• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Well thats that.

My Wii officially doesn't work with dual layered discs anymore even after continously trying to clean it with the Wii Cleaning Kit. Someone pmed me with a way to take out the disc drive and clean it but I don't wanna risk that amd I don't wanna have to send the Wii to Nintendo and I don't wanna buy a new Wii...

So I guess I won't be able to play this game until the Wii U comes out :/ I was really looking forward to it to. Oh well...I really would rather spend this $50 on something else if I can't play it until the end ofthe year but I'm afraid it won't sell that long so I guess I'll pay $50 to stare at it :(

Maybe, just maybe, there won't be japanese voices in the american version that way it'll be single layered. I hope thats the case. I actually hope for once NOA didn't do something (lol...I'm grasping at straws)

I know that GS will probably still be selling them at the end of the year to...but I aint taking chances...also my poor 150 hour+ Brawl save :( :(

FUCKING DIRT.

Edit: Actually it does work but only for like 6-12 hours at a time. I'm gonna run out've cloths fast...

Darryl

Banned
called and cancelled my order @ nintendo.com, just gonna swing by gamestop later and purchase it. i hate buying stuff at that store, but nintendo.com's ability to process game orders is questionable.

ivysaur12

Banned
As I was leaving GameStop I saw another person come in and ask for it.

IT'S A MEGAHIT, JRPGs ARE SAVED

tumblr_lvwazstrZB1qa2szuo4_250.gif

Wiseblade

BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE
AGAINST THE ODDS
WE CHOOSE TO FIGHT
BLOSSOM DANCE!

My world of advice to LTTP Americans is to take your time going through things. Feel free to deal with sidequests at your leisure, they're not going anywhere.

jluedtke

Tracking my order through Nintendo.com is like some sort of cruel game. Starting out at store.nintendo.com, I click "Order Status". That takes me to "support.nintendo.com". On that page, there's nothing that allows me to track my order. Closest thing is "Online Store". I click that and it takes me back to store.nintendo.com.

Soooo...I go to my confirmation email and click on the link to track my order. What happens? Page Not Found.

Aces, Nintendo. Just aces...

EDIT: Apparently you enter your order number in the "Part Order Information" space. Very intuitive...

Wii. I'm playing it with the VDigi upscaler. But this didn't happen with the current 1080i setting with any other game. Or maybe it happened once, I forget.
The upscaler has overheated/overheating (it worse for me as my monitor takes about 10 seconds to find the signal again).

Switch to 480p (unless your TV/monitor is dreadful at upscaling). I found that was the only way to make it stop but lower resolutions made it happen less.

At least thats how its been since I owned the upscaler.

Hiltz

Well thats that.

My Wii officially doesn't work with dual layered discs anymore even after continously trying to clean it with the Wii Cleaning Kit. Someone pmed me with a way to take out the disc drive and clean it but I don't wanna risk that amd I don't wanna have to send the Wii to Nintendo and I don't wanna buy a new Wii...

So I guess I won't be able to play this game until the Wii U comes out :/ I was really looking forward to it to. Oh well...I really would rather spend this $50 on something else if I can't play it until the end ofthe year but I'm afraid it won't sell that long so I guess I'll pay $50 to stare at it :(

Maybe, just maybe, there won't be japanese voices in the american version that way it'll be single layered. I hope thats the case. I actually hope for once NOA didn't do something (lol...I'm grasping at straws)

I know that GS will probably still be selling them at the end of the year to...but I aint taking chances...also my poor 150 hour+ Brawl save :( :(

FUCKING DIRT.

Edit: Actually it does work but only for like 6-12 hours at a time. I'm gonna run out've cloths fast...

I would just get it fixed. Sent it in to Nintendo even though it may cost something like $75- 100 to fix it. At least the warranty will last a year. You could also send it to a third-party like Console Zombie for about $50 or more depending on how much it charges to replace the compontent (assuming they even carry the part you need). Although, given my experience with that company, I wasn't completely satisfied by their service given how my Wii continued to make loud noises after being fixed twice.Their warranty lasts 45 days by the way.

Anyone have anecdotal evidence about how it's selling that I can extrapolate over the country at large?

My GameStop got 4 extra copies beyond pre-orders, I apparently pre-ordered after the first wave of pre-orders so I did not receive an artbook, and the person in line behind me was also picking up a copy.

I would just get it fixed. Sent it in to Nintendo even though it may cost something like $75- 100 to fix it. At least the warranty will last a year. You could also send it to a third-party like Console Zombie for about $50 or more depending on how much it charges to replace the compontent (assuming they even carry the part you need). Although, given my experience with that company, I wasn't completely satisfied by their service given how my Wii continued to make loud noises after being fixed twice.Their warranty lasts 45 days by the way.

Yea I got my Wii at midnight launch day so I deffiantly have to pay for Nintendo to fix it. Its just not worth it just for Xenoblade and Brawl to work when they'll work when the Wii U comes out.

I barely have any money for the next few months. I won't spend what I have on making my Wii to play two games. Oh well, I may just go crazy with the cleaning kit and continously try to clean it for like 20 minutes straight or something lol. Tho I already used it to much once when it temporarly stopped playing all discs due to cleaning kit overload...whatever. I'm fine with waiting.

ivysaur12

Banned
My GameStop got 4 extra copies beyond pre-orders, I apparently pre-ordered after the first wave of pre-orders so I did not receive an artbook, and the person in line behind me was also picking up a copy.

So you're saying it sold 200,000 copies in its first day, Soraya Saga and Takahashi took the streets of Kyoto on boobed-Mechas spouting Gnostic proverbs, and Reggie cried out to the heavens "I hath forsaken thee, MonolithSoft!" ?!?!

k good.

Zornica

Banned
Yea I got my Wii at midnight launch day so I deffiantly have to pay for Nintendo to fix it. Its just not worth it just for Xenoblade and Brawl to work when they'll work when the Wii U comes out.

I barely have any money for the next few months. I won't spend what I have on making my Wii to play two games. Oh well, I may just go crazy with the cleaning kit and continously try to clean it for like 20 minutes straight or something lol. Tho I already used it to much once when it temporarly stopped playing all discs due to cleaning kit overload...whatever. I'm fine with waiting.

if you've got a harddrive and a sd card lying around, you could homebrew your wii and rip the game to your harddrive, playing it with an usb loader. It's probably your best option if you want to play the game without having to repair your wii.

Keikoku

Banned
I have this game since its european release even though I don't have a Wii. I was hoping to run it on Dolphin but I've never managed to run it well : it's slow and I have audio bugs. Maybe my rig is just too old (E8800 3.0ghz/HD4890/4gigs of memory on Win 7 x64). Should I play it on the Wii ? I heard it looks bad on an HD screen, but I have some other games to catch up on that system so I wouldn't risk anything buying one. Or maybe I should just wait for the Wii U...

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Bought another coy with my preorder. Seemed like mine in Austin TX had about 8 copies, and I got there right at open.

Aeana

I kind of want to do a replay with all of the new players. My NA copy shipped from GS this morning, but I think I'll keep it sealed and just play the European version again.

My GS had 16 copies, 12 preorders, and 9 art books. They're expecting another 4 copies in the near future.

Fortunately I was the very last person on the list to receive an art book.

-NeoTB1-

Bought another coy with my preorder. Seemed like mine in Austin TX had about 8 copies, and I got there right at open.

I'm about an hour north of Austin and my local store had a dozen copies. This was an hour ago, so I'm not sure how many (if any) they had and sold before I got there.

Almost 3 hours in. Did many quests in C9. Gonna progress the story now. Accidentally discarded an awesome weapon I got early on. Oops. Dunno if Shulk could use it anyway. Level 7 right now. Game is awesome.

The upscaler has overheated/overheating (it worse for me as my monitor takes about 10 seconds to find the signal again).

Switch to 480p (unless your TV/monitor is dreadful at upscaling). I found that was the only way to make it stop but lower resolutions made it happen less.

At least thats how its been since I owned the upscaler.

I know it was clunking out at 1080p a lot. And the thing definitely feels really hot at times.

I'm using a monitor.

I kind of want to do a replay with all of the new players. My NA copy shipped from GS this morning, but I think I'll keep it sealed and just play the European version again.

I just played the first hour of the NA copy. I'm already noticing things I missed my first time around—and I did nearly every quest and did all of the optional stuff with the PAL version.

My goal this time around is to use Shulk/
Melia
as little as possible.

Picked up my copy today. My GameStop didn't receive a single artbook. Oh well, not a big deal to me. Just stoked to finally be able too see what everyone is talking about.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm still a bit unsure about how stats work in the game, the manual doesnt really tell me what Agility, Strength or Ether does, and the game doesnt say anything either. Is agility something for fast but weak characters like Fiora? If i find an item that have more agility but less physical defense, should i give to her or something? Just how good is +2 agility compared to losing 10 physical defense? I also assumed that strength would improve my auto-attack damage, but i actually got a weapon that improve my strength but lower my damage... so im confused.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Should I be hoarding everything? It seems like all items except for old weapons and armor could be used later.

Aeana

I just played the first hour of the NA copy. I'm already noticing things I missed my first time around—and I did nearly every quest and did all of the optional stuff with the PAL version.

My goal this time around is to use Shulk/
Melia
as little as possible.

I actually just said something similar to some friends.

<Aeana> I'll try to do something different this time through XB.
<Aeana> I think I'll try to use Shulk as little as possible.

I didn't use the other character you mentioned hardly at all though, since she didn't fit very well with Shulk and Reyn for me.

I'm still a bit unsure about how stats work in the game, the manual doesnt really tell me what Agility, Strength or Ether does, and the game doesnt say anything either. Is agility something for fast but weak characters like Fiora? If i find an item that have more agility but less physical defense, should i give to her or something? Just how good is +2 agility compared to losing 10 physical defense? I also assumed that strength would improve my auto-attack damage, but i actually got a weapon that improve my strength but lower my damage... so im confused.

Agility affects the rate at which you dodge attacks and hit the enemy, so it's one of the most important stats in the game. Strength affects attack, and Ether affects magic attack/defense. Are you sure you're hitting the same enemies with the added Strength? There's also a random element to damage dealt, so it can seem weaker, especially at lower levels when it's more difficult to tell consistent damage rates.

Generally, you want to outfit your characters with stats that enhance their natural attributes, rather than try to cover for deficiencies. So prioritizing defensive gear is good for Reyn, offensive for Shulk, etc. Agility is always good for every character.

Whats the best camera settings? I feel like I'm fighting with the camera as it keeps trying to reorient behind my character.
Make sure the camera settings are set to their fastest speed for the X and Y axes. You can't really disable the auto camera, so your only option is to make manual control as smooth as possible.

Should I be hoarding everything? It seems like all items except for old weapons and armor could be used later.
Your inventory is huge, and you shouldn't need to sell much of anything until later in the game. If you want to spend money at the shops (and you should buy Art manuals), sell whatever resource you have a ton of, or old weapons.

I know it was clunking out at 1080p a lot. And the thing definitely feels really hot at times.

I'm using a monitor.
Same thing I had then. I found 720p was okay for about 30 minutes and 480p is never a problem. Try those resolutions and see what the monitor does with the signal but at 480p the upscaler basically does no processing, so produces no heat. My monitor was able to handle the 480p signal acceptably enough (delway might be worse than the upscaler).

I'd leave it to cool down for bit though. Makes me wonder if theres a way to resurrect the fan as I've heard the same thing happen to several people with the upscaler.

Whats the best camera settings? I feel like I'm fighting with the camera as it keeps trying to reorient behind my character.
I remember doing something, I think it was increasing the speed speed. Also thats why I prefer using the CC Pro.

Some of them do for some sidequests. Just sell low value or common ones when you run out of space (ones in active quests have red or white ! on them, cross denotes rarer). Remember to register collectibles in the collectopedia

corn_fest

Wait, this is a dual layer disc? Hmm, I suppose that was to be expected. My Wii has been having trouble playing Brawl, hopefully it's just the disc and not the drive. If it comes down to it I guess I'll just install homebrew on it :/

Aeana

Wait, this is a dual layer disc? Hmm, I suppose that was to be expected. My Wii has been having trouble playing Brawl, hopefully it's just the disc and not the drive. If it comes down to it I guess I'll just install homebrew on it :/

That's what you should do anyway!

thomaser

Agility: the most important stat in the game. With high agility, you can hit enemies more reliably, and enemies can miss you easier. This can make or break many a tough fight. I'd prioritize agility over defense for most characters.

Strength: strength + weapon damage = total damage you deal. The weapon you found probably had low weapon damage.

Ether: with higher ether, your magic (purple) attacks will do more damage, and healing arts will heal you better.

Brannon

I must have spent 5 hours yesterday just doing quests around the first town, before i finally had nothing else to do than entering the cave to the west.

Is it normal that all i find are weapons for Reyn? I think i found like 7 of them, while i got 1 new weapon for Fiora and 0 for Shulk.

Yes, because it's always Reyn time!

MrFortyFive

Picked up mine this morning. I don't really want to start it until I finish Tales of Graces, but I'm excited. Of the 4 Gamestops close to my house, the one I frequent is the most popular. He said that they had "not many" preorders. Luckily I was one of the last to preorder that got an art book.

GringoJB

I hope i get an art book. I won't be able to get to gamestop until after 4pm

Me too... I'm going to bust ass out of work at 4:30 on the dot and try to get to GS in time...

Is there fine print somewhere that says something about maybe not getting the preorder bonus that might have motivated your preorder in the first place? If not, that's kind of shitty to say the least...

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
walked into the gamestop in the Tuscaloosa Mall, and bought a copy.

Take that, Preorder People

Top Bottom