• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Kambing

Sony would love to be on Sprint and Verizon but those carriers have an ironclad control on the phones available for their networks. Sprint sold their soul to Apple for a chance to carry the iPhone and now have a lot of those devices they have sell, leaving little room in their portfolio for OEMs like Sony and Nokia that don't have a big brand in USA. Blame Sprint and complain to customer service if you care that much about a broad choice of phones (or consider switching to a GSM based carrier)

Ah, i did not know that. Thanks for clarifying. Although what you said does make it seem like there wont be a sony phone on sprint anytime soon. Ah well

Blackhead

Redarse
no Xperia series thread?
then I just post here OK?
Stop teasing with the Docomo Sony phones! There's no Xperia series thread because many of these will never see light of day outside Asia (the Xperia fans/thread starters on here seem to mostly Europeans). Plus the yen is so strong that it's cost prohibitive to import from Japan :'|

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
How do I update my old Xperia Arc to 4.1? I connected it to the update program on PC and it says it's up to date but it's on 2.3.4 and the model is LT15i, the phone was previously on Talkmobile contract and is now on Vodafone pay as you go.
same problem with xperia P pc companion says my phone has the latest software but my phone is on ICS.WTF?

Detox

same problem with xperia P pc companion says my phone has the latest software but my phone is on ICS.WTF?
It makes no sense going on Sony's site it says the latest update is 4.1 yet their own software can't find it. I think (though I may be wrong) you have to root your phone and then flash the firmware on, the best way would be to check on how to guides on xda forums.

Fezan

It makes no sense going on Sony's site it says the latest update is 4.1 yet their own software can't find it. I think (though I may be wrong) you have to root your phone and then flash the firmware on, the best way would be to check on how to guides on xda forums.
jb is not released worldwide wait week or two it will ask for update. Sony updayes region by region

Detox

I think it is released in the UK, the GB version of Sony's site mentions 4.1 as the latest update. This was supposedly released in 2012...

GQman2121

Banned
Every time I see this thread on the first page, I think I'm going to come in here and see that the T-Mobile deal has been made official - release date and all.

The wait continues. Ugh.

Chinner

Banned
It's just an apk, download it and open the file on your phone.

nioce thanks.

also, i want to dedicate a page to gaming. anyone know any decent layout or apps/widgets for that? want it to look a bit more pleasant rather than just a bunch of apps and folders.

Xperia ZL officially announced

Also Sony ships below-forecast 8.1m Xperia’s in Q1 2013; blames success of Xperia Z for shortfall

Found this part intresting "The handset also boasts a Snapdragon S4 Pro quad-core 1.5GHZ CPU, 2GB RAM, LTE, NFC, Sony's Walkman album and movie apps and an OptiContrast OLED screen with Bravia tech to reduce glare "even in bright sunlight."

So first sony mobile with oled ?

http://developer.sonymobile.com/products/phones/specification/xperiazr/

"4.55 inches TFT
16 millions colours, 1280x720 pixels"

Definitely no OLED. Engadget probably read the press release wrong, the bluetooth hedset has an OLED display on it.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en...logs&utm_campaign=stereobluetoothheadsetsbh50

Otherwise it is a completely pointless phone. Still uses last year's hardware, same size as ZL but it only has a 4.6" 720p screen, why even bother releasing it. All it will serve to do is devalue the Z/ZL or be ridiculously overpriced.

a ZR Announced[/url]

(International version of the Xperia A)

Specs:
4.6" 720p TFT screen
Snapdragon S4 pro quad core
2gb ram
Lte
Nfc
IP58
Dedicated camera button

sony-xperia-zr.jpg

xperia-zr-1.jpg

KpPP11d.jpeg

Fezan

"4.55 inches TFT

Definitely no OLED. Engadget probably read the press release wrong, the bluetooth hedset has an OLED display on it.

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en...logs&utm_campaign=stereobluetoothheadsetsbh50

Otherwise it is a completely pointless phone. Still uses last year's hardware, same size as ZL but it only has a 4.6" 720p screen, why even bother releasing it. All it will serve to do is devalue the Z/ZL or be ridiculously overpriced.

May be sony are trying to maximise their profits. using the same internals will also help them keep phone updates at good pace as they have to make rom for same hardware.
Nut yes it is damaging brand name. I said it earlier that there should only be 1 xperia with all the bells and whistles. Or if they want to cover all markets then make 3. 1 high end 1 mid spec and 1 low spec

Xperia ZR Announced

Specs:
4.6" 720p OLED screen
2gb ram
Lte
Nfc
Same waterproof specs as the Z
Dedicated camera button

sony-xperia-zr.jpg

Its not oled its tft and its rated ip58 XZ was ip57

a ZR Announced[/url]

Specs:
4.6" 720p TFT screen
2gb ram
Lte
Nfc
IP58
Dedicated camera button

It doesn't have LTE. So far they haven't announced a C5503 version, I'm sure they will in due time, but for now it is HSPA+ with the C5502 version they announced.

You still have the flagship. This is a worse phone. It doesn't fill any gap in the line up, all it will do is make SP seem expensive or devalue Z/ZL.

vivftp

Don't care too much for these lesser phones as I have my eye on Honami. I am hoping that some of the features on phones like this will make it to Honami though like the shutter you can use underwater and the ip58 rating.

tzare

"4.55 inches TFT

I disagree, it is not a pointless phone. It is what i wish my Xperia T was, and will be the phone to replace it later this year: i do not need a 5 inch phone, too big, it has 2GB of ram, a good processor, waterproof AND dedicated camera button. Just what my T lacks,waterproof and more RAM(processor is fine imo) and not being flagship (snapdragon 600/800 huge display) will be affordable for mid-range phones. I agree that makes SP 'worthless' though, as both are really in the same spot

I disagree, it is not a pointless phone. It is what i wish my Xperia T was, and will be the phone to replace it later this year: i do not need a 5 inch phone, too big, it has 2GB of ram, a good processor, waterproof AND dedicated camera button. Just what my T lacks, and not being flagship (snapdragon 600/800 huge display) will be affordable for mid-range phones. I agree that makes SP 'worthless' though, as both are really in the same spot

It's actually the same physical size as the ZL. If you find the ZL too big then this will also be too big.

tzare

It's actually the same physical size as the ZL. If you find the ZL too big then this will also be too big.

i haven't seen ZL myself, but from specs found at Gsmarena i see it closer to my T than Z so it will be fine.

Z 139 x 71 x 7.9 mm (5.47 x 2.80 x 0.31 in)

ZL 131.6 x 69.3 x 9.8 mm (5.18 x 2.73 x 0.39 in)

T 129.4 x 67.3 x 9.4 mm (5.09 x 2.65 x 0.37 in)

pd. is this an OLED phone? ooops, not sure if want now, people talk about burn in on samsung phones plus outdoors brightness may be an issue :/

Chinner

Banned
maybe sony will get things in order, next year? happy to use the ZL until sony leads with a proper flagship. tis a great phone.

i haven't seen ZL myself, but from specs found at Gsmarena i see it closer to my T than Z so it will be fine.

Z 139 x 71 x 7.9 mm (5.47 x 2.80 x 0.31 in)

ZL 131.6 x 69.3 x 9.8 mm (5.18 x 2.73 x 0.39 in)

T 129.4 x 67.3 x 9.4 mm (5.09 x 2.65 x 0.37 in)

pd. is this an OLED phone? ooops, not sure if want now, people talk about burn in on samsung phones plus outdoors brightness may be an issue :/

It's not OLED Engadget misread the PR.

The ZL is awesome btw, not water resistant like Z/ZR but it has a 5" screen in the same space as this has a 4.6" screen. Also, it has a slightly larger battery (2300mAh typical vs 2400mAh typical). It also has a camera button.

Fezan

The ZL is awesome btw, not water resistant like Z/ZR but it has a 5" screen in the same space as this has a 4.6" screen. Also, it has a slightly larger battery (2300mAh typical vs 2400mAh typical). It also has a camera button.

i sold my note 2 and wanted to go for Z/Zl. But some issues have held me back for them now waiting for honami. in the mean time i may buy ZR if its cheaper.

Axiom

I'm confused. I was thinking of picking up the Z when my contract was up (I was leaning towards it over the One and the Galaxy) but the lack of support and updates has frustrated me with the Play.

Is this just a new mid-range phone? Or is the next 'main' one? Is that 'Honami'?

Fezan

I'm confused. I was thinking of picking up the Z when my contract was up (I was leaning towards it over the One and the Galaxy) but the lack of support and updates has frustrated me with the Play.

Is this just a new mid-range phone? Or is the next 'main' one? Is that 'Honami'?

nope honami is nextgen sony phone. this is just mid-high end phone. Internals of Z with 720 screen and 8gbrom. You may call it xperia Z mini

tzare

Yes, ZL is awesome,big screen 'small' size but haven't seen it available in Spain. However, being waterproof is quite an interesting feature having 2 yo kids at home that enjoy playing with my smarphone ;)

Fezan

Goddamn still using those S4 Pro's, Sony?

And please for crying out loud, fix your damn image processing

its not flagship and using s4 pro for mid end is great. it will also allow sony to easily update various models if they are using same internals.
I agree with image porcessing part tough

Averon

I thought the Xperia SP was to be Sony's mid-range phone this year. What is the point of the ZR then? Really, Sony needs to ease up on releasing so many phones in the same range.

why do you need 15 phones every half a year sony? they could have just made do with only 2.

Z, SP, L. If they released just those phones in early H1 it would have been a good strategy. The way they have done it is complete shit. 8.1m shipments is a poor figure IMO and it's because of the confused and muddled strategy and positioning that lead to the target miss and the poor Q4 figures.

I think SMC are on a hiding to nothing with their current strategy, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fall behind LG, ZTE and Huawei in a big way over the next year. Right now there is only 1-2m in it which is easily surmountable, but with the current strategy 42m seems beyond them.

Radec

Well fuck you Sony for not putting a shutter button on the Z.

ZR has it and looks like it works perfectly underwater

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nDuYUlHc1r4#at=56

Z, SP, L. If they released just those phones in early H1 it would have been a good strategy. The way they have done it is complete shit. 8.1m shipments is a poor figure IMO and it's because of the confused and muddled strategy and positioning that lead to the target miss and the poor Q4 figures.

I think SMC are on a hiding to nothing with their current strategy, I wouldn't be surprised to see them fall behind LG, ZTE and Huawei in a big way over the next year. Right now there is only 1-2m in it which is easily surmountable, but with the current strategy 42m seems beyond them.

Anything beyond the ridiculous amount of phones they have atm, I'm very tech savvy and can't be bothered to know the difference between them. All I honestly really know is that the Z is the high end. But is it still?

Averon

Anything beyond the ridiculous amount of phones they have atm, I'm very tech savvy and can't be bothered to know the difference between them. All I honestly really know is that the Z is the high end. But is it still?

Yes...until 4 months from now when they release their One Sony phone. Likely to be unveiled at IFA.

Yes it is still Sony's top dog. Barely. Though Sony continue to muddy the waters with shit like the ZR.

Averon

What's even worse is that HTC got into the situation it is in for doing exactly what SMC is doing now: releasing way too many phones in quick succession. Why Sony is following that strategy after everyone saw how much of a failure it was is baffling.

What they should be doing is releasing one flagship, one mid-range, and one low end phone a year. The Z got Sony into the conversation, so to speak, of high-end phones. They should focus on timely updates for the Z and release the Honami/One Sony phone as the Xperia Z2 in Q1 2014.

Mario007

Yes it is still Sony's top dog. Barely. Though Sony continue to muddy the waters with shit like the ZR.
It's funny that they actually attribute that, or rather having Z to be such a huge success that it made T and V look bad, to the decreased shipment figure.

According to Xperiablog a lot of European countries aren't getting ZR so I'm really curious as to what was the reason behind the phone.

vivftp

Just a side question, but anyone expecting anything mobile related to be discussed at E3? I imagine Playstation Mobile might get a mention here or there, but anything else we know of that should be talked about or at least rumored?

What's even worse is that HTC got into the situation it is in for doing exactly what SMC is doing now: releasing way too many phones in quick succession. Why Sony is following that strategy after everyone saw how much of a failure it was is baffling.

What they should be doing is releasing one flagship, one mid-range, and one low end phone a year. The Z got Sony into the conversation, so to speak, of high-end phones. They should focus on timely updates for the Z and release the Honami/One Sony phone as the Xperia Z2 in Q1 2014.

HTC got in their situation for completely unrelated reasons. Sony is following Samsung's highly successful strategy in releasing different phones for different markets in quick succession. Sony actually sells phones in many regions in measurable quantity so slightly different phones for certain target markets makes more sense for them than it does for HTC.

Just a side question, but anyone expecting anything mobile related to be discussed at E3? I imagine Playstation Mobile might get a mention here or there, but anything else we know of that should be talked about or at least rumored?

It's very unlikely. The focus at E3 will be PS4. PS3 and Vita will not be getting a lot of attention and PS-Mobile even less.

agm2502

Anyone have an idea of how to stop the Tunein Radio app launching everytime I place the phone into the official Dock?? (Short of uninstalling it). It is really annoyning. There are no instructions in the 'Smartconnect' app to tell it to launch so I don't know what is causing it.

Top Bottom