• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Danj

Just talked to Three, apparently if you got charged £69 for your Xperia Z but have not received the phone yet (this is the critical bit) they are prepared to refund you due to the new offer of no upfront cost.

EDIT: on the down side it does mean a few more days' delay before I get mine :( but I get my £69 back, yay!

If anyone in Canada sees this at a Bell store (or rogers store) any time soon since it seems to be launching in 2 weeks ish, let me know. I want to see this thang in person.

Good arguments. Did a little research myself. You are right, I will probably wait for the SP. Thanks man!

It won't be a long wait. Should be out in a week or so. That's why the announcement was delayed from MWC, give the Z/ZL more focus and reduce the time from announcement of devices to their general release.

Slightly off topic, but I just bought a Sony Xperia ion LT28A for 250 bucks. Is that phone good? I couldn't find any reviews of it online.

I'm gonna try looking at one tomorrow where I am. I hear they're willing to do a trade-in so I'll see how much I can get if I trade in my arc for it.

Danj

Not 10bit, why wouldn't you just encode to 8bit?

Because for reasons known only to fansubbers, any anime files that aren't taken from an online stream end up as 10-bit mkvs. Transcoding them is a pain in the arse, but I'm wondering if a phone like the Z with a suitably beefy CPU can handle 720p software decoding of 10-bit mkvs using something like MX Player.

Because for reasons known only to fansubbers, any anime files that aren't taken from an online stream end up as 10-bit mkvs. Transcoding them is a pain in the arse, but I'm wondering if a phone like the Z with a suitably beefy CPU can handle 720p software decoding of 10-bit mkvs using something like MX Player.

It can't. They play in MXPlayer but they're not the smoothest :/

I think I believe what bbq said about all the ZLs having the good screen. I saw someone on xda post a comparison and it was visible there. I think it might be true for all of them.

Coming with s600 is probably too good to be true though :p

Yeah I checked and couldn't get much confirmation on anything. I think partly because none of my contacts know the exact details. Also interesting is that there is no mention of possible subsidies, but my guess is we will and the phone will cost $100 bucks, creating a dual pricing structure between the old xperia and the new one. Just my 2 cents

noobie

Banned
is sony going to release any dual sim phone in mid range or high end.. ?
will prefer something similar to Xperia SP but with dual sim

More I look at this phone, the more I long for it. But I'm on Verizon. And AT&T and T Mobile in my area coverage is crap. No way I'd go to them.

Looks like it was never meant to be.

Oshimai

I'm torn between this and the S4. I like the aesthetics of the Xperia Z but the innards of the S4 seem to be a lot nicer.

My contract expires in a few months so I'll still have a bit of time to decide.

vivftp

I'm torn between this and the S4. I like the aesthetics of the Xperia Z but the innards of the S4 seem to be a lot nicer.

My contract expires in a few months so I'll still have a bit of time to decide.

Keep in mind Sony has another flagship due out in the second half of this year. If you have a few months to go, the timing might work out to get that instead. I am going to likely skip the ZL launch in Canada in the coming weeks and get either the phablet or the 2H flagship. Either one should be able to easily take on the GS4 and in the case of the phablet, the Note 3 will be its main competitor.

Keep in mind Sony has another flagship due out in the second half of this year. If you have a few months to go, the timing might work out to get that instead. I am going to likely skip the ZL launch in Canada in the coming weeks and get either the phablet or the 2H flagship. Either one should be able to easily take on the GS4 and in the case of the phablet, the Note 3 will be its main competitor.

sony_xperia_togari_644_zoll_display.jpg

Sony Xperia Togari, 6.44" phablet, will make the Note 2 look like a midget. I'm very excited, Snapdragon 800, 3GB ram and 3500 mAh battery. I'll probably get one as a tablet.

vivftp

According to zomg the Sony phablet will use a Sharp 6.1" panel. Apparently it will have a resolution of 2560x1600.

Other rumors on the phablet are a 3500mah battery, 8mp camera, Sony stylus, S800 processor, 3-4 gigs of RAM, 6mm thick and waterproof like the Z. I wouldn't be surprised if it had an IR blaster too.

If only it had the rumored improved camera of the 2H flagship, I would consider it to be all around perfect.

pswii60

OK peeps, does my gf get this Xperia Z, or does she wait and get the new 8-core Galaxy? What are the pros and cons between each? Are you lot happy with your Zs?

She's currently an iPhone 4 owner looking for a change.

According to zomg the Sony phablet will use a Sharp 6.1" panel. Apparently it will have a resolution of 2560x1600.

Other rumors on the phablet are a 3500mah battery, 8mp camera, Sony stylus, S800 processor, 3-4 gigs of RAM, 6mm thick and waterproof like the Z. I wouldn't be surprised if it had an IR blaster too.

If only it had the rumored improved camera of the 2H flagship, I would consider it to be all around perfect.

The phablet can't come soon enough!

OK peeps, does my gf get this Xperia Z, or does she wait and get the new 8-core Galaxy? What are the pros and cons between each? Are you lot happy with your Zs?

Z:
Design
Waterproof
Sony skin

S4:
Battery
Slightly better specs

Screen is subjective, the Z's has bad viewing angles and not so good blacks while the S4s amoled(using s3 as reference) has oversaturated colors and not so good whites.

Overall, iPhone users jumping ship to Android will feel comfortable with Z due to the classy look and premium feel.

Fezan

The phablet can't come soon enough!

Z:
Design
Waterproof
Sony skin

S4:
Battery
Slightly better specs

Screen is subjective, the Z's has bad viewing angles and not so good blacks while the S4s amoled(using s3 as reference) has oversaturated colors and not so good whites.

Overall, iPhone users jumping ship to Android will feel comfortable with Z due to the classy look and premium feel.
Nah screen is clearly better ofs4 but it's bad if you do a lot of reading due to pentile matrix setup.
Also s4 had lot of gimmicks eyescrolling gestures etc which give very good early impression even if no one uses them after a week.
lastly Sony is still using some shity image processing algorithms so image output ofs4 will be better.

spwolf

for gf, Z is much nicer choice... get her violet one.

spwolf

It won't be a long wait. Should be out in a week or so. That's why the announcement was delayed from MWC, give the Z/ZL more focus and reduce the time from announcement of devices to their general release.

do we know anything or? some stores have put up early may for sales but could be placeholders....

Fezan

Cross post for those that are interested.

these pictures looks almost alike beside strange softening filter used in xperia..
the videos posted in gsmarena section are almost identical too.

btw nib you always in this thread posting something only positive about samsung :)

nib95

Banned
these pictures looks almost alike beside strange softening filter used in xperia..
the videos posted in gsmarena section are almost identical too.

btw nib you always in this thread posting something only positive about samsung :)

Lol sorry. Truth be told I really wanted to switch over to Sony, but they dropped the ball on a few things and I hope with enough noise they fix those things up.

how does this compare to the burst shot pictures? ironically burst shots are significantly better that the normal shots

I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure.

Fezan

Lol sorry. Truth be told I really wanted to switch over to Sony, but they dropped the ball on a few things and I hope with enough noise they fix those things up.

I'm afraid I'm not entirely sure.
Actually I am on the same boat

sony_xperia_togari_644_zoll_display.jpg

Sony Xperia Togari, 6.44" phablet, will make the Note 2 look like a midget. I'm very excited, Snapdragon 800, 3GB ram and 3500 mAh battery. I'll probably get one as a tablet.
Bloody hell on the size! I am envisioning a future where many people talk through video chat with their gigantic phablet.

Fezan

They should make the Z pictures in burstmode. S4 has same sony sensor i believe, so it should be the same.

its not gsm arena fault that a company which is leading in image sensors and has the best imaging division is making such shitty algorithms which smear Vaseline all over the pic and also gives unnatural colours

And regarding screen viewing angels i dont know what has become to sony lately but here is my old xperia with excellent viewing angles . colour shift is due to lightning condition. you can almost read any thing at any angle you want

Chinner

Banned
its not gsm arena fault that a company which is leading in image sensors and has the best imaging division is making such shitty algorithms which smear Vaseline all over the pic and also gives unnatural colours
fair comment really

Akira

Yup, lapses of corporate incompetence that made a great phone into a flawed phone. But something that can be easily fixed in a software update.

Fezan

Apparently the battery time after few charges is same as s3 so no worry on that regard

edit : as i am on the verge of buying new phone and doing some research here is a thing that i found some what intresting

Also being announced today is the Snapdragon 600. This part integrates four Krait 300 cores running at up to 1.9GHz. Adreno 320 handles GPU duties, although with an increased clock speed. Compared to the current Snapdragon S4, the 600 is expected to improve performance by up to 40% if you combine IPC and frequency increases.

The new Snapdragon 600 is also known by the part number APQ8064T, and was formerly known as the Snapdragon S4 Pro.

Apparently the battery time after few charges is same as s3 so no worry on that regard

edit : as i am on the verge of buying new phone and doing some research here is a thing that i found some what intresting

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6754/hands-on-with-the-htc-one-formerly-m7/2

This is quad core Krait 300 (as opposed to 200 in MSM8960 or APQ8064) which brings a 15 percent increase in IPC as well as higher clocks (from 1.5 to 1.7 GHz), for about 20–30 percent higher overall CPU performance.

Danj

Don't forget that not all markets are getting the 8-core S4. The US and UK are already confirmed as not getting it.

vivftp

This is OT, but there are rumblings from another forum about Sony either working on a new OS or a new app ecosystem. It may or may not be for mobile, and news on it is possibly months away.

Very vague, and possibly false stuff I know... still, anyone heard anything along these lines?

This is OT, but there are rumblings from another forum about Sony either working on a new OS or a new app ecosystem. It may or may not be for mobile, and news on it is possibly months away.

Very vague, and possibly false stuff I know... still, anyone heard anything along these lines?

Firefox OS?

http://youtu.be/brPUMnGV4Y4

Xperia ZL screen beats the HTC One according to this guy's comparison video. :p

Edit: That purple theme on the ZL is ugly though. Thought the screen wasn't calibrated correctly for a while there.

Thats the theme I currently use :p

Mario007

Kaz mentioned Sony has the PlayStation OS that it plans on growing. Also remember that Vita OS was meant to be built in a way that it could be expanded to other devices.

Top Bottom