• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

I just advise taking it slowly and ignoring the plot from time to time in favor of the innumerable other things to do.

That's not going to be easy for me since I am loving this game's story so far. About New game+ however...what can I expect from it? Does it have a system like in Tales of Graces where you spend grade based on how much you've done in the game? Or do you just keep your levels/skills/arts, etc?

That's not going to be easy for me since I am loving this game's story so far. About New game+ however...what can I expect from it? Does it have a system like in Tales of Graces where you spend grade based on how much you've done in the game? Or do you just keep your levels/skills/arts, etc?

I understand what you mean, I also have a hard time with plots that scream "World in Crisis, Hurry!" at me while the game itself invites me to stop, smell the roses, play a game of cards while the base is invaded, compete in some blitzball, never mind the monster of unrelenting DOOM, etc.

As to the NG+, almost everything carries over (other than plot related items). You even get to select a ton of inventory stuff to keep. Level carries, I don't think Affinity does though.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I understand what you mean, I also have a hard time with plots that scream "World in Crisis, Hurry!" at me while the game itself invites me to stop, smell the roses, play a game of cards while the base is invaded, compete in some blitzball, never mind the monster of unrelenting DOOM, etc.

As to the NG+, almost everything carries over (other than plot related items). You even get to select a ton of inventory stuff to keep. Level carries, I don't think Affinity does though.

Almost positive it does. I could be mistaken though. Edit: Just party affinity I mean. Area affinity should reset, since that goes along with quests.

Affinity coins carry over, which is cool since it gives even more options for skill links. Can get up to 999 by repeatedly going through NG+ and killing unique enemies.

Yeah, Dunban does good with Bleed Plus, especially since he uses Gale Slash to set up several of his other moves. Riki's does a metric ton of damage as well. The highest DoT I've ever seen though belongs to Melia, I got a 20,000 HP Poison DoT without doing a Chain Attack.

Back Attack 100% + Poison Plus 100% gems, then released an Earth summon behind the mob (IIRC it was a Deinos Saurus) after using Burst End. Needless to say he wasn't standing up for very long, especially since he had Chill/Flame DoTs from Melia and Bleed from Dunban.

Yeah, all the characters have a fourth
(and a fifth)
Skill Tree. You have to do certain quests to get them to unlock.

Oh, and chaosblade, thanks for the tip on saving and loading chests to get the drops instead of killing the mob for it. Finally got my Summon Ice and Steel Strike, now I just have to get a Fascia Bunniv to drop a gold one so I can farm it for Mind Blast, since I didn't get it off the one-time Unique Monster that had it. :/
I'm not totally sure on this, but one thing I've found is that you seem to get a higher drop rate for silver/gold chests when fighting enemies in groups rather than just single enemies.

Separate enemies who drop their own chests won't help (like the ones by Heavenly Window) but there are some other bunnivs running around in a circle in one area that I think are all part of the same mob (haven't checked, but since they all have the same movement pattern they probably are). If they are, you would probably have the best luck with those.

Determined this ages ago while trying to farm an item for a quest. Kept killing a group of 3 enemies and they would ALWAYS drop silver and gold chests, but I needed the brown chest item. I looked around and came across a single enemy of that type and was easily able to get the brown chests.

Croc

Banned
Once again I'm looking for a few tips for late game stuff. This time regarding advanced art books and training places.

First off, I'm wanting to get an advanced art book for Summon Copy. One of the uniques I can get it off of was in Agniratha which is gone now. The other is too high leveled for me with current stuff, and the last one is in a room on Prison Island. I was in this room once earlier, but now I can't figure out how to get back. It's in either the First or Second Sanctum. Either way, I can't figure out how to get back there.

Next question is for good places to train at level 83. I trained a bit in Alcamoth with the Telethia who are about 85-87, but I was just wondering if there was somewhere even better.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Once again I'm looking for a few tips for late game stuff. This time regarding advanced art books and training places.

First off, I'm wanting to get an advanced art book for Summon Copy. One of the uniques I can get it off of was in Agniratha which is gone now. The other is too high leveled for me with current stuff, and the last one is in a room on Prison Island. I was in this room once earlier, but now I can't figure out how to get back. It's in either the First or Second Sanctum. Either way, I can't figure out how to get back there.

Next question is for good places to train at level 83. I trained a bit in Alcamoth with the Telethia who are about 85-87, but I was just wondering if there was somewhere even better.

You can get there from the kitchen. Go down that walkway to the place where you raised the arena back up. Should be able to figure it out from there.

And regarding leveling up, Telethia are probably the best bet. They go higher than the levels you listed, up to 90 or 91 in the capital building. You should be good there until you're high enough level for Tephra Cave.

Croc

Banned
You can get there from the kitchen. Go down that walkway to the place where you raised the arena back up. Should be able to figure it out from there.

And regarding leveling up, Telethia are probably the best bet. They go higher than the levels you listed, up to 90 or 91 in the capital building. You should be good there until you're high enough level for Tephra Cave.

All right, thanks a bunch. I didn't even realize until I read your post that I never checked out the upstairs section hahahah.

Esura

Banned
I'm lv. 50 at Galahad Fortress and all the enemies seem to be above 51. Why is the levels increasing so fast? I've been doing a few quests on the side and they only seem to give me money.

At this point I just want to rush through so I can see the rest of the story.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm lv. 50 at Galahad Fortress and all the enemies seem to be above 51. Why is the levels increasing so fast? I've been doing a few quests on the side and they only seem to give me money.

At this point I just want to rush through so I can see the rest of the story.

You only have
one more "quest hub" area, and aside from that the other areas are very linear with little to no side quests. So rushing from that point should be easy.

I would recommend doing some quests in that hub area though, since one gives you an awesome reward
Monado Armor.

yeah you might have some trouble later on, especially against one boss in particular. i think you're roughly ten levels behind the average.

Probably 7-8 levels, but he's definitely going to have to do some leveling either way, because he's got level 70 bosses coming up and while that's doable at that level or just a bit higher, he's probably not set up for it (especially given the party he's using).

Javier

For those having trouble to detach themselves from the main story, I think that a great place to do so is after 7th joins, and after a whole series of events, the whole team gets reunited. Then 7th and another team member will leave for a short while, but you get them both back soon. At that point the story "calms down" for a bit so it's a good moment to take a break and start doing all those pending sidequests, raise affinities, go for the Heart-to-Hearts, and start the whole Colony 6 stuff.

I've been doing nothing but side stuff for the past 20 hours. It's amazing how much stuff was packed into this game. Collectathons done RIGHT.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Got the rest of the skill trees, as well as a few other misc things. Got the
Sedna Drones
for 7th which is awesome, hate that is has no slot though. Also got a couple art books I was missing.

Got another Night Vision V gem from Ancient Daedala, Dolphin must have screwed me in the first attempt since he was just 1HKOing everyone with normal attacks and using arts without visions, also 1HKOing people. But I gave him hell when I tried again.

Tomorrow I guess I'll finish off the remaining unique enemes, then Avalanche Abaasy II: Now With 100% Less Topple.

And regarding that item for 7th, it actually makes the battle for the best talent art closer than I thought. Total damage between the two for me is within 300 points, well within a "margin of error" during the attacks. Around 14000 base damage, can't complain about that. Not sure if Blossom Dance can crit, I know
Sword Drones
can which can further boost damage. Honestly I'm just glad to be rid of
Cannon Drones
, that was useless against high level enemies.

Edit: Beaten every unique monster in the game. But Abaasy won't respawn :(

Edit2: Finally got him to respawn. Beat Abaasy again. No topple. No chain attacks. Level 79. Got really intense toward the end since it took a while and night ended. Also failed to prevent his crazed AND awakening auras which really hurt, but I managed to survive it. I got a video, but my attempts to fix the framerate problems while recording didn't do any good.

I am 43 hours in and just reached the capital on Mechonis. Am I doing it wrong?
Lol, I'm at the exact same point as you and I'm at ~93 hours. Doing it right or wrong is pretty subjective. It's your game; play it how you want. Plus, it isn't going anywhere so you can always do another playthrough where you go slower.

Yeah, all the characters have a fourth
(and a fifth)
Skill Tree. You have to do certain quests to get them to unlock.
Certain quests, eh? Are they all available during the main game? I guess I'll go back and look for some more quests. Any hints on where to find them?

Exeunt

Certain quests eh? Are they all available during the main game? I guess I'll go back and look for some more quests. Any hints on where to find them?

I think that
you still have to complete the area you are in plus one more in order for the fifth skill trees to become available. These mostly require you to fight high-level monsters, so you should probably beat the final boss before trying them unless you want to be massively overlevelled.
The skill trees you're after should all be available to you at this point I believe; generally if you get a quest that requires a certain character to accept it, you unlock a skill tree revealing one of their qualities. There might be an area affinity requirement or story progression point to unlock the quests, but you should definitely be fine for the latter. As for hints/general locations, the skill trees are generally unlocked in an area that is somehow significant to the character. The exceptions are
Reyn, whose skill tree is unlocked in Colony 6 after you move some people there from Alcamoth and Frontier Village, Dunban's, which is given by an NPC in Valak Mountain, and Sharla's, which is given near the Sacred Altar in Frontier Village
. If you want more substantial locations:
Shulk's is in Colony 9 at night, Melia's is in Eryth Sea (not Alcamoth and I don't know time of day but there are few NPCs there), Riki's is in Frontier Village at night, and Fiora's is in the Hidden Machina Village (don't remember if it's day or night but the area is pretty small)
. You might have to raise your affinity in some of those areas to unlock the quests though, so they might not be accessible right away.

"Post-game" spoilers past this point.

As for me, I unlocked
the fifth skill trees for everyone except for Fiora and Riki, but I have the quest for the latter at least
. I'm at level 90 right now after killing a whole bunch of unique monsters and
wiping out a whole bunch of Telethia in Alcamoth
. I'm getting near the quest which allows me to find
the third Giants' Treasure
as I have discovered
Shura and the tomb in Tephra Cave.
I've found a fair few Art books at this point as well, and I'm not finding a whole bunch of new quests to do. It looks right now like I'll be fighting some level 90+ uniques. The strongest one I've toppled was 93 at this point; I'm no chaosblade by any means. Luckily I've found some better weapons and armour for the characters I actually use, so that's really helpful. I suppose I'll have to start crafting some more gems soon, but I still need to up my affinity with Reyn and Sharla before the entire party's relations are improved.

And regarding that item for 7th, it actually makes the battle for the best talent art closer than I thought. Total damage between the two for me is within 300 points, well within a "margin of error" during the attacks. Around 14000 base damage, can't complain about that. Not sure if Blossom Dance can crit, I know
Sword Drones
can which can further boost damage. Honestly I'm just glad to be rid of
Cannon Drones
, that was useless against high level enemies.

I got that item a little while ago as well, and
Sword Drones X
seems pretty amazing. I always preferred
Sword Drones
to
Cannon Drones
but the better equipment I came across
always gave me the latter, and Fiora seems like a pretty great attacker in her own right so I just went with it.

Awesome, thanks for the info man. Looks like I got some sidequesting to do! I'm at a good stopping point in the story (I'm at the entrance to the capital but I haven't walked in yet) so this is the perfect time to do it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding those, a few of them can be obtained before you beat the final boss without too much trouble.

You can get Shulk's very early on (before the final boss, easily) since it doesn't require you to kill any strong monsters or anything. Dunban's as well, it just requires you to beat some upper 70s enemies I think? Sharla's can also be done really easily IIRC, but I think Colony 6 needs to be very close to completion and affinity needs to be somewhere between 4 and 5 stars.

Some are more difficult to get and will probably have to wait until you're in the 90s.

Riki's requires you to kill a level 96 unique, Reyn requires you to kill a variety of normal enemies in the mid-90s to collect items, Melia's actual quest for it doesn't require much work at all, but to get an item you need to do the quest you have to fight an enemy in the upper 80s or lower 90s. And Fiora requires you to kill two level 98 uniques.

aceface

Is there anywhere on the internet that has a good summary of the plot for this game? I'm playing it again now for the first time since last November (got busy) and I've forgotten some of the finer points about what happened. I'm 30 hours in, just reached that high Entia capital.

McNum

Is there anywhere on the internet that has a good summary of the plot for this game? I'm playing it again now for the first time since last November (got busy) and I've forgotten some of the finer points about what happened. I'm 30 hours in, just reached that high Entia capital.

Let me handle that for you.

(Spoilers up to what he said.)
Shulk lived in Colony 9 with his friends Reyn and Fiora. Until the night where the mechon attack, Shulk picked up the Monado, and Fiora got killed by a mechon with a Face. Shulk swears revenge and sets off with Ryen to hunt down the Faced Mechon.

Shulk learns he can see into the future and beats up a giant spider. They meet Sharla whose bother Juju has gone missing. They help her find him, and battle a giant mechon, where Shulk learns for to use the Monado to move really fast. Another faced mechon appears.

Shulk and the group go to Colony 6, which has been taken over by the mechon. After a dungeon crawl, they fight the new faced mechon and kill it. The Monado apparently has a weakness as it cannot easily cut faced mechon.

As they exit the area, they get ambushed, but Dunban bails them out. You recruit Dunban and start to head off to the jungle. Here you find a wounded young woman, who is in need of an ether infusion. Telethia attack Shulk, but Alvis teaches Shulk a new trick with the Monado. The young woman is saved, and she presents herself as Melia, who is out to kill a Telethia. Didn't go well for her.

They head to the Nopon village, where they seek passage to the Eyryth Sea. But Melia's Telethia problem is still there, so the Nopon assign Heropon Riki to help the team slay the Dino-Beast.

The Telethia is downed, and the team, including Riki, is granted passage to the Eyryth Sea, where they find their way to Alcamoth, home of the High Entia.

And that's about where you are, I think. Depending on how much you've done in the area you are in.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Not sure of anything detailed, unless the Wikia site has a lot of story info, but chances are you'll run into spoilers reading details there.

A quick rundown:

Dunban kicks Mechon ass with the Monado with his war buddies, his right arm ends up paralyzed.

Mechon attack Colony 9 while Shulk, Reyn and Fiora are getting the ether cylinders. "Metal Face" kills Fiora, Shulk and Reyn set out for revenge.

Shulk learns Monado Shield against the spider and saves Reyn.

You meet Juju on Bionis Leg, save him, meet Sharla. Juju runs away to try to save Colony 6 residents. Your party follows and Shulk sees Juju and Sharla dying. They meet Xord, who kidnaps Juju, and follow him to Colony 6.

You go through the ether mines and find Xord, beat him, save Juju and Otharon.

Metal Face shows up afterward with a hoard of Xord-like faced mechon. Dunban and Dickson arrive and help fight off Mechon until a Telethia appears and saves you. It then returns to Alvis and communicates with him somehow.

Not a lot happens in the Marsh, and at the end your party guests leave and Dickson mumbles something about hating to "lead these kids on like this."

You go to Makna Forest and find Melia passed out due to ether deficiency. Shulk goes to get the necessary ether crystal and meets Alvis, who teaches him how to use Purge against the Telethia to counter Soul Read (that's the thing they do that makes you miss them constantly).

Shulk returns and they revive Melia, then go to Frontier Village and meet Riki, then you hunt the Telethia down. After beating it you go to Eryth Sea, then Alcamoth.

Tons of stuff happens there, but I'm not sure how much further I can go without spoiling anything. If you want anymore details about something you can ask and somebody will probably respond.

Unrelated: Beat Abaasy again without chain attacks or intentional toppling (damn Final Cross insta-topple, should have removed that art). Still level 79 of course. Got a good video though without framerate or sound issues. Also shorter, didn't run into problems with night ending. Didn't even bother trying to purge his auras, just outlived them.

Will link it once it's transcoded and uploaded.

aceface

Wow, thanks for the rundown guys! Just a few questions...

That one faced Mechon you beat down in the Ether Mines...Xord I guess it was? He said some interesting foreshadowing things I can't quite remember, like "it was easier when I didn't have a face"...maybe it was nothing like that but I remember it being very interesting.

I'm also a bit confused about the Telethia and Alvis...I thought that the Telethia were good? Didn't one save the party at one point on Bionis's Leg or am I remembering that incorrectly? But the first thing I did when I started up the game again was kill that Telethia with Melia (the Dino-beast). Also, is Dickson still alive? I couldn't remember if he died or something trying to save us.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, thanks for the rundown guys! Just a few questions...

That one faced Mechon you beat down in the Ether Mines...Xord I guess it was? He said some interesting foreshadowing things I can't quite remember, like "it was easier when I didn't have a face"...maybe it was nothing like that but I remember it being very interesting.

I'm also a bit confused about the Telethia and Alvis...I thought that the Telethia were good? Didn't one save the party at one point on Bionis's Leg or am I remembering that incorrectly? But the first thing I did when I started up the game again was kill that Telethia with Melia (the Dino-beast). Also, is Dickson still alive? I couldn't remember if he died or something trying to save us.

Xord said something along those lines. It was "before I became like this."

Dickson is alive. And telethia aren't really good or bad in particular. The game talks about them more as it goes on.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I just got the game, should I play it with the classic controller or the normal Wilmote?

Personal preference. Both have their pros and cons. It's mentioned in the FAQ in the OP.

CC/CCPro has better camera control, but it's harder to move and select arts at the same time in battle. Wii Remote has poor camera control, but you can move and select arts more easily.

Neither are huge issues. I prefer the CCPro, and most others seem to feel similarly.

And my Abaasy video is done. Same spoilers as before, big ones up to Fa
llen
A
rm
. Small ones for minor things after that. And the framerate is better this time!

Shortened URL to keep it from displaying a spoiler in mobile GAF or with userscripts.

http://bit.ly/KiuiFN

Guys, I just got the game, should I play it with the classic controller or the normal Wilmote?

I actually went with the wiimote/chuck over the classic controller since I prioritized ease of moving and selecting attacks in combat over camera control. Camera control with this set up requires holding down a button then using the d-pad to move the camera, a bit awkward at first but it quickly becomes trivial.

Regarding those, a few of them can be obtained before you beat the final boss without too much trouble.

You can get Shulk's very early on (before the final boss, easily) since it doesn't require you to kill any strong monsters or anything. Dunban's as well, it just requires you to beat some upper 70s enemies I think? Sharla's can also be done really easily IIRC, but I think Colony 6 needs to be very close to completion and affinity needs to be somewhere between 4 and 5 stars.

Some are more difficult to get and will probably have to wait until you're in the 90s.

Riki's requires you to kill a level 96 unique, Reyn requires you to kill a variety of normal enemies in the mid-90s to collect items, Melia's actual quest for it doesn't require much work at all, but to get an item you need to do the quest you have to fight an enemy in the upper 80s or lower 90s. And Fiora requires you to kill two level 98 uniques.

Thanks for the heads up. I got Dunban's 4th last night. Probably took me around 3 hours in all. Then I went to Colony 9 to find Shulk's, but I was unsuccessful. I completed every quest available to me except one (
the one where you have to raise affinity between 2 female characters
) so I'm not really sure what to do now. I ended up going to Colony 6 to look for quests, but I think I have to rebuild it more (it's only level 1).

I actually went with the wiimote/chuck over the classic controller since I prioritized ease of moving and selecting attacks in combat over camera control. Camera control with this set up requires holding down a button then using the d-pad to move the camera, a bit awkward at first but it quickly becomes trivial.
I also use the Wiimote and I have had no problems.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the heads up. I got Dunban's 4th last night. Probably took me around 3 hours in all. Then I went to Colony 9 to find Shulk's, but I was unsuccessful. I completed every quest available to me except one (
the one where you have to raise affinity between 2 female characters
) so I'm not really sure what to do now. I ended up going to Colony 6 to look for quests, but I think I have to rebuild it more (it's only level 1).

I also use the Wiimote and I have had no problems.

If you want specifics, it's
Emmy Leater's quest chain.

Edit: Oh, wait, you mean for the 4th tree? That's
from Desiree, at night by the gem guy.
You need almost max affinity with the area at that point in the game. Talk to every named NPC twice, since sometimes they'll give you a little extra affinity. Just getting that tiny boost by talking to someone might be enough to make it activate.

Alright I'll get on it. I think I have 3/5 stars right now, which is weird since I've done so many quests there. The only 4th's I'm really interested in right now are Shulk's and 7th's, since they're the characters I play most. Unless one of the other characters has a really easy one like Dunban's, I'll probably wait until later.

TunaLover

Hey guys, late to the party =P
Just say that it's the FIRST game that I actually enjoy doing quest, damn there is so much to do in this game, it's really massive.

A little gameplay update today.

Level: 66
Playtime: 100h 39m

So I finally broke 100 hours. :) I've progressed about 10 minutes in the main story since my last update (
I'm at the Mechonis capital and just watched the cutscene where Lady Meyneth explains how the Bionis attacked them
). My main achievement is that I managed to get enough Colony 9 affinity to acquire Shulk's 4th skill tree. I also got
Monado Armor
afterward, which is awesome. That probably took around 4 hours in all.

Now I'm at F
allen
A
rm
doing quests so I can get 7th's 4th skill tree. I decided to really switch my party up and use an
all girl's team
, so I'm using Melia, Sharla and 7th. Melia is by far my least played character so it'll be a nice change of pace. Plus, this way I'll easily knock out that Colony 9 quest where you have to raise affinity between 2 female characters. :p It'll also be nice for the skill links between Melia and Sharla, which really compliment each other well.

A couple questions to end on, before I forget to ask:

1. I know DoTs don't stack when the same character uses them (e.g., if Melia releases 2 Summon Flares in a row the burn damage won't stack), but what about 2 different characters? As in, if Dunban uses Gale Slash and Riki uses Bitey Bitey, do both DoTs work or can there only be 1 bleed on the enemy at once?

2. What's up with the Blaze Attack gem? I have a level IV one and the damage seems really weak, and it's activated on a X% chance. It seems useless when compared with the Lightning Attack gem, which does more damage and on every single hit. Am I missing something here?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
A little gameplay update today.

Level: 66
Playtime: 100h 39m

So I finally broke 100 hours. :) I've progressed about 10 minutes in the main story since my last update (
I'm at the Mechonis capital and just watched the cutscene where Lady Meyneth explains how the Bionis attacked them
). My main achievement is that I managed to get enough Colony 9 affinity to acquire Shulk's 4th skill tree. I also got
Monado Armor
afterward, which is awesome. That probably took around 4 hours in all.

Now I'm at F
allen
A
rm
doing quests so I can get 7th's 4th skill tree. I decided to really switch my party up and use an
all girl's team
, so I'm using Melia, Sharla and 7th. Melia is by far my least played character so it'll be a nice change of pace. Plus, this way I'll easily knock out that Colony 9 quest where you have to raise affinity between 2 female characters. :p It'll also be nice for the skill links between Melia and Sharla, which really compliment each other well.

A couple questions to end on, before I forget to ask:

1. I know DoTs don't stack when the same character uses them (e.g., if Melia releases 2 Summon Flares in a row the burn damage won't stack), but what about 2 different characters? As in, if Dunban uses Gale Slash and Riki uses Bitey Bitey, do both DoTs work or can there only be 1 bleed on the enemy at once?

2. What's up with the Blaze Attack gem? I have a level IV one and the damage seems really weak. Especially when compared with the Lightning Attack gem, which I actually like even though it's completely outclassed by Haste and Double Attack gems. It's fun to mess around with, especially when combined with Enchant for maximum extra auto attack damage.

1. DoT damage of the same type doesn't stack at all. The game either uses whichever deals the most damage, or whichever is most recent, I haven't really tested to see which though. I'd guess most recent.

2. I never really used those gems, save for the occasional use of Lightning Attack. If they add a blaze DoT that would make it useful, but I was under the impression it's just a one off thing.

Thanks for the speedy reply. You even got in before my stealth edit on the 2nd question. ;)

That sucks to hear about the DoTs. I'll have to remember that next time I use Riki and Dunban on the same team.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the speedy reply. You even got in before my stealth edit on the 2nd question. ;)

That sucks to hear about the DoTs. I'll have to remember that next time I use Riki and Dunban on the same team.

Yeah, I should probably be sleeping since I have to work later, but I can't. So get on GAF and check my subs, oh hey, someone posted in the Xenoblade topic. It's a question, I'll answer it! And that's generally how it goes.

And that's why I usually only use Lurgy and Freezinate on the rare occasions I go with Riki. Melia deals with Blaze damage, Dunban deals with Bleed. Riki gets the other two DoTs. I try not to rely on DoTs though, I guess I'm just the old school type that finds it fun to overpower things with brawn and not brains. Thus the Shulk/Dunban/7th setup on Abaasy even though Riki(or Melia)/Shulk/Sharla is arguably the "easiest" party to fight stronger enemies with.

/insert Reyn/Melia/Sharla party quote

Yeah, I should probably be sleeping since I have to work later, but I can't. So get on GAF and check my subs, oh hey, someone posted in the Xenoblade topic. It's a question, I'll answer it! And that's generally how it goes.
I know that feel bro. I'm at work and I just cycle through my subs until I realize that it's been 2 hours and I haven't gotten anything done.

And that's why I usually only use Lurgy and Freezinate on the rare occasions I go with Riki. Melia deals with Blaze damage, Dunban deals with Bleed. Riki gets the other two DoTs. I try not to rely on DoTs though, I guess I'm just the old school type that finds it fun to overpower things with brawn and not brains. Thus the Shulk/Dunban/7th setup on Abaasy even though Riki/Shulk/Sharla is arguably the "easiest" party to fight stronger enemies with.

/insert Reyn/Melia/Sharla party quote

Well the problem with Riki is that I never control him when he's in my party — I mainly use him for his awesome silver and gold chest drop rate buff, which really helps with a lot of quests. I remember reading here that Riki never uses his AoE moves when the AI controls him, so I never even bothered putting Lurgy or Burninate on his arts list. So the only DoTs I have him using are Bitey Bitey and Freezinate.

Alright. I made it to
the interior of the Bionis
Let me just spoiler-tag everything plot related.

Holy frigging plot-twist Batman! I knew that there was some foreshadowing going on in other scenes, but nothing THAT big. Anyways, after a huge amount of cutscenes, I'm now level 70 and am at the door of the Bionis' heart after getting kicked out by that assasin-sending bitch from before. I also realized that I should have leveled up a lot in that city and did all the quests there before fighting Egil. (Seriously, the developers should have put up a warning of some sorts before that happened). So I figure I should do those quests to upgrade the new Monado. Any ideas on which one should I get?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright. I made it to
the interior of the Bionis
Let me just spoiler-tag everything plot related.

Holy frigging plot-twist Batman! I knew that there was some foreshadowing going on in other scenes, but nothing THAT big. Anyways, after a huge amount of cutscenes, I'm now level 70 and am at the door of the Bionis' heart after getting kicked out by that assasin-sending bitch from before. I also realized that I should have leveled up a lot in that city and did all the quests there before fighting Egil. (Seriously, the developers should have put up a warning of some sorts before that happened). So I figure I should do those quests to upgrade the new Monado. Any ideas on which one should I get?

I see you fixed the spoiler.

Monado Abyss is the best replica, IMO. I think you get that from quest 3. Dogma would be for the 25% critical rate, but it only has two slots. You probably won't get any of them until after you beat the game though, since they all require you to beat enemies in the 80s and 90s for the necessary items.

In fact, most of the new things that opened up for you at that point are "post-game" content, intended for you to tackle after the final boss. Keep a save at the (very obvious) point of no return since you can't continue the file after the final boss otherwise.

Been playing the game for some time now. Live in Europe but didn't get the game until now.

I'm lvl 60 and around 80 hours into the game.

Loving the game so so much. Probably one of the best experiences I've had on Wii lately.
I've spend a shitload of hours ever since I got to F
llen
A
arm
, doing quests, rebuilding the colony, greafting, trading, finding collectables etc. I've done all quests that I had available and the few new ones I ran into in the previous areas. Got a 5 star affinity with FV which was unexpected. Thought I would get 5* with colony 9 first. Can't wait to continue to story (and new quests) in the current area.

One thing I wish was a map of creatures close to your team lvl. I often run into unique monsters in a previous area, but as I'm overpowered they kinda lose the 'unique' feeling. I guess I could write down everytime I run into UM that I cannot beat.

Also I think I understand pretty much all aspects of combat and so on, except for Skill Link. I'm kinda confused about which member I'm helping when linking the skills. Also I'm not quite sure wether I'm copying a skill of a member to another, or if I'm linking new skills?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody experienced with Gecko/Ocarina codes? I know Starwolf_UK kind of is. I'd really like to figure out a way to change my level to mess around with things. I figured a negative exp multipler would work to lower my level, but I never did get it working properly.

Been playing the game for some time now. Live in Europe but didn't get the game until now.

I'm lvl 60 and around 80 hours into the game.

Loving the game so so much. Probably one of the best experiences I've had on Wii lately.
I've spend a shitload of hours ever since I got to F
llen
A
arm
, doing quests, rebuilding the colony, greafting, trading, finding collectables etc. I've done all quests that I had available and the few new ones I ran into in the previous areas. Got a 5 star affinity with FV which was unexpected. Thought I would get 5* with colony 9 first. Can't wait to continue to story (and new quests) in the current area.

One thing I wish was a map of creatures close to your team lvl. I often run into unique monsters in a previous area, but as I'm overpowered they kinda lose the 'unique' feeling. I guess I could write down everytime I run into UM that I cannot beat.

Also I think I understand pretty much all aspects of combat and so on, except for Skill Link. I'm kinda confused about which member I'm helping when linking the skills. Also I'm not quite sure wether I'm copying a skill of a member to another, or if I'm linking new skills?

Different colored dots for enemies that are weak/around your level/strong would be interesting, but combined with existing colors for NPCs and key characters, it might be confusing.

And skill links are pretty simple. You're adding skills to the character whose page you're filling in. So if you're on Shulk's skill link page, and use his affinity coins to select a skill from one of Reyn's skill trees, Shulk will now have that skill too.

Exeunt

More "post-game" stuff. Had one of the most intense battles I have experienced last night; it was for the
Battling Brutes
quest. Those Spike effects were pretty brutal... I think there are gems to counter them but I didn't have any equipped at the time so my only defence was
Monado Purge
. I was using
Shulk, Fiora, and Riki
and one of those characters isn't so good with Spike damage, which made the first fight rather tricky. The second was incredibly intense, probably since I made it so hard on myself; I
had to spam Monado Purge as much as I could and also counter the Talent Art visions... Without the skill that fills up my Talent Guage when I have a vision. AI Shulk never seems to use Monado Purge and Daze made us sitting ducks when it wasn't in effect... What I ended up doing was calling Riki and Fiora to me when Purge ran out and I needed a Shield up so they could encourage me while I filled up my Talent Guage.
. I know there would've been easier ways to approach that fight, but that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I'm now at level 94 with all the skill trees unlocked and just a few quests left (I think).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
More "post-game" stuff. Had one of the most intense battles I have experienced last night; it was for the
Battling Brutes
quest. Those Spike effects were pretty brutal... I think there are gems to counter them but I didn't have any equipped at the time so my only defence was
Monado Purge
. I was using
Shulk, Fiora, and Riki
and one of those characters isn't so good with Spike damage, which made the first fight rather tricky. The second was incredibly intense, probably since I made it so hard on myself; I
had to spam Monado Purge as much as I could and also counter the Talent Art visions... Without the skill that fills up my Talent Guage when I have a vision. AI Shulk never seems to use Monado Purge and Daze made us sitting ducks when it wasn't in effect... What I ended up doing was calling Riki and Fiora to me when Purge ran out and I needed a Shield up so they could encourage me while I filled up my Talent Guage.
. I know there would've been easier ways to approach that fight, but that kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. I'm now at level 94 with all the skill trees unlocked and just a few quests left (I think).

That quest was really interesting in my case. Unfortunately, it didn't quite pan out how I hoped it would when things got crazy. Remember, I was level 79.

I had the right gems for the fights, so the spike effects weren't the problem. I started fighting the Gogol... but ended up in a fight with both at the same time. The spider's web was annoying, since I didn't have my usual debuff resist gems, and it made it really hard to revive/encourage characters when they needed it.

Dunban tanked the hell out of the fight, it was immensely impressive, I was trying to have him maintain aggro between the two of them by having the party switch between them occasionally. Had Shulk's "fill gauge on vision" skill which helped a lot, but in the end it all wasn't enough. The Gogol did go down, but the spider took me out when it was at around 1/4 HP. It's most devastating attacks were it's normal ones which don't give visions, the slow-web made it hard to revive allies, and daytime hit so my accuracy was too low to keep Monado Armor up consistantly enough to keep Dunban alive anymore.

Of course, if I HAD been successful on that attempt, I can only imagine how depressed I'd feel for not getting a good video.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So how many of kept/played as Shulk for your playthrough?

People have been telling me to switch him out for another party member but I hate not having the MC in the party.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So how many of kept/played as Shulk for your playthrough?

People have been telling me to switch him out for another party member but I hate not having the MC in the party.

Shulk is a great character, and probably the best support and even all-around character in the game once you've gotten most or all of the Monado arts. That's why I mained him during my low-level post-game journey.

But it's a long game, especially if you do a lot of the optional content. Most people get bored just using Shulk after a while, and every character and party plays differently.

The main reason to switch things up is to increase affinity between party members though. The fact that system is in place and is used for a lot of different things (from skill links to gem crafting, even to the chance of continuing chain attacks) is a clear indicator that you weren't really intended to use Shulk for everything.

Ra1den

Im around 30 hours in, have just got to
Alcamoth

I don't really know who i should use for my party. I really love
Dunban and would like to use him in my party, but I learned that Riki is the best character and feel like I should use him instead even though I don't really like him.

My other two people are Shulk and Sharla. Sharla because I feel I should have a good healer.

Any recommendations? How about Shulk/Riki/Dunban, would I get screwed from lack of healing?
Also, what about affinity? Is it difficult to get maximum affinity between all of the characters? I'd like to see as many Heart2hearts as possible.

The main reason to switch things up is to increase affinity between party members though. The fact that system is in place and is used for a lot of different things (from skill links to gem crafting, even to the chance of continuing chain attacks) is a clear indicator that you weren't really intended to use Shulk for everything.
Pretty much. And it's not like they created all those fun arts just to be wasted on AI.

I used Shulk/Reyn/Sharla
then around
Makna Forest
changed to Riki/Melia/Sharla
and again to Dunban/Shulk/Melia around
Valak Mountains
(or perhaps an area later) up to where I am now
Fallen Arm

So far Melia and Riki has been the most fun for me to control as they are much more varied compared to when I used Shulk initially (he was pretty much just ploughing through the enemies with his large damage).

The current team has been somewhat of a chore to play with. I dislike controlling Dunban and is only doing it for the sake of affinity and just to spice things up.

I recently reorganized a lot of the party members' arts and I can't wait to play as Riki again and also Reyn (oh and of course the 7th)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Im around 30 hours in, have just got to
Alcamoth

I don't really know who i should use for my party. I really love
Dunban and would like to use him in my party, but I learned that Riki is the best character and feel like I should use him instead even though I don't really like him.

My other two people are Shulk and Sharla. Sharla because I feel I should have a good healer.

Any recommendations? How about Shulk/Riki/Dunban, would I get screwed from lack of healing?
Also, what about affinity? Is it difficult to get maximum affinity between all of the characters? I'd like to see as many Heart2hearts as possible.

You don't need a dedicated healer as long as you plan for the fact you won't have one, you can cover healing with gems and skills/skill links, plus Shulk and Riki have healing arts that are sufficient in the vast majority of situations. When they aren't, it's not a matter of "needing a healer" so much as your strategy just didn't work. (I don't really want to keep "bragging" about it, but I did do all the post-game content including beating the level 100+ enemies at level 79/80, and I did it without using Sharla for the entire playthrough except where required by the game. Just to throw an example of the possibilities out there)

Essentially any party combination can be successful, but again, you'll have to put some thought into the less straightforward ones to work each character around the others' strengths. If you don't feel like you know the game well enough, then a DPS(Shulk,Melia,Riki)/Tank(Dunban,Reyn)/Healer(Sharla) setup is pretty much foolproof, if a bit boring.

And getting affinity between characters up is easy as long as you change out party members often. It's even easier if you fight unique enemies with topple/daze/sleep/low tension spikes, and those ether nebula enemies since a lot of them lower tension when you use physical attacks on them. That can lead to lots of opportunities to assist or encourage party members which increases affinity quickly.

Edit: And regarding the character you mentioned being the best, it's really up for debate who the BEST character is. It's all in how you use them.
Riki (and Melia) have powerful ether arts that also inflict damage over time (poison, chill, etc) and these ether arts are more accurate than physical attacks. This makes them good for fighting enemies that are higher level than you. It's negligible when fighting enemies of similar level though. Riki also has the HP to tank, but his defense is kind of weak and his agility doesn't make him a great avoidance tank like Dunban. Gets the job done with Sharla around though.

Top Bottom