• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

frequency

heya fellas, i was thinking of getting either this, last story, or the... other one i forgot the name :p

so i was wonder if you guys can educate me :

i value story (- character development, presentation, fluidity)
then art, overall presentation
then gameplay.

which game is right for me? :/

note that i cannot stand horrid voice acting or fractured story.

little help ? :)

The other one is Tower of Pandora/Pandora's Tower (パンドラの塔, however you choose to translate it).

I'm pretty sure everyone will tell you Xenoblade - especially in the OT for the game.
I'm still playing through Tower of Pandora, so I can't say for sure. But I might be enjoying it more than Xenoblade right now. I think I just like Ende and Seres a lot. I feel it's just the more focused game.

It doesn't really compare in terms of scope to Xenoblade though.
Last Story is the worst of the three to me.

Of course, I'm biased. As my Seres avatar probably suggests.
It makes me sad that Tower of Pandora is just "the other game" to most people. If nothing else, it's definitely way better than Last Story.

Zekes!

I'm really enjoying this game right now and I've barely even scratched the surface. Shulk's a pretty good JRPG protagonist so far

Got my copy & artbook today. Probably won't be playing for a while since I'm currently playing Tales of Graces f, but I'm looking forward to it. :D

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Starting to get the hang of the combat... although i got beated pretty hard twice on that big monster who was hiding underground in that cave near the beginning not so far from the first city, after you get a party of 3. Is there any way to pull a monster away from others without having the AI charge right at the beginning?

Antagon

If you press up or down when you have the attack button selected you get a lure option. That makes an enemy charge you.

Tess3ract

Banned
You can also tell your party members "attack this guy only!" or "come back to me"

Also enemies have cones of vision. if you don't run, you can pick up the baby worms and the monster wont give a shit. Then you can attack the big guy on his own.

Muskweeto

Picking up my preorder in the morning and I have the whole day free to play.

IaprL.gif

nan0

If you press up or down when you have the attack button selected you get a lure option. That makes an enemy charge you.

...as long as he is not aware of other monsters right next to him. If he has 2x3 dots below his name tag, he will call monsters of the same kind in direct proximity to aid him.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
LES NOT LOSE OUR HEADS THOUGH!

What's the word on converting EU save to NA? Just curious if I should even bother opening up my NA version when I pick it up this afternoon.

Man I was playing all last weekend (PAL vers) and thinking to myself how much you guys are gonna be loving this. Really excited for all the newcomers. Prepare to be fucking dazzled. I wish I was playing again and discovering it for the first time!

I picked up the game today, and the art book is pretty nice. It's not hardcover or anything like that, but it's a pretty nice quality.

I am excited to play the game, although this is a quite the busy weekend. :/

Not to bitch more about Gamestop, but the one employee mentioned The Last Story and asked if I was getting it. He then proceeded to tell me that Hideo Kojima worked on the game and that Tetsuya Nomura was doing the concept art. I don't think he realized that the game already came out in Japan. I told him that it's Hironobu Sakaguchi who worked on the game, the creator of Final Fantasy. He shook his head no and looked at me like I was stupid.

I picked up the game today, and the art book is pretty nice. It's not hardcover or anything like that, but it's a pretty nice quality.

I am excited to play the game, although this is a quite the busy weekend. :/

Not to bitch more about Gamestop, but the one employee mentioned The Last Story and asked if I was getting it. He then proceeded to tell me that Hideo Kojima worked on the game and that Tetsuya Nomura was doing the concept art. I don't think he realized that the game already came out in Japan. I told him that it's Hironobu Sakaguchi who worked on the game, the creator of Final Fantasy. He shook his head no and looked at me like I was stupid.

You should have made a bet with him.

I just picked up the game does anybody have Dolphin settings that work well and don't have the audio cut out during cut scenes?

So ... I run a locally owned video game chain in South Louisiana and we're getting Xenoblade Chronicles in today. As our buyer, I scour price lists on a daily basis looking to buy restocks for my stores, and Xenoblade was on one of my vendor's price lists this week, much to my chagrin.

Has anyone heard reports of any other non-Gamestop stores getting Xenoblade in today? Maybe Video Games New York?

Here's a snippet from my invoice.

invoice.jpg

Got my copy and an artbook, and can finally answer this:

Any spoilers in the Gamestop artbook?

The artbook is basically most of the artwork in the OP with a dash of text for each picture. There are no major story spoilers, but if you want to be completely and totally in the dark when it comes to the game's locales, it might be best to shelve the book for a while.

oh hello PS1-era Square. missed you

any tips on selling stuff? I like to make sure that I know what I'm doing when starting a new RPG so that it doesn't bite me in the ass later on.

LES NOT LOSE OUR HEADS THOUGH!

What's the word on converting EU save to NA? Just curious if I should even bother opening up my NA version when I pick it up this afternoon.
I've not checked the thread but the method of someone needs to use is basically: use a homebrew save extractor (this is important as we need the directories without encryption) on both saves (so you need to run the US Xenoblade and have it make a save). The copy over some files in the EU save directory overwriting files of the same name in the US save directory (if someone gives me a directory listing and I see the post I could stab a guess at which files are the adventure logs; which is all we want at the end). Load it back on the Wii and it should work (at least someone did that for the Japanese version, I think they mention their adventure log being over 200 hours meaning the 99:59 glitch was displaying, not storage.

The directory names are the title ID in hexidecimal. IIRC the one ending on 45 will be the US one and 50 (hex for P as in PAL) will be the European one.

any tips on selling stuff? I like to make sure that I know what I'm doing when starting a new RPG so that it doesn't bite me in the ass later on.
When your inventory gets full, then start to worry (items of use in quests are marked IIRC, so are common and rare), I generally sell least valuable stuff first. Money is of little importance, Art (techniques) books (don't forget these) and very occasionally, other things are all you spend it on (its a judgement call to make at the time, this armour might have better stats but no slots, will I find the same or better one in 5 minutes time).

With gems (and material for making). Sell level 1 when you start to find level 3 and follow a similar sequence for higher levels.

Early impressions: the combat is interesting to me, the game could benefit from being in HD greatly, and the Japanese voices are pretty good. Music is also great so far.

Being able to save almost anywhere is pretty sweet. The fact your health restores after every battle is very nice. The camera control variety, with an ability to zoom in and out and move in the analog directions is great. This game seems to do everything I want to see done from an RPG, which is kind of awesome.

I was thinking after playing Skyward Sword and Persona 4, that it would be fine. However, I think a game of such detail needs to be in HD. I'm sure I will get over it soon!

Firemind

oh hello PS1-era Square. missed you

You don't have to sell anything until your inventory is maxed, which is undoubtedly going to be the materials. If that should happen, sort the materials on price and sell the ones with a small bag icon that's last on the value list. The icon indicates they're common drops. The big bag icons indicate rarer drops. Sell off lower level gems as they're always outclassed by higher level gems due to how crafting works.

Kinda pissed off at Gamestop. I just picked up my preorder 20 minutes ago, I get home and I notice that the game isn't shrink wrapped. I open the case and don't see the disc, it's inside a fucking paper sleeve hidden inside the manual, Wtf.

Bisnic

I must have spent 5 hours yesterday just doing quests around the first town, before i finally had nothing else to do than entering the cave to the west.

Is it normal that all i find are weapons for Reyn? I think i found like 7 of them, while i got 1 new weapon for Fiora and 0 for Shulk.

I must have spent 5 hours yesterday just doing quests around the first town, before i finally had nothing else to do than entering the cave to the west.

Is it normal that all i find are weapons for Reyn? I think i found like 7 of them, while i got 1 new weapon for Fiora and 0 for Shulk.

Yes, it's normal. Weapon drops will get more varied eventually.

Keep playing.

Wichu

At the beginning of the game, that's just what happens.
There's a reason for it - just keep playing!

Kinda pissed off at Gamestop. I just picked up my preorder 20 minutes ago, I get home and I notice that the game isn't shrink wrapped. I open the case and don't see the disc, it's inside a fucking paper sleeve hidden inside the manual, Wtf.

You didnt check when you were at the store? Sorry to hear about that. Anyways just got home with my copy and the art book is really nice. Im really excited since I havnt played a jrpg since FFX

Got my copy and an artbook, and can finally answer this:

The artbook is basically most of the artwork in the OP with a dash of text for each picture. There are no major story spoilers, but if you want to be completely and totally in the dark when it comes to the game's locales, it might be best to shelve the book for a while.

Cool, I'll probably end up doing that. Thanks for the heads up, mate!

Bisnic

At the beginning of the game, that's just what happens.
There's a reason for it - just keep playing!

Yeah, i think i already know why he's still stuck with the starter sword...he'll get the Monado eventually...i suppose soon.

Foofaraw

Gamestop opened at 10, and I picked up the game. I have to work from 12 to 8:30 and then stop by my boss's birthday party. Welp, at least I got to see the first hour and a half of the game.

This weekend will likely be fueled by a mountain of energy drinks and this game.

Sallokin

Just got back from GS with my copy+art book. I had already gotten the EU release, but any excuse to play through this game again is a good one :)

I'm really excited to see what everyone thinks of the game.

No one answered me before about the screen going black for a sec when I fought an enemy, is it a loading thing, considering obviously how much it has to load around it? As said, someone at GameFAQs experienced the same thing, so it's not a defect?

Firemind

No one answered me before about the screen going black for a sec when I fought an enemy, is it a loading thing, considering obviously how much it has to load around it? As said, someone at GameFAQs experienced the same thing, so it's not a defect?

That shouldn't happen. Are you playing it on the Wii or PC?

So ... I run a locally owned video game chain in South Louisiana and we're getting Xenoblade Chronicles in today. As our buyer, I scour price lists on a daily basis looking to buy restocks for my stores, and Xenoblade was on one of my vendor's price lists this week, much to my chagrin.

Has anyone heard reports of any other non-Gamestop stores getting Xenoblade in today? Maybe Video Games New York?

Here's a snippet from my invoice.

invoice.jpg

gamewarez?

edit: Mall of LA amirite.

Top Bottom