• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

lilltias

This consumes more energy. Closing apps will stress the battery more than keeping them in memory, and since you have 2gb of ram, there is no need to close apps unless they run background tasks.

I am pretty sure they know what they are doing. They cut of wireless and mobile data from apps. They don't close them.

Xperia Tablet Z added to Sony's AOSP drive, ZL coming soon.

I have it on good authority that Sony want to get AOSP ported onto the three devices by the end of July and make the firmware available on their flashtool beta software. That would allow people with unlocked bootloaders to get AOSP through official channels.

My source also said they are considering selling Xperia Z HSPA+ with AOSP via Google, they are weighing it up right now. I think $549 is the price point they are considering. That would be the Xperia Nexus everyone is waiting for.

Interesting. Google now offering flagships from both Sony and Samsung?

Samsung definitely. My source only said that they are considering selling the non-LTE version with AOSP, they aren't sure whether they will go through with it or not. The source said some within the company see it as a back door into the US market and with a decent price that still allows for profitability it could help them get high end Xperia out there. They just didn't want to go down the Nexus route because Google were insisting on a very, very low price point. Now they have relented on price ($649 GS4), Sony are said to be reconsidering their position.

I think at $499 or $449 Sony could do a lot of damage in the US being sold via Google Play, the price point would still allow for a per device profit and get the Sony name out there.

buhdeh

Xperia Tablet Z added to Sony's AOSP drive, ZL coming soon.

I have it on good authority that Sony want to get AOSP ported onto the three devices by the end of July and make the firmware available on their flashtool beta software. That would allow people with unlocked bootloaders to get AOSP through official channels.

My source also said they are considering selling Xperia Z HSPA+ with AOSP via Google, they are weighing it up right now. I think $549 is the price point they are considering. That would be the Xperia Nexus everyone is waiting for.

God, why the Z and not the ZL.

I'd buy a stock ZL (LTE) in an instant.

Danj

Here's a question for the rest of you Z owners, if I buy a Sony AVC HD camcorder and put a microSDHC card in it with an adapter to regular SD size, after recording can I then take the card out, put it in my phone and expect to be able to upload to Youtube? Or does the Youtube app not support AVC HD format files?

Here's a question for the rest of you Z owners, if I buy a Sony AVC HD camcorder and put a microSDHC card in it with an adapter to regular SD size, after recording can I then take the card out, put it in my phone and expect to be able to upload to Youtube? Or does the Youtube app not support AVC HD format files?
What container format does it save in?

Is it worth insuring for £7 a month?

It's not easy for you to break it but it really slips when you have it on some surfaces, it's also made of glass which can easily break if you drop it from heights. This phone is pretty big and it might actually slip from you.

Considering this is your first smartphone I'd say yeah for the time being.

According to Wikipedia, MPEG Transport Stream (.MTS). I've googled it and it seems the Youtube website supports directly uploading AVCHD files, I just want to know whether it's possible with the Android app

nope, not from the app. but you could use a browser window on the phone.

4.2.2 is on schedule for mid-June if everything goes according to plan.

No word on what features it brings yet, but I was told it is quite a big update and it improves the camera and video quality even more than the 253 update which just rolled out.

Omlagus

4.2.2 is on schedule for mid-June if everything goes according to plan.

No word on what features it brings yet, but I was told it is quite a big update and it improves the camera and video quality even more than the 253 update which just rolled out.

That's great to hear! Are the improvements from the 253 update supposed to be hitting the ZL too? Although my build number seems different than those mentioned earlier. I've got 10.1.A.1.395 and apparently that's the latest available.

Hope the ZL doesn't miss out on those camera improvements and the sweet black nav bar.

That's great to hear! Are the improvements from the 253 update supposed to be hitting the ZL too? Although my build number seems different than those mentioned earlier. I've got 10.1.A.1.395 and apparently that's the latest available.

Hope the ZL doesn't miss out on those camera improvements and the sweet black nav bar.

The 253 update is already out for the ZL! :D

XDA seems to be telling me they have got rid of the grey status and nav bars with 253.

They do appear to not be completely stupid then.

PAC code ordered from Vodafone i'll either be getting a Z or HTC one on o2.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=41434566&postcount=91

Get the Z! It's awesomer since the 253 update, fixes the camera also.

Though both phones are good tbh. I prefer the flexibility of SD cards and being able to crop pictures.

Another consideration would be to get the One on O2, sell it and then order the ZL from Germany like I did. The ZL is by far the best phone on the market right now, especially after the 253 update.

SRG01

My question is whether I should buy the phone now and wait for AOSP or wait until AOSP hits before I buy... So tempting, especially with the new update.

Got the update, downloading atm :D

Is an unbranded C6602 directly updated from Sony regardless of country? That would be really cool. I can now look forward to 4.2 release knowing that I'd get it at the same week as everyone else. Unlike Samsung which has a region for each update.

Okay, that worked. Now, stupid question, what did the update actually do? ^^;;

Made the status bar and software buttons black, improved battery life, improved image quality from the camera, improved performance (default hardware acceleration for the main UI).

Some other small stuff too, but it is a big update and makes the Z much more usable.

Danj

Made the status bar and software buttons black, improved battery life, improved image quality from the camera, improved performance (default hardware acceleration for the main UI).

Some other small stuff too, but it is a big update and makes the Z much more usable.

Uhh... it was already pretty usable for me? :) But anyway, cool to hear that I'll be getting EVEN MORE performance out of it.

Danj

By the way, anyone know what's up with the Xperia Privilege app? It came up with a notification saying it needed an update, so I updated it, but now when I load it up the fourth "offer" just says "New arrival - In order to access promotions an update is required for Xperia Privilege", but I already updated it.

How do you find that the screen had changed? Beeter contrast and viewing angles?

So much better contrast, really great blacks, ugly grey bar is gone. I'm gonna take a comparison pic in a moment.

They've changed the screen parameters that resulted into deeper blacks. But at the cost of overall image quality. Prior to the update, I could see a difference between what was supposed to be black and dark grey. Now both are black, which results into a loss of detail.

As for the viewing angles, they're still bad. I realised how bad the viewing angles were when I compared the Z to other phones.

JonnyBrad

So much better contrast, really great blacks, ugly grey bar is gone. I'm gonna take a comparison pic in a moment.

Would be interested to see this. The Z's I have seen in shops (obv on the old fw) have looked terrible. Especially as my local carphone warehouse has one next to an HTC One. Which has the best screen I have ever seen.

Linius

Finally updated my phone as well, love the new black bar up top :D

I love it how the top bar sinks in the background now.

DQfFfXX.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uXVWpOafvQ

Xperia Z viewing angles with 10.1.1.A.1.253 firmware. Amazing. Why the fuck couldn't they launch with this software!

how can software enhance contrast or viewing angle :??

Amazing my ass. I'm quite disappointed that Sony gave in and recalibrated the screen. Viewing angles is a hardware property, it can't be changed through software. The illusion of better viewing angles is created by the fact that Sony practically darkened every tone.
The screen is worse than it was before. Sure, blacks are blacker now, but almost every dark tint is displayed as black now:

Dark blue -> black
Dark grey -> black
Dark anything -> black

This all results into loss of image quality. It's painfully obvious when I watch videos. I was watching a video where a woman wore a black shirt. I couldn't see the roundings on her body, the ripples in her close or anything else. Everything was black as if it were a silhouette.

JonnyBrad

how can software enhance contrast or viewing angle :??

They have darkened the greys, as an offshoot the viewing angles look better because it now has better blacks that fade to dark grey, rather than greys that fade to white.

Its not an ideal solution but they messed up severely with the original release and now there xperia Z is known as the flagship with the crap screen.

They have darkened the greys, as an offshoot the viewing angles look better because it now has better blacks that fade to dark grey, rather than greys that fade to white.

Its not an ideal solution but they messed up severely with the original release and now there xperia Z is known as the flagship with the crap screen.

When I compare the screen (bar resolution) to the One X, One, GSIV and Oppo Find 5, it has a borderline crap screen.

Top Bottom