• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z |OT| Hobo Raiden's Bizarre Revengeance

You mean to tell me this game has auto jumping or something? You can't 'manually' jump!? That is the most basic function for any game like this. Fuck that.

You kidding me? We going back to N64 Zelda days with the no jumping business? If you can't jump in this game there isn't a reason you would need to...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
You kidding me? We going back to N64 Zelda days with the no jumping business? If you can't jump in this game there isn't a reason you would need to...
You're comparing Zelda to a game like Ninja Gaiden!? You're kidding me, right? For a Ninja Gaiden game not to have a jump button? In fact, most of these 'character action' games have one. Only one that comes to mind that also didn't have a jump button would be Heavenly Sword and it didn't feel right without one.

BadWolf

You're comparing Zelda to a game like Ninja Gaiden!? You're kidding me, right? For a Ninja Gaiden game not to have a jump button? In fact, most of these 'character action' games have one. Only one that comes to mind that also didn't have a jump button would be Heavenly Sword and it didn't feel right without one.

God Hand did fine without it.

BadWolf

LMAO this CVG review

"You'll suspect something's up straight away when same cutscene plays twice after you hit start. Then you'll notice that the camera seems dedicated to obscuring the 'action', either hanging over Yaiba's shoulder or pulling back to near-orbital distance, immediately losing him in the mob. Then comes the enemies standing in the foreground and thus obscuring everything. Then, when you're in trouble, various filters smother the screen. Then, when close to death, the display turns black and white.

Then you'll notice how often the simplistic, glorified QTE platforming sections manage to collapse, despite their thoroughly directed nature, as the camera fails to show the next grapple point. After that, you'll probably notice how characters, including Yaiba, tend to slide around and teleport when their scripting breaks.

And then, if you're lucky, you'll have the enemy AI and Yaiba's combat controls simultaneously disable during a fight, plunging you into a videogame limbo from which there is no escape. And then you'll find out that the checkpoint restart system actually restarts the whole level, knocking you back an hour. And then you'll probably give up, because making up the lost time just is not worth it."

Haha this looks like a game to pass.

God Hand was also garbage.

url-17.gif

Only really frustrating part so far for me was the first boss battle. Very unforgiving. Once I figured that out. Not a problem. Not a terible game, just not amazing. I'm having bloody fun but I'm guessing I'll be in the minority.

Mesharey

How can I win against chapter 5 boss? It's so frustrating, I don't know why am I even playing it.

Can't wait to download Infamous and change this horrible game. :|

Can I change the difficulty? :/
Edit: I won but I need to change the difficulty. -.-"

nynt9

Even though opinions can be subjective, there are some opinions that are flat out wrong. This is one of them.

I got a download code for this game for review purposes, so I'll be trying it out. It can't be that bad, can it?

Even though opinions can be subjective, there are some opinions that are flat out wrong. This is one of them.

I got a download code for this game for review purposes, so I'll be trying it out. It can't be that bad, can it?

Honestly I don't think so. It's not the most amazing game but for killing zombies with some flashy cool attacks, a cool comic style presetation going on, etc. I dig it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
The more this game gets shit on the more I'm looking forward to it funnily enough :p I don't even expect it to be good I just want to play it now! I'm hoping that at least on PC a higher framerate etc will help with combat which I think can sometimes be underestimated in how much more fun it can make a game.

Tizoc

An IMPORTANT advice.

If you really want to get it, play it on EASY!

I'm playing it on normal and it's frustrating.

Hmm is there like a New Game+ mechanic? Or can you replay stages on harder difficulties to get the 'Beat the game on Hard' cheevos and the like?

Mesharey

Now now Mesharey, is this code for you being fucking terrible at the game ?

I kid, I kid! :p
I just hope my luck is good when I click continue. T_T
Hmm is there like a New Game+ mechanic? Or can you replay stages on harder difficulties to get the 'Beat the game on Hard' cheevos and the like?
You can select the chapters, but I didn't check if you can choose another difficulty, can't check now, can't risk to delete my progress, currently at the end of level 6.
I'll check later.

My death count in level 5 is 44. T_T

nynt9

I just played some. Turns out it CAN be that bad.

I gave up on this because I couldn't beat Ryu on hard.
Dropped down to normal, still ridiculously difficult.
I'm not one to quit a game because of a difficult boss battle or a frustrating part, but it just wasn't fun.
If anyone can beat this game on hard I commend you, both for your skill (I guess) and for your steel will to keep pushing through this game.
The difficulties above that, you're crazy sorry.

ArjanN

I gave up on this because I couldn't beat Ryu on hard.
Dropped down to normal, still ridiculously difficult.
I'm not one to quit a game because of a difficult boss battle or a frustrating part, but it just wasn't fun.
If anyone can beat this game on hard I commend you, both for your skill (I guess) and for your steel will to keep pushing through this game.
The difficulties above that, you're crazy sorry.

One of the reviews recommended playing on easy first because your upgrades carry over.

Mesharey

Finished it finally, it was extremely hard on normal.
When you finish it you unlock NGZ mode and 2 more costumes.
You can also select any chapter and any difficulty.

I really recommended playing on easy.

nynt9

I can. The gameplay in that game was abysmal. Like, I get it as being a metaphor or whatever, but that was a 6 hour slog with a message that wasn't really worth it to me.

It would make sense that this game would play like garbage too.

I guess the "hey, it's SUPPOSED to be bad!" excuse only goes so far.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Except the gameplay in Spec Ops The Line wasn't abysmal at all. I thought it was a damned decent shooter, good shotgun too. Very satisfying slow mo shots when getting headshots as well. Doesn't mean much for Yaiba but to say Spec Ops was a bad shooter just isn't right IMO.

Except the gameplay in Spec Ops The Line wasn't abysmal at all. I thought it was a damned decent shooter, good shotgun too. Doesn't mean much for Yaiba but to say Spec Ops was a bad shooter just isn't right IMO.

A good shooter sticks; becomes mentioned as an exemplar of the genre. Spec Ops was known for it's tedious gunplay as being reflective of the "trials and horrors" of war. I never heard anyone say the gameplay was actually good beyond saying "it's meant to be horrific because that's war yadda yadda yadda"

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
A good shooter sticks; becomes mentioned as an exemplar of the genre. Spec Ops was known for it's tedious gunplay as being reflective of the "trials and horrors" of war. I never heard anyone say the gameplay was actually good beyond saying "it's meant to be horrific because that's war yadda yadda yadda"

Well you have now :p And I don't give a fuck what anyone else says about Spec Ops, it's a genuinely good shooter as far as I'm concerned, it just happens to be a shooter that tells a damned decent story as well. That's not a go at you by the way, just that the whole 'bad gameplay reflects horrors of war' thing was always bollocks to me as well, if I didn't enjoy it's gameplay I would have thought less of it. Some great, aggressive battles on the higher difficulties as well.

Haha first the God Hand hate and now Spec Ops? Yaiba brings out the worst in people it seems.

I fully expected yaiba to be terrible from the get go, but was hoping it would somehow surprise us all, especially since it was coming to Steam. Tis a dang shame, loved Ninja Gaiden/ Black.

MUnited83

For you.
Finished it finally, it was extremely hard on normal.
When you finish it you unlock NGZ mode and 2 more costumes.
You can also select any chapter and any difficulty.

I really recommended playing on easy.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that someone with a avatar such as yours is recommending people to play games on easy :(

nynt9

So I got to this part where I'm supposed to kill something to progress, but it clipped through the wall while I was comboing on it and I can't progress.

Great game guys.

Riposte

Aww, man. Shame this turned out to be pants. Pass!

QS58D.gif

The worst thing about Godhand is that they come back after you do that.

Jump buttons are really not necessary. In fact, I would argue one of the most meaningful distinctions between 3D action games is the inclusion or lack of of free jump (that's meaningful, in any case), there's good games on both sides (though Monster Hunter recently gained a jump and I think Dark Souls did too).

God Hand is easily up there with Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden as one the best action games ever.

You should stop fooling yourself into thinking that statement is true.

I don't see how anyone who who calls themselves gamer would actually say God Hand is good. Its the type of game you use as an example on how not to make a game. God Hand is right up there with Superman 64 and E.T. as one of the worst games ever released.

God Hand was the best garbage ever created though. It was amazingly dumb.

This game is shit. Honestly kinda happy for the release of a stinker like this, I love reading/watching reviews of really bad games and sadly nobodies been covering Dark Shadows - Army of Evil. (seriously, for those of you who haven't watched Jim Sterlings video on this do so. It's SO BAD. I love it.)

EDIT: Also damn, Jim Sterling's score. I heard him talking on the co-optional saying that he expected it to be bad based on the early reviews it got, but damn he gave it 10/100. This must have been physically painful for him to play to earn that score.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I don't see how anyone who who calls themselves gamer would actually say God Hand is good. Its the type of game you use as an example on how not to make a game. God Hand is right up there with Superman 64 and E.T. as one of the worst games ever released.

You're talking shit son. Sit yourself down, have a coke and a smile and behave yourself.

Riposte

We IGN now

(please state reasons)

such terrible opinions should be bannable

Top Bottom