• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| Sorry I Kept You Waiting!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. Int probably refers to integer as in whole number. Usually these things work by ignoring decimals (so 5-7 total weight means the same as 4) rather than rounding but sometimes it can ignore the other way round (so 5-7 would be the same as 8).

Slightly anecdotal but against a level 72 boss (with a level 66 party), I was manning Reyn and my auto attacks missed (quite a lot...all of them, can't recall) but Bone Upper seemed to hit much more constantly so possibly its the same accuracy formula for both arts and auto-attacks.

IIRC bleed damage gets multiplied as well so Gigaslash is better later on in the chain.

It's possible evasion rate is your rate of evading the enemy. And accuracy is for arts and auto-attacks, and auto-attacks just don't have the art level * 5 part. It's confusing when you can't really read the language.

And Gale Slash usually ends up being a middle attack for a chain for me, with Soaring Tempest and Blossom Dance at the end if possible since they deal a ton of damage (especially Blossom Dance, it can hit 100k on enemies around my level at max chain IIRC).

More ending discussion...

I found the idea of the whole universe resetting as a really cool way of explaining the magic/premonitions concepts. The very rules of the universe were rewritten due to Zanza's experiment (2+2 = 5), it now is a magical world now. Seeing as Xenoblade already had a decent amount of "science" in it (Telethia genetics or the Monado) I felt the idea fit the story pretty well.

I also love that in Xenoblade "Earth" is more of a deal to the player then it is to the cast of the game. There is no 30 minute cautionary tale of the dangers of science or anything of the sort, it is just a plot point that connects the player to the world. Jupiter popping up as a location was a great surprise.

Though I do agree that the "Earth" concept, in general, can be (and usually is) pretty terrible.

I didn't have a problem with the alternate Earth thing, it probably would have bothered me more if it was less well executed.

And I've brought this up a couple times before, but I don't really think they did a good job maintaining consistency throughout the story. I thought it was brilliant on my first playthrough how despite the huge shifts and twists, everything still managed to fit together and make sense.

On my second playthrough... I realized it's not as impressive as I thought. They specifically go out of their way to write Alvis to be a confusing character. None of the "seer" stuff is explained well enough to do anything more than throw the player off track. Sure, it technically fits, but it's still intentionally confusing (being from a long line of seers, touching the Monado to gain their power, etc). Vanea also did a crappy job explaining what was going when you first meet her and only makes things more confusing, but at least it gets cleared up quickly in Agniratha. There are other instances where a character would go out of there way to be unclear for the sake of leading the player on, but I can't remember any off the top of my head.

It's still an enjoyable story though, it just doesn't fit together nearly as well a second time around when you have all the answers. And curiously enough what I didn't realize the first time is how it kind of left things open for a sequel. Miquol is still quite the suspicious character (1. He was on good terms with Dickson, 2. He had the same goal Dickson and Zanza did (kill Egil, despite being his son, albeit supposedly for different reasons), 3. He wasn't the least bit concerned about the Monado or Shulk despite seemingly understanding what was going on), and there's the whole "infinite world" to explore with all those people Shulk and co haven't met.

More ending discussion...

I found the idea of the whole universe resetting as a really cool way of explaining the magic/premonitions concepts. The very rules of the universe were rewritten due to Zanza's experiment (2+2 = 5), it now is a magical world now. Seeing as Xenoblade already had a decent amount of "science" in it (Telethia genetics or the Monado) I felt the idea fit the story pretty well.

This I don't have a problem, but connecting it to our exact reality is too unbelievable and how it happened too silly for me.

I also love that in Xenoblade "Earth" is more of a deal to the player then it is to the cast of the game. There is no 30 minute cautionary tale of the dangers of science or anything of the sort...

This is a pet peeve of mine and I despise it every time it pops up. Science is simply the pursuit of understanding the world we live in. There is no danger here. Danger can come from politics or technology or capitalistic interests that make use of the knowledge, but science is just the pushing back of ignorance. Every time I see the scientist playing god trope pop up I want to punch somebody.

...it is just a plot point that connects the player to the world. Jupiter popping up as a location was a great surprise.

Though I do agree that the "Earth" concept, in general, can be (and usually is) pretty terrible.

Again, I don't have a problem with the universe recreation thing, but some simple visual indicators that this universe runs on different rules than ours, rules that would make this crazy stuff possible, would have made me happier. Example, instead of zooming in on a NASA concept art space station, maybe we zoom in on a cloud city with a dragon flying by. Inside the technology looks advanced but somewhat fantastical. This isn't quite our Earth, and magical computers are possible.

I don't think there is a difference as long as they're the same level. I just use Stream Edge because of how I have the arts laid out. The two side attacks are together, and Slit Edge comes first (to lower defense so Air Slash and later Backslash does more damage). I keep Stream Edge on the other side for quick break access just because it doesn't really fit in anywhere else.

I'd have to look, but I think Stream Edge deals more damage, and Air Slash makes up for that by inflicting Slow.

Also, in chains I've found myself using Worldly Slash a lot up front even though it's a strong attack that would typically benefit from being late in the chain, since it lowers defense to make other attacks in the chain deal more damage.

Makes sense. I attack in the same order. I've always found Slow to be kind of useless though. Doesn't that only affect movement speed?

My go-to chain with Shulk, Dunban & Reyn is usually: Backslash/Buster, Worldly Slash/Blossom Dance, Sword Drive. So good.

Again, I don't have a problem with the universe recreation thing, but some simple visual indicators that this universe runs on different rules than ours, rules that would make this crazy stuff possible, would have made me happier. Example, instead of zooming in on a NASA concept art space station, maybe we zoom in on a cloud city with a dragon flying by. Inside the technology looks advanced but somewhat fantastical. This isn't quite our Earth, and magical computers are possible.

The "new" universe is the one that ran on the new rules. Why would you expect "our earth" to have magic?

Miquol is still quite the suspicious character (1. He was on good terms with Dickson, 2. He had the same goal Dickson and Zanza did (kill Egil, despite being his son, albeit supposedly for different reasons), 3. He wasn't the least bit concerned about the Monado or Shulk despite seemingly understanding what was going on), and there's the whole "infinite world" to explore with all those people Shulk and co haven't met.

I never thought of that. Interesting idea,
I could go for a sequel, I do go with another trip into that world.

My play time is 75:35 and I'm level 56.

I finally got the 7th.
Wow! I'll admit, when I heard of this mysterious 7th character I was always guessing who it would be. My guesses were either Mumkhar or Alvis. And I'm an idiot because even after I saw Fiora alive in that silver mechon unit I didn't think she'd be the 7th. But I'm glad it's her! Although I do have one gripe: her armor. I'm all for having a token "sexy" female in a game, and I thought that Sharla was it. The mechon armor that Fiora starts out with is perfect -- very machina-like. But then I bought her some new armor at the Fallen Arm village and it's super revealing, and I don't like it. I don't think it suits her character at all. Plus, cutscenes are distracting enough with just Sharla's titties hanging out, now I have to unglue my eyes from two pairs! /rant. And strangely enough, the AI seems to do better with her than me. :S I guess that's good though, since I wanted a more competent AI teammate.

I'm really enjoying the story, and it's getting very difficult to pace myself.
I liked the introduction of the Machinas and how they are just as peace-loving as the people of Bionis. Well, except for Egil. I thought that was a really cool development and it makes Mechonis a lot more interesting knowing that it isn't populated by just mindless, factory-built machines. I'm at the part where you get the key to go from the Fallen Arm to the Mechonis' Leg.

I really hope the rest of the game won't contain
primarily mechon enemies. They're so annoying to fight when Shulk isn't in the party. I can kill one same-level enemy easily with topple attacks, but a fight with multiple enemies really sucks without Enchant.

The "new" universe is the one that ran on the new rules. Why would you expect "our earth" to have magic?

For the purpose of tying the two together. Magic must be probable in the first place for magic to happen. Resetting the universe with the press of a button shattered my suspension of disbelief, if I'm lead to believe such a thing could happen in the world I live in.

Maybe instead of resetting the universe, Zanza created a new one, a "pocket dimension in a jar" so to speak. A universe run by (though not controlled by) the computer Alvis. Then Shulk comes along and resets the program's parameters. That would have been a much easier scenario for me to accept.

I guess its just the "doomsday computer button" that's seriously sticking in my craw.

Note: These are still end-of-the game spoilers being discussed here. Do not look if you haven't beaten the game.
Maybe instead of resetting the universe, Zanza created a new one, a "pocket dimension in a jar" so to speak. A universe run by (though not controlled by) the computer Alvis. Then Shulk comes along and resets the program's parameters. That would have been a much easier scenario for me to accept.
That's pretty much exactly what happened, though, if I understood the ending right. Zanza didn't press a "Universe Reset" button--there was basically what appeared to be a giant Hadron Particle Collider thing around the Earth, and Zanza's previous identity was revealed to be this drunk-with-power scientist guy who was about to use it to create an entirely new universe (from Meyneth's reaction, that may not have been its actual intended purpose, but either way, but's what Zanza used it to do). Meyneth, his assistant/co-worker, tried to stop him because she wasn't sure what the consequences of doing that would be (would creating this new universe, the one where Xenoblade takes place destroy our own universe? Would Earth still exist after it was made? And even if it did, would they ever be able to go back/enter and leave at will? The answer to these particular questions, that is, whether the universe with Earth actually still exists at all in Xenoblade, seems to have been left open for interpretation), but he pushed her away, pushed the button, and thus the Xenoblade universe was created.

In the creation of this new universe, one of the unpredicted effects was that not only were Zanza and Meyneth transformed into gods of this world, but also Alvis, the computer of the space-station or whatever they were on, was also granted self-awareness and transformed into a god.

In any case though, at least from my understanding of the ending, it seemed that when Zanza pushed that button, he ended up creating an entirely new universe, and as a new universe that either exists entirely separately from our own or potentially even wiped it out and completely replaced it, it doesn't necessarily have quite the same exact laws of physics and such as our own, allowing the magic/ether and such of the Xenoblade universe to exist, despite them not existing in Zanza's original Earth.

Note: These are still end-of-the game spoilers being discussed here. Do not look if you haven't beaten the game.

That's pretty much exactly what happened, though, if I understood the ending right. Zanza didn't press a "Universe Reset" button--there was basically what appeared to be a giant Hadron Particle Collider thing around the Earth, and Zanza's previous identity was revealed to be this drunk-with-power scientist guy who was about to use it to create an entirely new universe (from Meyneth's reaction, that may not have been its actual intended purpose, but either way, but's what Zanza used it to do). Meyneth, his assistant/co-worker, tried to stop him because she wasn't sure what the consequences of doing that would be (would creating this new universe, the one where Xenoblade takes place destroy our own universe? Would Earth still exist after it was made? And even if it did, would they ever be able to go back/enter and leave at will? The answer to these particular questions, that is, whether the universe with Earth actually still exists at all in Xenoblade, seems to have been left open for interpretation), but he pushed her away, pushed the button, and thus the Xenoblade universe was created.

In the creation of this new universe, one of the unpredicted effects was that not only were Zanza and Meyneth transformed into gods of this world, but also Alvis, the computer of the space-station or whatever they were on, was also granted self-awareness and transformed into a god.

In any case though, at least from my understanding of the ending, it seemed that when Zanza pushed that button, he ended up creating an entirely new universe, and as a new universe, it doesn't necessarily have the same exact laws of physics and such as our own, allowing the magic and ether and such of the Xenoblade universe to exist, despite them not existing in Zanza's original Earth.

Eh, I guess I'll just take that interpretation. The way it was portrayed seemed to make it pretty clear that the new universe was made from the reconstituted parts of the old universe and that was too far fetched. But interpreted as you have it here, that they simply set off an all new universe outside and unrelated our own reality, well,that's not too bad. Okay, you've brought me around.

That's pretty much exactly what happened, though, if I understood the ending right. Zanza didn't press a "Universe Reset" button...

I'd have to search up the cutscene again but didn't Alvis pretty much say something along the lines of "Their curiosity destroyed the universe and a new one was created..."

For the purpose of tying the two together. Magic must be probable in the first place for magic to happen.

Ok, I get what you're saying now.
I was coming at it with the idea that every universe was different. I think this came from something I read talking about how the laws of physics could be significantly different throughout the universe. I just figured it was a different set a physics one that gave the new world it's current properties (Giant God Beings) rather than the current ones our world has.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope the rest of the game won't contain
primarily mechon enemies. They're so annoying to fight when Shulk isn't in the party. I can kill one same-level enemy easily with topple attacks, but a fight with multiple enemies really sucks without Enchant.
The next few areas have mechon enemies exclusively. You can use an anti-mechon party of Melia, Shulk, and Fiora since none of them need enchant. You'll also find a ton of anti-mechon weapons, and the later ones should be the best available at that point.

burgerdog

I so want to replay this again despite just sinking 130 hours into it over the past month. I'm going to hold off until I build my new pc later this year.

I finally got the 7th.
Wow! I'll admit, when I heard of this mysterious 7th character I was always guessing who it would be. My guesses were either Mumkhar or Alvis. And I'm an idiot because even after I saw Fiora alive in that silver mechon unit I didn't think she'd be the 7th. But I'm glad it's her! Although I do have one gripe: her armor. I'm all for having a token "sexy" female in a game, and I thought that Sharla was it. The mechon armor that Fiora starts out with is perfect -- very machina-like. But then I bought her some new armor at the Fallen Arm village and it's super revealing, and I don't like it. I don't think it suits her character at all. Plus, cutscenes are distracting enough with just Sharla's titties hanging out, now I have to unglue my eyes from two pairs! /rant. And strangely enough, the AI seems to do better with her than me. :S I guess that's good though, since I wanted a more competent AI teammate.

Fiora's Speed Armor is rubbish. It doesn't suit the character at all, I agree. But you won't have to worry about that because Unique armor sets suck. With very few exceptions, if you can't put your own gems in it, it's auto fail. The upgraded Ether Frame with slots is where it's at, you'll get that later in the game. My Fiora wears it at end game fighting super bosses and dominates, and also has her original (and I agree with you here as well, completely perfect) white armor.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Fiora's Speed Armor is rubbish. It doesn't suit the character at all, I agree. But you won't have to worry about that because Unique armor sets suck. With very few exceptions, if you can't put your own gems in it, it's auto fail. The upgraded Ether Frame with slots is where it's at, you'll get that later in the game. My Fiora wears it at end game fighting super bosses and dominates, and also has her original (and I agree with you here as well, completely perfect) white armor.

Completely disagree. Haste in an armor slot is amazing since it frees up an invaluable weapon slot. That's why glory gauntlets are great too. The 5% you give up versus manually crafted ones is worth it.

It also gives agility which you want to use anyway, but it gets redundant in the late sets and is probably just better off replaced with a crafted one in a slot. But there is
regular speed armor that has slots and the same low weight benefit, but I don't think the stats of the best one is as good. Z is the highest, I think? That's why I use speed armor, everybody but Reyn gets light armor for the minimal weight penalty.

Leezard

Completely disagree. Haste in an armor slot is amazing since it frees up an invaluable weapon slot. That's why glory gauntlets are great too. The 5% you give up versus manually crafted ones is worth it.

It also gives agility which you want to use anyway, but it gets redundant in the late sets and is probably just better off replaced with a crafted one in a slot. But there is
regular speed armor that has slots and the same low weight benefit, but I don't think the stats of the best one is as good. Z is the highest, I think? That's why I use speed armor, everybody but Reyn gets light armor for the minimal weight penalty.

There are several skill links that reduce the weight penalty. You can pretty much completely remove the penalty.

Note how I said "with very few exceptions". Certain weapon gems on armor due to Uniques (Glory Gauntlets are a good example as you brought up) are amazing.

As for weight, I just throw on the lower equipment weight skill links so I can have the superior physical defense on Ether Armor. Fiora can't hack it with Agility alone on the higher level stuff like the superbosses (unlike Dunban because he has Serene Heart) and only has a Healing Energy and AAs for healing so I prefer to have her able to take a hit and still have her Agility if necessary.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I used the skill links on my first playthrough, but I've found light armor alone fine for my second one since I'd rather use affinity coins for more important stuff. Even when taking hits while fighting stuff underleveled that character did okay.

Took hits from Abaasy at level 80 well enough. Ironically some of the upper 90s uniques actually seem to deal more physical damage though, I actually can't kill a lot of those at this level.

I used the skill links on my first playthrough, but I've found light armor alone fine for my second one since I'd rather use affinity coins for more important stuff. Even when taking hits while fighting stuff underleveled that character did okay.

Took hits from Abaasy at level 80 well enough. Ironically some of the upper 90s uniques actually seem to deal more physical damage though, I actually can't kill a lot of those at this level.

That's probably because the devs seemed to make Abaasy rely on his cheesy Spike and Arts to try and bump you off.

Ok, I get what you're saying now.
I was coming at it with the idea that every universe was different. I think this came from something I read talking about how the laws of physics could be significantly different throughout the universe. I just figured it was a different set a physics one that gave the new world it's current properties (Giant God Beings) rather than the current ones our world has.

Ending stuff.

Yeah, I got (or at least think I got) what they were going for with the ending. To me, it seemed like the deal on the space station was that they triggered the change in one of the field values of our universe to leave a false vacuum state and reach another, lower energy state. In other words, a phase change, just as Alvis said.

Here is the wiki on false vacuum, but long story short, it means there is a possibility that our universe isn't as stable as we hope, and that something like that experiment in the game actually could destroy our universe and bring about a new one with physics acting in a way we could never predict. So I'd guess magic/ether/whatever could be one outcome.

Of course, I only really went down that line of thought because I read books on theoretical physics for fun. I would assume that's pretty rare, haha.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
That's probably because the devs seemed to make Abaasy rely on his cheesy Spike and Arts to try and bump you off.

Actually, yeah. The only thing that really matches his level is his HP and maybe defense. Considering I was fighting Deinos Sauros for debuff resist before I fought him I can easily compare the two, Abaasy was easier to hit and didn't deal anymore damage apart from his special arts (Demon Purging Fire and the 15000+ damage Talent Art).

Blizzard Belgazas is likely similar since both have the maximum penalty for your party, I should try that (I'd need another spike resist though!). I actually think there's a good chance Despotic Arsene would be the toughest to kill at level 80.

The next few areas have mechon enemies exclusively. You can use an anti-mechon party of Melia, Shulk, and Fiora since none of them need enchant. You'll also find a ton of anti-mechon weapons, and the later ones should be the best available at that point.

Argh. Thanks for the warning. And I didn't know that
anti-mechon weapons dropped, so that's a relief. Now I don't mind so much.

Yeah I definitely can't wait to get some slotted armor and not uniques. I'm still at the point where agility is king so
her speed armor will have to do.
But yeah, the armor with the haste gem is amazing. I had another haste gem so I was able to pump it up to 50%. Beautiful stuff.

What is Fiora's best role? I see that she can tank, although her HP is abysmal. I just have her as a physical damage-dealer right now, and it's going well.

Javier

Got past
Prison Island
and now I'm on THAT boss fight on my way to
Sword Valley

Shit got really REALLY real.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Argh. Thanks for the warning. And I didn't know that
anti-mechon weapons dropped, so that's a relief. Now I don't mind so much.

Yeah I definitely can't wait to get some slotted armor and not uniques. I'm still at the point where agility is king so
her speed armor will have to do.
But yeah, the armor with the haste gem is amazing. I had another haste gem so I was able to pump it up to 50%. Beautiful stuff.

What is Fiora's best role? I see that she can tank, although her HP is abysmal. I just have her as a physical damage-dealer right now, and it's going well.

Agility is always king, but the later sets have like 2 peices of armor that have 45% agility gems. Kind of a waste.

And Fiora is kind of like Riki in that she can do a number of things. Her main role is a damage dealer, and like Dunban she is pretty self sufficient. Take advantage of speed shift, it's probably her best art. Especially once you unlock her 4th skill tree and start unlocking those skills. Then link a particular skill with Dunban and you have a super-rapid attacking self-regenerating monster that quite possibly deals the best DPS in the game. This was the setup I had not too much further in than you are (on Mechonis): http://i.minus.com/ibkLSuxFiJLU9B.jpg (yes, that was the best armor I had for Shulk since I hadn't got Alcyone for him yet, the blaze resist were for a specific UM).

Javier

BTW, can I safely sell all those collectibles provided I already added them to the collection and they're not needed for a sidequest? They have no purpose other than to be sold for cash after that, right?

Croc

Banned
BTW, can I safely sell all those collectibles provided I already added them to the collection and they're not needed for a sidequest? They have no purpose other than to be sold for cash after that, right?

You can also gift collectables to other party members to help raise affinity between them.

Just got to the (20 hours in)
High Entia Tomb
boss fight. Those two kicked my ass, first hard boss fight in the game. Had to switch to
Riki
because Shulk can't do shit to the second attacker, but he's still needed for his Monado powers.

Slappy967

Neo Member
Took longer then expected but I finally picked up my preorder of the game & artbook! Can't wait to dig into the game but I am curious if any kind of sales numbers have been released since the release or if we will never know if people put their money where their mouths were as it pertains to Operation Rainfall?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Took longer then expected but I finally picked up my preorder of the game & artbook! Can't wait to dig into the game but I am curious if any kind of sales numbers have been released since the release or if we will never know if people put their money where their mouths were as it pertains to Operation Rainfall?

We'll probably never know unless Nintendo decides to give numbers. And that seems unlikely.

But given the circumstances, I assume it did "well." Retailer exclusive, likely a very small print, very little marketing involved (anything other than twitter/Facebook?), and no development effort on NoA's part (just changed the region lock).

Shoot me. I had NO IDEA you could do that.

Gifts can also lower affinity. If you're giving them at random, you have a 50% chance. Different gifts will raise/lower affinity by different amounts.

Personally, I don't think gifts are worthwhile. They only give 1 to 3 hearts depending on the gift (4 for a love source, but by the time you can get those you'll probably be near max affinity anyway). Collectables make good trade fodder since they're easy to get and tend to be a lot more valuable than materials, and if you really want to raise affinity quickly you can take advantage of some enemies' spike effects that lower tension or inflict a status you can assist with (sleep, topple, daze). In my first playthrough I maxed affinity between the entire party in around an hour.

Croc

Banned
Gifts can also lower affinity. If you're giving them at random, you have a 50% chance. Different gifts will raise/lower affinity by different amounts.

Personally, I don't think gifts are worthwhile. They only give 1 to 3 hearts depending on the gift (4 for a love source, but by the time you can get those you'll probably be near max affinity anyway). Collectables make good trade fodder since they're easy to get and tend to be a lot more valuable than materials, and if you really want to raise affinity quickly you can take advantage of some enemies' spike effects that lower tension or inflict a status you can assist with (sleep, topple, daze). In my first playthrough I maxed affinity between the entire party in around an hour.

To be fair though, there is that google doc that lists all of the gifts so you know how much affinity you'll be getting. Honestly by late game I was so over stuffed with collectables that there was 0 harm in just mass gifting them to people. Ones that are worth a fair amount are easy enough to find so the trading thing doesn't really seem like an issue.

Man it's so easy to blow time on this game. I just did sidequests and collected gems for the last 2 nights and I've run through 7 hours of gameplay without advancing the story at all. And it's not like I knocked out a bunch of quests in 7 hours either; some of those "talk to these people/go investigate something" quests just take a lot of time. Especially if you refuse to use guides/FAQs like me. It's really helped my affinity levels though. I must have those haste buffs from the 7th for Dunban and Shulk!

Also, are you sure that Dunban + Reyn is the best Mega Heat team for gem crafting? I've been using Shulk + Reyn and they've been doing awesome. I just got Shulk's skill that increases his fever chance.

Croc

Banned
I have a few questions about some end game stuff. Just gunna put it all in spoilers even though it's not really too spoilery.

What's the best place to grind for affinity? I have searched through this thread and online and can find some things telling me to take advantage of enemies that use sleep or something, but can't find any specifics.

Is there a good place or way to grind AP? I am towards the end of Prison Island and lv. 80, but I have a TON of Arts that need leveled. I think the most Arts for one person I have maxed out is only 1.

And finally, is there some kind of list that tells me where I can grind for crystals for making specific types of gems? I'm wanting to make some higher level Agility ones so I can replace the 2 Agility III's I have on Melia.

I think those are the only questions I have for now...

OK, I finally picked this game back up, after putting it down months ago due to uni work. Only just got Sharla in my party.

Never before has a JRPG managed to drag me back in after months away. This game went one better- I'm fucking hooked. I AM SHULK, SLAYER OF MECHON SCUM

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have a few questions about some end game stuff. Just gunna put it all in spoilers even though it's not really too spoilery.

What's the best place to grind for affinity? I have searched through this thread and online and can find some things telling me to take advantage of enemies that use sleep or something, but can't find any specifics.

Is there a good place or way to grind AP? I am towards the end of Prison Island and lv. 80, but I have a TON of Arts that need leveled. I think the most Arts for one person I have maxed out is only 1.

And finally, is there some kind of list that tells me where I can grind for crystals for making specific types of gems? I'm wanting to make some higher level Agility ones so I can replace the 2 Agility III's I have on Melia.

I think those are the only questions I have for now...
For affinity, the closest good one to your level I know of is a level 87 kromer in Eryth Sea. I think
there is an ether unique at Prison Island if you go back toward the broken teleporter away from the main entrance, not 100% sure but I think it has a low tension spike and is level 75.

Not sure if there is a specifically good place for AP. Killing enemies higher level than you is the best bet. Remember to use the AP up gems you've probably collected.

For gems I don't think there is a resource for every level, but the google document has a list for the rank V gems. Agility requires Nature in Colony 6 to be level 5.

Croc

Banned
For affinity, the closest good one to your level I know of is a level 87 kromer in Eryth Sea. I think
there is an ether unique at Prison Island if you go back toward the broken teleporter away from the main entrance, not 100% sure but I think it has a low tension spike and is level 75.

Not sure if there is a specifically good place for AP. Killing enemies higher level than you is the best bet. Remember to use the AP up gems you've probably collected.

For gems I don't think there is a resource for every level, but the google document has a list for the rank V gems. Agility requires Nature in Colony 6 to be level 5.

Huh somehow I managed to miss that Gem tab on there.

And I just need a couple more things to get Colony 6 to level 5 which should be fairly easy (aside from those damned Black Liver Beans).

That answers all of my questions though, thanks!

Exeunt

122 hours in with my party at level 80 and it seems I've finally reached the point of no return (at least
according to Dunban after I defeated this giant dragon in Prison Island
). It's been an incredible ride, and as far as the story's concerned—
Dickson and Alvis still outstanding as well as possibly the Order of the Bionis
—I guess there will still be some twists whenever I decide to cross the threshold. The last dungeon felt like it could have been straight out of Chrono Trigger, which is definitely a good thing in my books; I know I'm not at the end yet but this has been one of my favourite gaming experiences so far. Going back a bit, the battle with
Lorithia
became pretty broken with the seventh and when the boss
made out with her "servant" right in front of Melia
that was one of the most despicable moments since
Metal Face taunting Shulk
and I loved it for that. I said it before, but the game is best when there is a villain threatening the party on a smaller level rather than
this battle of the gods stuff
. I also think that
Lorithia was built up for a while but was taken out pretty quickly after she "turned" and Dickson's transformation from "can't say I feel too good about deceving a bunch of kids" to some cackling maniac isn't the most convincing turn the story has taken. I know his frustration built up near the end, but it still feels a little over-the-top for a betrayal that should be more intimate

As far as the actual
Lorithia
battle was concerned, the
acid pools
were a bit of a pain with the AI at times and
I'd imagine that it becomes a lot harder if you don't use Shulk and Fiora
. Overall the last two dungeons have been more challenging than most of the game, and there are still some unique monsters there I need to finish off. The fight I mentioned felt like the biggest one over the last two areas and I guess it's all about unique monsters and swarms of high-leveled foes from here on out—until I decide to confront the final boss(es?) that is.

Actually, I still have a lot of stuff to do even though it seems like I'll hit the end of the story. I still have some ten or so quests outstanding and
only Dunban has all five Skill Branches unlocked
so far—not to mention all the monsters on the field I've seen in the nineties
and hundreds?!?
So it looks like I still have stuff to keep me busy—about twenty levels of content before the game is completely over. I don't want to force the end of the game just yet so it looks like I'll probably be exploring (I still have areas to find in
Eryth Sea and Tephra Cave at minimum
) and completing more quests.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
122 hours in with my party at level 80 and it seems I've finally reached the point of no return (at least
according to Dunban after I defeated this giant dragon in Prison Island
). It's been an incredible ride, and as far as the story's concerned—
Dickson and Alvis still outstanding as well as possibly the Order of the Bionis
—I guess there will still be some twists whenever I decide to cross the threshold. The last dungeon felt like it could have been straight out of Chrono Trigger, which is definitely a good thing in my books; I know I'm not at the end yet but this has been one of my favourite gaming experiences so far. Going back a bit, the battle with
Lorithia
became pretty broken with the seventh and when the boss
made out with her "servant" right in front of Melia
that was one of the most despicable moments since
Metal Face taunting Shulk
and I loved it for that. I said it before, but the game is best when there is a villain threatening the party on a smaller level rather than
this battle of the gods stuff
. I also think that
Lorithia was built up for a while but was taken out pretty quickly after she "turned" and Dickson's transformation from "can't say I feel too good about deceving a bunch of kids" to some cackling maniac isn't the most convincing turn the story has taken. I know his frustration built up near the end, but it still feels a little over-the-top for a betrayal that should be more intimate

As far as the actual
Lorithia
battle was concerned, the
acid pools
were a bit of a pain with the AI at times and
I'd imagine that it becomes a lot harder if you don't use Shulk and Fiora
. Overall the last two dungeons have been more challenging than most of the game, and there are still some unique monsters there I need to finish off. The fight I mentioned felt like the biggest one over the last two areas and I guess it's all about unique monsters and swarms of high-leveled foes from here on out—until I decide to confront the final boss(es?) that is.

Actually, I still have a lot of stuff to do even though it seems like I'll hit the end of the story. I still have some ten or so quests outstanding and
only Dunban has all five Skill Branches unlocked
so far—not to mention all the monsters on the field I've seen in the nineties
and hundreds?!?
So it looks like I still have stuff to keep me busy—about twenty levels of content before the game is completely over. I don't want to force the end of the game just yet so it looks like I'll probably be exploring (I still have areas to find in
Eryth Sea and Tephra Cave at minimum
) and completing more quests.
I would suggest beating the game now. It will probably already be kind of easy at your level but that's better than the last leg being boring when enemies can't even hit you. Just don't save or start NG+ when it prompts you. It will take you back to the main menu and you can resume your save from the point of no return.

Exeunt

I would suggest beating the game now. It will probably already be kind of easy at your level but that's better than the last leg being boring when enemies can't even hit you. Just don't save or start NG+ when it prompts you. It will take you back to the main menu and you can resume your save from the point of no return.

I can see how that makes sense. Thanks for the tip; I suppose when I play tonight I will do the last stretch of the story rather than the high-level stuff.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to try something a little different today, just kind of a test to see how broken 7th is. Soloed some unique enemies around the same level without toppling or dazing. Other two party members were Sharla and Melia since their talent gauges do nothing by themselves, I took off all their arts except one that would be useless (Drive Boost and Reflection), then just had them follow me around and not attack.

Since the character is level 80, I went out to Bionis Leg and found Territorial Rotbart(81), and proceeded to solo him. And it went about as you'd expect - he even never hit me.

So I went for something a bit tougher. Indomitable Daulton, the level 85 gogol toward the end of Satorl Marsh, as well as his buddies that hang around the ruins with him. They were actually able to hit me (or at least the unique was), but still he only managed to get me to low HP once throughout the relatively long fight. It was kind of annoying since I'd get stuck in dodge animation loops and have to try to move away from the enemies to get out of it.

Unfortunately there's no level 86 unique enemy, and Stormy Belagon at 87 is too tough. I guess at least for now 5 level is pretty much the limit for that.

Also killed five more Deinos Sauros to get one more double attack V crystal. So now I have maxed double attack gems!

I'm contemplating turning exp back on (blasphemy!) so I can unlock and do some stuff that I'm currently level limited on like the rest of the skill trees. Then see if I can do NG+ but revert my level back to 1, and see how far I can get without leveling up, just using gems, skill links, and end-game weapons+armor.

Wow chaos, I didn't know the 7th was that good. Is that character a natural tank? Because I've run in to a bit of a problem (spoiler tagging so I can talk freely):

Ever since I added Fiora to my team, Dunban has stopped using some of his tanking arts. It's like he recognizes Fiora as the main tank now. Fiora draws aggro like crazy so maybe the AI thinks she's the better tank? Dunban just uses his attack arts and ignores his auras. His auras! Those are the best things about him!* I tried controlling Dunban and even though it was difficult I managed to keep aggro on him. So I know it's possible, but the AI just gave up on me.

I've noticed this before when using Dunban, Sharla and Reyn. Sharla automatically threw her shield art on Reyn at the beginning of every battle, as if she recognized him as the main tank over Dunban. Is there a way to get the AI to prefer one tank over another? I'd really prefer Dunban to be the tank instead of Fiora.

*Bonus question: How many auras can you use at once? (i.e., can I pop Peerless and Serene Heart at the same time?)

Croc

Banned
I must be doing something wrong with 7th, cause they don't seem nearly as good as everyone makes them out to be. I was mainly using a party of Melia (main), Shulk, and Dunban for awhile. Switched Dunban out for 7th and I was significantly weaker. 7th was constantly dying (even pumped up with agility gems) and I couldn't beat some uniques that I was able to before.

Tips?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Wow chaos, I didn't know the 7th was that good. Is that character a natural tank? Because I've run in to a bit of a problem (spoiler tagging so I can talk freely):

Ever since I added Fiora to my team, Dunban has stopped using some of his tanking arts. It's like he recognizes Fiora as the main tank now. Fiora draws aggro like crazy so maybe the AI thinks she's the better tank? Dunban just uses his attack arts and ignores his auras. His auras! Those are the best things about him!* I tried controlling Dunban and even though it was difficult I managed to keep aggro on him. So I know it's possible, but the AI just gave up on me.

I've noticed this before when using Dunban, Sharla and Reyn. Sharla automatically threw her shield art on Reyn at the beginning of every battle, as if she recognized him as the main tank over Dunban. Is there a way to get the AI to prefer one tank over another? I'd really prefer Dunban to be the tank instead of Fiora.

*Bonus question: How many auras can you use at once? (i.e., can I pop Peerless and Serene Heart at the same time?)

One aura at a time. I hadn't tested this until today when I was using 7th (had 3 auras -
Speed Shift being the primary one, but also used Healing Energy when that wasn't active and HP was low, and Guard Shift which I used once to weaken damage shown in a vision
.) Using any other aura while one was active replaced the other buff.

Regarding tanking and what I do with that character,
I find that she can tank fine against enemies in my level range, but struggles some against higher level ones (Dunban does fine against practically anything remotely possible even at level 79, pretty much any normal enemy in the game and uniques up to around 10 levels higher than him).

I pretty much do the same thing with her that I do with Dunban - light armor (Speed) and agility until they're drowning in it. I think the AI might act differently with Fiora in the party depending on what type of armor she's wearing. That could call for some experimentation.

One reason she works well though is the fact she regenerates so fast with my setup. Wolverine doesn't have anything on this. Not to say she doesn't dodge, she just doesn't do it as well as Dunban and this tends to cover for that.

Something I've done makes her heal ~100-200HP on basically every hit (arts or auto-attack), and it's something I've set up on each character. I'm not entirely sure what it is, since in theory it should only be criticals/double attacks healing with Dunban's skill link, but whatever. Maybe it's a Dolphin bug? Should try this on the real Wii.

Anyway, with good double attack gems (now maxed), maxed haste gems, battle start haste, burst affinity haste (especially on each character for a triple effect on the whole party) and of course, Speed Shift, she attacks pretty much as fast as the animation will let her. And with every attack (or nearly every attack) healing, it seems like it's around 200-300HP per second. Far better than you'll get with gems or auras.

Kind of makes Healing Energy pointless unless Speed Shift runs out. I haven't changed my setup much since fighting Abaasy, so you can refer to that or I can post the slight changes I've made. Probably won't get to it until tomorrow though.

Now, about different tanks and priority, I'd guess there's a lot of pre-programmed stuff relating to how the AI should act and react to situations. That includes having a sort of "tank order" as well as tanks respecting one another's ability (or possibly lack thereof) to tank even if you don't want them to.

I'd have to test, but I have noticed that Dunban won't use Blinding Blossom on 7th. I do think he'll still use it on Shulk if Shadow Eye isn't used though, and would probably also do it for Melia and Sharla (no idea on Riki). I say that because I'm almost positive I've heard him use it in battle with that party setup, but he also never takes aggro from 7th. 7th also tends to not take aggro from Dunban, it's always one or the other, enemies very rarely switch between them.

Interesting stuff. Sounds like I have some experiments to run tonight. :p

If I can't get Dunban's AI to tank properly I have 3 routes I'm thinking of taking:
1 - Control him myself
2 - Use your recommended party of Melia, Shulk and 7th
3 - Use Shulk (I like controlling him), 7th and Riki*

* I don't even really like Riki, but for some reason I always do really well when he's on my team. His chill and bleed DoTs, his heal, his AoE sleep art and his topple art are all fucking awesome and the AI actually uses them well. Plus he has a crapload of HP so I generally don't have to worry about him.

And thanks for the aura info. Man, I've been completely doing it wrong!

That was a fun fight against level 75 boss at level 68+/69+..well you'll see. Used the classic party of (party and other info)
Sharla, Melia, Riki levels 68/68/69 (controlling Riki). Halfway through Riki found experience. Funny seeing the name go from Red to Yellow as I was high 68/68/69 which pushed me into 69/69/70. It was a tad slow though with arts seal blocking my main source of damage. Also, someone needs to tell Sharla that using Covert Stance is enough, she doesn't need to hide in the ether pool as well.

I saved to a different slot and reloaded the save and used a different party of (
Shulk, Dunban, 7th
) with night vision V (might be a precaution, did not check to see if I could hit without...) and got slaughtered..twice. I think some of it was bad tactics but the level disadvantage mixed with the bosses
physical protect makes the damage too low to work. Plus the elementals are a total pain with no way to viably take them out (but maybe thats the issue there since taking them out will help things). I'll give it a few more goes tomorrow or whenever I have time then move on with the game.

Fuck, I'm pretty sure I just accidentally happened upon a major spoiler. -_- I was looking up some songs from the OST on YouTube and saw one titled
Bionis' Awakening.
Gahhhh!!!

Fuck, I'm pretty sure I just accidentally happened upon a major spoiler. -_- I was looking up some songs from the OST on YouTube and saw one titled
Bionis' Awakening.
Gahhhh!!!

You'll be fine. Considering all that happens, you didn't really ruin much of anything.

AniHawk

I must be doing something wrong with 7th, cause they don't seem nearly as good as everyone makes them out to be. I was mainly using a party of Melia (main), Shulk, and Dunban for awhile. Switched Dunban out for 7th and I was significantly weaker. 7th was constantly dying (even pumped up with agility gems) and I couldn't beat some uniques that I was able to before.

Tips?

give 7th double attack gems and haste if possible. then make sure agility is up too.

as far as skills go, have them work with dunban and link his skill that makes crits heal. then unlock 7th's skill that makes every double attack an automatic crit.

that's the basics as far as getting 7th towards getting good. make sure you update the haste art and topple-related stuff too.

i'm into really late endgame stuff and i'm not playing with 7th because i've used them from hours 60-100, and they're maxed on the affinity chart with everyone but reyn.

I don't even use the 7th party member anymore, honestly. Once you figure out how the game works (Agility > everything, Double Attack and Haste are your friends, DoTs are OP, lol Topple locks, etc.) everyone in the game kinda hits "broken" status and you can use who you like. Except Sharla. Poor Sharla. My team is Shulk/Melia/Dunban, for most situations.

Shulk does retarded damage with the maxed Back Attack Plus skill (buffs ANY attack done from behind, including autoattacks) and can Back Slash things for like 70,000 HP every time it's up, not to mention he gets his Talent Art so fast that he can spam Monado Busters, which do the same damage as Back Slash with that Back Attack Plus on. Plus all of his utility features through Monado Arts and the ability to instantly use them when a vision comes up.

Melia's a nuclear missile with wings, I shredded Belgazas with her and have little doubt she'd do the same to Abaasy. Not to mention that she has DoTs, can Topple lock (I don't use Topple locks for anything in the game but she can) doesn't have to worry about Spikes (unless it's AI Melia who will run into range of them), and never misses an enemy because she uses Ether attacks. She also has built-in Spike Defense.

Dunban's Haste aura pretty much smacks up 7th's (WAY shorter cooldown for the same 95% Haste when maxed), he dodges more stuff, has aggro drawing moves, innate Spike Defense, a huge DPS Talent Art and does just as much damage as 7th in most situations.

For me, 7th party member is kind of like Dunban No. 2 but with more variety in terms of utility, except the original is cooler because well, he's Dunban.

Top Bottom