• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

JonnyBrad

You have a carrier branded Z. The updates to carrier branded phones usually take a tid bit longer.

Not in this case. The carrier branded UK fw's have gone out in UK and Germany but not for the unbranded ones. No idea why, only Sony knows but it makes all the man babies on XDA cry which is always good for a laugh.

Not in this case. The carrier branded UK fw's have gone out in UK and Germany but not for the unbranded ones. No idea why, only Sony knows but it makes all the man babies on XDA cry which is always good for a laugh.

Yeah it's pretty fucking hilarious. They have to wait like 4 days longer and they chuck their toys out of the pram. I swear it's only in the Sony/Xperia forums as well that the users are so sensitive. In the Samsung ones people just wait and in HTC they are just grateful to be getting an update I think. Sony "fans" really are just a bunch of whiny babies I think.

Hrothgar

Amazing my ass. I'm quite disappointed that Sony gave in and recalibrated the screen. Viewing angles is a hardware property, it can't be changed through software. The illusion of better viewing angles is created by the fact that Sony practically darkened every tone.
The screen is worse than it was before. Sure, blacks are blacker now, but almost every dark tint is displayed as black now:

Dark blue -> black
Dark grey -> black
Dark anything -> black

This all results into loss of image quality. It's painfully obvious when I watch videos. I was watching a video where a woman wore a black shirt. I couldn't see the roundings on her body, the ripples in her close or anything else. Everything was black as if it were a silhouette.

So it wasn't just me. I noticed a change in contrast after the update, I didn't like it.

What's everyone's obsession with viewing angles anyway? I am not looking at my screen from a large angle.

JonnyBrad

So it wasn't just me. I noticed a change in contrast after the update, I didn't like it.

What's everyone's obsession with viewing angles anyway? I am not looking at my screen from a large angle.

I often have my phone sat on my desk while I work which I just glance at to see notifications as they come in. Often its quite off angle which makes it hard to read on a Z. That's just a personal thing for me though and I can see why some people wouldn't care.

The thing with Xperia Z viewing angles is that when compared to other high-end smartphones, they really fall short. It's all about expectations. I bet the Z has tons of feature I won't use, but I expect the phone to have those features because I pay top dollar for it. Same goes for viewing angles. I would love to say "viewing angles aren't important", but they actually are for the value of the phone.

Even though I myself am not bothered by the viewing angles, a friend of mine did comment on them when we were watching a video and I somehow felt embarassed, especially after praising the phone. I said I had a privacy screen protector.

By the way, you make it sound as if the viewing angle problem is related to very large angles. Color distortion on the Z due to bad viewings angles already occurs when the phone is slightly tilted. The screen is still easil readible, but it distorts too much, too soon.

Radec

Now Japan gets Xperia UL

ulform01mat800.jpg

Akira

The Xperia A and UL are exclusive to Japan (as of now). They're two phones exclusive to the lineups of two Japanese carriers, Docomo and au. I know, why not just offer the Xperia Z to those carriers? I have no effin' clue.

Does Sony have some sort of smartphone R&D $$$ that they're forced to use or something? Cuz Sony could stand to... not use them and increase their profits maybe.

Good video of the 253 update.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgyI4a9o7ps

Screen much more vivid and the viewing angles still suck basically. I will pass i think. Hopefully Sony can fix their viewing angles aversion in the next phone.

And that's why I hate what this update did to the screen. They fucked up the colours and the viewing angles are still bad. The performance is a little bit better and I like that.
Man I even liked the grey nav bars. Guys do you see what your whining asses made Sony do? Thanks for that :/

Just had a hands on with a 5" 1080p IGZO screen. :O :O :O :O :O

Amazing. Absolutely fucking amazing. I really, really hope Sony choose this for the H2 phone. It is beyond absolutely everything currently available on the market. The guy who had it said that Sharp have a firm order from Apple so far and Sony are contemplating using it, but the cost is much higher than regular mobile displays either from Sharp, LG Display or JDI.

Zaptruder

Banned

Amazing. Absolutely fucking amazing. I really, really hope Sony choose this for the H2 phone. It is beyond absolutely everything currently available on the market. The guy who had it said that Sharp have a firm order from Apple so far and Sony are contemplating using it, but the cost is much higher than regular mobile displays either from Sharp, LG Display or JDI.

If they want to have a smash it out of the ball park flagship to compete against the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy Note, then they damn well better.

I just want the best of the best. I'll pay a good amount for it too. Don't disappoint Sony.

Mario007

LOL, the hell is wrong with Sony? Now they have four flagship calibre phones (Z, ZL, ZR, UL). Who would buy this but not a Z or ZL? I don't understand the point.
The one cool thing about UL is that the on screen buttons are transparent and don't take up the screen space really. That should be implemented in future Xperias, I think.

I'm confused by the naming really. With Z, ZL and ZR you could see that Z was the base model and ZR and ZL were the variants. It kinda made sense and it didn't really seem like Sony had 3 competing flagships, just 3 different options for the customers. With UL the naming is thrown out of the window. UL would seem to be the successor to U, given by the name and U's popularity, but it's not. The L seems to mean that it's closer to ZL when it comes to being compact but the U is completely out of place in there and it does make it seem like a brand new flagship.

Do you know if Sony is even contemplating JDI for the i1 anymore? Last thing I've read was that it was either IGZO or a Sony screen?

If they want to have a smash it out of the ball park flagship to compete against the iPhone and Samsung Galaxy Note, then they damn well better.

I just want the best of the best. I'll pay a good amount for it too. Don't disappoint Sony.

Yes I hope they do choose it. There is nothing else like it on the market. The guy who was showing it off said that it uses 50% less power than typical IPS screens as well.

Do you know if Sony is even contemplating JDI for the i1 anymore? Last thing I've read was that it was either IGZO or a Sony screen?

JDI are out. The quality of the screens are too variable or have too many defects. HTC have just found this out also. D:

They really need to shape up at JDI because they will fall behind and squander the money given to them by the government.

Mokubba

I'm still on t he old firmware here in the UK.

Are the complaints about the screen that bad after the update? It sounds good to me

tha_devil

The one cool thing about UL is that the on screen buttons are transparent and don't take up the screen space really. That should be implemented in future Xperias, I think.

I

do you have a vid/screenshot of the transparent on screen buttons? I assume they will still be below the dock on the homescreen, but most other apps etc. will basically be full screen?

Not just XDA moaning then.

I might just buy a Nexus 4 and sit tight for now.

No, there is actually a problem. HTC are replacing phones with dead pixels which is good, but JDI will be taking the final hit on the replacement devices HTC will need to make.

Nexus 4 is a solid phone, not expensive, sufficiently powerful, pure Android and very good ROM support from developers.

If you really want a flagship above all else then I would really take a good look at the One/GS4. IMO these are better phones than Xperia Z (though not ZL) or if you are willing to wait Sony's H2 phone will probably be better than everything else on the market and it will be available via all carriers in the UK.

vivftp

Zomg, what are your latest estimates on when Honami should be revealed?

Over on esato they seem certain that the sensor will be 2/3" and 12-13 MP.

JonnyBrad

No, there is actually a problem. HTC are replacing phones with dead pixels which is good, but JDI will be taking the final hit on the replacement devices HTC will need to make.

Nexus 4 is a solid phone, not expensive, sufficiently powerful, pure Android and very good ROM support from developers.

If you really want a flagship above all else then I would really take a good look at the One/GS4. IMO these are better phones than Xperia Z (though not ZL) or if you are willing to wait Sony's H2 phone will probably be better than everything else on the market and it will be available via all carriers in the UK.

I have a 4s ATM which is fine. I'll probably move to Giffgaff and just keep it for now then see what we get later in the year.

spwolf

The Xperia A and UL are exclusive to Japan (as of now). They're two phones exclusive to the lineups of two Japanese carriers, Docomo and au. I know, why not just offer the Xperia Z to those carriers? I have no effin' clue.

Does Sony have some sort of smartphone R&D $$$ that they're forced to use or something? Cuz Sony could stand to... not use them and increase their profits maybe.

because japanese carriers want exclusive deals.... thats how the market works.

in the end, you end up selling a lot more phones....

p.s. Gorgeous E-ink device from Sony for H2 2013:
http://www.viddler.com/v/ecf63382?secret=72793890

actual ebook reader (and much more) is shown at the end. Looks amazing. Gotta say that Sony's products this year are definetly showing huge improvements in every area of their business.

Danj

Does the Z come with any kind of voice recorder app? If not, is there an app on the Play store that people would recommend? I may need to record a meeting in the near future but I can't afford to shell out for a dedicated voice recorder right now.

Radec

Does the Z come with any kind of voice recorder app? If not, is there an app on the Play store that people would recommend? I may need to record a meeting in the near future but I can't afford to shell out for a dedicated voice recorder right now.

Yes, a native widget you can access anywhere.

my iphone4 home button and sleep button dont work anymore and the phone is getting very slow.
So fuck it, I will jump ship.

Where would be cheapest place in Europe be to get a Xperia Z, delivered unlocked to Finland? its 650€ here retail, which is BANANAS

sammich

Got my replacement ZL. I can finally make calls again. This phone seems a bit snappier for some reason. Maybe just me. One thing i did notice though is the colours are off from the 2 phones. Noticeable when i had them side by side. Blues on my old phone were a bit darker than the one on my new(old) phone.

No firmware update for my canadian ZL(Rogers) yet.

Yes I hope they do choose it. There is nothing else like it on the market. The guy who was showing it off said that it uses 50% less power than typical IPS screens as well.

JDI are out. The quality of the screens are too variable or have too many defects. HTC have just found this out also. D:

They really need to shape up at JDI because they will fall behind and squander the money given to them by the government.

but what about http://www.androidauthority.com/jdi...s-display-integrated-touch-technology-213552/

Is there any way to get keyboard arrows on the default keyboard? I remember them being very useful on my old HTC Desire HD. I had a quick search for keyboard arrows on the store but it's just 3rd party keyboards with arrows pre-built in.

Just been looking at some of the Tablet Z videos and I was wondering if there were any details regarding future tablets like we hear for the phones. I know the tablets follow phones so what might the tablet following Honami be like. I would have bumped the tablet Z thread but I had the last post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4wPbOI05Ao8#!

I don't need a tablet but if this ends up in my house somehow I won't be surprised.

I was just about to post about this tablet lol since I can't get the phone I figured I'd get this instead, I know it's supposed to start shipping next week, anyone else picking this up??

raven777

I was just about to post about this tablet lol since I can't get the phone I figured I'd get this instead, I know it's supposed to start shipping next week, anyone else picking this up??

I will be buying this when it comes out. I am not in US so will have to wait until june.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
WTF is up with Sony making the in-call volume so low on their phones? I can't hear anything on my LTE ZL. Anyone else have this issue?

Detox

Make sure the speaker is over your ear? I always have trouble lining up large phones to my head, you can also try pushing it close to your ear.

Kadux

Neo Member
So, I have the following problem:

Unlocked the bootloader and rooted it afterwards. Now I try to update the FW to the new one (with the camera fix, etc...) but says it's impossible due to having non-official software. I try to repair the phone on the sony bridge for mac and get the same error.

Am I forever stuck with the same FW without being able to update/get back to factory settings?

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom