• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So, I have the following problem:

Unlocked the bootloader and rooted it afterwards. Now I try to update the FW to the new one (with the camera fix, etc...) but says it's impossible due to having non-official software. I try to repair the phone on the sony bridge for mac and get the same error.

Am I forever stuck with the same FW without being able to update/get back to factory settings?

Thanks for the help.

Once you unlock the bootloader, you won't be able to get updates through official means. However, you can still flash FTF's by using flashtool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2162907

WTF is up with Sony making the in-call volume so low on their phones? I can't hear anything on my LTE ZL. Anyone else have this issue?

Try going to settings, call settings and then turning on Speaker voice enhancement. Apparently it "Provides a richer voice listening experience during calls" so yeah, might help :)

Cerity

Running carbon rom now, very nearly a daily AOSP IMO. Just a few small niggly bits that need ironing out.

Just a shame getting purexaudio to work isn't straightforward.

Pegasos123

a friend bought the xperia Z new on bay for 380€ ... a good price
i like the design of the xperia Z but it doesnt feel right when i hold it my hand.
the corners unfortunately make it very unconfortable :-(

other then that ... this is a great piece of hardware

Chinner

Banned
id say ZL, looks better and is nicer to hold. unless you prefer the design or really need the waterproof features of the Z.

dave_m123

Well guys, just ordered the Xperia Z, £26 a month 500 minus unlimited text and data and free handset.

Any recommendations on a nice case?

DBT85

Hey guys, sorry to drop this in here, I did a search and can't find a specific thread for the Xperia Z tablet. Is there one or is it just lumped in with other tablet threads?

Picking the 16GB Black one up today!

MarkusRJR

Hey guys, sorry to drop this in here, I did a search and can't find a specific thread for the Xperia Z tablet. Is there one or is it just lumped in with other tablet threads?

How is it? I'm really thinking of upgrading my old Blackberry Playbook to it once it comes out in Canada (it got delayed). Is it worth the price? My main concern is battery life. I'm either getting it or a laptop, and the Xperia Z tablet looks more than capable to meet my needs though (and cheaper) so I'd rather go with it. Battery life is the deciding factor.

Oh, and what's the best matte screen protector for both the Xperia Z tablet and the Xperia ZL? I hate having finger prints on screens.

It's out today? I thought it was pushed back until tomorrow?? I'm picking one up this weekend, I'm so excited, I just hope we get some nice cases for it, the only one I've found so far is the $80 from Sony.

DBT85

How is it? I'm really thinking of upgrading my old Blackberry Playbook to it. Is it worth the price? My main concern is battery life. I'm either getting it or a laptop, and the Xperia Z tablet looks more than capable to meet my needs though (and cheaper) so I'd rather go with it. Battery life is the deciding factor.

Oh, and what's the best matte screen protector for both the Xperia Z tablet and the Xperia ZL? I hate having finger prints on screens.

It's out today? I thought it was pushed back until tomorrow?? I'm picking one up this weekend, I'm so excited, I just hope we get some nice cases for it, the only one I've found so far is the $80 from Sony.

Yep it's out now. I've only had it 3 hours and only used it for 10 mins as I've been out and about. However, it's a great looking tablet, the screen looks great. I know it isn't as high res as others and that would have been nice, but I cannot stand most Samsung electronics and the Nexus 10, the only real other option for me, just doesn't wow me. Battery life seemed good from reviews but of course time will tell for end users. The back of the Xperia Z is like a rubberised material, a bit like some Logitech mice.

It's really incredible how thin and light it is, I'll be popping a fat microSD card in at some point. This is only the 16GB version but I'm not going to be using it too much for media storage so I didn't need the 32GB one.

No idea for any accessories at all yet.

I picked it up from John Lewis at about 11:30 today. They only had 2 in store but there were "more than 10" on the online purchase thing.

bhXC1DW.jpg

More thoughts as I get them but do be warned that I don't play any games on my mobile and probably won't play on this so my thoughts will be mostly useless on that score.

I'm in the UK by the way, maybe it was delayed a few days elsewhere?

First thing I did once connected up was download swiftkey lol.

MarkusRJR

I really love the look of the new Sony devices. So damn sleek. Their packaging has gotten a lot better too. Post more impressions after you use it some more. :)

I'm kind of curious how game performance is on it. I'm definitely getting the 32gb model if the more intensive games run well on it.

Hmmm I'm having a hard time finding any stores that have the tablet, (it doesn't release until tomorrow) I hope I can walk into a target or something this weekend and just buy it...I hate waiting on electronics :(

DBT85

Hmmm I'm having a hard time finding any stores that have the tablet, (it doesn't release until tomorrow) I hope I can walk into a target or something this weekend and just buy it...I hate waiting on electronics :(

I know the feeling!

Just ordered a Sony 32GB MicroSD card (SR32UY), upto 40MB/s read speed and only £19.49.

Mokubba

Tablet Z thread is here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509216

Please bump it and I will also like to hear about the battery since it's slim and post some of the reviews you've read too.

How is it? I'm really thinking of upgrading my old Blackberry Playbook to it once it comes out in Canada (it got delayed). Is it worth the price? My main concern is battery life. I'm either getting it or a laptop, and the Xperia Z tablet looks more than capable to meet my needs though (and cheaper) so I'd rather go with it. Battery life is the deciding factor.

This is meant to be a good protector. I ordered a couple but screwed them up and ordered a couple more so hopefully I get it on right with no trapped dust this time.

It comes with a back protector too which is good

http://www.obostore.com/benks-hsr-fingerprintproof-screen-protector-for-sony-xperia-z-p-13435.html

Akira

Dat Superior Japanese screen!

http://youtu.be/uD-NBDdPY-k?t=4m55s

Watch for about 5-6 seconds as the screen goes completely black. :O

Why couldn't we get that screen in the Z/ZL...

Um, my question is why are there still remnants of that idiotic gray UI? Although it's kinda cool that it transitions into the black UI. Also, I would SO get the Xperia UL over both the Z and ZL. It's almost that perfect marriage between the two.

BluWacky

So I'm finally due an upgrade on my Xperia Arc next week after 2 years, for one of which the touch screen has freaked out on me on a regular basis after I got it wet (short story, I was an idiot...)

How much bigger is the Z in comparison? I bought the Arc not just because it was good for videos (although now I have a tablet for that) but because it was so thin and light, and although I've had Sony (Ericsson) phones for over ten years now I'm still not sure about upgrading to the Z - although the Arc has been fine for my first smartphone, the screen scratched surprisingly easily and I've had a few other issues with it crashing etc.

Detox

I went from an Arc to Z and it is slightly larger and does take some getting used to especially if you have small hands. The screen doesn't scratch as easily and the scratches seem to be smaller and almost imperceptible unless you look closely with the light reflecting perfectly off it. Otherwise it's a great upgrade from the Arc and I would recommend it.

How do you go about creating Music and Podcast folders on the SD card, and what is the best way to listen to it? Is the Walkman app good enough, or is there a better way?

How do you go about creating Music and Podcast folders on the SD card, and what is the best way to listen to it? Is the Walkman app good enough, or is there a better way?

Get https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Make a folder in there for podcast, walkman is good for listening to music/podcast but if you want to download new ones OTA get https://play.google.com/store/apps/...gler.android.applications.doggcatcher.premium

Fezan

img.php

Camera and video
5 megapixel camera with LED flash and Auto focus
4x digital zoom
Sony Exmor RS for mobile image sensor
Face detection
Front-facing camera for video calls
Geotagging
HD video recording (720p), up to 30 frames per second
Quick Launch
Red-eye reduction
Sweep Panorama
Touch focus

Connectivity and communication
3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA)
aGPS
ANT+ supports fitness
Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
DLNA Certified
Media Go
Native USB tethering
NFC
PC Companion
Screen mirroring
Synchronisation via Exchange ActiveSync, Google Sync and Facebook
USB High speed 2.0 and Micro USB support
Xperia Link
Wi-Fi and WiFi Hotspot functionality

Entertainment
PlayStation Certified
Sony Entertainment Network (selected markets only)
Motions gaming
Video streaming
3D games
FM Radio with RDS
Audio playback, supported formats: MP3, 3GPP, MP4, SMF, WAV, OTA, Ogg vorbis
Audio recording, supported formats: 3GPP, MP4, AMR

Pre-loaded applications
Google Play*
Google Chrome*
Google Voice Search*
Google Maps for Mobile with Street view and Latitude*

Memory
RAM: 1GB
Flash memory: Up to 4 GB
Expansion slot: microSD card, up to 32 GB

Networks
UMTS HSPA+ 900 (Band VIII), 2100 (Band I) MHz (not available in all markets)
UMTS HSPA+ 850 (Band V), 1900 (Band II), 1700 (Band IV), 2100 (Band I) MHz (not available in all markets)
GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz

Display and design
4", 16 million colours, 854 x 480 pixels
Scratch-resistant
Capacitive touchscreen with on-screen QWERTY keyboard
16 million colours, 1280 x 720 pixels

img.php

I posted this in the main Android thread, but it's more relevant here:

Just got a message saying that Xperia Z/ZL/Tablet Z 4.2.2 is in it's final, final beta testing phase. They are rolling out the firmware for brown devices this week, if it goes well then it will be rolling out to consumer devices in 2-3 weeks. Well I've heard this before, but let's hope it's real this time. If Sony can actually ship 4.2.2 before the end of June it will be a miracle. My ZL is waiting, somewhat impatiently now. Missing Dashclock from CM10.1 on my Sensation.

JonnyBrad

Just got a message saying that Xperia Z/ZL/Tablet Z 4.2.2 is in it's final, final beta testing phase. They are rolling out the firmware for brown devices this week, if it goes well then it will be rolling out to consumer devices in 2-3 weeks. Well I've heard this before, but let's hope it's real this time. If Sony can actually ship 4.2.2 before the end of June it will be a miracle. My ZL is waiting, somewhat impatiently now. Missing Dashclock from CM10.1 on my Sensation.

One hopes they add lockscreen widgets. HTC didn't bother with the One on 4.2.2

Mokubba

I hope this is true but I still haven't received the last update.

spwolf

Xperia M might get really nice sales in Europe if it is priced well... 4", Dual Core, 1 GB RAM is very nice... Lets see the prices.

Anything under 1 GB is useless for Android.

Oshimai

Hey GAF, my contract is going to expire around August and I was thinking of getting a new phone. I currently have an iPhone 4 and want to make the switch to Android.

Should I get the Xperia Z in August or wait a while longer for the Togari phablet?

vivftp

Hey GAF, my contract is going to expire around August and I was thinking of getting a new phone. I currently have an iPhone 4 and want to make the switch to Android.

Should I get the Xperia Z in August or wait a while longer for the Togari phablet?

If you're already waiting until August, I might suggest keeping an eye on Honami in addition to Togari. Honami should be announced around that time and should be a pretty nice upgrade over the Xperia Z.

Oshimai

If you're already waiting until August, I might suggest keeping an eye on Honami in addition to Togari. Honami should be announced around that time and should be a pretty nice upgrade over the Xperia Z.

Oh I didn't even know about the Honami. I looked up some pics and that phone is looking pretty sharp as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

vivftp

Oh I didn't even know about the Honami. I looked up some pics and that phone is looking pretty sharp as well.

Thanks for the heads up.

No problem. Just FYI tho, there are no actual pics of Honami yet. Anything you see online are fan concepts.

The stuff we've been hearing about Honami as of late are pretty damned amazing. Here's what I can list off the top of my head - some of this stuff comes from the esato forums

-5" 1080p display - either Sharp IGZO or some Sony produced screen - anywhere from 1000:1 to 3000:1 contrast ratios have been kicked about, who knows what it'll be
-Triluminos tech in the display - should produce colour levels comparable to OLED
-S800 processor with 2 gigs of RAM - this will put Sonys flagship on par with any other flagship
-New camera with a very large sensor size in the area of 1/1.5". Megapixels could be anything I suppose. I've seen some people guessing at figures anywhere from 8MP to 27MP.
-Xenon flash + LED
-Metal and glass construction
-Waterproof, dustproof and shockproof
-3000mah battery that supposedly will last days. I'm guessing this somehow relates to stamina mode, but I guess we can be hopeful that normal performance will produce these results
-Changable lenses. Who knows how this will be implemented and this one is kinda out there, but the esato source seemed sure about it
-IR blaster like on the Xperia ZL
-Mobile X-Reality engine - this seems to be implemented in the new VAIOs, so should be in the new phones too.
-There's been talk about a new BIONZ processing chip for phones, but no idea if it'll be ready for Honami
-S-Master MX for mobiles for better audio
-Magnetic fluid speaker tech supposedly will be in there too

That's off the top of my head. Take all that with a VERY large grain of salt of course since it's all info I've gathered from forums and whatnot. I hope it's all true as it'll likely be phone of the year given all that's packed into it. Anyways, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be by soon to probably rip apart my list and my dreams and bring me back down to reality, lol :)

Top Bottom