• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Junie12

I'm doing so many side quests, I already spent 20 hours in this game and
I still haven't rescue Juju

Man this is FF12 all over again, ignore the main quest and do the side quests :lol

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I want to give this a shot on Dolphin, with a i7 920 and 12 GB of RAM, should I be ok? My GPU is kind of aged (GTX 285), but Dolphin is mostly CPU intensive, right?

Should I be alright? This hi-res pack jingles my jongles pretty well.

Also is there a way to get my save from the Wii to Dolphin? I'd hate to restart if I have to.

That is basically the exact same CPU and RAM that I have. You should be fine other than some occasional audio wonkiness (which is usually easily fixed by changing the time, warping, or getting into battle).

Also, that hi-res pack looks like ass, and worst of all it totally screws with the battle portraits for high and low tension, which actually becomes important the farther you get in the game. The game looks great without it in Dolphin anyway.

And yes, it is possible to transfer your save over. I believe there was a FAQ somewhere in the Dolphin thread from last year. I moved my save over after starting on the Wii too.

Tunic

I am running the game on LCD HD TV with composite cable. What is the best cable to run the game on HD TV?

The best type of cable available for the Wii would be a component cable. There are several brands available including Nintendo's own but any of those would suffice.

Philia

A Canadian friend of mine bought a used wii and a NA copy of Xenoblade today. He came to discover that he needs to update his wii which is a 4.1U (red wii) but however he doesn't have wireless internet. He's asking me if he could softmod it to avoid the update because possibly that the game is dual layered and the wii wouldn't work or something like that.

Any ideas?

A Canadian friend of mine bought a used wii and a NA copy of Xenoblade today. He came to discover that he needs to update his wii which is a 4.1U (red wii) but however he doesn't have wireless internet. He's asking me if he could softmod it to avoid the update because possibly that the game is dual layered and the wii wouldn't work or something like that.

Any ideas?

Most Wii Games that require an update have the update on the disc I thought.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Alrighty; thanks to some helpful users here and elsewhere, a few different builds of Dolphin, and a couple hours of time, I think I finally have everything set and ready to go. This game looks *gorgeous* now!

6906629444_262be77f37_b.jpg

But now it's nearly 1 o'clock in the morning! lol ... So, I suppose I'll be delving into this later in the weekend.

Early impressions (only about 40 minutes in) are:

Typical whiny/giggly characters
Opening 10 minutes were pretty cool
I like the art style
British voices are a nice change of pace
Battle system seems like it could be pretty awesome

raven777

Yes that one is perfect. I actually use this very one and it allows you to use the 480p resolution. As others have stated make sure once you do connect the component cable to your Wii and TV that you change the resolution in the Wii Settings menu to 480p and widescreen.

Thanks. I just ordered it.

Philia

Unfortunately he just bought a wii, and xenoblade is the only game he has. But yeah, I don't think he'd go out and buy a cheap game when he could just gotten a wireless hub somehow.

Hence he was considering the softmodding. Is the softmod PAL copy would work for the NA copy the same way?

JimboJones

Unfortunately he just bought a wii, and xenoblade is the only game he has. But yeah, I don't think he'd go out and buy a cheap game when he could just gotten a wireless hub somehow.

Hence he was considering the softmodding. Is the softmod PAL copy would work for the NA copy the same way?

Well softmodding is fairly easy all the info you need is herehttp://gwht.wikidot.com/

I know he dosn't have a wireless network but does your friend have a laptop or a PC with a Wifi card? If he does he can try sharing his wired connection through the laptop/PC to create a temporary wifi hotspot.

Teknoman

There is no way I can make the game look like this on Wii , I assume.

Nope but it still looks pretty sharp/colorful at 480p.

EDIT: Wait wtf
Fiora died
? Wow...didnt think something like that would happen. This is one of the few games that made me show emotion on my face matching the main character. The soundtrack helps of course.

Jintor

If it weren't for Dolphin's tendency to crap out on me after three or more hours of extended play, I'd use it all the time

Jarmel

Banned
I'm getting fucking swarmed with legions of quests and I'm wondering if I should just do the next story mission so I have atleast one party member.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Okay, now about two hours in.

Yeah, this game is good. Characters are already starting to become pretty likeable, and that's rare in JRPGs, in my opinion.

I can tell I'm just barely scratching he absolute surface of this game, but it's obvious there is going to be oodles of depth. Forging, selling, loot, gear, party tactics, level system, skill trees, art, linking, heart2hearts, etc. And this game already feels huge, and I've gone almost nowhere. Can't wait till it opens up even more.

Music is killer, already. Loving it. Battle system is great. I love how it auto attacks while you circle around, and launching from different positions give you a tactical advantage. Dialogue is kinda cheesy so far, but the voice acting is surprisingly solid.

Good first impressions, for sure. Definitely seems like a step-up from typical JRPGs relics.

I do have a question; it's obvious the game has a few hours of "tutorial mode", and I'm still just in the beginning of it. But, like most RPGs, I know this will "open up" to where I can get into the meat of the story, venture around, etc, etc. About how long do you have to put into this game before you get out of that "tutorial intro" that these games all have?

Anyway, here are some more Dolphin screenies. Yeah, I'm partially bragging. But at the same time, I'm just amazed at the art direction, scope, and overall production values of this game. It's amazing how much effort was put into building this world, considering that Nintendo's Wii doesn't often get games like this. Of course, these are all downsized, so it doesn't look *quite* this sharp when I'm playing, but it's definitely pretty darn close.

6906680260_3a11a8bbb2_b.jpg

6906679164_89a5332985_b.jpg

7052771907_8cd20d168e_b.jpg

6906683260_0de2aba778_b.jpg

Levyne

Banned
sooo I've already played this on my wii, but since then I've lost my wii and copy of the game but gained a pc that could probably run this on dolphin. Man those screens are really making my want to double dip

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I do have a question; it's obvious the game has a few hours of "tutorial mode", and I'm still just in the beginning of it. But, like most RPGs, I know this will "open up" to where I can get into the meat of the story, venture around, etc, etc. About how long do you have to put into this game before you get out of that "tutorial intro" that these games all have?

Anyway, here are some more Dolphin screenies. Yeah, I'm partially bragging. But at the same time, I'm just amazed at the art direction, scope, and overall production values of this game. It's amazing how much effort was put into building this world, considering that Nintendo's Wii doesn't often get games like this. Of course, these are all downsized, so it doesn't look *quite* this sharp when I'm playing, but it's definitely pretty darn close.

The game will keep introducing new concepts here and there over the course of most of the game, really, particularly as you get new characters. The "tutorial phase" in general, though, basically lasts up to the next major outdoor zone.

If you're asking when you're going to move out of this opening "prologue" phase and get hit in the face with some plot, based on those screenshots it looks like
you're very nearly there

Skel1ingt0n

The game will keep introducing new concepts here and there over the course of most of the game, really, particularly as you get new characters. The "tutorial phase" in general, though, basically lasts up to the next major outdoor zone.

If you're asking when you're going to move out of this opening "prologue" phase and get hit in the face with some plot, based on those screenshots it looks like you're very nearly there.

That's exactly what I was asking! Thank you :)

raven777

played about an hour. the battle system seems interesting, but I am not getting used to the auto attacking system. Hopefully when more battle systems are introduced, the battle will be more fun.

The only problem I have with the visuals, other than the fact that its a wii game, is that I don't really like some of the movement animations(like jump motion) and character's face seems little awkward(nose). But other than that, the environment is beautiful and overall art direction seems great.

That's exactly what I was asking! Thank you :)

Are you having any audio issues with Dolphin? From what I've read it seems to be fucking up for a lot of people. Those screens make me jealous but if I ever ran into a game-breaking issue I'd probably have a meltdown, lol. I'm almost ready to re-install a bootcamp partition just to play Xenoblade with acceptable visuals. But it would have to be reliable...

played about an hour. the battle system seems interesting, but I am not getting used to the auto attacking system. Hopefully when more battle systems are introduced, the battle will be more fun.

The only problem I have with the visuals, other than the fact that its a wii game, is that I don't really like some of the movement animations(like jump motion) and character's face seems little awkward(nose). But other than that, the environment is beautiful and overall art direction seems great.

One of the things that bugs me about the game and 3D JRPGs in general, is that running animations never look right. You move so much faster than your running animation implies. You see this all the time in Post 9 final fantasies, Dark Cloud 2, Persona 3+4.

One of the things that bugs me about the game and 3D JRPGs in general, is that running animations never look right. You move so much faster than your running animation implies. You see this all the time in Post 9 final fantasies, Dark Cloud 2, Persona 3+4.

I think is much more evident in this game than the others you mentioned. The run speed immediately stuck out to me and I normally don't notice those things. Just by eye-balling it it looks to be on par with a 100% mount in WoW.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
What's the best time to start questing around the first town?

I just got Fiora in my party. Should I wait a bit longer?

Do some now if you want. Or don't. Really up to you. You've got really the entire game to do Colony 9's quests, so you can do as little or as much as you want right now.

There's no real reason why you should hold off on quests, but there's no real pressing need to get them out of the way immediately either.

I think is much more evident in this game than the others you mentioned. The run speed immediately stuck out to me and I normally don't notice those things. Just by eye-balling it it looks to be on par with a 100% mount in WoW.

I mean it seems like such an easy thing to fix. Just reduce the run speed or speed the animation up a bit. They're completely out of whack. It's a minor issue, but it stuck out to me.

Hiltz

I mean it seems like such an easy thing to fix. Just reduce the run speed or speed the animation up a bit. They're completely out of whack. It's a minor issue, but it stuck out to me.

Running as well as jumping animations do look awkward and it doesn't help how weapons look like large plastic toys strapped to their backs. Better start getting used to it!

As for sidequests, just take your time. The game encourages you to do things at your leisure after all. Of course, it's kind of depressing to spend hours completing more than 20 hours only for the game to suddenly bombard you with more.

Running as well as jumping animations do look awkward and it doesn't help how weapons look like large plastic toys strapped to their backs. Better start getting used to it!

Its a quirk of 3D JRPGs you just have to get over. I just figured this game would have overcome it.

Also, the music is great. The highest rated comment from this video sums it up:

Xenoblade Chronicles Music - Colony 9

I remember the first time hearing this theme ..and I knew this game is going to be great

Top Bottom