• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

davidnic

Yeah the moment I start browsing with Chrome my battery life starts to plummet.

Firefox is very good for battery life, feature wise it's fine. Chrome is better in that aspect.

I don't know how gsmarena got 6 hours.

Looks like I am switching to firefox, I do like\ love chrome mainly cause of the bookmark sync\ history but if it going to drain my battery life I am switching. Till Google fix chrome up that is...

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Anyone know how well Chrono Trigger and the FF games run on this phone?

That and is it normal that the Android App store is filled with "undress this girl" and related "games"?

VoxPop

Anyone know how well Chrono Trigger and the FF games run on this phone?

That and is it normal that the Android App store is filled with "undress this girl" and related "games"?

They should run perfectly. Even better with a controller. I don't understand how people play SNES games with the touchscreen.

sammich

They should run perfectly. Even better with a controller. I don't understand how people play SNES games with the touchscreen.

Yea i tried.. and its a bit of a pain.

Any good rpgs on android that i can kill my time with? Hopefully one that doesnt require an internet connection as i will be playing on the train.

Any good rpgs on android that i can kill my time with? Hopefully one that doesnt require an internet connection as i will be playing on the train.

I enjoyed Zenonia. They're up to Zenonia 4 or 5 so I've lost lost count, but the first one is pretty good imo.
Edit: My favourite is Dragonball Z: Legacy of Goku II. It's amazingly playable on a GBA emulator with a touchscreen, you don't really need the shoulder buttons in that game.

Detox

I enjoy playing Puzzle Quest 2, you need to activate it with an internet connection but then you're good to go.

tzare

seriously, it's amazing that people even attempt to play SNES stuff with just a touch screen. well, at least Sony is taking a bit more serious route with the upcoming PS3 controller compatibility being baked in.

<3 Sixaxis Controller

Sony's offical DS3 support for Xperia devices could be really great combined with hdmi out or wifi direct to play some serious gaming on android, many people own ps3 so it could be a winner move if they do it right

plainr_

Sony's offical DS3 support for Xperia devices could be really great combined with hdmi out or wifi direct to play some serious gaming on android, many people own ps3 so it could be a winner move if they do it right

Holy shit. Official support from Sony?

Cerity

Only the internal SD gets formatted. Just back it up. Both BE and gracenote aren't a big loss to me, BE oversaturates the image, you can also install modded versions of it if you really miss it. Gracenote fucked up a huge chunk of my music library, so I don't touch it at all now.

Renoir

I'm debating whether to get this or nexus 4.
xperiaz got that memory card slot. and we'll.. just sexy as fuck.
nexus got same guts a little less sexy. and no expendable memory.

my concern is battery. and modding.

is the molding community on board?
I have a rebound now and even though it's modded, the updates are scarce, I can even get MIUI on this thing without having to worry about the radios going bonkers.

I know now a days battery lasting a full day is wishful thinking. but I read about the xperia stamina mode. is the mode worthless. who ever has the device and surf all day give me your verdict.

also if I get this with tmo is there going to be a big tmo sticker ruining the sexyness?

Asimov

Banned
Just a suggestion.

You guys should try Opera Beta. It doesn't use a lot of battery, plus the interface is slick as fuck (especially the new Speed Dial).

But the best part is Off-Road mode. It saves a lot on mobile data, specially if you guys are not on an unlimited data plan. Just be aware, if you activate Off-Road, some things are different, for example, animated gifs are just static images, javascript is disabled, etc. But it is excellent. According to the software, I used 6.5MB instead of the original 55MB I received, just today. That's over 80% of data savings.

Also, the fast scroll button is neat. Also, they are using WebKit now, so it should render the websites similar to Firefox and Chrome.

Just keep in mind that it is still on Beta. The only I don't like is that it still doesn't have the option to turn on Off-Road automatically when on mobile and turn off Off-Road automatically when in WiFi (like Opera Turbo worked on the old Opera version).

Asimov

Banned
does opera beta have a different UI to ordinary opera?

Oh, yes.

Very different. Very slick. Looks modern and minimalist, and the new speed Dial looks great (specially the NeoGAF bookmark... it automatically reads the logo). Also, you can create folders of bookmarks in the Speed Dial.

Oh, yes.

Very different. Very slick. Looks modern and minimalist, and the new speed Dial looks great (specially the NeoGAF bookmark... it automatically reads the logo). Also, you can create folders of bookmarks in the Speed Dial.

Opera Mobile is already my fav. browser, thanks for the heads up, I'll download it. Hope the performance is better than Opera Mobile.

The Sony packaged apps are really good. Back up and restore = no need to use Carbon, Walkman, Sony Car, SmallApps, even the FM Radio app is really cool.

You kept that sticker on?

I took mine off the first day
I thought it looked slick and thought it was going to stay there for a while.

SRG01

Oh, yes.

The menu bar is on the top!! :(

spwolf

Just a suggestion.

You guys should try Opera Beta. It doesn't use a lot of battery, plus the interface is slick as fuck (especially the new Speed Dial).

But the best part is Off-Road mode. It saves a lot on mobile data, specially if you guys are not on an unlimited data plan. Just be aware, if you activate Off-Road, some things are different, for example, animated gifs are just static images, javascript is disabled, etc. But it is excellent. According to the software, I used 6.5MB instead of the original 55MB I received, just today. That's over 80% of data savings.

Also, the fast scroll button is neat. Also, they are using WebKit now, so it should render the websites similar to Firefox and Chrome.

Just keep in mind that it is still on Beta. The only I don't like is that it still doesn't have the option to turn on Off-Road automatically when on mobile and turn off Off-Road automatically when in WiFi (like Opera Turbo worked on the old Opera version).

so off-road is basically Opera Mini tech?

I cant believe how many people never heard of Opera Mini... basically lowers your browser internet usage by factor of 10x.

Asimov

Banned
so off-road is basically Opera Mini tech?

I cant believe how many people never heard of Opera Mini... basically lowers your browser internet usage by factor of 10x.

Oh, I have used Opera Mini, and it is the same tech, yes. In fact, the Opera Mobile also has the same tech and it's called Opera Turbo (Opera Mini was my main browser before Opera Beta).

And yes, Off-Road is the same tech.

sammich

Playing PAd on this thing seems to drain the battery faster than it charges(computer) plus it gets might warm. Ive been putting some heavy use on it, seems that it lasts me around a day.

Oh, I have used Opera Mini, and it is the same tech, yes. In fact, the Opera Mobile also has the same tech and it's called Opera Turbo (Opera Mini was my main browser before Opera Beta).

And yes, Off-Road is the same tech.

Opera Turbo isn't really the same as what Opera Mini uses. Opera Turbo basically compresses data on a webpage in order to load the page faster. Opera Mini takes it another level. It compresses pages and it doesn't load non-crucial images. If you browse GAF with opera mini, all the images are "cencored". You basically don't see a single image unless you click on one.

Asimov

Banned
Opera Turbo isn't really the same as what Opera Mini uses. Opera Turbo basically compresses data on a webpage in order to load the page faster. Opera Mini takes it another level. It compresses pages and it doesn't load non-crucial images. If you browse GAF with opera mini, all the images are "cencored". You basically don't see a single image unless you click on one.

Opera Mini and Opera Mobile (not the beta) are basically the same, but Opera Mobile acts as a full browser and as Opera Mini (Opera Turbo function).

Opera Mini doesn't act like you say by default. You have deactivated the image loading in the settings.

What I like about Opera Mobile is that there is a setting to turn on Turbo automatically if the app detects that you are on mobile data and turn it off when it detects that you are on Wifi. That's the one feature I don't like about the Beta so far.

SRG01

Opera Mini and Opera Mobile (not the beta) are basically the same, but Opera Mobile acts as a full browser and as Opera Mini (Opera Turbo function).

Opera Mini doesn't act like you say by default. You have deactivated the image loading in the settings.

What I like about Opera Mobile is that there is a setting to turn on Turbo automatically if the app detects that you are on mobile data and turn it off when it detects that you are on Wifi. That's the one feature I don't like about the Beta so far.

Correct. Also, Turbo/Mini run the info onto their servers, which compresses it. It's a technique similar to BIS.

spwolf

Opera Mobile's turbo settings is not the same as Opera Mini... I made mistake of thinking it is the same, and Opera Mobile managed to spend some 150 MB of data for me in 2 days, where Opera Mini would spend 200 MB in complete month. Difference was huge.

So nope, not the same.

Beta seems to compress via their proxy servers, but images look worse, even on high... data usage is low though.

Mario007

wasnt this Gaf>Internet>Gaf? We knew about this 10+ days ago, and it was originally posted here :):

hopefully he didnt get in trouble...
Ya I got that number from esato and zomg half-confirmed it saying Sony shipped 5 million and at places are having trouble keeping with the demand.

SRG01

Saw someone buy the ZL today... also got to check out the demo unit in person. I don't see any issues with the screen.

However, there's a pretty significant dealbreaker: turning the screen on and off really quickly makes the phone lag up a bit, and sometimes I can see the home screen before the lockscreen appears. :/

Well, I just home... with my new Xperia ZL! Had to cancel my contract with Rogers and move to Bell, but I have a better service area with Bell and cheaper monthly bill for much more services. It'll be around $125 for the cancelation and another month of bills, but then I'm done with them. Nothing outright wrong with Rogers. In fact, when I phoned them today to get information on how much it would cost to cancel my contract early, they were pretty helpful and really nice. I also never had issues with my billing or anything. They just have terrible coverage outside of the major cities in Saskatchewan and I travel often and lose service or get booted down to old EDGE speeds... Bell is running on SaskTel towers, so I'll have LTE in the city and HSPA+ outside, so it is worth it on that alone.

All in all, it is a beautiful phone. It does get a bit hot after use though, but I have been using it non-stop to drain the battery. The screen is absolutely beautiful though; so incredibly clear. The size is pretty amazing considering the size of the screen. The power button is really nice, too. It feels really good.

Also, the LED light is best thing ever. Such a subtle touch but it is so nice. Really impressed.

EDIT: I have a dead pixel right above and to the right side of the home screen icon... worst spot for it.
EDIT 2: Might be gone for now... maybe it was just a hickup. I'll give it a day and see if it stays away.

Haven't been keeping up, are there any news whether or not this will come to a us carrier other than that niche one in colorado (or something like that)?

Xperia A/C550x/Dogo:

IQ97d9K.jpg

Better specs than Z/ZL but only a 4.6" 720p screen. Lolsome fucking company. LOLOLOLOL.

Im looking to buy this phone next week (under 2yr contract) and I have some questions regarding choosing right sample of the phone.

My carrier provider (Telenor) assured me that I can choose between Xperia Zs they have, since i was loyal customer last couple of years, so I can be satisfied with black/contrast/viewing angle, but Im not that comfortable to open every box in their shop just to check what screen it is and is black good and if viewing angles are good to, so I wanted to ask:

Is there manufactured date somewhere on the package?

Is there connection between serial number and manufacturer date on the phone or somewhere inside the package?

Is there some stock photo with real black and good gradient so I can check it easily?

I have iphone 4s since release, so, what's the easiest way to compare contrast, gradient, of course quick way, since I can not transfer images from iphone to other phones...

Since I have iphone 4s, is this good upgrade or i should skip it? (i already decided i just want to see what people thinks who moved from iphone to this phone.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Cerity

No real way to find out what panel you have without rooting. But the display issues are pretty exaggerated, the default gray that sony use on the UI makes it look even more washed out at tricky angles than a standard black.

As more comparisons of the two panels come out, the differences just seem to be more in the calibration of them as well. The sharp panels by default are on the warm side and the jdc panels are pretty saturated. Both of which can be fixed with the white balance mod that is around.

Top Bottom