• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Chinner

Banned
Screen lottery?

XZ-ABC.jpg

apparently, if i understand correctly, ZL all have the sharp screen. apparently most Z's shipping now have the sharp screen to, but hey

tha_devil

different white balance, different colors.

I now have the white balance option on my Z and i flashed black nav/notification bar. Looks perfectly fine.

Sharp is probably the better screen anyway but apparently the other ones were more a problem of calibration than outright inferior quality. And you can change the calibration on the phone so it's not all bad.

Still though, ZL owns.

Fezan

At esato roundmaster is saying that Xperia z in middle east have sharp screens can some one confirm it because after being disappointed by Samsung reveal I am ready for Xz or else will go with HTC one

At esato roundmaster is saying that Xperia z in middle east have sharp screens can some one confirm it because after being disappointed by Samsung reveal I am ready for Xz or else will go with HTC one

Best to ask in the XDA thread. I think C6603 is the only variant made with the JDI panel, and the rest are made with Sharp, so if you are getting a C6602 then it should be a Sharp panel. I'm not certain though, could be some early shipments of C6602 that ended up with the JDI panel.

Chinner

Banned
tried out the z today. shamefully it's really hard to get a feel for it when you have all the security shit on it, but It's quite a hefty size, especially considering I'm used to the smaller 3.5 iPhone.

leaning more to the zl now, even though I like to pretend in my head that the water proof features will be useful.

Marco1

I would really like to get this phone but the ios app store has it's claws in me.
I just wish that every ios game would have a simultaneous launch on the android too.

Mario007

I would really like to get this phone but the ios app store has it's claws in me.
I just wish that every ios game would have a simultaneous launch on the android too.
Look into PSM when you're thinking about games on Android. Xperia Z is a PSM certified device.

antispin

Saw these at a local store. The viewing angle on both is very poor; the screen washes out completely. If this is not a big deal to you, then that's good, the rest of the device is pretty solid: the skinning is minimal and the performance is snappy. Camera: too much post-processing, but we already knew that. On the build quality of the Xperia Z: I saw the purple unit which had seen some use. The back was badly mutilated with scratches and scruff marks. I guess iPhone-like build quality comes with iPhone-like scruffing too. The ZL's back was fine, feels good to hold too, but that tray at the bottom looks terribad.

Fezan

Sony is doing strange thing again

The SP has sola like floating tech where as the flagship dont have that but cant record HDR video

The low end budget phone can record HDR video and has a dual core krait but only FWVGA display

Sony is doing strange thing again

The SP has sola like floating tech where as the flagship dont have that but cant record HDR video

The low end budget phone can record HDR video and has a dual core krait but only FWVGA display

It can do HDR video, it has an 8MP Exmor RS sensor.

It will be this generation's camera king like the Xperia P before it.

Fezan

It can do HDR video, it has an 8MP Exmor RS sensor.

It will be this generation's camera king like the Xperia P before it.

Engadget said:
The camera app includes the new auto+ setting, which will toggle HDR and other settings to improve your images, depending on the lighting environment. Oddly, the phone isn't able to capture HDR video, even though the lesser specced Xperia L can -- apparently this is due to the way Sony is marketing the two phones, but we still can't quite fathom why it isn't including the video option. However, the SP model picks up some features from even earlier models, with the same screen technology as the Xperia Sola allowing you to navigate around the phone in gloves.

Read preview here on Engadget

Kiraly

SP is listed on the website as 'HDR for picture' whilst the L does say 'HDR for both picture and movie', but I guess that's a mistake because I thought all those new Exmor RS sensors support HDR movie recording at a hardware level?

Edit: jesus Sony

Read preview here on Engadget

That's odd. Must be a mistake. The hardware is fully capable, could be an overheating issue because of the big battery and aluminium frame, but even then. Why not lock it out of the low end phone as well and just keep the feature exclusive to the Z/ZL.

Fezan

That's odd. Must be a mistake. The hardware is fully capable, could be an overheating issue because of the big battery and aluminium frame, but even then. Why not lock it out of the low end phone as well and just keep the feature exclusive to the Z/ZL.

well XL will be marketed as a low end camera phone specially in places like pakistan india etc

and 2nd reason well its sony they had whitemagic and aluminium onlyy for XP where as floating touch for Xsola etc you never know what they will do

What do you think Sony should call the 2014 flagship. I know it's a while off but since they're switching to a new one-model-per-year like everyone else I think we could start speculating. Personally, I think it should be just called the 'Xperia' because the brand name becomes the model, like PlayStation. It would follow that model, so the 2015 phone would be Xperia 2 etc. they could also do a smaller phone and call it the Xperia mini since they have previous with using that. I know it would be confusing initially but if they take the old phones off the market then they can transition pretty quick.

Addnan

To anyone that has the Z or has used it how is the music audio quality. Is it better than the Galaxy S3? That had horrible quality. I'm not audiophile or anything near, but the galaxy's sound was the worst. As long as it is good as an iPhones I think I want this phone.

Mung

To anyone that has the Z or has used it how is the music audio quality. Is it better than the Galaxy S3? That had horrible quality. I'm not audiophile or anything near, but the galaxy's sound was the worst. As long as it is good as an iPhones I think I want this phone.

I've had an iphone and s3, and the Z audio quality is better than the s3 in my opinion. Can't remember the iphone quality!

I'll be honest, the Xperia SP and L look like better designed efforts than the Z if only because you expect less from lower end smartphone efforts. Really, the two biggest things they need to solve is that shitty jpg compression algorithm (its the same on their consumer cameras if you're wondering) and make sure the screen is the best they can source in terms of peak brightness, black depth at usable settings, and colour space coverage.

The specs are good, the built quality seem solid, the translucent bar is back, the processor and RAM is perfectly fine, there's external storage, and the styling is nice and quite distinctive. Even the price seems perfectly agreeable if we're doing a straight Euro to Australian Dollar conversion.

They really should keep the translucent bar, even if its quite glitzy in that 80-90s consumer electronics sort of way. It gives the phone some identity

sammich

They both do it also, I was mistaken, the whole Sony 2013 line up supports mkv.

Holy crap.. Im sold. Just have to decide which one but thats my phone. My first non-ios smart phone. May be a small thing for others but its a big deal for me when im going to start taking transit. Ability to carry one device to do all this is awesome. My last sony phone was my K870? i think it was. Awesome phone before i jumped onto the smart phone wagon.

darkwing

Guess I did the right choice buying a Nexus 4. Wth Sony that's your way of gaining ground in the US?

based on previous posts, looks like the US is not their primary target at this time, they are going Japan first, then EU, then the US

I'm pretty sure someone will explain all these fully lol

anyways from the looks of it, they are selling well in Japan/EU

Mario007

people complaining about the $759 price? the Note 2 sold here in our country for around $820 lol

Yeah, I mean the price is pretty much just a straight conversion from euro to dollars, so i'm not sure how people are pissed off about that. It is the first time the US version isn't cheaper as its EU counterpart but that's how it should be.

based on previous posts, looks like the US is not their primary target at this time, they are going Japan first, then EU, then the US

I'm pretty sure someone will explain all these fully lol

anyways from the looks of it, they are selling well in Japan/EU

Yup, which is also supported by the fact that SP and L don't seem to have been announced for the US at all.

It' tough to break into the US with the carriers imposing terms, Samsung spending huge amount of money on advertising and Apple having its very loyal cult of followers. Concentrating on Asia and Europe is right. In fact I'd argue Sony should concentrate on China before it looks to US.

Top Bottom