• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z |OT| Hobo Raiden's Bizarre Revengeance

Riposte

∀ Narayan;105383930 said:
You're using the move wrong in that case. They only come back if they have health left. Use it as a finisher for maximum ownage.

It's been awhile, but IIRC they come back on the floor and then do their "ugh!" death animation.

s_mirage

I was waiting for reviews before deciding whether to buy this but holy crap! £50 on Steam and available from nowhere else? Are Tecmo out of their minds?

Gusto

Wow man this game has so much attitude. I'm early into it but, so far I'm really digging it. This seems like one of those games forgotten by the industry.

After watching some let's play of the game, I'm not so deterred by the reviews. Yaiba is still on my list, but I will be taking the advice of some to start on easy.

Wow £50 on Steam O.O

Temco trying out the US retail pricing structure where the none sale price is a rip off to make more money on the sale price?

Seems very fitting for Steam as they still make around £10 at 80% off, £25 for 50% that's a bargain right lol.

Wow man this game has so much attitude. I'm early into it but, so far I'm really digging it. This seems like one of those games forgotten by the industry.

Yep, just go into it not expecting a NG game and you'll do fine. My expectations had already been trampled upon by the heavily pessimistic Western reviewers prior to playing the game, so I was pleased that the game surpassed them.

It's a load of fun, playing it at Easy the first time around as recommended by some of the others.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
My favourite line from the whole game, so low brow but fuck I laughed out loud :p

*zombie torso crawling along the ground*

"Why look at you, you miserable pile of.."

*zombie torso jumps on Yaiba*

"SHIT! GET THE FUCK OFF ME! "

ArjanN

So I beat it today and still feel the same, It's a colourful, dumb but fun brawler, it's basically in the same ballpark as games like Deadpool, Ninja Blade, Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death, etc.

Can't help but think reviewers.felt this game was cool to shit on as it's definitely not as bad as the reviews make it out to be.

About halfway through and I'm enjoying it for what it is, a violent, hyper stylized, responsive game with a crass sense of humor. Can't wait to play some more tonight. I'll upload some screens a little later, as well.

Blu(e)

So I beat it today and still feel the same, It's a colourful, dumb but fun brawler, it's basically in the same ballpark as games like Deadpool, Ninja Blade, Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death, etc.

Can't help but think reviewers.felt this game was cool to shit on as it's definitely not as bad as the reviews make it out to be.

Basically this. Beat the game on Hard and still enjoyed it. Countering was difficult because of the small window to do it. Also, after they stopped introducing new enemies near the middle of the game, they just opted to send them again but just in larger numbers. Chapter 6 being the worst. Final boss was also a let down.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I had a chance to play it for a good 30 minutes or so and found it dreadfully boring. That's really the issue.

There's nothing interesting happening. You just move from arena to arena mashing buttons. There's no need to do anything else. It's not fundamentally broken or anything but it just feels completely uninspired. It feels like a low budget PS2 game from a no name studio.

Resident Evil 6 was similarly shit on but beneath the surface of that game was an incredibly complex and interesting set of mechanics alongside some of the most varied scenarios in gaming. The game was constantly throwing new stuff at the player even if some of it didn't quite work.

Yaiba is just flat out boring.

Tizoc

Help me out with Mission 5 please
How the heck am I supposed to take down Ryu in the 2nd battle area? I want to counter him but I'm unable to time it right with his white flashing attacks. Is there an easier way to beat him?

Here is my video review. I think the game got pretty hammered on scores as well. It's full of issues but putting the same score as say something like Ride To Hell it doesn'tt deserve.Could have been better but still had some mindless fun.

Tizoc

OK beat that stage at last. Died what 10ish times? Looks like I'm in the final level now.
So to counter you gotta look out for the enemy to 'glow white' and time R1/Block..

ArjanN

OK beat that stage at last. Died what 10ish times? Looks like I'm in the final level now.
So to counter you gotta look out for the enemy to 'glow white' and time R1/Block..

On easy there's a little arc that appears over the enemy when you have to counter. Not sure if it's the same for the harder difficulties.

Oh, and I thought the upgrade where Yaiba charges up his fist then rockets across the screen is probably the most useful.

Yeah, 720p Steam captures. My comfy couch set up has its setbacks. ;)

X2P2n5V.jpg

2KNjR2j.jpg

XCVn3O1.jpg

And the video options I promised...

He's surprisingly positive about the game. Interesting.

The difference between him and the other reviewers I guess, is that he chose to look at the title as a Yaiba game instead of a Ninja Gaiden game. Also accepts that the puerile nature of the game is part and parcel of the series. Judged on its own merits and without the NG name attached to it, I wonder if it'd have been reviewed better by the rest of the games jurnalism industry?

Broritos

This game looks pretty legit. Combat seems solid and fun and it looks like there's enough enemy variety to keep it interesting. The art style is great too.

I never trust reviewers when they talk about balance because most of the time they don't know what the fuck they're talking about. Most people who complain about balance also seem to suck at games as well.

I want to give this game a try but not at $60. I don't know when this $60 price tag for PC games began but I'm not going to condone it.

Astarte

Well, I changed my mind pretty fast after playing more than 2 stages. The game can be downright mean sometimes, but I like overcoming those asshole super zombies. I haven't gotten far, but I hope the game gets even more ridiculous.

Tizoc

The difference between him and the other reviewers I guess, is that he chose to look at the title as a Yaiba game instead of a Ninja Gaiden game. Also accepts that the puerile nature of the game is part and parcel of the series. Judged on its own merits and without the NG name attached to it, I wonder if it'd have been reviewed better by the rest of the games jurnalism industry?

I had wondered if he'd be more lenient about the game. All things considered its got the makings of a decent game...which is what it is, and no more; nothing amazing nothing too bad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I don't think that's even fair, though.

I tried the game knowing damn well that it wasn't a Ninja Gaiden title. It's simply a boring brawler.

I suppose it's competently made but I simply didn't find it to be any fun.

ArjanN

Yeah pretty pleasantly surprised by his take on it.

I like how the game basically strong arms you into performing high damage combos for execution mode. Really satisfying stringing them together and collecting all that health after being lit on fire. Speaking of elements, the combining of elemental attacks is pretty well done here. Nothing quite like taking an electric weapon and popping bile zombies, turning the into crystal. Neat stuff.

Blu(e)

I like how the game basically strong arms you into performing high damage combos for execution mode. Really satisfying stringing them together and collecting all that health after being lit on fire. Speaking of elements, the combining of elemental attacks is pretty well done here. Nothing quite like taking an electric weapon and popping bile zombies, turning the into crystal. Neat stuff.
Yeah or combining fire and shock to make a crazy lightning storm while the zombies run around with their heads off running into other zombies and starting it all over again. The combined effect of all three elements doesn't seem that powerful though.

Been playing arcade mode and it seems to have four stages. The story is about Yaiba trying to find his sake bottle and it's written in the style of poorly translated Japanese games. It has the same events in the main game with no Ryu and all about the sake bottle. It's also really difficult. Will try again later tonight to beat it.

Edit: Nevermind Ryu is in it.

Ecto311

Got the deal tweet that this is $10 at gamestop - worth it? Looks cool and big fan of black but never really got into ninja gaiden 2.

Ecto311

Goddamnit because this art style and the ideas of weapons coming from the enemies sounds badass but it sucks. The IGN review sounded like it was passable till you fight bosses and its a shitshow.

Liamario

Banned
Goddamnit because this art style and the ideas of weapons coming from the enemies sounds badass but it sucks. The IGN review sounded like it was passable till you fight bosses and its a shitshow.
I know you want another ninja gaiden black, we all do, but this certainly isn't it.

Tapejara

What's the verdict on this in terms of performance? I know the PC version runs at 60FPS, but unfortunately my 7570 is pretty terrible at running most games. If I had to choose between the PS3 and 360 versions, which one is better?

Top Bottom