• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Any Canadians here using the Xperia Z in Canada? I have a contract with Robbers. Would the LTE work fine?

Knight77

Sorry, didn't get a chance to get back to here earlier. I have saturation at 7.5 and hue at 56.8. Not sure what the XDA guys are basing it on but mine are measured with a spectrophotometer.

What about the brightness? Which level? And set to automatic? Thanks

My battery life has been improving. I'm at about 4 hours and 30 minutes screen time now. WiFi on, sometimes 3G on, browsing and about 30 minutes of GTAIII.

My battery life has been improving. I'm at about 4 hours and 30 minutes screen time now. WiFi on, sometimes 3G on, browsing and about 30 minutes of GTAIII.

Sony batteries take around 15 cycles to get to decent levels and around 100 cycles to get to peak performance. If you've had it for around 4-5 weeks then you will be reaching the peak performance levels now.

I've heard Sony do this to lengthen the overall life of the battery from ~1500 (750 cycle half life, about 18 months until the battery life halves) cycles to ~2500 cycles. It means Sony phones get worse reviews for battery life since review units are not broken in, but the user will get a better overall experience.

Omlagus

What about the brightness? Which level? And set to automatic? Thanks

Well for the purpose of the measurements I had the auto brightness adjustment turned off, so it wouldn't change anything during readings. I also put brightness on max. But again, this was just while I was doing measurements. I personally wouldn't keep it at max as it was pretty eye meltingly bright. Measured was around 160 ftL. (Contrast ratio was 1569:1 I forgot that in my original post)

Max brightness would also kill your battery pretty quick, so I would say put the brightness at a level that is comfortable for you. Mine is around 60% or so.

Wow, 1500:1 contrast ratio. Amazing really, and blows away the idea that the screen is washed out. It really is just the ridiculous grey UI elements that kill the reviews for it. Such a stupid fucking decision. If they wanted to make it grey then they had to make it light grey, not dark grey that just looks like washed out black.

JonnyBrad

Wow, 1500:1 contrast ratio. Amazing really, and blows away the idea that the screen is washed out. It really is just the ridiculous grey UI elements that kill the reviews for it. Such a stupid fucking decision. If they wanted to make it grey then they had to make it light grey, not dark grey that just looks like washed out black.

Normally I hate if I carrier touches the UI. But the Docomo version has a black UI.

Normally I hate if I carrier touches the UI. But the Docomo version has a black UI.

Yes, they obviously realised the fuck up and changed it. I hope Sony have for 4.2.2 as well. The UI needs to be 0,0,0 as deep a black as possible. If places like GSMArena do a second look with the 4.2.2 update like they did for GS3 with 4.1.2 they will magically find their screen is much better.

People who have rooted the phone on XDA have made it black. Shamefully I have no idea on how you root!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2186368

You need to be on the original firmware though for locked bootloaders. You can use flashtool to reflash the old firmware onto it, that will make rooting possible. There is a flashable modified stock ROM floating about which has a black UI, battery life optimisations and GPU acceleration enabled for the UI, but it's Z only for now. Hopefully the guy who made it ports it for ZL as well.

I really don't mind the grey bars. I think it was a deliverate design choice. Lot's of Android UI elements have the a shade of grey background that is the same as the bars, and some google apps do too. For example, the grey of Google Play fades in perfectly with the grey of the notification bar+ navigationbar.

I think my battery indicator is off btw, I've had the phone off of the charger (full charge) almost 3 hours ago and it hasn't dropped a single % with about 20 minutes screen time + wifi on the whole time.

You need to be on the original firmware though for locked bootloaders. You can use flashtool to reflash the old firmware onto it, that will make rooting possible. There is a flashable modified stock ROM floating about which has a black UI, battery life optimisations and GPU acceleration enabled for the UI, but it's Z only for now. Hopefully the guy who made it ports it for ZL as well.

I can't be the only one around here to find the notion of doing all that terrifying.

JonnyBrad

I really don't mind the grey bars. I think it was a deliverate design choice. Lot's of Android UI elements have the a shade of grey background that is the same as the bars, and some google apps do too. For example, the grey of Google Play fades in perfectly with the grey of the notification bar+ navigationbar.

I think my battery indicator is off btw, I've had the phone off of the charger (full charge) almost 3 hours ago and it hasn't dropped a single % with about 20 minutes screen time + wifi on the whole time.

Its a design choice that has backfired on them spectacularly if so. As its caused a load of scathing reviews from people not bothering to test the screen properly

I can't be the only one around here to find the notion of doing all that terrifying.

Nah, it's literally just downloading flashtool, an FTF file plugging the phone in and then running the update. It's very, very easy and you don't even need to be rooted or have an unlocked bootloader. Sony also have an official version of flashtool in the works for reasons they have yet to expand on.

I'm hoping for a new 4.3" aluminium body/ polycarbonate mid-high end Sony device. I really love my Z, but I feel like I have to be too careful with the glass body. I always look out for my stuff, my HD2 is still in a case + screenprotector after more than 3 years [looks like new], but the Z's glass breaking easily is a little uncomfortable for me.

Didn't know there's a thread about this. Hi guys and gals :D Hopefully going to grab a Z tonight!

Sony batteries take around 15 cycles to get to decent levels and around 100 cycles to get to peak performance. If you've had it for around 4-5 weeks then you will be reaching the peak performance levels now.

I've heard Sony do this to lengthen the overall life of the battery from ~1500 (750 cycle half life, about 18 months until the battery life halves) cycles to ~2500 cycles. It means Sony phones get worse reviews for battery life since review units are not broken in, but the user will get a better overall experience.

Actually came in to ask about this, that's a relief.

That'd be pretty amazing, I may finally connect the phone to the TV then!

Omlagus

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with the battery life on my ZL. Granted I wasn't on it a ton on the weekend, but that will probably more closely mimic how it is during the week, since i won't have it out all the time at work.

I actually managed to get nearly 35 hours from fully charged down to 1% battery. And that was without stamina mode! If it gets better with a few charges and with stamina mode on I'm going to be very happy. :D

Marco1

I have had an offer for my iphone5 and £50 in exchange for a Z but with that great screen and Sony design I honestly don't know what's stopping me go for it!

Marco1

I was playing real racing 3 on this phone and the battery dropped really quickly, the phone had gotten real hot and the frame rate wasn't that great.
WHY????

Because you're playing in 1080p and the game is not optimised for that? Opera Mobile runs better on my 2009 HD2 than on my Xperia Z.

Mokubba

My battery life is a lot better. I get about 5 hours screen time with heavy use.

I'm hoping for a new 4.3" aluminium body/ polycarbonate mid-high end Sony device. I really love my Z, but I feel like I have to be too careful with the glass body. I always look out for my stuff, my HD2 is still in a case + screenprotector after more than 3 years [looks like new], but the Z's glass breaking easily is a little uncomfortable for me.

VilkaMJ.png

Coming to T-Mobile? Would be sweet since I'm thinking of switching from at&t. Their new no contract/actually own the phone plan is really tempting.

Hope Sony/T-Mob get it out quickly.

On a more general note.

I was talking to a few people on my flight yesterday we all agreed that there was a rare opportunity at the beginning of the year for Sony and HTC to overhaul Samsung as the market leader for premium devices.

I really believe if Sony had nailed the execution with Z and not bothered with ZL until August/Sept Samsung would be in deep trouble. I was looking at some survey data over the weekend, the number one reason people aren't buying Xperia Z is screen quality, as we've discovered in this thread it's a combination of poor early panels and a grey UI which has given the phone a reputation for having a middling screen when in fact it has a great one (industry leading contrast ratio and colour reproduction when properly calibrated).

Again, if Sony had nailed the screen (no grey UI, Sharp panels from the off) and turned GPU rendering on for eDream, all lingering doubts over the phone would not exist and people would have little reason to wait for GS4 so they would get a much better foothold in the top end market than they have (though they are doing well).

It's that last 5% that Sony failed on which has lost them the chance to overhaul Samsung, launching early was the right thing to do, in their place I would have got the phone out in early Feb with a worldwide launch on GSM carriers in the US by the end of March with SD600 on board. Sony should have paid whatever it took to get SD600 in and for exclusive supply of Sharp's 5" 1080p screen. That last 5% stopped Sony this time around, and chances like these come very rarely indeed with HTC fucking up with delivery and Samsung not getting GS4 out as early as possible.

I thought the whole reason the Z didn't come the US was because Sony wanted the design to stay clean of carrier branding? How is a big fat T-Mo on the back support that decision?
Maybe Sony saw that the Z is succesful and wanted to expand to other markets.

Omlagus

Hope Sony/T-Mob get it out quickly.

On a more general note.

I was talking to a few people on my flight yesterday we all agreed that there was a rare opportunity at the beginning of the year for Sony and HTC to overhaul Samsung as the market leader for premium devices.

I really believe if Sony had nailed the execution with Z and not bothered with ZL until August/Sept Samsung would be in deep trouble. I was looking at some survey data over the weekend, the number one reason people aren't buying Xperia Z is screen quality, as we've discovered in this thread it's a combination of poor early panels and a grey UI which has given the phone a reputation for having a middling screen when in fact it has a great one (industry leading contrast ratio and colour reproduction when properly calibrated).

Again, if Sony had nailed the screen (no grey UI, Sharp panels from the off) and turned GPU rendering on for eDream, all lingering doubts over the phone would not exist and people would have little reason to wait for GS4 so they would get a much better foothold in the top end market than they have (though they are doing well).

It's that last 5% that Sony failed on which has lost them the chance to overhaul Samsung, launching early was the right thing to do, in their place I would have got the phone out in early Feb with a worldwide launch on GSM carriers in the US by the end of March with SD600 on board. Sony should have paid whatever it took to get SD600 in and for exclusive supply of Sharp's 5" 1080p screen. That last 5% stopped Sony this time around, and chances like these come very rarely indeed with HTC fucking up with delivery and Samsung not getting GS4 out as early as possible.

zomg, do you think all this is just going to delay Sony's rise in the ranks of Android OEM's or are they done?

I'd like to think that the couple of mis-steps with the screen will simply delay things more than if they had completely nailed it. True they had a huge opportunity this year, but the Z seemed to have a lot of buzz early in the year. I would hope that it is all helping to strengthen Sony and the Xperia brand such that they can be seen as a viable alternative to Samsung.

Personally, the HTC One does nothing for me, and I'm completely happy with my ZL so far. Hopefully they can continue to improve things as they move forward, so they continue to grow.

I thought the whole reason the Z didn't come the US was because Sony wanted the design to stay clean of carrier branding? How is a big fat T-Mo on the back support that decision?
Maybe Sony saw that the Z is succesful and wanted to expand to other markets.

Software branding. Amazingly, if this works out then T-Mobile will be the only carrier in the US to have all of the major OEMs on board. With the new spectrum they have and the possible merger with MetroPCS I feel that as a carrier they can take the fight to AT&T if they continue to expand on their European attitude towards phones. I've heard rumours about a possible Vodafone/AT&T merger which would further liberalise US carriers since Voda would be the larger partner and hold a larger stake. All of these moves will help US consumers get better access to the latest phones on more carriers with less interference.

zomg, do you think all this is just going to delay Sony's rise in the ranks of Android OEM's or are they done?

I'd like to think that the couple of mis-steps with the screen will simply delay things more than if they had completely nailed it. True they had a huge opportunity this year, but the Z seemed to have a lot of buzz early in the year. I would hope that it is all helping to strengthen Sony and the Xperia brand such that they can be seen as a viable alternative to Samsung.

Personally, the HTC One does nothing for me, and I'm completely happy with my ZL so far. Hopefully they can continue to improve things as they move forward, so they continue to grow.

Just a misstep, in Europe and Asia SMC are on a very high growth trajectory. I just feel that if they nailed it they would be causing much more problems for Samsung rather than just overtaking HTC and the other more minor OEMs. In the end I think they will still grow and do well and continue to grow their market share.

I think next year the main Android brands will be Galaxy and Xperia, but in the US Sony won't have much of a presence so the perception will be Galaxy only because of the domination of US based media. My guess is Sony will ship around 65m phones and 5m tablets in 2013 and they will be well ahead of the best of the rest but well behind Samsung on 300m Android devices shipped.

Mokubba

The brand is definitely growing. I've had many people speak to me about my Z.

I went to see some family last week and people knew and wanted the phone. One of them asked me to dunk it in water and then he took it round to show everyone with it in a bowl of water lol. This time last year I doubt they had even heard of Xperia.
The Z has also gone back to No.1 on GSM arena for daily hits. It doesn't mean much and I expect the S4 to get the spot back once the marketing kicks in but still the Z's done well..

I agree with Zomq that they could have nailed it but I'm just glad they made the best decision of showing it off at CES and releasing it in advance of the One and S4. After seeing how the XS and XT were behind the competition. The Z with it's looks and features came at the right time.

Finally managed to grab a Z. Holy shit the screen is amazing.

Keyboard is a little strange though.

Does it have some kind of advanced vibration? Feels a lot more dynamic than normal.

Akira

We've had the Z dipped in water, Chinese hot pot soup, and even sulfuric acid. Add hot chocolate to the mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE79SD9xtRo

I'm hoping the H2 Sony flagship will be as tough/water-resistant as the Z. There were a few people who disparaged that feature in the Yuga/Odin rumor thread (mostly tino), but that's pretty much what has made the Z a big hit so far. It's the first water-resistant flagship phone. All you see on Youtube or Twitter are people showing off that feature.

Top Bottom