• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Chinner

Banned
i''m still doing my battery in so i'm starting to get longer charges out of it. but finding the battery a bit inconsistent, web browsing will drain my battery pretty quick, but if i were to play games i would probably get 4-5 hours of it atm.

not sure if chrome is the culprit.

4 hours if I'm lucky with heavy browsing and some games.

I get 5 hours screen time normally with heavy browsing music and emails. I don't play games though

i''m still doing my battery in so i'm starting to get longer charges out of it. but finding the battery a bit inconsistent, web browsing will drain my battery pretty quick, but if i were to play games i would probably get 4-5 hours of it atm.

not sure if chrome is the culprit.

Thanks guys. Sounds pretty similar to my N4 then..... *hurm*

I thought you'd all be getting a few extra hours out of it. I've noticed on the GF's Xperia T a lot of the Sony software tends to keep the phone awake more than I'd like, so maybe a few updates from Sony will fix those wakelocks.

Chinner

Banned
Yah I'm not sure if it's a problem with chrome or a problem with chrome on Xperia, but it does drain battery too fast.

I do like using chrome allot, but it's a bit unforgivable at the moment. Can anyone else suggest another browser?

Mario007

Yah I'm not sure if it's a problem with chrome or a problem with chrome on Xperia, but it does drain battery too fast.

I do like using chrome allot, but it's a bit unforgivable at the moment. Can anyone else suggest another browser?
Stock android browser. Works fast and doesn't drain so much.

JonnyBrad

Just out of interest chaps. Rather like on IOS the majority of the browsers on the store use the android browser rendering engine. So they're all about the same in terms of speed/smoothness. Dolphin is a wrapper for the stock browser.

Notable exceptions to this are Opera, Firexfox and Chrome.

Chrome is still wonky on android because its literally using the main chrome code base as a source which when they started wasn't optimised for mobile. Its gradually getting better but it is still way behind the stock browser. It also has a lot more going on under the hood which is slowing it down. They'll get there eventually.

So when you think some random loan developer has managed to produce a smoother rendering browser than google. They usually haven't.

Chinner

Banned
Yeah Firefox seems alright. will test the battery life out. am I able to use the url bar like a search engine?

edit: it's fine now. it's there anyway to sync up to my chrome on my computer? our do I have to switch to Firefox?

Chinner

Banned
initial impressions: Firefox is way quicker than chrome. I thought it was slow because of weak internet signal, nope turns out it was just chrome being slow.

Nah they could have made their own from the stock. Samsung are shipping their own with GS4, which is basically a modded stock browser.

Yeah, I mean by default it's not there so it was by choice to put it or not. They went with 4.1 default which is Chrome.

Odd, I'm running 4.2 on Transformer and stock is there. Sony should have kept it.

Did it ship with it? I assume it launched with ICS which had it, I don't think I heard about an OEM removing stock browser later.

Mario007

Stock Browser is actually included in most of the Carrier Branded Z Roms but for the rest you do need Root to install it.
Ha, wow. That is quite a weird situation.
Yeah, I mean by default it's not there so it was by choice to put it or not. They went with 4.1 default which is Chrome.

Did it ship with it? I assume it launched with ICS which had it, I don't think I heard about an OEM removing stock browser later.
Yeah it shipped with it as it launched with ICS. That would explain things, I guess.

spwolf

I only use Opera Mini, both Android and iOS... up to 10x less bandwith used, I only spend 200-250 MB of 3G per month, I had standard Chrome for 2 days and it spent that much :).

sammich

My rogers phone already had chrome installed on it along with the default browser. After using it for a day it seems to pretty much last a day, with intermittent charging. But heavy usage as im learning to use it/play with it and install stuff etc.

I tried rooting my phone so that i can format my sd card to exfat or wahtever but it seems that i cant :( Might be doing something wrong... plus im scared to screw up the phone.

Oh and a usability question here:

Is there a way that messages that i get are shown on the lock screen instead/wake up my phone instead of having to unlock the phone, go into the app to read the message? Kind of annoying.

MutFox

Banned
Question about the ZL home button.
When holdong it, gesturing up brings a Google search.
Is it possible to change that or add more gestures?

Hrothgar

Replaced Chrome with Firefox and my battery life no longer plummets while browsing, nor does my phone overheat anymore.

It's a shame really, because I preferred Chrome.

I didn't care much for Small Apps but went through the play store and got twitter app and that feature is awesome.

There's many others but are not for me, like a Web browser and a video player. Ala, S3.

Top Bottom