• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Pachinko

Well I put about an hour and a half into this today, I'm liking it for the most part so far. Feels like a low budget final fantasy 12. Nothing wrong with that though, looks to have an engaging tactical combat system and a somewhat interesting story.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not very far in but I gotta say I'm digging NOA's choice to not redub the voice work. Gives the game a bit of a signature style.

Dizzy-4U

For those playing on Dolphin and have audio issues, set your "framelimit" to "audio" in the general config tab. Also, set the audio to Xaudio2.

That fixed it for me.

burgerdog

Nope but it still looks pretty sharp/colorful at 480p.

EDIT: Wait wtf
Fiora died
? Wow...didnt think something like that would happen. This is one of the few games that made me show emotion on my face matching the main character. The soundtrack helps of course.

I'm a terrible person, I clicked on the spoiler and UPS still has my game. How many hours in should I expect that?

Almond

I'm a terrible person, I clicked on the spoiler and UPS still has my game. How many hours in should I expect that?

Without exploring, it's only about an hour or two in. So don't worry too much. There's plenty of other twists along the way.

AwShucks

About 2 hours and 45 minutes in. I'm liking it well enough at this point. The story seems to just be picking up a bit right now. The battle system is fairly simple but can be complex and I imagine it will get even more so.

You can give party members gifts!? I'm like 30+ hours in and must havae missed this!

It's a relatively minor feature, especially considering there are far more efficient ways to improve affinity between characters. Using them in battle, for example, will improve affinity while you also gain experience, AP points, skill points, and loot. Still useful on the margins, or if you want to improve affinity between characters that you don't want in the same battle party.

...I hope you know about quick travel and the ability to change the time of day. It's astounding how far some people get without knowing about such useful features.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, gifting is primarily useful if you either 1) are pretty sure two particular characters are probably close to leveling up their affinity and want to quickly boost them over the hump or 2) you have like 30 of a particular collectible that a certain character likes and can quickly rack up a whole hell of a lot of affinity points for them.

Otherwise using them in battle and/or having them in the active party when you either accept or complete quests is likely where you're going to get most of your party affinity.

(See also, the link in the OP regarding the technical details of how affinity works.)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow it seems I'm getting curbstomped by some of the regular enemies in the game despite our levels being similar.

It happens to everyone. Some enemies I could beat that were two or three levels above me in the first area. Other enemies, like you said, I could not beat a the beginning.

Just level up, its the solution to all your problems in this game.

Is there anyway to track regular quests on the map or minimap? Some of them really give no clue on where to go for the monsters or items.

If there's a specific, unique item to find (a glowing red orb) or a specific character you need to talk to there will be a red exclamation mark on the map, just like the white exclamation marks that denote quest givers.

When it comes to monsters, you're on your own. Generally the monsters come in groups and they all respawn, so once you find some you should be fine.

Only things I don't like is the camera is horrible in close spaces and the waggle remote doesn't help with that, and the voices make me wanna kill kittens :p

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is it safe to sell old equipment?

Yes, you'll never really need anything but the best/most recent equipment, and you'll find a ton of equipment on the field from monsters (better than what you get in shops usually). There are some late-game exceptions, which will probably be pretty obvious.

Is there crafting besides gems, or can I sell all these materials?

Don't worry about selling materials until your inventory is full. And if you do sell them, avoid selling rare items (big bags) if possible.

There's no crafting system for them though, but you'll need a lot of them for quests. Most of the time the game will mark the ones you'll need, but not always.

It happens to everyone. Some enemies I could beat that were two or three levels above me in the first area. Other enemies, like you said, I could not beat a the beginning.

Early on in the game enemies around the same level or a bit higher are tough since you don't have as many arts to work with. Later on you shouldn't have too much trouble with normal enemies that are 5 levels higher (max before the agility penalty) since you'll have more, higher level arts to work with and a party better suited to your own needs. Plus more experience with the combat system, of course.

Is there crafting besides gems, or can I sell all these materials?

You don't use materials to craft, but you never know what you may need for an upcoming quest. Plus, your inventory is huge; you can afford to hoard. You really only need money for Art manuals throughout most of the game. If you have more than 10 of any given material, it's probably safe to sell a few.

Ydahs

I'll just say that this game has one of the most engaging story lines of any JRPGs I've ever played. For those just starting out, you're in for one hell of an emotional roller coaster. It's certainly not your standard predictable storyline and you'll find out why soon enough :)

I wish I could experience it all again. It's that damn good.

Mikey Jr.

That fucking caterpillar.

"Ohh, he's level 10, and I'm level 10. This should be easy!"

No....no it wasn't.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I guess I'll move my talk about the game here from the Euro thread. Still been trying to beat that final boss: I spend ten minutes a day or so just grinding just slowly leveling up a couple of times before I'm going to go tackle him again. It does feel like I'm severely underleveled though (the attacks do way to much damage way to fast) which is weird because the fights leading up to it, including the "sub-boss fight" are no problem for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'll move my talk about the game here from the Euro thread. Still been trying to beat that final boss: I spend ten minutes a day or so just grinding just slowly leveling up a couple of times before I'm going to go tackle him again. It does feel like I'm severely underleveled though (the attacks do way to much damage way to fast) which is weird because the fights leading up to it, including the "sub-boss fight" are no problem for me.

What level are you? It should be possible but difficult around
level 78
and be pretty easy at
. I think the actual level of the enemy is
but I could be off by a level.

Wouldn't normally spoiler tag that, but since the game just came out and people are just starting I did it anyway. Since those levels would give an indications of how far through the game people are and give them an idea of when the ending would be.

Keep at it; it eventually gets to the point where it's (somewhat) easily manageable. Depending on your level and where you're grinding, you should be able to average a level every half hour or so, which isn't so bad. The ending is worth it.

The caterpillar always gets people :lol

Having gone through all this before, we know what the next major DAMN moment will be in the thread:
that spider.

The Technomancer

What level are you? It should be possible but difficult around
level 78
and be pretty easy at
. I think the actual level of the enemy is
but I could be off by a level.
I want to say I'm
or so, I'll probably try to get one level higher before I try again.
Wouldn't normally spoiler tag that, but since the game just came out and people are just starting I did it anyway. Since those levels would give an indications of how far through the game people are and give them an idea of when the ending would be.

I agree, but I do want to say that the leveling curve didn't seem smooth to me at all. The last third of the game or so felt like I was leveling up a lot faster.
Basically everything from the Fallen Arm on

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I want to say I'm
or so, I'll probably try to get one level higher before I try again.

That's the same level I beat it at. I didn't have much trouble at all, but I feel like my party was kind of broken.

Mained Shulk, had 7th with the "blender" setup dealing stupid amounts of damage, and Sharla to heal, even though it was kind of redundant with 7th self-healing with skill/links faster than she took damage and Shulk having light heal when I needed it.

The Technomancer

That's the same level I beat it at. I didn't have much trouble at all, but I feel like my party was kind of broken.

Mained Shulk, had 7th with the "blender" setup dealing stupid amounts of damage, and Sharla to heal, even though it was kind of redundant with 7th self-healing with skill/links faster than she took damage and Shulk having light heal when I needed it.

Yeah, I've been alternating between
Shulk-Melia-Riki, Shulk-7th-Riki, and sometimes Shulk-Melia-7th. Occasionally I'll stick Dunban in if I feel like it, but he's too fragile for this fight for me. Also why are we spoiling 7th inside spoiler tags?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I've been alternating between
Shulk-Melia-Riki, Shulk-7th-Riki, and sometimes Shulk-Melia-7th. Occasionally I'll stick Dunban in if I feel like it, but he's too fragile for this fight for me. Also why are we spoiling 7th inside spoiler tags?

Some poor person will probably end up clicking the spoiler tags thinking they might not spoil too much. Might as well spoil as little as possible!

Already happened to at least one person on this page, or the last one, whenever it was.

The Technomancer

Some poor person will probably end up clicking the spoiler tags thinking they might not spoil too much. Might as well spoil as little as possible!

Already happened to at least one person on this page, or the last one, whenever it was.

I think next time I'm going to try maining
Melia
and see if I can just warn Shulk frequently enough that the foreshadowed attacks won't destroy me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That should work, just stick beside him and avoid chain attacks unless you have really high affinity between those party members and can build the party gauge enough during the chain attack to be ready for it.

It's really unfortunate that during the middle part of the game chain attacks become very dangerous since they drain your party gauge more than you can easily restore. I guess it makes it a bit more challenging though, since chain attacks make the post-game stuff too easy with max affinity.

I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this I am getting the game on Monday but the thing is I don't have a wii yet. Wondering if the wii u has been confirmed to be fully BC yet? Maybe I should just get a cheap wii.

Mobius1

Mwahaha, just got my copy in the mail. Ordered it late but still got the 'artbook' (more of an art brochure).

Can't wait to finish Skyward Sword so I can start playing this beast.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I thought I was done with Colony 9 then suddenly there was some 'Hey kill a bunch of monsters!' guy. I wish I never knew those existed, so I could have just moved on.

Aeana

I thought I was done with Colony 9 then suddenly there was some 'Hey kill a bunch of monsters!' guy. I wish I never knew those existed, so I could have just moved on.

Try your hardest to resist being a completionist with this game, because it's going to burn you out. There's just way too many dumb, worthless quests.

I just started the game up, but I can tell that this game is going to suck a lot of time away for me. I'm really enjoying the atmosphere, and the battle system seems neat. Looking forward to getting further along.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Try your hardest to resist being a completionist with this game, because it's going to burn you out. There's just way too many dumb, worthless quests.

I've already accepted that I'm going to miss some quests based on timelines, but I can't just skip ones that are right infront of me.

Ok, this is extremely frustrating. How the fuck do you start a chain attack? I have 3 full bars. Tooltip says I need to chain attack. Thanks tooltip, but HOW DO I DO THAT?

Yeah, I'm only a few hours in but I think I have a pretty good system. Accept all quests and then play the story. You'll finish a bunch of them without even trying, and since you don't have to return to the quest giver you don't even need to pay attention.

Top Bottom