• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Tunic

I picked up my reserved copy today at Gamestop about an hour after the store opened. Before leaving I was just handed the game and my receipt no art book so I asked about it. The two employees didn't know anything about it and didn't remember seeing any art books. They decided to call another local Gamestop and they got them in but not any extras, so I couldn't go and pick one up there. The employee did take my name and phone number down saying if he got them in he would call me. So bummed though...reserved it the day it was posted online for Gamestop.

Cloudy

Banned
This game is ps1-level graphics on an HDTV. Only thing I don't like so far :(

I'm tempted to go plug it in on a regular tv

Just got mine and they gave me an art book. I also got an used gold CCP for $15. It looks like new though. It must not have gotten a lot of use.

3DS camera picture
l1hpV.jpg

Same thing I had then. I found 720p was okay for about 30 minutes and 480p is never a problem. Try those resolutions and see what the monitor does with the signal but at 480p the upscaler basically does no processing, so produces no heat. My monitor was able to handle the 480p signal acceptably enough (delway might be worse than the upscaler).

I'd leave it to cool down for bit though. Makes me wonder if theres a way to resurrect the fan as I've heard the same thing happen to several people with the upscaler.

Does it ever die out due to overheating? I can always get another, but it was pricy. At this point, if needed, I should just hunt down an HDMI adapter of sorts.

... or wait for Wii U. XD

I find it interesting, that in 480p, the way the pixels look, it seems clearer upclose, and possibly even at normal view, as if the scaler adds a "filter" to smoothen the picture, like a vaseline filter of sorts. You know how when you zoom in a pic on MS Paint it's blocky? Same thing, it's as if it's showing its true pixel res, could be because monitor's are better at this than HDTVs? Dunno. I'm happy with it. :)

Seik

Banned
Isn't that what we dislike Gamestop people from doing?

No, I hate when I enter the store and then a GS guy comes at me:

GS:''Hi there, are we looking for something?''
ME: ''No I'm okay, I'm just checking everything out, thanks!''
GS: ''Oh its ok, don't hesistate if you have any questions!''
ME: ''Great! Thanks!''

At first I had no problem with that, its just part of their jobs. The problem was when the same guy came like 5 minutes after, not realizing he already saw me a few minutes before to ask the exact same things. It only happened once but this one time made me saw this guy as a robot each time I go there. :p

If a GS guy come at me and asks me if I'm interested into buying Xenoblade I'd be please! Then I'd tell him I already bought the game 3 times. Heh.

TEJ

<3 <3 <3 this game so far

the english voicework is fantastic, and I can sense that it will satisfy the lootwhore in me.

Just got it! Haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. Damn I've been craving a good console jrpg...hope this holds up. Had to buy a Wii too.

Also, I got the artbook, even though i wasn't supposed to, ha.

So far very good.

Getting a FFXII vibe. I like it!

To those who played this a lot, are there many areas to explore and does it have a ton of variety like in FFXII?

backlot

Picked up my game and got an art book despite only having preordered four days ago! The girl working there also tried to convince me to preorder Pokemon Conquest by saying it is "essentially Pokemon Gray."

clemenx

Banned
Yeah the 2nd is dolphin but the game on my TV looks closer to the 2nd one and I've never seen a pic as bad as the 1st one, he must be doing something wrong.

I can't think of a big-name ps2 rpg that looks this jaggy
16:9 being putted in 640x480 (Wii video output is a joke) is not a problem PS2 RPGs had as they were nearly always 4:3. That alone adds jaggles from single pixels representing more than 1 pixel of detail.

It looks like the first screen for me. I need to get it looking like the 2nd whether it be dolphin or just using a SDTV
I redid the first screen to make it more accurate than "I used dolphin but forgot to set the games internal resolution to anything higher than the Wii" so I made my own (as a precaution I took the 854x480 and made it to 640x480 then put it back to 854x480 in case dolphin was dumb and assumed it was the former rather than the latter):
xenojags.jpg

Not sure if that really made much difference (I did nearest neighborer* to 1080p and I see vertical scanline effect suggesting dolphin was dumb), nevermind. I also might made mistakes in the downscaling to 640x480 and back...

*-Not sure what TVs tend to use to get to their native resolution.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, are there any "need to do this at the beginning to get something cool int he end" tricks to this game, or can i just get going and explore?

So, are there any "need to do this at the beginning to get something cool int he end" tricks to this game, or can i just get going and explore?

No, you can't really miss anything. Some side quests are timed and have to be finished before you reach a certain point in the story, but those are marked with a clock icon.

Levyne

Banned
I think there are some of the "blue orb" items in some later areas that I think are missable for filling out the collector book thing, but no must have rewards there.

Cloudy

Banned
Do you have your Wii output set to HDTV? Maybe your TV is just really bad at upscaling 480p images. I'm using the cheapest component cable I could find and it looks a thousand times better than that first screen.

I do. I guess what I'm saying is that mine looks closer to the first screen than the 2nd lol

Cloudy

Banned
16:9 being putted in 640x480 (Wii video output is a joke) is not a problem PS2 RPGs had as they were nearly always 4:3. That alone adds jaggles from single pixels representing more than 1 pixel of detail.

So what is the best possible display for someone with HD and component cables? Would switching to 4:3 help? Or should I go the SDTV route lol. I'm sure I'll get used to it but I'd like to enjoy the game with the best possible graphics

PS: I have a 32 inch 720p westinghouse and a 42 inch 1080p vizio. On the 32 inch right now

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I think there are some of the "blue orb" items in some later areas that I think are missable for filling out the collector book thing, but no must have rewards there.

I don't even think the blue orb items are missable, as it is possible to trade for pretty much all of them, and they can also be made to spawn in a certain other location as a result of a certain major side objective.

Really the only things you have to be concerned about are the quests marked with timers in the quest log. Everything else has is pretty much safe for the whole game. The game will also usually give you warning that quests will expire by asking you to confirm if you really want to make a particular decision or not.

Also...

jRjz9.jpg

This will go on my shelf right next to my EU Red CC Pro Xenoblade LE, only I think I'm going to leave the US copy sealed. The other copy is for my sister.

They seemed to be selling pretty well. They had to open a new batch of copies for me, and the guy at Gamestop said they were moving decently well. Good, good.

Fuck. I wasn't going to get this right now because I wanted to start/finish Deus Ex: Human Revolution before starting The Witcher 2 on 360. Then I watched the GB quick look. Huge non-linear world with FF12/MMO style combat? Fuck!

Drove to GameStop and there were no non-preorder copies available. Then the clerk offered to sell me his since he didn't plan on taking it home for a few weeks anyway.

So sorry, Deus Ex...

Zekes!

Anyone else been playing with the Wiimote + nunchuck setup? I might try the CCPro, but I'm liking the Wiimote just fine

flyover

Went into my Gamestop in the Chicago suburbs and got a copy. They'd started with nine non-preorders and were down to four (after my purchase). Good sign!

Wii question. I've only ever used my Wii for Homebrew (EU Xenoblade and Last Story). Now, upon putting in the NA Xenoblade disc, the Wii wants me to update its OS software, but it says that it "may detect and remove unauthorized content causing... inoperability of your console." Anything to worry about? Should I just not update (and launch with Gecko, like the EU version), or should I update and not sweat it?

Posted this in the Euro XC OT board but...

I was just rereading the thread for the first 60 or so pages. RPGcrazied's waiting game fiasco is the kind of thing legends are made of. It's probably one of the better reads I've had the pleasure of experiencing over the past year or two. 5 out of 5.

ivysaur12

Banned

I was just rereading the thread for the first 60 or so pages. RPGcrazied's waiting game fiasco is the kind of thing legends are made of. It's probably one of the better reads I've had the pleasure of experiencing over the past year or two. 5 out of 5.

It was pretty incredible.

Aeana

I think he'll have a hard time living that down.

Top Bottom