor similar to Sharla lurking someplace.)

as far as I can remember, she only had decent clothing. on the other hand she is like 80 years old...

btw: I recently tried to play this in dolphin, but dolphin couldn't read the wbfs iso files... do I have to convert them somehow?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
as far as I can remember, she only had decent clothing. on the other hand she is like 80 years old...

btw: I recently tried to play this in dolphin, but dolphin couldn't read the wbfs iso files... do I have to convert them somehow?

I think I used Wii Backup Manager to covert rips to proper ISO files. It's been a while since I've ripped a game, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was.

Henke

Oh god, I got stuck there too. I got around it by back tracking to pick up the Armour Mondado art and by grinding in the large area the boss is in. Hope that helps.

Zornica

Banned
I got stuck on a boss fight around lvl 49. It was
Sharla's boyfriend
. Could not for the life of me get the hang of beating him. Any suggestions with characters, lvl and attacks, etc.?

you are lvl 49 and fighting
gadolt? wtf? were you just running from A to B ignoring anything in between?
you should be at least lvl 60 at that point. go back to the hidden village or better to alcamoth and do some quest there. or frontier village. this may be a good oportunity to get optional stuff like both monado techniques and the 4th skill trees for all characters

Zornica

Banned
ok, that sounds more like it.
I can't remember his level exactly but it should be something around 65? whatever it is, the closer you are to his level, the easier it gets. If you got monado armor yet, you should abuse it heavily. If you didn't get it yet, go back to the hidden village do some quests until someone gives you the art book. it will make fights much easier.
another thing you could do is check your inventory for armor and go defeat all unique bosses between the hidden village and gadolt. and also upgrade your arts, skilltrees, skill links etc, the obvious stuff.

the gadolt fight isn't that hard. run towards him, when the vision pops up, go hide behind one of the walls. that will shatter the vision.

Keasar

Question, is there a way, in-game, to know where to specifically find quest NPCs? Whenever I finish a quest, I feel like I have to spend a lot of time trying to remember where the person I am supposed to turn it in for is and WHEN during either the day or the night. Usually ends up with me running around in circles in the cities until I see a big marker on the mini-map.

Zornica

Banned
Question, is there a way, in-game, to know where to specifically find quest NPCs? Whenever I finish a quest, I feel like I have to spend a lot of time trying to remember where the person I am supposed to turn it in for is and WHEN during either the day or the night. Usually ends up with me running around in circles in the cities until I see a big marker on the mini-map.

depends on the city. it's harder to find people in colony6 and 9, I haven't figured out an easy way yet, but there is a trick for finding people in alcamoth and frontier village.
when you look at your map, you can see small blue dots. those are spawn points. and in A. + F.V., all npcs spawn at either 6 or 18 o'clock, there are only a handfull exceptions. Knowing that helped me a great deal. after doing a lot of quests, you learn where everyone lives which makes finding them easier and faster.

It may not be ingame... but it might help you anyway
http://www.abload.de/gallery.php?key=kFDaUQjJ
you can find maps with all npcs and spawntimes for alcamoth and frontier village there

Henke

Finished! Incredible game. Got through the final boss stuff at level 86 just to be sure. This is easily the joint best RPG of the generation
I have mad love for Lost Odyssey
and top 5 overall on Wii. It took 93 hours but it was worth it. If anyone is reading this thread and hasn't yet started (or purchased) this game then I strongly urge you to do so. It's going to be a long time before something this good comes along again.

Jswanko

So glad I got back into this game. Set it down after about 20 hours a couple months ago and I decided to jump back in over thanksgiving break. Just got to Makna Forest (at night) and I honestly said "wow". The scale and art design of this game are incredible.

Loving Frontier Village right now, Nopon are so well written I have to talk to each one. One in particular consciously discusses the reasons why Nopon talk cute and it was just perfect.

Velti

Neo Member
One in particular consciously discusses the reasons why Nopon talk cute and it was just perfect.

Yeah, that one kind of blew my mind.

Soo... are there character guides for anyone other than Melia? I feel like I'm getting to a stage in the game where I may want to be taking a more conscious approach to battle and art choice/leveling than I have in the past. What sort of gems should I put on which characters?
I'm at the fallen arm. We just found the machina village and need to find that part for Fiora. Does everyone call her 7th to avoid spoilers? Am I getting close to the High Entia quests expiring?

Zornica

Banned
Yeah, that one kind of blew my mind.

Soo... are there character guides for anyone other than Melia? I feel like I'm getting to a stage in the game where I may want to be taking a more conscious approach to battle and art choice/leveling than I have in the past. What sort of gems should I put on which characters?
I'm at the fallen arm. We just found the machina village and need to find that part for Fiora. Does everyone call her 7th to avoid spoilers? Am I getting close to the High Entia quests expiring?

as far as I know there is only my melia tutorial because she is the only character most people seem to have problems with. I also wrote one for riki, but it wasn't very in depth. (and it is also not available in english). But imo the other characters aren't that hard to understand. just read what there arts are for, and use them accordingly.
Gems are entirely up to you. It's always a good idea to stock up on agility, but haste and doubble attack is also nice to have (espacially for 7th, shulk and dunban).
Choosing between ether and strengh gems also depends on the arts you are using. ether arts got a faint line in the background. So if your arts are mostly ether based, it's obviously better to equip ether arts.
you don't have to worry about the high entia quests yet, but
sword valley and the fortress will be locked during the next area.
she is called 7th because it's more convenient than using spoiler tabs all the time.

image.php

o_O why am I so disturbed by this...?

neoemonk

I had a little trouble finding this but I finally found a Gamestop about 25 miles from me with a new copy. I should have bought it directly from Nintendo when I had the chance. I don't know when I'll get to this but it's bought and registered with Club Nintendo, so bring more RPGs to the Wii U!

I always used the Spreadsheet of Legend.

Top Bottom