• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Aeana

So what's the final verdict gents? CCPro or Wagglemote? I've never actually used my CCPro (still in its anti-static wrap lol) so that is certainly tempting, but seeing Klepeck effortlessly sorting through the special abilities while he was running looks pretty darn nice. Is there a general consensus?

It's something you're just going to have to try for yourself. Both methods have drawbacks, so it's a matter of comfort and about how important easier camera control vs. easier ability selection is to you.

The opening and the music at the end of the opening is so epic. I know I'm going to love Xenoblade just by the first 15 minutes I got to play so far. Time to dig in some more.

All the items I pick up, sell them? Some of them say things like "can be used as armor" so I'm not sure if I should be getting rid of stuff like that

Was just about the post the same question! I've been holding on to most of my stuff, but will sell when/if we get a definitive answer.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Couple hours in, on a game I paid 0.0000001% of the time ever knowing of it.

Early review: pretttty pretttty pretttty good

It's something you're just going to have to try for yourself. Both methods have drawbacks, so it's a matter of comfort and about how important easier camera control vs. easier ability selection is to you.

Alright. Firing it up now. I literally just blew a layer of dust off of my Wii.

Fucking hype!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Brawl solution works.....

I am so damn confused... is it the disc? Is it the Wii? I can't seem to understand why this works.

Alright. Firing it up now. I literally just blew a layer of dust off of my Wii.

Fucking hype!

I am very well enjoying the game..... while I can play it

Junie12

Whoa, I just Marathon this game and so far I already logged in 16 hours into the game. So far I'm loving it! The battles system is a breeze and I love the exploration of this game, I just couldn't stop doing side quests because I was obsessed with getting the best equipment for my party.

I was kind of let down with the story so far because right now it's just a revenge plot, but man did this game had an awesome intro! And the music, oh my god the music! I need the OST for this game! It's amazing so far and it really adds to my enjoyment of the game. Right now I'm in
Bionic Legs and I'm gonna rescue Juju and I just met another faced mechon, man that mechon has a badass voice!

I'm taking a break from the game now since I couldn't stop playing it all day, it's so goddamn addicting @_@

Ahhhh this game is so good. MonolithSoft is still amazing.

Why NoA ever doubted them is beyond me. If this game sells well enough, I hope they'd at least consider releasing Disaster over here at budget price or something. FFS, the English has been done twice.

Nightz

I think this is the first time that I've regretted selling my Wii. If I download Dolphin and buy the game, will I have everything I need to play it? Would it work with a 360 pad?

Bagu

Ahhhh this game is so good. MonolithSoft is still amazing.

Why NoA ever doubted them is beyond me. If this game sells well enough, I hope they'd at least consider releasing Disaster over here at budget price or something. FFS, the English has been done twice.

NoA never doubted Monolith, they doubted the fanbase's willingness to buy the game.

Picked up the game. Cleaning my room atm (I always clean my room before diving into a new game), and this game was packaged very well. Nice, fully colored instruction manual, reversible cover. Quite nice. I can't wait to jump into it.

Going to Gamestop suuuucked. I preordered it, brought my receipt. That went fine. But there was one guy in front of me and the cashier literally spent over 10 minutes telling him about DLC he can buy for his purchase and signing him up for shit.

Yeah this is the first game I've bought for my Wii since November 2010 aside from Skyward Sword. Kind of a bummer now that I think about it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Holy shit at unique enemies! (or whatever they're called.)

Yeah that's what I love about this game. Seeing an awesomely big enemy that's like 10 levels above you, and just being like "YEAH, I'M GONNA COME BACK FOR YOU LATER, BITCH."

... and then, coming back later!

LES NOT LOSE OUR HEADS DOUGH!

joetachi

Yeah that's what I love about this game. Seeing an awesomely big enemy that's like 10 levels above you, and just being like "YEAH, I'M GONNA COME BACK FOR YOU LATER, BITCH."

One of the best parts about this game is this.

Ultratech

Was just about the post the same question! I've been holding on to most of my stuff, but will sell when/if we get a definitive answer.

For the most part, you can just sell off common drops. Or you can use them for Affinity with party members. You should probably hold on to rare drops though (i.e. rare items from Silver/Gold chests).

Most of the time, the game will usually tell you if x item is used in a quest. But it's no big loss no matter what you do. If you're really paranoid, just sell off a bunch of an item, but keep a few around.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I do have to give Treehouse or whoever did the localization credit. The characters talk like normal people and not anime characters.

Spoo

So I don't screw myself: What is safe to sell, and what is not? I have no idea if there's a crafting system and I need to be hording shit.

ivysaur12

Banned

When their name goes from red to yellow, it's like... GAME ON.

Firemind

So I don't screw myself: What is safe to sell, and what is not? I have no idea if there's a crafting system and I need to be hording shit.

Low quality and common materials like bunny meat or ant legs or whatever. They're denoted by a small bag icon.

Low quality gems. Lvl. 1 and 2 gems are generally not worth crafting.

Duplicate weapons and armour.

Keep collectibles and use them in the collectopedia to receive rewards.

Keep items with exclamation marks. White denotes current quests. Orange denotes future quests.

Ultratech

When their name goes from red to yellow, it's like... GAME ON.

Yeah. It's an amazing pain in the ass to attempt to kill enemies in red. Lots of MISS and ineffective attacks if the level difference is too great.
Killing them is possible, but it takes forever depending on the enemy.

But once they hit Yellow...they got no chance.

ZenaxPure

Ended up putting 10 hours into it so far but don't think I am that far into the story,
off to save JuJu atm
. I am absolutely loving just running around exploring and fighting stuff.

As someone who has spent the past month playing a lot of Final Fantasy 14 since it was cheap and Yoshida's art is amazing I am baffled by the similarities to the combat in this game. Similar isn't even the way I'd state it, the games literally have the exact same combat except for the group combo stuff Xenoblade has going on. Everyone making the Final Fantasy 12 comparisons were right, this certainly feels like an evolution of that (which 14 does as well)... Bottom line is it's awesome and I love just fighting things constantly.

I hope I don't over level myself because I want most boss and unique mobs to be a challenge the whole way through. I am hoping not doing a lot of the more boring sidequests (Go out and kill x generic mobs/find items) will keep my level balanced.

Either way this is exactly the game I thought I was getting myself into and have not been let down in the least which has me excited to keep going. There is nothing quite as amazing as the feeling of fighting a giant dinosaur thing only to get in the killing blow when all your heals are on cooldown and your tank has 100 HP left... love it so much.

Ultratech

Just bought this and about to fire it up. Any missables I should be aware of?

Missables? Hmm...there are Timed Quests that go away eventually.

A few areas also get locked out later, so it's possible to miss out on Unique enemies and/or Secret Areas.
You don't have to worry too much about the Collectibles in those areas though, since you'll be able to trade for those after a certain point (if you missed any the first time through).

jrcbandit

Any changes to the US version over the European release? I might just keep my US version sealed since I already solved the import version, although I want to switch to the sexy reversible cover.

Alucrid

Banned
Armor actually changes depending on what you equip? YESSS. Also what's safe to sell? Collectibles? Should I try and keep as many materials as possible?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think every collectible is tradable at certain points, though I could be wrong.

They pretty much all are. I know there were one or two collectibles that I was no longer able to get from their proper zone late in the game that I was still able to obtain in other ways.

Just one thing to be aware of is that regional affinity affects the items that NPCs are willing to trade. Many potentially "missable" collectibles can only be traded for with 4 or 5 star region affinity.

Also, I would say that you should probably hold onto any drops you find as long as humanly possible without selling them. The fact is that you're not going to run out of inventory space for a very long time, and I seem to recall that some common drops actually do get used for quests even if they're not marked. Money isn't really all that huge an issue in this game either, and quickly clearing a few side quests is a more efficient means of acquiring money anyway. Later on in the game when you're starting to run low on space, then you can start clearing out your low quality items.

Firemind

They pretty much all are. I know there were one or two collectibles that I was no longer able to get from their proper zone late in the game that I was still able to obtain in other ways.

Just one thing to be aware of is that regional affinity affects the items that NPCs are willing to trade. Many potentially "missable" collectibles can only be traded for with 4 or 5 star region affinity.

I recall some NPCs didn't offer specific collectibles anymore after the town affinity went up, but I'm too lazy to check.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Armor actually changes depending on what you equip? YESSS. Also what's safe to sell? Collectibles? Should I try and keep as many materials as possible?

DO NOT SELL COLLECTIBLES. Firstly, you should fill in the Collectopaedia for each zone, which requires one of each. After that, collectibles are used as gifts for your party members.

You can have one character give a collectible as a present to another party member, and based on whether they like the item or not, they will either gain or lose a certain amount of affinity. The best items give you three hearts of affinity between those two characters, so if you've got a lot of a collectible that a certain character likes, you can give them (one at a time) to relatively quickly boost the relationship between your characters.

This equates to more opportunities for burst affinities, chain attacks, and other beneficial attributes in battle, as well as access to more Heart to Heart scenes. Also, some collectibles are required for certain trades.

You also have more inventory space for collectibles than there are actual collectibles, so on your first playthrough you will never run out of inventory space.

Alucrid

Banned
DO NOT SELL COLLECTIBLES. Firstly, you should fill in the Collectopaedia for each zone, which requires one of each. After that, collectibles are used as gifts for your party members.

You can have one character give a collectible as a present to another party member, and based on whether they like the item or not, they will either gain or lose a certain amount of affinity. The best items give you three hearts of affinity between those two characters, so if you've got a lot of a collectible that a certain character likes, you can give them (one at a time) to relatively quickly boost the relationship between your characters.

This equates to more opportunities for burst affinities, chain attacks, and other beneficial attributes in battle, as well as access to more Heart to Heart scenes. Also, some collectibles are required for certain trades.

You also have more inventory space for collectibles than there are actual collectibles, so on your first playthrough you will never run out of inventory space.

Thanks for the info. Luckily I haven't sold anything yet.

Coldsnap

6905977236_a091610aab_c.jpg

Aww yeah! It's ripping now, and I should be playing on Dolphin here in the next hour or so!

what controller you gonna use?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Most of the good affinity raising items are rare. If you need some cash for an Intermediate Art Book or something, selling some collectables isn't a bad idea since they tend to be worth quite a bit more than junk armor, gem shards, etc.

It's pointless to sell them on a whim though since you have plenty of space for them.

Seriously, the combat in this is so good. How it is just fast paced and fluent makes me want to keep fighting every monster in every dungeon. I finally think I'm done for the day. Put in almost five hours.

God, this game looks like garbage on my LCD. I'm loving the game, but the image quality is sooo poor (I have component cables). I blame my monitor more than the game/Wii.

EDIT: Should I sell or keep collectables/materials? Is there anything I should avoid selling that isn't obvious?

edit 2: the question has already been asked and answered already

Spoo

Low quality and common materials like bunny meat or ant legs or whatever. They're denoted by a small bag icon.

Low quality gems. Lvl. 1 and 2 gems are generally not worth crafting.

Duplicate weapons and armour.

Keep collectibles and use them in the collectopedia to receive rewards.

Keep items with exclamation marks. White denotes current quests. Orange denotes future quests.

Thanks!

Top Bottom