• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

Ah gotta do some grinding. Just got to the Bionis' arm and there's a mandatory quest/fight, and I'm a few levels below the monster, proving to be a bit of a pain. Probably my own fault for avoiding fights so much

Quests are probably the easiest way to get done what you need to get done.

But depending on your level, there's a cheap, relatively quick grind path I found on my first playthrough; it can net you around 10 levels in an hour or so:

Depending on your level, killing the giant Tortas that hang out in the middle of the Gaur Plains (underneath the arches, just north of the guidepost) is a great way to get easy EXP. They can be fought and beaten fairly easily with an underleveled team. Then, fight the unique giant Brog in Colony 9, Gentle Rodriguez, which can be found northeast of the Agora Shore area in a cave. It's also easy to beat and it's at level 40, so it'll give a nice chunk of EXP.

Remember that you get an EXP bonus for killing enemies during chain attacks (I think it's 25%, which is massive), so try and wait to use a chain attack until the enemy is sure to die during one.

Played a couple of hours today. I'm not crazy about the MMO-ish battle system, but I don't dislike it, either. The English VO work is outstanding. Great soundtrack, beautiful game. The camera controls are going to take some getting used to, though...

I look forward to playing much more of the game.

Effect

Finally made to the first location outside of Colony 9 (still not sure how to reach this lake I have to go to but wonder if that isn't even in Colony 9). Foolishly ran into a unique enemy as well. Which is weird since I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (and have played MMOs for years) and I'm used to being cautious before I attack something. I just ran right into this thing. Guess not having anything above it's head has messed with me. Need to get used to targeting every single thing in advance and take it slow. I think I have Reyn outfitted better now after using some of the money I had. Going have to grind a bit just to get more so the others are better equiped before I go back and tackle that cave. I'm now just realizing it's been a while since I've really played a JRPG. Not counting Tales of Vesperia since my attention was pulled away from that pretty early and it's been western designed rpgs for some time now. There was Final Fantasy XIII but that was streamlined so much that I didn't even need to do something like this.

Still can't get over how this game looks. Great. I certainly understand why people would put it above Skyward Sword. As much as I've enjoyed that, Silent Realms being the exception, and loved how it looked I'm already feeling this is the better Nintendo made game out of the two.

I really dont understand this skill linking thing at all. :/

What do you mean? Linking a skill allows a character to use a skill of the linked character without having to learn it, e.g. if you link the heavy armour skill from Dunban to Sharla, Sharla will be able to wear heavy armour. You can only link a skill that has the same type as the skill slot (marked by the icons).
The amount of skills you can link between two characters depends on their affinity towards one another.

Finally made to the first location outside of Colony 9 (still not sure how to reach this lake I have to go to but wonder if that isn't even in Colony 9). Foolishly ran into a unique enemy as well. Which is weird since I've been playing Star Wars: The Old Republic (and have played MMOs for years) and I'm used to being cautious before I attack something. I just ran right into this thing. Guess not having anything above it's head has messed with me. Need to get used to targeting every single thing in advance and take it slow.

Still can't get over how this game looks. Great. I certainly understand why people would put it above Skyward Sword. As much as I've enjoyed that, Silent Realms being the exception, and loved how it looked I'm already feeling this is the better Nintendo made game out of the two.

<_< you can turn that on somewhere, They did tell you about it when you go into the cave first time you must had press to turn it off

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Wait what? You can give character skills to other characters? i'm pretty sure i've read all tutorials popups and never saw this mentioned.

Effect

<_< you can turn that on somewhere, They did tell you about it when you go into the cave first time you must had press to turn it off

That's good that there is indeed an option. Thanks. I don't remember seeing it but will recheck the manual. Though it could be one of the extended tutorials I haven't read yet. I've read them all but a handful since I forgot about them at the time.

Wait what? You can give character skills to other characters? i'm pretty sure i've read all tutorials popups and never saw this mentioned.

Just to be clear, we're talking about Skills, not Arts. If you've unlocked it (and I think you have by this point) check the in-game tutorials from the menu. The tutorial actually isn't very good, so just try to understand TDLink's post. Once you start playing around with it for a few minutes, it should start to make sense.

Seanspeed

Banned
What do you mean? Linking a skill allows a character to use a skill of the linked character without having to learn it, e.g. if you link the heavy armour skill from Dunban to Sharla, Sharla will be able to wear heavy armour. You can only link a skill that has the same type as the skill slot (marked by the icons).
The amount of skills you can link between two characters depends on their affinity towards one another.

I'll mess around with it more, I guess.

Also, is there any point in controlling anybody other than Shulk? I have Sharla and Reyn in my party, but anytime I try and play as them, I tend to get my ass kicked a lot more often. I cant say exactly why because I have too hard of a time trying to keep an eye on what others are doing when I'm busy trying hard to focus on my own guy's actions. I have a feeling Shulk doesn't use his best attacks as much as he should, cuz he's my main damage dealer when I'm controlling him. I kind of miss the gambit system from FFXII so I could have a little control over what my other guys are doing a bit more. Or I wish you could like switch characters mid-battle or something.

And what good does 'break' then 'topple' do? I get that its needed for a few of the boss fights, but other than that, I'm not sure what sort of bonus I get for doing it. Seems like I might get an extra attack in or something, but they get right back up. Does 'break' on its own do anything? Do enemies have weaker defense when they're toppled or 'broke'?

I've also seen people mention there's like 'multipliers' or something? And whats the best way to do chain attacks? They seem particularly useless if Shulk isn't the first person attack, and even when he is, am I just always supposed to do 'break' then 'topple' and then some useless action from Sharla? Or are there other combinations that are effective that are somehow different than just doing these attacks regularly? It seems like Chain attacks are supposed to be really effective, but they dont seem to do anything extra special.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm almost level 20 now and I feel like I should have a much better understanding of all this stuff than I do.

y2dvd

Watched my brother playing it last night. Soundtrack was incredible so far. Voice acting was pretty good too. He already said it was leaps beyond FF12 and really enjoys it.

Firemind

Don't sweat it. You've only scratched the surface. Once you unlock more arts and level them and gain more affinity, chaining becomes much more effective. The more affinity you have the higher the odds you can keep chaining.

As for breaking/toppling, Shulk's break art already does decent damage, so you might as well use it when your other arts are cooling down and if Reyn topples that's a bonus. Sharla can break with her pistol whip art too and she gets a headshot art later on which you can use to keep the chain going. I mostly use her for dazing in the early game. It goes like this: Shulk -> break, Reyn -> topple, Sharla -> daze.

Eteric Rice

So, since it's been said that you cannot reset your ability levels and what not. How hard is it to mess up your characters?

I hate when games have no reset options. :(

ag-my001

And what good does 'break' then 'topple' do? I get that its needed for a few of the boss fights, but other than that, I'm not sure what sort of bonus I get for doing it. Seems like I might get an extra attack in or something, but they get right back up. Does 'break' on its own do anything? Do enemies have weaker defense when they're toppled or 'broke'?

If an enemy is Toppled, then they aren't hitting you back. There are gems you can get which will increase the time an enemy stays down, or can increase the damage you do to a Toppled enemy. Later on in the game, there will be some foes that reflect damage back at you unless they are toppled, so keeping them down becomes a big part of your strategy. Alternatively, there are a few tricky ones that get the reflect when you topple them, so keep an eye out for that. A tutorial box pops up explaining this stuff (Spike damage) before it comes into play, so don't worry about it until you see it.

Like the above poster said, right now you just need to level up to get more skills to make switching characters worthwhile. At this point, controlling Shulk is still probably best, as you can make good use of his positional skills and use a Break when you want Reyn to topple something.

Edit: About the multipliers for chain attacks, let me put it this way. I often controlled Melia, and on the first attack of a chain, she would do about 8k damage. Using the same colors for the other two, when her next turn came up, the damage was usually around 40k.

ag-my001

So, since it's been said that you cannot reset your ability levels and what not. How hard is it to mess up your characters?

I hate when games have no reset options. :(

Well, if you spend your Ability Points and need more, just fight more mobs. There's a never ending supply, you just might need to fight some more mobs or discover some more locations.

AwRy108

That's absolutely awesome to hear! I'm really debating with myself if I'm gonna finish this game. Don't get me wrong - I'm asbolutely loving it. Funny, I just got done gushing about The Witcher 2 in the new OT, so I feel kind of overly hyperbolic gushing about this game, too. But it's just so rare that a game really pulls me in, and this one is somehow managing the impossible. The characters are really likeable, the world is great, atmosphere is spectacular, battle system is fun, the music is great, and so far the difficulty has been maybe just a hair too tough; but still close to just right. Overall, it's the first JRPG to yank me in since FFIX. ... But, I just have so many titles in the backlog, that it's hard for me to finish a ~100 hour long game, when I know I can finish ten others in that amount of time.

But if you're telling me the ending makes it all worthwhile, I'm gonna trust ya. As KOTOR was teetering on being one of my all-time favorites; and then that twist came about in the last few hours, and it instantly solidified the title as my favorite game of all time. So I'm a real sucker for a quality conclusion at the end of a game; even though I'm not terribly hard on games when they fail to deliver (ME3, and to a lesser extent, TW2).

And, this game is pretty!

6917647092_b3556e3e7d_b.jpg

7063727263_fe8eb133f8_b.jpg

Anyhoo, just arrived at Colony 6, and I'm level 18. Am I about where I should be?

Pardon my ignorance, but how did you get the game to look to sharp and high-res? I'm using component cables and my image looks nowhere near that good, so I'm guessing there's some trickery going on here. Please share!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Pardon my ignorance, but how did you get the game to look to sharp and high-res? I'm using component cables and my image looks nowhere near that good, so I'm guessing there's some trickery going on here. Please share!

Dolphin. Game looks great running on a PC.

CoolS

Dolphin. Game looks great running on a PC.

So much truth in this. I just tried it for the first time today, after having loved the game on my first 110 hours playthrough last summer, and it looks amazing.

Everybody who has a decent PC should really try looking into playing this on Dolphin. The game is beautiful as it is on the Wii, but seeing it in HD makes it even more amazing.

Eteric Rice

I suspect he's using dolphin emulator. Can uprender to HD.

Anywho, can you max a character's skills if you play long enough? Hence not having to worry about messing up my characters.

Wichu

Is Daze only supposed to last a few seconds?

Yup, but you can use gems to increase the duration. Enemies go back to Topple state after recovering from Daze IIRC, so you're also increasing the Topple length (not sure if that's how it works though).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Is Daze only supposed to last a few seconds?
Yes, topple by default lasts 3 seconds and daze is 2 I think. You can use gems to extend the duration, and if you topple/daze a second time, it adds to the time. (This is actually one of the reasons why chain attacks are broken late in the game, you can just topple/daze-lock most enemies so they never get back up).

Anywho, can you max a character's skills if you play long enough? Hence not having to worry about messing up my characters.

In theory, you can, but you probably won't really come close to doing that in just playing through the game.

It's very, very unlikely you'll screw up a character though. The amount of points required to level up arts goes up pretty evenly with the amount you gain from enemies/quests/landmarks. If you decide there's a skill you haven't been leveling up, but you think you should be using, it shouldn't take too much effort to get it up.

In general, just put points into the skills you use, and you'll almost certainly be fine. You'll probably end up wasting some points, but in the long run it won't matter.

cametall

I swear I only played the game for 10 minutes yesteday, accomplished practically nothing except a handful of side quests, yet in reality 3 hours had passed -_-

I may only buy one Wii game a year, but those games last me over 70+ hours... which is like 7 PS360 games.

Bisnic

So much truth in this. I just tried it for the first time today, after having loved the game on my first 110 hours playthrough last summer, and it looks amazing.

Everybody who has a decent PC should really try looking into playing this on Dolphin. The game is beautiful as it is on the Wii, but seeing it in HD makes it even more amazing.

I looked at the Dolphin homepage this weekend since i want to play with AA mostly, but it seems to mention that i would need some USB bluetooth to play with my Wiimote. Don't really feel like buying something like that though. :(

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I looked at the Dolphin homepage this weekend since i want to play with AA mostly, but it seems to mention that i would need some USB bluetooth to play with my Wiimote. Don't really feel like buying something like that though. :(

You can find BT adapters for less than a dollar on Amazon, but I'm not sure I'd recommend one of those. If anybody does have recommendations for a good cheap BT adapter that would be nice.

You don't need that though unless you specifically want to use the Wii Remote. You can map the buttons to a 360 controller (wired or wireless w/ adapter), PS3 controller (wireless w/ BT or wired, need MotionInJoy which is a PITA to setup), or any PC controller.

jorgeton

Because I'm bored:

What's great about this game (and makes me kind of sad) is the sense of scale. It makes me sad because no other next-gen JRPGs that I can think of have succeeded in creating world as vast and fully formed.

There's a quote along the lines of brilliance is making something difficult look easy. This game does that. Big seamless environments that beg for exploration, engaging battle system, constant rewards, it's RPG 101 and it's sad few other console JRPGs this gen nailed it this well.

But this game is far from perfect. First of all, it's kind of fug. Sorry. I hate the character designs so much. The outfits on the cast are ridiculous. I keep hoping this new piece of loot will look less out-there, but that is often not the case. And the game in general is just OK-looking. And the soundtrack is ridiculously overrated. There has been maybe one track I've liked, and one of the field themes sounds like Abba's Dancing Queen. The music in general is unobtrusive, but I was expecting some epic tunes. That is not the case, IMO.

Secondly the cast is boring. OMG. They literally have nothing going for them except their british accents. Maybe they'll get more interesting later on. It's a good thing the game is so fun/addictive, because the story, while intriguing, isn't really a driving force for me.

Anyway, it's a great damn game, and I hope other studios take note, specifically of the actual "game" part. I think it's fine to have a linear story without bioware-style storytelling, just couch it in a game that lets you run around and explore, customize your characters, gives you freedom to play as you like in between cut scenes.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I suspect he's using dolphin emulator. Can uprender to HD.

Skills or Arts? I did max out Shulk's skills by game's end, and I maxed out some of his Arts, but there were some, particularly some of the less frequently used Monado Arts, that I did not. Other characters were less perfectly developed than Shulk, though I usually managed to max out most of their most frequently used abilities.

Speaking of skills, it's worth noting that if you complete all the skills in one branch of the skill tree for a character, it does NOT automatically start learned a new branch, so it's worth keeping an eye on it and making sure you're still learning the skills you want from battle (or any skills at all).

Other things about the Skill Tree to note is that any skill you have already learned on a character remains active for that character for the rest of the game, but each branch of the tree has its own innate effect as well, and that effect is only active when that branch of the tree is selected, so you can only have one active at any given time. This can also help you to prioritize which skills you want to focus on learning first.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Other things about the Skill Tree to note is that any skill you have already learned on a character remains active for that character for the rest of the game, but each branch of the tree has its own innate effect as well, and that effect is only active when that branch of the tree is selected, so you can only have one active at any given time. This can also help you to prioritize which skills you want to focus on learning first.

That's worth emphasizing. I remember some people had issues with that in the PAL OT, thinking that only the selected skill tree was active and anything they'd unlocked on the others wasn't in use.

Looking back, I think skill trees are one thing I wish I'd focused on more early on. I didn't really mess with them, thinking I would be okay just letting them finish out one at a time. Very bad idea, since you can unlock the first skill or two in each tree on each character relatively quickly, while later ones will take much, much longer. Especially early in the game.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
That's worth emphasizing. I remember some people had issues with that in the PAL OT, thinking that only the selected skill tree was active and anything they'd unlocked on the others wasn't in use.

Looking back, I think skill trees are one thing I wish I'd focused on more early on. I didn't really mess with them, thinking I would be okay just letting them finish out one at a time. Very bad idea, since you can unlock the first skill or two in each tree on each character relatively quickly, while later ones will take much, much longer. Especially early in the game.

This is what I did. There was just so much to the game, and so many menus, that I just left it alone. Now on this playthrough I'm trying to switch to obtain all the earlier ones and all the branches like you've said.

I also didn't realise there was a collect-o-pedia until I was 40 hours into the game on my first playthrough.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

If you're playing on Dolphin, I highly, highly, highly recommend a wired Xbox 360 controller.

You can map all of its buttons 1:1 with the CC Pro (though be careful, as the CC and Xbox reverse their button placements, i.e. B on the CC is where A is on the Xbox), and thanks to the D-pad and the left stick being switched around on the 360 controller compared to the CC, you have none of the issues with selecting arts while moving around that you might on the CC while still gaining all of the benefits of having the camera mapped to the right stick. It's the best possible control scheme for the game, one that solves the problems of both main control options while playing the game on the Wii.

Seanspeed

Banned
And the soundtrack is ridiculously overrated. There has been maybe one track I've liked, and one of the field themes sounds like Abba's Dancing Queen. The music in general is unobtrusive, but I was expecting some epic tunes. That is not the case, IMO.
Yea, I think I went in expecting a little too much on the music side. People have been raving about the music, and while its good, its nothing overly special to me. There hasn't been anything that I've been eager to listen to outside of when I'm playing the game, for example. I'm still only about 15 hours in, though. Maybe it'll grow on me? Its definitely a step above other JRPG's I've played this gen, I'll give it that. After the J-Pop nonsense that Final Fantasy has been putting out lately, I really shouldn't complain. :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
When the music is good, it's really damn good.

But a lot of the music is really "average." I think when people look back at the music they think of the highlights, and I guess that's a good thing. Certainly better than remembering the lows (which I don't really remember with Xenoblade at all).

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
When the music is good, it's really damn good.

But a lot of the music is really "average." I think when people look back at the music they think of the highlights, and I guess that's a good thing. Certainly better than remembering the lows (which I don't really remember with Xenoblade at all).

Feel this way about it too. Really, having a tough time remembering any of the tracks, except for the Leg Field one. When the music kicked in the 1st time, it's just "right." Sounds like a "richer/fuller" song. That bass/reverb noise :D

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There are a number of tracks I remember from the game. A couple of the night themes really stand out. And the second battle theme that's used in a later part of the game is pretty awesome in context.

I loved kicking some Mechon ass to Mechanical Rhythm without using Shulk or anti-Mechon weapons. I don't think I've ever felt like a bigger badass in a game than while I was doing that.

massoluk

Banned
Uh. So I double dipped for this game. Already finished the EU version, pre-ordered from Gamestop... Went in to get it and got artbook. What's the point of this artbook? The quality is nice and all, but why so few illustrations but nothing we couldn't find online and devoid of any interesting information or "the making of" artwork.

?

jorgeton

Yeah, but comparing it to ABBA? Harsh. And I like ABBA.

I didn't mean it as a bad thing. I just find myself singing dancing queen over the field theme. Dat string arrangement is like a note away from full-on plagiarism.

The one track I've liked is the night theme on colony 9, the rest haven't made any impact really.

Bisnic

Uh. So I double dipped for this game. Already finished the EU version, pre-ordered from Gamestop... Went in to get it and got artbook. What's the point of this artbook? The quality is nice and all, but why so few illustrations but nothing we couldn't find online and devoid of any interesting information or "the making of" artwork.

?

It's just a small bonus. It's not a Xenoblade Collector Edition or anything.

duncandun

Neo Member
So I finally found and traded for a brand new wired 360 controller so I could play this game easier. I'm about an hour into it(lol), but am having a little bit of trouble with the combat. Well, atleast I think i'm having trouble. Could be that I'm just not capable of taking out this monster.

My team is shulk and reyn atm, both level 6. I'm trying to kill some level 5 unique worm outside of colony 9. I can get him to about 30-40% health maybe 2/3rds or half the time. He has two moves, one of them hits for around 600-800 damage and knocks down, the other just hits for about 500. I've been performing topples, I do it whenever available. However I still can't beat him, he just does too much damage. So I studied the tutorials but there was nothing left for me to learn (atleast available to me at the time) so I guess I'm just too weak to do it. The fact that his level is lower than mine makes that hard to swallow though.

Other question, if anyone has any info on that. This one is related directly to dolphin.

Anyone have trouble selecting menu/art items with the dpad? for me it's incredibly erratic. I think this is due to me not pressing it exactly U/D/L/R, and because it's digital and capable of up/down at the same time(angled). So I'm not really sure how to fix this, basically makes selecting arts in combat sometimes very difficult.

anyway, great game so far. Liking the atmosphere and characters. Only complain is me not knowing where to go for certain quests. otherwise its great.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
So I finally found and traded for a brand new wired 360 controller so I could play this game easier. I'm about an hour into it(lol), but am having a little bit of trouble with the combat. Well, atleast I think i'm having trouble. Could be that I'm just not capable of taking out this monster.

My team is shulk and reyn atm, both level 6. I'm trying to kill some level 5 unique worm outside of colony 9. I can get him to about 30-40% health maybe 2/3rds or half the time. He has two moves, one of them hits for around 600-800 damage and knocks down, the other just hits for about 500. I've been performing topples, I do it whenever available. However I still can't beat him, he just does too much damage. So I studied the tutorials but there was nothing left for me to learn (atleast available to me at the time) so I guess I'm just too weak to do it. The fact that his level is lower than mine makes that hard to swallow though.

Other question, if anyone has any info on that. This one is related directly to dolphin.

Anyone have trouble selecting menu/art items with the dpad? for me it's incredibly erratic. I think this is due to me not pressing it exactly U/D/L/R, and because it's digital and capable of up/down at the same time(angled). So I'm not really sure how to fix this, basically makes selecting arts in combat sometimes very difficult.

anyway, great game so far. Liking the atmosphere and characters. Only complain is me not knowing where to go for certain quests. otherwise its great.

You're probably fighting him decently enough, but monsters, even equal, or lesser level than you can be trouble sometimes.. especially unique monsters. Either find some better equipment through drops, or buying.. or just wait until you gain one more level. A single level can make a massive difference.

Hiltz

A unique monster is always slightly stronger than its level suggests. I'd recommend usually leveling up 1-2 more times before attempting to take on unique monsters. Sometimes you'll need to equip a specific type of gem in order to counter the special ability of a unique monster. Also, remember to look at the color of a monster's name tag which indicates the threat level they present to your party. Black = weak, Blue = easy, White = normal, Yellow = Difficult, and Red = You don't stand a chance. The tougher the monster is ,as based by both level and color, then the lower chance you'll have to even be able to land an attack on them.

Evlar

Banned
Buying a Wii and this today.

Is wii mote fine to play on, or is classic controller preferred ?

I've done both and Wiimote is fine... It might seem a little weird if this is your first experience with Wii controls, though. CC will probably be more intuitive coming from PS360.

Bisnic

Classic controller is best for controlling the camera, but it force you to stop moving when you need to select Arts or browse the menu. Havent tried the wiimote, but i heard its the other way around for camera and arts/menu.

yami4ct

Great guide posted a while back on CCpro vs Wii remote

It's a question that's brought up a lot, and it's answered in brief in the OP:

But I suppose I'll make a more detailed explanation (with pictures!) in hopes that this post can be linked to rather than typing out variations on the same answer every time.

The Wii Remote/Nunchuk:

With the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, the camera is centered behind your party leader by tapping the c button, and manually controlled by holding down the c button and manipulating the camera with the d-pad. The game has an auto camera, but like nearly all 3D games there are major issues and manual camera control is a much better way to traverse the landscape. Obviously, this setup is functional but less than ideal.

eBGBm.jpg

The other major difference between the schemes is the ease of Art usage during battles. Arts are skills that are unique to every character and form the backbone of the battle system, so they are used very frequently. During battle, your Arts palette is displayed at the bottom of the screen (this image is taken from very early on in the game, so no Arts spoilers):

UTEb5.jpg

With the Wii Remote, you move the Arts cursor with the d-pad and select an Art with the A button. This works well, because it's simple to move your thumb between the d-pad and the A button. Your other hand is on the Nunchuk, so there's no control conflict between moving your character around during battle and moving the Arts cursor. Several playable characters have Arts that are location-based, so moving around easily during battle can be important depending on the situation.​

The CC/CCPro:

With the CC/CCPro, the camera is mapped to the right stick, like a traditional dual-stick setup, and centered by tapping the ZL button. The benefits to this setup are obvious, especially to people who are extremely finicky and love to have easy control over the camera at all times (like me).

1eqt3.jpg

Art usage is a bit more complicated, however. Because the d-pad and left stick are on the same side of the controller, selecting Arts while moving your character around is more clumsy and less natural than the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo. You have a few options:
  • You can do things one at a time, moving your character into position and then selecting the Art (or the other way around). It can get a bit frantic during fast-paced battles, but it works.
  • Or, you can do what I did and emulate the "claw" position made most famous on Monster Hunter games for the PSP. This involves keeping your thumb on the left stick and using your left index finger to select Arts:

oZ2xc.jpg

Essentially, the CC/CCPro has much nicer camera control at the expense of easy Art control during battles, and the Wii Remote/Nunchuk combo has easier Art control at the expense of simple camera controls. Both control schemes work fine, and neither of them break the game or make it unplayable. It's simply a matter of preference.

I think that deserves reposting as that question continues to get asked.

As for me, I'm playing with Classic Controller and vastly prefer it. I find I can easily select arts before moving into position, but I need that better camera control that the extra thumbstick provides. If you already own a classic controller, go ahead and give both a try. If not, try the wii-mote and if the camera control really bothers you, go ahead and buy the classic controller. It's all really just personal taste.

duncandun

Neo Member
You're probably fighting him decently enough, but monsters, even equal, or lesser level than you can be trouble sometimes.. especially unique monsters. Either find some better equipment through drops, or buying.. or just wait until you gain one more level. A single level can make a massive difference.

A unique monster is always slightly stronger than its level suggests. I'd suggest leveling up 1-2 more times before attempting to take on unique monsters. Also, remember to look at the color of a monster's name tag which helps you indicate the threat level of any monster. Black = weak, Blue = easy, White = normal, Yellow = Difficult, and Red = You don't stand a chance. The tougher the monster as based by color, then the harder it will be to even land a hit them.

thanks guys:) I thought I remembered reading earlier in this thread a similar discussion about the combat being too hard, and people saying it wasn't and that you're supposed to be able to fight uniques while below lower level than them. So I felt a little incompetent. Appreciate it! Gonna go kill some birds!

Top Bottom