• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Mitark

I'm still using Blackberry curve 3G 9300 , and looking to upgrade since forever.

i was thinking about Sony Xperia V when they announced it but when i saw Xperia Z and ZL i changed my mind because of the spec and design, i tried the Xperia Z in person It's a beautiful and slim but there's one problem is the back it's fingerprint magnet that why I'm thinking about ZL now , from my view ZL has the best design when it comes to large screen it's smaller than the GS3.

131.6 x 69.3 x 9.8 mm ( Xperia ZL) VS 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm (Galaxy S III)

also i like the back of the Xperia ZL it's remind me of my current phone Blackberry curve 3G 9300.

14M62G9.jpg

Fezan

I'm still using Blackberry curve 3G 9300 , and looking to upgrade since forever.

i was thinking about Sony Xperia V when they announced it but when i saw Xperia Z and ZL i changed my mind because of the spec and design, i tried the Xperia Z in person It's a beautiful and slim but there's one problem is the back it's fingerprint magnet that why I'm thinking about ZL now , from my view ZL has the best design when it comes to large screen it's smaller than the GS3.

also i like the back of the Xperia ZL it's remind me of my current phone Blackberry curve 3G 9300.

14M62G9.jpg
Get the white version problem solved
Zl dosent looks that premium specially because of back flap

http://i.imgur.com/14M62G9.jpg[/ IMG][/QUOTE]
The ZL is awesome. If it's available in your country, then get it.

abic

Banned
Not sure if everyone's seen the news but today -

Shares of Sony (SNE) rip 7.5% higher in premarket action after its new Android smartphone closes out the week as the top-selling product for the fourth straight week. The company also got a boost from Daiwa Securities with an upgrade to Buy from Neutral.

I've kept track of Sony for a very long time and I decided to put money in their stock earlier this year. This is part 1 paying off, now if they can turn around their TV consumer electronics business or kill it, and secondly make PS4 a success their stock will grow BIG this year.

vivftp

why does everyone thing the zl is better than the z? The Z is the flagship phone right?

They are both the flagship phones, only the Z is available in a wider market. They each have their own advantage as well over the other. The Z is slimmer, waterproof, dustproof and has the glass back, giving it a premium look and feel. The ZL is smaller, but has the same size screen meaning it will fit better in the hand. It also has a camera shutter button and an IR blaster to use it as a universal remote

^Basically that. Didn't know Xperia ZL had physical camera button. Would have been great if the Z had that too and had some soft of software that knew when the phone was under water, something like Microsofts palm rejection. That would make taking photos under water possible.

tha_devil

^Basically that. Didn't know Xperia ZL had physical camera button. Would have been great if the Z had that too and had some soft of software that knew when the phone was under water, something like Microsofts palm rejection. That would make taking photos under water possible.

Its possible to make pics under water using 3rd part camera that can assign making pictures to the volume button!

Also Z is better looking and waterproof, otherwise the zl is a little bit better,

tha_devil

Shit just got real. But the screen would still respond to touch underwater and would go spastic.

actually no. If you hold it under running water, it registers a touch. However when its completely submerged, the screen wont respond at all. The only problem would be though to get in the camera app, maybe its possible with the app to press volume button to open the app itself also, or open it before going underwater. (but i made some pictures of my phone in a glass filled with water, the moment it goes partly underwater it will register random touches as well, that might take you to other app etc.)

agm2502

So I'm probably going to be getting the Xperia Z tomorrow but have one question which I can't seem to find out. Does the phone automatically upload photos when on WIFI to back them up? and if so can you choose where to back them up i.e. Skydrive etc.

Brera

Banned
I really need to cobble together some money to buy some Sony stock. Hopefully soon…

I want to buy in. But I have bad luck :-(

I bought Thomas Cook shares at 14p and sold at 23p. Now they're 115p :-(

Less said about GAME, the better...

darkwing

So I'm probably going to be getting the Xperia Z tomorrow but have one question which I can't seem to find out. Does the phone automatically upload photos when on WIFI to back them up? and if so can you choose where to back them up i.e. Skydrive etc.

there are some apps that do this automatically, like Dropbox

freshair

Like darkwing said, there's nothing native that'll do that (if you're comparing to iCloud), but apps like Dropbox and Google+ Instant Upload will do it for you.

I use both as a ~just in case~ but I mainly use dropbox. Really handy.

You can set Sony's album app to do that to Dropbox or their own cloud service.

Akira

Yup, I added my email last week to get notified when it becomes available. Still not sure if I'll upgrade now or wait until H2 of this year.

KZObsessed

Three (UK) are selling the Xperia Z with no upfront fee until April 30th.
  • All you can eat data.
  • 500 minutes.
  • 5000 texts
  • £34 per month. 24 months

• All you can eat data.
  • 2000 minutes.
  • 5000 Three to Three minutes.
  • 5000 texts
  • £36 per month. 24 months

Sony's counter to S4 announcement I guess.

So if I got one end of April I'd be guaranteed the Sharp screen?

Danj

• All you can eat data.
  • 500 minutes.
  • 5000 texts

• All you can eat data.
  • 2000 minutes.
  • 5000 texts

WTF! I just ordered an upgrade to one of these on the 12th (it's not being delivered till the 22nd), is there any way I can claim the £69 back?

God damn that is one sexy phone. I love the straight edges. I really hate the designs of newer smart phones like the S4, iPhone5, Nexus with their lame curved designs.

This one looks sleek.

1cmanny1

• All you can eat data.
  • 500 minutes.
  • 5000 texts

• All you can eat data.
  • 2000 minutes.
  • 5000 texts

All you can eat data? Jesus, I wish I lived in the UK.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
KZObsessed said:

There are plenty of offers on the Z atm, but if you want to avoid paying anything upfront just make sure you go through a reseller (Phones4U, Carphone Warehouse, etc) as they will tend to cover any upgrade cost.

Z is on most carriers in the UK, so getting one isn't a problem.

S4 vs xz

can some body tell me how reliable or biased andridauthority are ?

it's pretty straightforward except for one thing... the camera comments. people actually complain about Sony camera quality vs other OEMs,.despite the other OEMs mostly using Sony sensors, the Sony phones usually take slightly worse images. also, the GS4 teardown shows that the GS4 does indeed use the exact same Exmor RS sensor in the Z.

everything else in there is spot on.

Hrothgar

I decided my trusty Sony Ericsson K750i had served its time and bought the Z as my first smartphone. Was thinking of waiting for the S4, but with Sony's better design (and the S4 not being all that impressive) and the great deal I managed to get for the Z, I am very satisfied.

I just need one of those DK26 docking stations, but it doesn't seem to be for sale in my country yet.

Akira

I decided my trusty Sony Ericsson K750i had served its time and bought the Z as my first smartphone. Was thinking of waiting for the S4, but with Sony's better design (and the S4 not being all that impressive) and the great deal I managed to get for the Z, I am very satisfied.

I just need one of those D26 docking stations, but it doesn't seem to be for sale in my country yet.

Um, holy crap. I had the K750i too and loved it, but I can't even remember when I replaced it and how many phones I've had since then. Congrats on joining the modern world. :p

sunnz

They are both the flagship phones, only the Z is available in a wider market. They each have their own advantage as well over the other. The Z is slimmer, waterproof, dustproof and has the glass back, giving it a premium look and feel. The ZL is smaller, but has the same size screen meaning it will fit better in the hand. It also has a camera shutter button and an IR blaster to use it as a universal remote

So the ZL is not water and dust proof?

Hrothgar

Um, holy crap. I had the K750i too and loved it, but I can't even remember when I replaced it and how many phones I've had since then. Congrats on joining the modern world. :p

Haha, thanks. With everyone around me being consumed by their fancy phones for the past few years, I finally had to see for myself what all the fuss was about ;)

Chinner

Banned
nyet

Z = waterproof/dustproof, glass build quality, bigger
ZL = smaller (Same screen size though), not water/dust proof, IR blaster, dedicated camera button, not glass

those are basically the differences

id also feel more safe with ZL seeing as (for the time being at least), you wont get the screen lottery

sunnz

nyet

Z = waterproof/dustproof, glass build quality, bigger
ZL = smaller (Same screen size though), not water/dust proof, IR blaster, dedicated camera button, not glass

those are basically the differences

Wow, that actually does make it hard to choose which one to get lol.

I hope the phone shops have both to try!

I never have been into spending so much on a phone and literally have had a £20 phone for the last 2 years and it serves me well, but this is just too beautiful.

I was planning on the S4 but something about this Z/ZL just wins me over.
Time for an upgrade, it will most likely be be the Z/ZL but not sure which one.

Top Bottom