• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Cerity

We've had the Z dipped in water, Chinese hot pot soup, and even sulfuric acid. Add hot chocolate to the mix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE79SD9xtRo

I'm hoping the H2 Sony flagship will be as tough/water-resistant as the Z. There were a few people who disparaged that feature in the Yuga/Odin rumor thread (mostly tino), but that's pretty much what has made the Z a big hit so far. It's the first water-resistant flagship phone. All you see on Youtube or Twitter are people showing off that feature.

The sulfuric acid was just warm water, the spoon that "melted" was a galium spoon.

Nice to see that it can be coated in chocolate and survive though, tempted to do my own freeze test lol.

The sulfuric acid was just warm water, the spoon that "melted" was a galium spoon.

Nice to see that it can be coated in chocolate and survive though, tempted to do my own freeze test lol.

People we get it, the Z can endure a lot. But don't do.these tests yourself. Exposure to warm temperatures and too cold temperatures damages the battery.

Mario007

A bit off topic, but I installed the Xperia Z launcher with the Xperia HD ROM on my Arc S and after about 5 days the phone suddenly shut down and won't start. I tried charging it but even the charging light is not working. So be aware everyone!

A bit off topic, but I installed the Xperia Z launcher with the Xperia HD ROM on my Arc S and after about 5 days the phone suddenly shut down and won't start. I tried charging it but even the charging light is not working. So be aware everyone!

Wow, that's an extreme failure. Must have overheated the hardware or something and killed it.

sammich

Well i finally made my decision and ordered the ZL. Cant wait. Been a while since my last phone. Also its my first Android phone and first non Iphone. So this will be fun and interesting. Is there anything you guys recommend as starting tips for my jump into the android world? I hope some or all of my apps are available on Android.

Teach me peeps! Im ready to learn.

Mario007

Wow, that's an extreme failure. Must have overheated the hardware or something and killed it.
Yeah I just managed to get it working by taking out the battery for ages and then starting it. Even at that the boot up screen was taking forever and I had to long press the power button to finally boot up the phone. It seems to be working now though. Might downclock it from 1.3 Ghz and see if that helps.

Yeah I just managed to get it working by taking out the battery for ages and then starting it. Even at that the boot up screen was taking forever and I had to long press the power button to finally boot up the phone. It seems to be working now though. Might downclock it from 1.3 Ghz and see if that helps.

Might be an idea to flash stock 4.0.4 while you wait for a Z/ZL...

Radec

Well i finally made my decision and ordered the ZL. Cant wait. Been a while since my last phone. Also its my first Android phone and first non Iphone. So this will be fun and interesting. Is there anything you guys recommend as starting tips for my jump into the android world? I hope some or all of my apps are available on Android.

You can check android apps here:

https://play.google.com/store

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2193055
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=36895253

and if you've never used google maps/navigation before - get it.

sammich

Google maps is pretty much a staple for me when my car navi doesnt have the info thats needed. I dont think included that info but i had a iPhone 4.

And thanks for those 2 links. Ive gone from not knowing anything to being overwhelmed lol.

Oh and thank you Radec as well. That helped me a lot. I pretty much found everything that i looked for so far.

Thanks!

What is Devices and why is it eating up my battery?

YnQ3YIY.png
WVWdUJV.png

Mario007

Might be an idea to flash stock 4.0.4 while you wait for a Z/ZL...
Yeah might do that. I probably won't be getting Z at all, its out of my student budget, only wanted a new ROM because Sony's ICS ROM is quite slow on the Arc S and I heard good things and benchmark scores about the Ultimate HD ROM.

Yeah might do that. I probably won't be getting Z at all, its out of my student budget, only wanted a new ROM because Sony's ICS ROM is quite slow on the Arc S and I heard good things and benchmark scores about the Ultimate HD ROM.

I'm sure once the GS4 comes out there will be a couple of good deals going around on the Z, free on £25 per month should crop up on a couple of networks.

Mario007

I'm sure once the GS4 comes out there will be a couple of good deals going around on the Z, free on £25 per month should crop up on a couple of networks.
Not in Ireland, I am quite envious of the deals you guys have in the UK (like the 3 deal with 35 a month with Z free and unlimited data). Besides I'm actually planning on leaving the country within the next year so can't tie myself down with a contract and I'll need an unlocked phone. I saw Xperia S for 313 euro on expansys, that seems to be quite a nice price, though I might just get my brother to buy Nexus 4 when he'll go back to uni in England.

Eh, hopefully once the phone rests it'll work again. I really like the Arc design and it'd be a shame to have to throw it away.

Okay so Devices is related to the Smart Connection app, disabling, re-enabling and clearing data stopped it under running apps. After losing 50% at an hour and a half of screen on time now I lost less than 10% at the same screen on time.

Chinner

Banned
yeah, i'm using my zl as a coaster for my cups at the moment. cant wait for the superior TRUE 2013 flagships ™ to come out.

How well does this play with Mac? Could I just plug it in and transfer my itunes library without any hassle? For some reason I couldn't do that with the GS3.

It really disappoints me that I haven't seen anything from Sasktel on the ZL so I don't think it is coming to them. Meaning I may have to bite the bullet and go with Bell...

I'm on Rogers right now (terrible service area in my part of the country thanks to Sasktel's grip) and my contract is up in September, but I'm willing to drop the cash to pay off the rest of my contract and go to Bell, who at least have good service and speed outside of the main cities incase I travel. At the same time, part of me wants to wait to see what Sony has planned for the rest of the year. Ugh, I hate the mobile phone industry; before you even figure out if you want a new phone the next one is just a few months down the road and it'll be even better. Especially bad in Canada and our archaic and barbaric telecommunications industry.

Decisions...

My Galaxy Note 10.1 was my first (technically second, if you count my sister's phone) encounter with Touchwiz and it was the close to the most god-awful UI I've used in my life.

Well yeah, there is touchwiz. You could always buy the S4 and then close your eyes when you use it.

Radec

My Galaxy Note 10.1 was my first (technically second, if you count my sister's phone) encounter with Touchwiz and it was the close to the most god-awful UI I've used in my life.
Or you can buy launchers in the playstore and customize the homescreen.

Id still take TW over Sony's though.

Its much easier to call or sms someone in TW than in Sony's. Imo.

I've noticed the volume when watching some shows/listening to music on my headphones is unacceptably low from my Xperia Z. I don't need it to be ear destroyingly loud, but for some things I definitely need a bit more than what this is giving me.

Is there any way to boost the overall volume?

I've noticed the volume when watching some shows/listening to music on my headphones is unacceptably low from my Xperia Z. I don't need it to be ear destroyingly loud, but for some things I definitely need a bit more than what this is giving me.

Is there any way to boost the overall volume?

Check under Sound in Settings there's two options to enhance the audio coming out of the phone. Not sure if it affects the headphones though.

I just disable my WIFI and Throw to see if that what does.

But overall I love this phone.

Me too, I just hope the battery issues are fixed and we got 4.2 soon.

MutFox

Banned
Any recommendation on a case for the ZL that doesn't cover the IR port? :|
Even the ones on Sony's site cover the IR port...

Been looking through ebay and I can't find one that doesn't cover the IR port...
How dumb are these case companies?

spwolf

Check out the review posted above. Bravia engine 2 doesn't work for the whole phone, just certain apps, plus it can over compensate.

i suggest you check the youtube review and compare to htc one... they didnt use bravia engine for most of the testing and it looked simply better... more detail and more natural colors than htc one. Engadget doesnt even know they use the same JDI screen, they think screens fall from the sky, lol.

Top Bottom