• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xperia Z/ZL |OT| Experience the best of Sony in a smartphone

Radec

That's more like a Wish list.

I doubt Sony or any other phone company will release a phone where almost every spec is high end or ideal.

vivftp

Hey, I agree it seems almost unbelievable. Just saying those are the rumors being kicked around by those who do seem to be in the know.

I guess time will tell how many of those will actually turn out to be true. If even half of thse turns out to be true though, it'll still be enough to make me happy to have skipped the Z and ZL and wait for Honami.

Oshimai

No problem. Just FYI tho, there are no actual pics of Honami yet. Anything you see online are fan concepts.

The stuff we've been hearing about Honami as of late are pretty damned amazing. Here's what I can list off the top of my head - some of this stuff comes from the esato forums

-5" 1080p display - either Sharp IGZO or some Sony produced screen - anywhere from 1000:1 to 3000:1 contrast ratios have been kicked about, who knows what it'll be
-Triluminos tech in the display - should produce colour levels comparable to OLED
-S800 processor with 2 gigs of RAM - this will put Sonys flagship on par with any other flagship
-New camera with a very large sensor size in the area of 1/1.5". Megapixels could be anything I suppose. I've seen some people guessing at figures anywhere from 8MP to 27MP.
-Xenon flash + LED
-Metal and glass construction
-Waterproof, dustproof and shockproof
-3000mah battery that supposedly will last days. I'm guessing this somehow relates to stamina mode, but I guess we can be hopeful that normal performance will produce these results
-Changable lenses. Who knows how this will be implemented and this one is kinda out there, but the esato source seemed sure about it
-IR blaster like on the Xperia ZL
-Mobile X-Reality engine - this seems to be implemented in the new VAIOs, so should be in the new phones too.
-There's been talk about a new BIONZ processing chip for phones, but no idea if it'll be ready for Honami
-S-Master MX for mobiles for better audio
-Magnetic fluid speaker tech supposedly will be in there too

That's off the top of my head. Take all that with a VERY large grain of salt of course since it's all info I've gathered from forums and whatnot. I hope it's all true as it'll likely be phone of the year given all that's packed into it. Anyways, I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be by soon to probably rip apart my list and my dreams and bring me back down to reality, lol :)

Well if it looks anything like the Honami mock-ups or the Xperia Z I'm down. Lovin the sleek sharp look of the Xperia Z.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Is there a plug in for chrome to block gifs/images? This is my first Android phone and the mobile data usage is killing me.

Chinner

Banned
Is there a plug in for chrome to block gifs/images? This is my first Android phone and the mobile data usage is killing me.
if you're taking about gaf, pretty sure if you go into the setting sections on the mobile site you can set it to hide images unless you click it.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Togari [ZU] (the phablet) spotted:

gsmarena_001.jpg

kitty not included

Wanting to grab a Xperia Z but T-mobile doesn't look like they will have it in time. (USA FL here) I can grab the ZR on the Sony store but I like Z's waterproof and dustproof function.

Xperia GAF help me out with my options! Waiting for the new ones is not really an option for me as those are months away and I want to switch from my Xperia Ion.

Jigolo

If Xperia Z GE gets an upgraded to Snapdragon 600, that's the phone I'm buying for sure over the One GE. Software keys on my GNex have spoiled me and I don't think I can go back to capacitive.

No problem. Just FYI tho, there are no actual pics of Honami yet. Anything you see online are fan concepts.

The stuff we've been hearing about Honami as of late are pretty damned amazing. Here's what I can list off the top of my head - some of this stuff comes from the esato forums

-5" 1080p display - either Sharp IGZO or some Sony produced screen - anywhere from 1000:1 to 3000:1 contrast ratios have been kicked about, who knows what it'll be

There are currently two panel candidates.

Sharp ASV-VA-IGZO, ~1800:1 CR, 178 deg viewing angle
JDI AH-IPS ~2100:1 CR, 178 deg viewing angle

Of the two the Sharp screen has slightly better power characteristics, but the JDI one is thinner, the other problem is that JDI had problems with the same AH-IPS tech for HTC so Sony are wary of using it.

I have seen the first one in person and it's amazing, coupled with the low power usage, I really hope Sony go for it. Though I can understand the latter since it uses A-Si and will not have the potential for shortages since they are targeting upwards of 12m shipments over a 6 month period for this phone. It could end up as a panel lottery, but this time there won't be any real losers, both screens have an amazing spec sheet.

Mario007

There are currently two panel candidates.

Sharp ASV-VA-IGZO, ~1800:1 CR, 178 deg viewing angle
JDI AH-IPS ~2100:1 CR, 178 deg viewing angle

Of the two the Sharp screen has slightly better power characteristics, but the JDI one is thinner, the other problem is that JDI had problems with the same AH-IPS tech for HTC so Sony are wary of using it.

I have seen the first one in person and it's amazing, coupled with the low power usage, I really hope Sony go for it. Though I can understand the latter since it uses A-Si and will not have the potential for shortages since they are targeting upwards of 12m shipments over a 6 month period for this phone. It could end up as a panel lottery, but this time there won't be any real losers, both screens have an amazing spec sheet.
From what I've read over at Esato, it seems like panel lottery is the way it'll be and both will incorporate trilumious technology. Also appparent the JDI panel is supposed to coming from the Sony spun-off division or something.

From what I've read over at Esato, it seems like panel lottery is the way it'll be and both will incorporate trilumious technology. Also appparent the JDI panel is supposed to coming from the Sony spun-off division or something.

Could do. I have heard Sony are planning an investment in QD Vision to take control of their ColorIQ technology. Makes sense for Sony to use the tech in their phones. I know that IGZO is compatible with the technology since the Sony 55" 4K is the first commercial product to use IGZO and it has QLED tech.

As for JDI the merger was completed on 4/1/2013 and JDI took over all of the assets from SMD, HMD and TMD and placed them into a single subsidiary, Japan Display Corporation. So it may be true that the screen is from one of the old Sony factories, but it is a JDI panel now.

Mario007

Could do. I have heard Sony are planning an investment in QD Vision to take control of their ColorIQ technology. Makes sense for Sony to use the tech in their phones. I know that IGZO is compatible with the technology since the Sony 55" 4K is the first commercial product to use IGZO and it has QLED tech.

As for JDI the merger was completed on 4/1/2013 and JDI took over all of the assets from SMD, HMD and TMD and placed them into a single subsidiary, Japan Display Corporation. So it may be true that the screen is from one of the old Sony factories, but it is a JDI panel now.
Cool, sounds like a winner in that case. Maybe Sony is more comfortable dealing with their ex-division than they would be with other divisions in JDI.

Hopefully all these rumors prove to be true, Honami is looking more and more like the perfect phone.

GQman2121

Banned
Wanting to grab a Xperia Z but T-mobile doesn't look like they will have it in time. (USA FL here) I can grab the ZR on the Sony store but I like Z's waterproof and dustproof function.

Xperia GAF help me out with my options! Waiting for the new ones is not really an option for me as those are months away and I want to switch from my Xperia Ion.

Good news. T-Mobile managers have a training for the device on the 26th.

They released this video on Youtube today via Facebook, which has to be the Z, and will apparently have another announcement tomorrow before a joint announcement with Sony on the 18th. So the device can't possibly be more than a few weeks out from launch. The leaks have been pointing towards this for what feels like months. Not long now though.

Good news. T-Mobile managers have a training for the device on the 26th.

They released this video on Youtube today via Facebook, which has to be the Z, and will apparently have another announcement tomorrow before a joint announcement with Sony on the 18th. So the device can't possibly be more than a few weeks out from launch. The leaks have been pointing towards this for what feels like months. Not long now though.

GREAT TO HEAR! :D Thanks for the heads up. :) My Ion will last me through the next few weeks. I just need it before July 18th.

Cerity

Running doomlords 4.2.2 now, there's certaintly some missing features but it's certaintly usable as a daily.

Cool thing; when you go to poweroff, sometimes a t-mobile splash appears

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Exclusive to T-Mobile. Booooo. No sprint, no buy.

I wonder if the TMobile logo and pre installed apps will be on the machine. I remember people saying Sony wanted to be seen as premium in the US as well and would not accept those things, much like the iphone and galaxy.

the logo is on the back bottom...apps prolly are there too

Top Bottom