• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Doorman

Hour 3 - not that into it. Largely ugly, terrible side quests, lots of running, frustrating camera.
Hour 10 - OOPS I'M ADDICTED

I kind of feel this way, although you could replace hour 10 with hour 5 and probably be about right. I spent probably two hours last night just wandering aimlessly over the Leg area, not trying to complete any particular sidequests or anything, just seeing what I ran into and trying to get a better handle on the huge map.

Yeah. A few level 70 monster encounters later, I felt it was probably in my best interest to advance the story instead.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Im Lv60~ and I think I have a pretty nice Melia setup going. My team consists of Melia/Riki/??? and whoever else for the third. Here's my battle layout:

Summon Bolt, Copy Bolt, Fire > Topple Combo > Release Fire > Summon Bolt > Release Bolt, Bolt, Bolt... Repeat. Sometimes if I have some "stand around time" waiting for summons to recharge I will cast Reflection in case I drew Aggro from any of the spells.

I know how good Wind (Agility) can be, so sometimes I use it and go Wind, Bolt, Copy Bolt instead, but I find that my other two party members can do damage quickly enough to not have to worry about having high Agility to survive fights. Riki's healing spell is normally enough to counter any damage they would've received, so I kind of start to think that Wind Agility buff is not as necessary... and it's nicer to have the Strength buff with a third party member who relies on physical attacks.

Im Lv60~ and I think I have a pretty nice Melia setup going. My team consists of Melia/Riki/??? and whoever else for the third. Here's my battle layout:

Summon Bolt, Copy Bolt, Fire > Topple Combo > Release Fire > Summon Bolt > Release Bolt, Bolt, Bolt... Repeat. Sometimes if I have some "stand around time" waiting for summons to recharge I will cast Reflection in case I drew Aggro from any of the spells.

I know how good Wind (Agility) can be, so sometimes I use it and go Wind, Bolt, Copy Bolt instead, but I find that my other two party members can do damage quickly enough to not have to worry about having high Agility to survive fights. Riki's healing spell is normally enough to counter any damage they would've received, so I kind of start to think that Wind Agility buff is not as necessary... and it's nicer to have the Strength buff with a third party member who relies on physical attacks.

Melia Riki Sharla was the best team by far in the import as long as you control Melia and know how to use her correctly.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I haven't followed this thread at all because I played the European version last year, but I'm curious to know what US GAF thinks of the game now that it's out. Do people generally feel like the hype was justified?

I only pre-ordered based on hype.
Everything after that I base solely on the game... which is fun

raven777

Just got past 10 hours. Another question I have is:

I reached to the part where I tried to rescue juju, fought with the speaking faced mechon, and now I am off to colony 6 to rescue juju. So far I haven't touched any gems and skill tree system. Am I suppose to be using these 2 features extensively at this point? Because I don't have any gems yet, and I don't really understand the skill tree system yet. I have been upgrading the arts.

Just got past 10 hours. Another question I have is:

I reached to the part where I tried to rescue juju, fought with the speaking faced mechon, and now I am off to colony 6 to rescue juju. So far I haven't touched any gems and skill tree system. Am I suppose to be using these 2 features extensively at this point? Because I don't have any gems yet, and I don't really understand the skill tree system yet. I have been upgrading the arts.

The best gems throughout most of the first half of the game can be gotten from quests or filling the collectipedia, so don't worry about crafting just yet. The guide in the OP should help whenever you feel it necessary to start.

You should be paying attention to skills, yes. Go to the skill menu and look at the three trees for each character. Find some skills that you think would be useful, and select the tree. The skills will level from top to bottom. You can switch trees at any time if you want to level up certain skills.

Hiltz

Are you using Electric Plus, (so it's as 100%), Ether Up, and Plus Topple gems on her equipment?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Just reached Mekna Forest or whatever its called. Man, this game has some of the best sceneries i've ever seen so far. Hoping to see Xenoblade II on Wii U to see what Monolith can do with better hardware.

kswiston

That's not really saying much though. RPGs this generation have been horrible.

There have been a lot of good rpgs on handheld this gen. And if you throw in srpgs, there have been a few good games on the three consoles as well. What consoles are missing this generation is Atlus. They stuck with the PS2 so long that they almost missed this generation. I am hoping to see at least 1-2 SMT games for PS3/360 (and probably Wii-U if they are multiplat).

Hour 3 - not that into it. Largely ugly, terrible side quests, lots of running, frustrating camera.
Hour 10 - OOPS I'M ADDICTED

I think the game really clicked for me around hour 7, but I felt the same. At first the music was sleepy, the characters and story OK, and the character designs a little odd (those noses). But then the plot picked up, and I started to get the hand of the battle system, and I was hooked. really wish I had more time to play outside of the weekends...

-GOUKI-

So im wandering around the bionis killing those horse things. All of a sudden a giant 20 foot baboon comes out of nowhere and roflstomps me to death in 5 seconds. Dafuq.

Leeness

So im wandering around the bionis killing those horse things. All of a sudden a giant 20 foot baboon comes out of nowhere and roflstomps me to death in 5 seconds. Dafuq.

Yeah...that happens a lot.

If your screen starts flashing red and OHSHIT music starts playing, haul ass.

Ydahs

Glad to see a lot of people really enjoying it. It really is masterful how Monolith Soft managed to get such an expansive world running on a console with only 88MB RAM. Now just imagine what they'll be able to achieve on the Wii U.

The best thing about this game is that is just gets better the further you progress. Some RPGs often feel rushed towards the end and their conclusion just doesn't feel right. That's not the case with Xenoblade. The last 15 hours are absolutely insane and I couldn't have asked for more. If you're not hooked to the story towards the end you have no soul.

You'll feel satisfied with the ending, realise you just played the best game of all time and then log in to GAF just to talk about the conclusion of the story.

I'm desperately trying to get the 360 button pack to work on my dolphin version... . I have it in the user/load/textures/ etc... but it will not load...

anyone have it working?? what renderer are you using?

Got my email today from Nintendo saying my copy is in the final stages of shipping. And I just beat Mass Effect 3, so now I have all the time to play it.

I'm ready GAF. I haven't played a Wii game in a LONG time.

-GOUKI-

I'm desperately trying to get the 360 button pack to work on my dolphin version... . I have it in the user/load/textures/ etc... but it will not load...

anyone have it working?? what renderer are you using?

Im using a 360 pad. Just set it up with the classic controller in Dolphin.

Zekes!

Man I really hope Nintendo recognizes all this fanfare for Monolith and Xenoblade. Hopefully it sells well over here too.

Just reached Mekna Forest or whatever its called. Man, this game has some of the best sceneries i've ever seen so far. Hoping to see Xenoblade II on Wii U to see what Monolith can do with better hardware.

end game spoilers Xenoblade II:
Land of the fallen

Edgeward

Welp, that spider boss fight was piss easy since I explored most of colony 9 before advancing the quest. lol

I wish marks were easier to find. One is listed in battery 1 area but I can't find it at all.

AniHawk

any point to keeping stuff like mechon pieces you pick up in chests or the blue glowy stuff outside of autocompleting quests?

i won't say, regret selling them to pay for armor, will i?

anaron

any point to keeping stuff like mechon pieces you pick up in chests or the blue glowy stuff outside of autocompleting quests?

Certainly don't throw away the "blue glowy stuff." They're necessary for the Collectopedia and quests waaaaaaay down the line. Just at the very least, have a minimum amount.

braves01

Banned
6 hours in impressions, just leaving colony 9:

It took me a while to get used the battle system (never played ffxii or any memo, both of which I'd heard compared to Xenoblade), but now that I have the hang of it I'm quite addicted. It's really fun chaining stuff and not having to choose the whole party's actions all the time. Ive had camera minor camera problems during fights with the wiimote, but nothing serious yet. The music is great obviously, and after a short adjustment period for my peepers, I'm really enjoying the game visually as well. The story, however, is very average so far, but that could change. The number of mechanics around gear, skill trees, gem crafting, etc. seem almost overwhelming right now. Since the game is so long though, I expect they'll help keep it fresh longer as I get more accustomed to them.

tl;dr hype was justified

I usually keep the ones with a mark I think an ! mark because there required for some side quests.

This is easily a breath of fresh air from a lot of the fluff this gen. Simple yet effective battle system, and the world is eyecandy every direction you look.

I also love how every map has super high level monsters to keep you running for your life when you go exploring.

Evlar

Banned

From what I understand (I'm not complete on the game yet, but a decent way in) the armor you get from monster drops and quest rewards is almost always better than anything you can buy. You need money for skill books, not armor, generally speaking.

You do need the stuff in the Collectopedia (the glowy blue stuff) for quests and to power-level your affinity between group members and NPCs. Also, the collectopedia itself gives you gems.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Glad to see a lot of people really enjoying it. It really is masterful how Monolith Soft managed to get such an expansive world running on a console with only 88MB RAM. Now just imagine what they'll be able to achieve on the Wii U.

The best thing about this game is that is just gets better the further you progress. Some RPGs often feel rushed towards the end and their conclusion just doesn't feel right. That's not the case with Xenoblade. The last 15 hours are absolutely insane and I couldn't have asked for more. If you're not hooked to the story towards the end you have no soul.

You'll feel satisfied with the ending, realise you just played the best game of all time and then log in to GAF just to talk about the conclusion of the story.

That's absolutely awesome to hear! I'm really debating with myself if I'm gonna finish this game. Don't get me wrong - I'm asbolutely loving it. Funny, I just got done gushing about The Witcher 2 in the new OT, so I feel kind of overly hyperbolic gushing about this game, too. But it's just so rare that a game really pulls me in, and this one is somehow managing the impossible. The characters are really likeable, the world is great, atmosphere is spectacular, battle system is fun, the music is great, and so far the difficulty has been maybe just a hair too tough; but still close to just right. Overall, it's the first JRPG to yank me in since FFIX. ... But, I just have so many titles in the backlog, that it's hard for me to finish a ~100 hour long game, when I know I can finish ten others in that amount of time.

But if you're telling me the ending makes it all worthwhile, I'm gonna trust ya. As KOTOR was teetering on being one of my all-time favorites; and then that twist came about in the last few hours, and it instantly solidified the title as my favorite game of all time. So I'm a real sucker for a quality conclusion at the end of a game; even though I'm not terribly hard on games when they fail to deliver (ME3, and to a lesser extent, TW2).

And, this game is pretty!

6917647092_b3556e3e7d_b.jpg

7063727263_fe8eb133f8_b.jpg

Anyhoo, just arrived at Colony 6, and I'm level 18. Am I about where I should be?

TDLink

Anyhoo, just arrived at Colony 6, and I'm level 18. Am I about where I should be?

IIRC you are a bit under-leveled. At the end of the next dungeon the boss is level 25. You will probably get close to that before you get to him but you are definitely a bit less than ideal.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
IIRC you are a bit under-leveled. At the end of the next dungeon the boss is level 25. You will probably get close to that before you get to him but you are definitely a bit less than ideal.

Okie dokie. Thank you :)

I'll see if I can finish up some fetch quests and hit 20 or so, then head in.

Skel1ingt0n

how do you highlight in black to not post spoilers on here? Thanks!

Want to talk about how far I am ...about 4 hours. Love the story so far

Without spaces:

Before text: [ s p o i l e r ]

After text: [ / s p o i l e r]

With the brackets.

EDIT: Testing to make sure ;p

Evlar

Banned
how do you highlight in black to not post spoilers on here? Thanks!

Want to talk about how far I am ...about 4 hours. Love the story so far

You use spoiler tags.
this[/spoiler]

Always preview your post before putting up some big spoiler with borked tags for all the world to see.

Thank you!!!! Again I'm about 4 hours in

Thanks again! To me I love the story. It has a very braveheart feel to me where his potential love is murdered and he sets out to kill them all. I had trouble with the face mech. Couldn't topple it to save me life. Where exactly do you have to hit the b button? I kept trying to line it up with the actual b but to no avail. The only other thing I had a problem with was this stupid frog that would house the crap out of me. I would then go back and fight it and then start winning and it ran away. I then just walked right by it ....lol not worth my time

Zekes!

Ah gotta do some grinding. Just got to the Bionis' arm and there's a mandatory quest/fight, and I'm a few levels below the monster, proving to be a bit of a pain. Probably my own fault for avoiding fights so much

Top Bottom