• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Bullseye is pretty expensive isn't it? I was going to use that once but I couldn't spare the 50 or so coins that it required. I think that works better with an agility down strategy than a Night Vision one so you aren't as limited, but I guess the only real benefit in attacking Abaasy from the side is Slit Edge for defense down, but there are plenty of other options for that.

None of it really matters though, since it's not really hard to kill Abaasy at all unless you're placing restrictions on yourself or somehow got that far without a complete grasp of how the game's systems work.

And regarding Bionis height, you could probably also use the lengths of the leg (knee cap to the Colony 6 entrance). Also, going off what Mr.Mister said, you can also tell it's not really to scale when you look at how tiny Colony 9 is when viewed from above. I don't think Bionis Leg looks quite to scale either when you view it from the next area up.

Regardless, it is pretty cool to be able to look down at other parts of the world from various points.

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
Yeah, now that you mention it, linking Bullseye and replacing NV with Ag- will also help the rest of the party. Not that important to a Serene Dunban, but a non-Topple-locking Reyn will appreciate it.

Basically, once you defeat him, then it's up to you to self-impose challanges to beat him again in different ways to furtger master your own skill. I think the hardest "theoretically unimpossible" variant would be by only using Cure Bullet to counter his spike.

Ohohoh, Melia has a skill that reduces ether area attacks' damage, can be useful too.

Thanks for the extra advice, but I beat Abaasy the other day using the set-up in my post above.

I ended up killing it almost effortlessly which may seem anti climatic to some, but for me it was the culmination of 180 hours of play, the last chance for me to show that I had mastered the game. I then went through the end-game again and created a file with ng+.

I ended up playing 120 to beat the game, plus an additionally 60 hours on post-game content.

Amazing game which I'm sure has left an impression that will stay with me for years.

Edgeward

After trying to clean up all the sidequests related to Frontier Village, and holy hell there are so many, I finally reached the Eryth sea. 30 hours in. Could not beat Breezy Zolos though. Goddamn him and the giant Dino that slowly marches around there

Mr.Mister

Neo Member
Ah, Breezy Zolos is the one that introduces you to counter-spike damage, right?

BTW, an important sidequest will be available in Frontier once you move on from Eryth Sea but before you get to a new area, provided you repair a bridge.

Anfd hey, chaosblade, you can add two more entries to the list of things I want in X: a player(sufferable)-only "Gem Seal" debuff to comeppnsate for the enemy-only Aura Seal, and Reynday.

scottzorus

Neo Member
Recently started playing this after I finished last story. I'm really liking the setup of this game, feels like a single player mmo. If I don't do every side quest though will there be a need to grind in the future? Also, has someone posted a % completeness section for this game? For example, I just
got Dunban and Dickson back in my party and am on my way to the Bionis' lower back.
I know some games will tell you the % complete you are and I would like to know as I progress through.
Thanks

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If you do every side quest you'll end up way overleveled.

And that's pretty early in the game. Maybe 25% though the story?

Celegus

Well I finally beat Xenoblade the other night. Close to 100 hours over 3 months (though a good chunk of it was when I was sick for a week and barely did anything else). I was keeping up with the vast majority of the sidequests until the end, but when I got to the end... I just didn't feel like doing them anymore.

I still really enjoyed the game and it retroactively became my 2012 GOTY, but the idea of 100%'ing the game just wasn't very appealing for some reason, even though I usually love that stuff. For instance, my favorite part of FF XII was the optional end game content, like fighting that boss with 50 health bars.

Maybe in a few months I'll want to go back and finish it up, but as of now, I think I'm done with it. Amazing game, really glad I finally picked it up.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Well I finally beat Xenoblade the other night. Close to 100 hours over 3 months (though a good chunk of it was when I was sick for a week and barely did anything else). I was keeping up with the vast majority of the sidequests until the end, but when I got to the end... I just didn't feel like doing them anymore.

I still really enjoyed the game and it retroactively became my 2012 GOTY, but the idea of 100%'ing the game just wasn't very appealing for some reason, even though I usually love that stuff. For instance, my favorite part of FF XII was the optional end game content, like fighting that boss with 50 health bars.

Maybe in a few months I'll want to go back and finish it up, but as of now, I think I'm done with it. Amazing game, really glad I finally picked it up.

Well, Xenoblade's post-game isn't really all that interesting anyway. There are a few good quests and the level 100+ enemies to fight, but that's really about it.

Side content, post-game content, and NG+ are things I really hope X improves on. Make quests more quality over quantity, and add options to NG+ for what should be carried over, levels, skills, arts, and not just items. NG+ could also take advantage of difficulty levels.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Finally stopped doing sidequests to progress the story a bit. It's been said many times before, but deserves to be reiterated: Mechonis Field's music is incredible.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
It's a shame the design of the area is pretty boring. I mean, Mechonis Field isn't BAD, but all the areas in that part of the game look pretty samey.

I said before Mechonis Field would have been a LOT more interesting if it was composed fields with mechanical lifeforms. People disagreed because it doesn't make sense, but why does it have to "make sense?" You've already got
mechanical people that grow and live out lives like biotic people
so having other creatures and plants do the same wouldn't be entirely out of place, and it would be so much more interesting.

Niraj

It's a shame the design of the area is pretty boring. I mean, Mechonis Field isn't BAD, but all the areas in that part of the game look pretty samey.

I said before Mechonis Field would have been a LOT more interesting if it was composed fields with mechanical lifeforms. People disagreed because it doesn't make sense, but why does it have to "make sense?" You've already got
mechanical people that grow and live out lives like biotic people
so having other creatures and plants do the same wouldn't be entirely out of place, and it would be so much more interesting.

Personally, I agree with you. It's almost a symmetrical "go down this ramp" "now go back up and go down this other ramp!" sort of feel to it. I feel like that kind of generic aspect would work a lot better with Central Factory (which I haven't played through yet, so maybe it is like that) rather than the Field. I mean there's one piece of dialogue where
a Machina says something to the effect of "I used to play on Mechonis Field when I was younger"
which made me say "really?" Doesn't seem like that type of place at all. A mixture of organic and inorganic would make sense, especially when you consider the general acceptance of Bionis lifeforms by
the Machina
. It would just add an extra layer to that motivation, since there would be an implied sense of understanding and empathy, since there would be some similarities.

Edgeward

I finally beat Breezy, didn't know about the spike dmg. Never noticed an aura indicating so, but this time I just spammed aura blade every chance I got. No problem. I got stuck in the sidequest vortex as more popped up in Frontier so I haven't even gone a very far in Eryth Sea. Hopefully tomorrow I will.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I agree with you. It's almost a symmetrical "go down this ramp" "now go back up and go down this other ramp!" sort of feel to it. I feel like that kind of generic aspect would work a lot better with Central Factory (which I haven't played through yet, so maybe it is like that) rather than the Field. I mean there's one piece of dialogue where
a Machina says something to the effect of "I used to play on Mechonis Field when I was younger"
which made me say "really?" Doesn't seem like that type of place at all. A mixture of organic and inorganic would make sense, especially when you consider the general acceptance of Bionis lifeforms by
the Machina
. It would just add an extra layer to that motivation, since there would be an implied sense of understanding and empathy, since there would be some similarities.

I didn't necessarily mean actual "organic" Bionis-type lifeforms, but basically mechanical equivalents. Things like metallic, robotic trees and vegetation, and mechanical creatures other than just more bland, boring Mechon. It could have been a really unique setting, I can't say I've seen anything like that before.

Given that the game was a bit rushed toward the end, maybe they did have other plans for the latter half of the game, but they had to cut some things due to crunch time. It would certainly explain the game going from large and open areas to linear ones.

I finally beat Breezy, didn't know about the spike dmg. Never noticed an aura indicating so, but this time I just spammed aura blade every chance I got. No problem. I got stuck in the sidequest vortex as more popped up in Frontier so I haven't even gone a very far in Eryth Sea. Hopefully tomorrow I will.

You'll see purple damage numbers on your characters if the enemy has spike damage. That's about the only indicator.

Edgeward

Oh, I see. I must've misremembered the tutorial then. I thought they would have some glowing aura to warn you. Good to know. Thanks.

Niraj

I didn't necessarily mean actual "organic" Bionis-type lifeforms, but basically mechanical equivalents. Things like metallic, robotic trees and vegetation, and mechanical creatures other than just more bland, boring Mechon. It could have been a really unique setting, I can't say I've seen anything like that before.

Given that the game was a bit rushed toward the end, maybe they did have other plans for the latter half of the game, but they had to cut some things due to crunch time. It would certainly explain the game going from large and open areas to linear ones.

We're on the same page, that's how I was conceptualizing it. I might have phrased that poorly though. Wasn't implying it would necessarily be an actual mix of organic and mechanical, but rather just have the semblance of that idea.

So how far along am I when I'm heading to
mechonis core
? Am I almost done?
I'm at the roughly the area, so I'm kinda curious too.

80hours in, and I feel like I got a ton of content still to clear through. Party affinity to build up, a bunch of late game sidequests to clear up, endgame equipment to hunt down, talent art books to collect, and a bunch of unique monsters in the 80/90s to hunt down.

Log4Girlz

My level is only in the 70's. I've done nearly every sidequest there is though there are still a few and the colony 6 stuff. :/

I wish I knew better. If I played this game over again, I would play totally differently.

Kenka

Thanks for the extra advice, but I beat Abaasy the other day using the set-up in my post above.

I ended up killing it almost effortlessly which may seem anti climatic to some, but for me it was the culmination of 180 hours of play, the last chance for me to show that I had mastered the game. I then went through the end-game again and created a file with ng+.

I ended up playing 120 to beat the game, plus an additionally 60 hours on post-game content.

Amazing game which I'm sure has left an impression that will stay with me for years.
So much that I scraped my NG+ file to start the game all over again. I took the decision after defeating a bunch of Deinos Sauros at level 81 and after realizing the fact that heavy equipment slows you down on the map (never realized before). I want to perfect this game in an efficient way while using all possibilities provided to me by the gameplay (character links, better management of gems, select farming, optimal chain attacks, etc.).

Oh, I so wish there was a 60 FPS patch for the game.

I finally beat this game yesterday. I feel like I'm finally at peace with this game. The funny thing is even with how gigantic this game is, I still wish there was more and more(even past post game content stuff).

It gives me hope that console JRPGs still have potential.

Wichu

I'm at the roughly the area, so I'm kinda curious too.

80hours in, and I feel like I got a ton of content still to clear through. Party affinity to build up, a bunch of late game sidequests to clear up, endgame equipment to hunt down, talent art books to collect, and a bunch of unique monsters in the 80/90s to hunt down.

If you do all that stuff, you'll be way overleveled for the final boss. The final boss is level
, so you won't want to be much higher than that. Beat the final boss, then reload your save file and do the optional things if you want the best experience ;)

After
Mechonis Core
, you still have
2 more dungeons to beat
; you might want to head onwards now before it becomes too easy.

My level is only in the 70's. I've done nearly every sidequest there is though there are still a few and the colony 6 stuff. :/

I wish I knew better. If I played this game over again, I would play totally differently.

If you're worried about being underleveled, you're doing fine. The
Mechonis Core
boss is level
; you shouldn't have too much trouble.

(There aren't any plot spoilers in the above post other than a location name you've already visited; the spoilers are there if you don't want to know how how much you have left.)

Not sure if anybody around here tracks the data, but the image below shows the reported data for the game over the last year:
Xenoblade+Chronicles+Wii+official+Nintendo+Channel+data+report.jpg

I just posted up the full data report on it last night, here.

Niraj

Made a lot of progress today. Started at (late-game spoilers):
Central Factory and made my way through Bionis' Interior and stopped at Prison Island and warped out. Bionis' Interior boss was awful the first time because I took Shulk, Reyn, and Dunban lol. Second time with Melia, Riki, and Sharla was much easier, but the size of the boss combined with the camera still made it more of a pain than it should have been.

I was wondering if you guys had a suggestion for a good place to level up. The quests I can get now require fighting dudes that are way higher than me (I'm about level 75-76 with everyone). I starting fighting the Gogols on Bionis' Leg, but was wondering whether there was a more efficient spot. Also, out of curiosity, is it possible to steal and item with Riki and run away to keep it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much all the quests you'll find now are "post-game."

That's one of the only places with enemies around your level, along with the story area you're currently at. Once you get closer to 80 a lot more options open up. Like the marsh at night, along with the Gogols by the shrine.

Maybe Colony 9, there are some enemies in the 70s if you go to one of the shores, but I don't remember exactly what level they are.

Niraj

Pretty much all the quests you'll find now are "post-game."

That's one of the only places with enemies around your level, along with the story area you're currently at. Once you get closer to 80 a lot more options open up. Like the marsh at night, along with the Gogols by the shrine.

Maybe Colony 9, there are some enemies in the 70s if you go to one of the shores, but I don't remember exactly what level they are.

Ah ok. Maybe I'd be better off finishing the game first and then messing around with all that then. Thanks!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just remember to keep a save at the point of no return, if you save after beating the final boss you have to start a new game(/+). The game makes the point of no return plenty obvious, it might as well have neon flashing signs.

Niraj

Just remember to keep a save at the point of no return, if you save after beating the final boss you have to start a new game(/+). The game makes the point of no return plenty obvious, it might as well have neon flashing signs.

lol alright, thanks for the warning.

JaseMath

Is high affinity required to
recruit some High Entia to Colony 6?
I just want to be done with this game,
but I have to complete the Replica Monado 4.

Log4Girlz

Why are there two active OTs?

Anyhoo, man finally beat the game. I should have really read up on everything real well, because I played very inefficiently (didn't realize that changing skill trees didn't make the skills inactive, it just allowed you to learn more of them. So I was like in my 60's before messing with that :/)

The ending was real neat. Though, like umm some stuff didn't make sense
how am I walking in space?

Overall, the game is seriously overrated though still a great experience. This game just has to be played using a FAQ to get the most out of it. Different NPC's being available only during certain times, the requirement to talk to people multiple times to reveal quests (and speaking to everyone in a town will reveal quests, had so much "fun" exploring an area, changing the time, exploring again so that I could meet and talk to everyone) and fucking hell, I did a fucking SHIT TON of sidequests, I had next to none unfinished in the end and yet my affinity with any given town was still garbage. :/

JaseMath

Different characters have different requirements. There's a list here.

Thanks - that's extremely helpful. In my initial playthrough, I kind of avoided quests, so I
started rebuilding Colony 6 from level 1. Everything is at level 5 right now, I just need to find all of the immigrants. I actually found every High Entia...I just didn't realize I could recruit other races.
Anyway, thanks again for the link.

Log4Girlz

I love RPG logic so there are level 100 creatures around the world that would hand me my rear end...just cannot beat them
But can I kill the god who created the world? Sure why not
LOL

so, at least 15,200 sold in the united states.

Or, played the game at the very least. Some might have been rented (through like GameFly), and others reported might have been borrowed, but that's a good minimum starting place for sure.
I'm not sure if NOA ever released sales figures for it...

Niraj

Well, I just finished the main story. I think I enjoyed the buildup to the end better than the end itself. Great game though, absolutely loved it. Probably has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Gameplay overall was pretty solid, though the AI for your party kind of sucked. Characterization could have been stronger, but I generally liked all the characters (there were some great ones, Dunban, Riki, etc) and the story was engaging enough (though again, didn't really care for the end so much). Was kind of bummed that
Melia gets the short end of the stick, I liked her better than Fiora :p

Not sure whether I'll do any of the post game stuff. I might come back to it some other time, but, for now, I'm ready to put it aside and play some other stuff. But really though, great, great experience. I'm kind of kicking myself for putting off playing it for a year.

Kenka

I love RPG logic so there are level 100 creatures around the world that would hand me my rear end...just cannot beat them
But can I kill the god who created the world? Sure why not
LOL
The final boss is an arrogant shit and a sufficient prick who got beaten badly deservedly. Never underestimate anyone going by the name "Shulk".

I am pretty sure his level is close to 50'000 but he is so unable to digest the truth about Shulk's visions that he forgets to ramp up his strength enough to wipe the team. Absolutely dreadful.

JulianImp

The final boss is an arrogant shit and a sufficient prick who got beaten badly deservedly. Never underestimate anyone going by the name "Shulk".

I am pretty sure his level is close to 50'000 but he is so unable to digest the truth about Shulk's visions that he forgets to ramp up his strength enough to wipe the team. Absolutely dreadful.

It makes quite a bit of sense. The big bad takes the good old trope of having pride getting in the way of comprehending what they were up against to its logical conclusion (ending spoilers):
he destroyed and re-created the universe with the push of a button on a whim, and was reborn as a god. It's just that he was so full of himself he didn't even pay attention to the fact that Shulk and Fiora existed outside of the normal flow of fate (at least that's what I think some characters such as Alvis said). Believing nobody would betray him (mostly Alvis, unless he didn't know ho he truly was) was a more cliched mistake, though.

Korosenai

I'm about to start playing this game again. Last time I posted in this thread (which was the last day I played the game) was last June. I'm also 60 hours in. Damn this is gonna suck, hopefully I still remember what's happening.

Two questions.

1) Is there an easy to boost affinity amongst the party? I've already gone through my collectables and gifted as many as possible

2) Regarding Seven (of nine); any tips on how gem her? Is it essentially haste, double attack, agility, and spike defense or debuff resist (if i ever find the drops for this) as a dps/tank?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
1) Is there an easy to boost affinity amongst the party? I've already gone through my collectables and gifted as many as possible

You can cheese it on enemies with certain spike effects like topple and sleep. There's a level 87 unique kromer with a sleep spike, so if you can survive that enemy easily enough you can use it and just keep assisting your AI partners as they fall asleep from attacking it. Gains affinity each time.

2) Regarding Seven (of nine); any tips on how gem her? Is it essentially haste, double attack, agility, and spike defense or debuff resist (if i ever find the drops for this) as a dps/tank?

I'd put haste and agility on everyone, especially agility. And preferably get haste in an armor slot with glory gauntlets or a
speed frame
. Double attack works well with that character, especially if you link up Critical Drain from Dunban. You can also combo HP Steal with that for some crazy damage absorbing. And Aura Heal if you just want things to get silly.

Edgeward

40 hours in and just discovering giving gifts and finally understanding how to craft gems correctly. So many things in this game.

You can cheese it on enemies with certain spike effects like topple and sleep. There's a level 87 unique kromer with a sleep spike, so if you can survive that enemy easily enough you can use it and just keep assisting your AI partners as they fall asleep from attacking it. Gains affinity each time.

I'd put haste and agility on everyone, especially agility. And preferably get haste in an armor slot with glory gauntlets or a
speed frame
. Double attack works well with that character, especially if you link up Critical Drain from Dunban. You can also combo HP Steal with that for some crazy damage absorbing. And Aura Heal if you just want things to get silly.
Ah sweet.
I'll keep an eye out for that Kromer after I hit mid-late 80s.

My biggest dilemma was that i start skill linking anything was useful in the beginning of the game. Now after unlocking the extra trees, i don't have enough affinity coins to link all those awesome skills :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Unique monsters give affinity coins, but 33 of them are missable. That still leaves 223 coins (124 non-missable UMs + 99 levels) even if you skipped every one of them. Plenty to play around with some of the more expensive skills, but maybe not several at once.

Top Bottom