• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z |OT| Hobo Raiden's Bizarre Revengeance

url-17.gif

Cary Grant lays down the law.

Sigh...regardless of this game being good or not, it being designed without the need of a jump button isn't some terrible issue mechanically. I haven't played it, but I never can understand this type of thinking. It's like getting upset that your car can't fly when it wasn't designed to do so. If the mechanics were fashioned around NOT jumping, wouldn't throwing in a jump button break everything.

You couldn't block in Viewtiful Joe, and that is a "basic function". Didn't stop the game from being perfectly balanced and fun.

You should stop fooling yourself into thinking that statement is true.

I don't see how anyone who who calls themselves gamer would actually say God Hand is good. Its the type of game you use as an example on how not to make a game. God Hand is right up there with Superman 64 and E.T. as one of the worst games ever released.

83334-NOT-SURE-meme-gif-Fry-Flanders-QRj7.gif

Broritos

Why is the sound so shitty? It also seems like it's missing some sounds. It's completely quiet upon entering the bloodlust animation.

Finished it finally, it was extremely hard on normal.
When you finish it you unlock NGZ mode and 2 more costumes.
You can also select any chapter and any difficulty.

I really recommended playing on easy.

Didn't you finish Master Ninja on the other Ninja Gaidens? Is that it harder than or comparable to those difficulties? If so........... >_<

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Damn so this game looked to be the easiest game ever in previews/trailers but now people are saying it's actually pretty hard on even normal? Consider me interested bad reviews or not.

I don't see how anyone who who calls themselves gamer would actually say God Hand is good. Its the type of game you use as an example on how not to make a game. God Hand is right up there with Superman 64 and E.T. as one of the worst games ever released.

Seriously? Godhand was amazing. Comparing it to ET or Superman is just wrong.

Tizoc

Haha first the God Hand hate and now Spec Ops? Yaiba brings out the worst in people it seems.

I fully expected yaiba to be terrible from the get go, but was hoping it would somehow surprise us all, especially since it was coming to Steam. Tis a dang shame, loved Ninja Gaiden/ Black.

IMO, the fact the game is HARDER on Normal and higher is rather surprising.

Atlas157

29a.gif

Astarte

I really REALLY wanted to like this game. So far the only thing I'm enjoying is the presence of Ryu and that menu drop.
I really hope you are kidding about God Hand being crap.

Mesharey

Didn't you finish Master Ninja on the other Ninja Gaidens? Is that it harder than or comparable to those difficulties? If so........... >_<
It's harder. :/
And Yes, I finished all NG games on master ninja (even NG: DS), except NG3.
First 2 to 3 levels were easy but then it will be harder starting from level 4.
I have to say that I'm disappointed that someone with a avatar such as yours is recommending people to play games on easy :(
I don't recommend playing games on easy at all! XD.
Usually my first play through is on normal or hard if it's a sequel of a game I like (NG, Halo, GoW, etc).
But trust me the difficulty here will jump from level 4. (Check other posts regarding level 5 XD).

Even though the game wasn't good but I enjoyed action parts sometimes and I liked difficulty challenge that's why I finished it.

All of these bad reviews are making me want to play it. I have a thing for bad movies, games. It looks like such a cheesy game, I almost can't wait!

Also, thank you Gaf. THANK YOU. Without you, I would be starved for gifs. Your relentless editing of normal gifs into halarious godlike ones is one thing that makes me giggle like a schoolboy. Keep up the good work.

ArjanN

It's harder. :/
And Yes, I finished all NG games on master ninja (even NG: DS), except NG3.
First 2 to 3 levels were easy but then it will be hard starting ftom level 4.

I don't recommend playing games on easy at all! XD.
Usually my first play through is on normal or hard if it's a sequel of a game I like (NG, Halo, GoW, etc).
But trust me the difficulty here will jump from level 4. (Check other posts regarding level 5 XD).

I'm guessing it's similar to the Deadpool game in that the higher difficulties assume you have an upgraded character, from playing easy/normal first.

AHA-Lambda

Haha first the God Hand hate and now Spec Ops? Yaiba brings out the worst in people it seems.

I fully expected yaiba to be terrible from the get go, but was hoping it would somehow surprise us all, especially since it was coming to Steam. Tis a dang shame, loved Ninja Gaiden/ Black.

Eh, there is a contingent of people on gaf, including myself, that don't like spec ops.

God hand though? :S

danmaku

I wonder who thought it was a good idea to make the game so hard. Wasn't it supposed to be a casual-friendly spinoff?

Ushiwaka

2570175-ih5ywu35u5liw.gif

Ushiwaka

And Fang was never heard from again.

lol.
I mean come on, man. I can understand how some people may not like God Hand, but to say the game is up there with Superman 64 and E.T. as one of the worst games ever released?! That's just wrong. But then again, I would be happy to hear his reasons.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing this at the minute and tbh ? I'm enjoying it. It's not brilliant, it's not even great but I'm finding it a likable enough game so far. It's a very scatterbrained game, it's not precise, very scrappy and the very definition of a brawler but I'm having a good time with it so far. Combat's fun and Yaiba does seem to have a decent number of abilities so far. Not too keen on the automated platforming and would rather it had been left out altogether. In some ways in reminds me of my guilty pleasure Onechanbara though it's a bit more sophisticated than that in its abilities. 60fps on PC is very nice indeed and the game works like an absolute charm. I was expecting Yaiba to also be some real misogynistic twat going by what I've heard but whilst he is an asshole I haven't really heard too much that's particularly bad. Doesn't really effect the game either way for me though.

But damn fuck me is this game hard on hard. I'm in the middle of chapter 3 at the minute and it's spanking my arse. I'm still not sure if it's the good hard or bad hard at the minute but I'm going towards bad hard for one reason. Animation cancelling. Yaibas dash is fine in itself (though I'd rather have a jump button) but for a fast brawler like this you should be able to cancel out of your animation at any time, if it let you do this it would be muuuuuch better. I'm also still learning enemy attack patterns and Yaibas abilities so I'm not sure how good/bad a player I'm being at the minute - what's blockable, what's unblockable etc. I think it would be a more fun game on the easier difficulties. This isn't Black or NG2 of course, they're faaaaar more precise. I'll see how it goes and keep playing it but I don't hate it at all, the hate seems kinda overblown tbh but those are my initial impressions.

I'll tell you one thing though, it's muuuuuuuuuuuuch more fun than Ninja Gaiden pile of shit 3. Without a doubt.

ArjanN

I'm playing this at the minute and tbh ? I'm enjoying it. It's not brilliant, it's not even great but I'm finding it a likable enough game so far. It's a very scatterbrained game, it's not precise, very scrappy and the very definition of a brawler but I'm having a good time with it so far. Combat's fun and Yaiba does seem to have a decent number of abilities so far. Not too keen on the automated platforming and would rather it had been left out altogether. In some ways in reminds me of my guilty pleasure Onechanbara though it's a bit more sophisticated than that in its abilities. 60fps on PC is very nice indeed and the game works like an absolute charm. I was expecting Yaiba to also be some real misogynistic twat going by what I've hard but whilst he is an asshole I haven't really heard too much that's particularly bad. Doesn't really effect the game either way for me though.

But damn fuck me is this game hard on hard. I'm in the middle of chapter 3 at the minute and it's spanking my arse. I'm still not sure if it's the good hard or bad hard at the minute but I'm going towards bad hard for one reason. Animation cancelling. Yaibas dash is fine in itself (though I'd rather have a jump button) but for a fast brawler like this you should be able to cancel out of your animation at any time, if it let you do this it would be muuuuuch better. I'm also still learning enemy attack patterns and Yaibas abilities so I'm not sure how good/bad a player I'm being at the minute - what's blockable, what's unblockable etc. I think it would be a more fun game on the easier difficulties. This isn't Black or NG2 of course, they're faaaaar more precise. I'll see how it goes and keep playing it but I don't hate it at all, the hate seems kinda overblown tbh but those are my initial impressions.

I'll tell you one thing though, it's muuuuuuuuuuuuch more fun than Ninja Gaiden pile of shit 3. Without a doubt.

I've played a couple of levels of the PC version and I have to agree. It's kind of a sloppy brawler, but also pretty fun. These reviews were WAY too harsh.

It really is pretty similar to the Deadpool game by High Moon in a lot of ways: 60FPS, goofy tone that works about half the time, surprising amount of mechanics but none of them super polished, etc.

It also seems similar to that game in that you want to start on a lower difficulty to unlock the upgrades and abilities as they carry over and the harder difficulties will chew you up without them.

Full disclosure: I got the game from a trader for like 20 bucks though.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I've played a couple of levels of the PC version and I have to agree. It's kind of a sloppy brawler, but also pretty fun. These reviews were WAY too harsh.

It really is pretty similar to the Deadpool game by High Moon in a lot of ways: 60FPS, goofy tone that works about half the time, surprising amount of mechanics but none of them super polished, etc.

It also seems similar to that game in that you want to start on a lower difficulty to unlock the upgrades and abilities as they carry over and the harder difficulties will chew you up without them.

Full disclosure: I got the game from a trader for like 20 bucks though.

Same here and for that price I feel it's very much worth it, it's in no fuckin way worth £50, Tecmo Koei you cheeky bastards.

Onto mission 4 on hard and doing better now, understanding things a bit more and having a better time. It's still a bit sloppy in its execution but a fun time anyway. I just genuinely don't get the 'terrible' reviews. OK opinions and all that but I've played so many damn games, even big budget AAA ones, I hate more than this. But oh well I guess, opinions and all that.

Mdk7

Damn so this game looked to be the easiest game ever in previews/trailers but now people are saying it's actually pretty hard on even normal? Consider me interested bad reviews or not.
i usually dig hard games.
But i warn you buddy: this PoS is not hard per se, it's ridiculously unfair, frustrating and unfun.
There is no sense of reward, just abysmal balance and horrible game design.

No PC Performance Thread for this game? (lol)

I'll be back later to post my findings using my shitty laptop once the download from Steam is done, 'net is really misbehaving today.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I shouldn't be too surprised but the majority of the reviews for this are absolutely scathing. Time to stop making these games for a while Tecmo, if you haven't already killed off the series for good.

Alrighty, the Steam stuff is done. Going to the game folder reveals that game itself only occupies around 5.9GB, 3GB of which are made up of .bik movies.

Performance itself is absolutely phenomenal on my really old Core 2 T9550 laptop combined with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670 graphics card. Getting 40-60 FPS @ 900p resolution with Texture and World Detail set to Very High, and the rest of the options turned off, which is acceptable to me for my system.

Speaking of which, the Graphics Options menu is decent enough, and offers all the options you would expect for a UE3 PC port.

The game performs much better than Thief (another Unreal Engine 3 game) which is a horribly optimized mess in terms of the performance on my low end 5 year old laptop.

The game itself may be horribly bad in the reviews, but the PC Port is a very, very competant one in terms of the performance. Well done Spark (if you're the ones directly involved in porting it).

EDIT:-

There's a very long PITA list of startup movies you can't skip unless you rename/remove the following files located the game's folder (gamefolder\NRZGame\Movie)
Code:
SparkLogo.bik
SparkLogo_JPP.bik
StartupNVidia.bik

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Either I'm being really shit or this fuckin games balance is fucked on hard. It really doesn't feel fair at times, like more unfair than NG2 at higher difficulties unfair. I don't mind enemies being incredibly aggressive and I like the 3 elements combo design but it's like they don't know how to design encounters properly around these elements the further the game goes on. They're basically just trying to be more 'precise' and not doing a good job of it.

I can see it being a loooooot more fun on easy/normal though. I stand by the games core combat being fun and as an easy button masher I can see it a lot more fun that way. I don't mind shallow repetitive games, hell I like Dynasty Warriors and Onechanbara for fuck sake! But it's obvious they don't know how to take advantage of the combat system they've created at a higher play. I still don't think it's warranted the incredibly harsh reviews though, I've played much worse than this. It has good parts and bad parts too it, I just don't agree with it being a case of just outright fuckin terrible.

The game performs much better than Thief (another Unreal Engine 3 game) which is a horribly optimized mess in terms of the performance on my low end 5 year old laptop.

The game itself may be horribly bad in the reviews, but the PC Port is a very, very competant one in terms of the performance. Well done Spark (if you're the ones directly involved in porting it).

Of course the game runs better than Thief, it looks like complete ass. Thief may not have Ryse-quality textures but it's a very good looking game. Yaiba's uglyness is only somewhat masked by the cel-shading and it's not going to take a Titan to run it well. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran at 60fps on a card from 2005.

Tizoc

What the hey man, Yaiba doesn't have cards? Hope they add them soon =/
So far it's OK. Really colorful and combat is OK. If you want a Musou like game where you slaughter hordes of enemies you might like this. The stronger zombies however are a hassle.

Gonna beat it on Easy first, then replay on normal to unlock everything, then prob. go for the remaining cheevos.

Visually though it looks really good at 60 FPS~
15C8083D3F9D1318D898FD8113FAFE38E9A89AA8

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's also annoying on normal, I've said it many times here if anyone wants to play it start on easy.

I shouldn't have doubted you dude I swear! I'm also having real trouble with the countering and blocking. From what I can see there is no sign in whats unblockable or not and I can't get the countering down at all.

I feel this game will be much more fun as as button masher than for the higher difficulty of play they've tried (and failed) to do.

Tizoc

^Have you tried doing the Dash follow-up charge attack against enemies?
On the one hand I like that the game doesn't tell you what's unblockable or not.
On the other it really limits you defensive options.
I like how Killer is Dead it in that you have both a Guard Counter and a Dodge Counter.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
^Have you tried doing the Dash follow-up charge attack against enemies?
On the one hand I like that the game doesn't tell you what's unblockable or not.
On the other it really limits you defensive options.
I like how Killer is Dead it in that you have both a Guard Counter and a Dodge Counter.

I've been messing with all the moves but when you're being attacked by those electric brides and you have two of those fat cunts spitting fire at you from a long distance things get a bit harder :p

game keeps crashing when i try to launch it

then once it actually starts, i can set up stuff in the menus. ok. try new game. loads then crashes

switch from full screen to window. crashes again

fuck this shit. valve better refund my money

edit: worked without vsync on windowed mode. what a well tested game

beat the first mission. game is ok. i like it so far outside of technical difficulties. if it isn't poorly balanced, i guess it should be ok. definitely better than deadpool, as far as gameplay goes

Of course the game runs better than Thief, it looks like complete ass. Thief may not have Ryse-quality textures but it's a very good looking game. Yaiba's uglyness is only somewhat masked by the cel-shading and it's not going to take a Titan to run it well. I wouldn't be surprised if it ran at 60fps on a card from 2005.

I'm just comparing games made using the same engine. Thief is like only UE3 game that I can't play with any sort of fluidness on my system, it stutters too much, even after setting everything to Low.

This game joins the ranks of nearly every other UE3/3.5 based game which performs decently on my admittedly ancient system.

(DmC, Mass Effect series, Batman Arkham series, Bulletstorm, Last Remnant, Mirror's Edge, Enslaved, MK, and Injustice and many others, all running well at around the same ballpark.)

Spoo

Level 3 or something on Normal. Fair challenge so far -- it's really important to always be upgrading to unlock new combos. Graphics aren't my favorite, but PC here so that 60 fps means a lot. Pretty funny game at times; a lot of the jokes range from smile-worthy to lol, with only a few leaving me confused.

The game is actually pretty fun? Not 60 dollars fun, which is what I paid for it, but when it hits ~20-30, beat-em-up fans and especially NG fans should bite.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Annnnd finished. Dropped the difficulty down to easy and enjoyed the last few levels a lot more. Didn't like the last few levels that much and definitely found the quality dropping as it went along. I genuinely liked the first 3 - 4 levels quite a bit (half the game I guess ? ) but found it less enjoyable as it went along. Maybe if I can be arsed sometime I'll go back and see if certain combos are better for certain enemies but I think I might just play South Park instead.

The Ninja Gaiden Z mode seems pretty fun from what I've seen, basically an 'old skool' sidescroller but done with Yaiba and all your abilities etc. Be interesting to see if making things much simpler makes it more fun, especially having the camera on one plane though admittedly out of all my complaints I didn't find the camera during the campaign to be that bad tbh.

I've certainly got my £15s worth out of it anyway. The funny thing is, out of all the games I've played on PC this year, this has been one of the best ports I've seen! Game quality dubious, port quality isn't!

Now to wait for Killer Is Dead on PC in May (I think). Hopefully that will be more fun, big fan of Suda but not played that yet.

Only played a pinch but I know I'll enjoy it. Responsive controls, skill tree, upgradables and a stylistic approach to die for. Yeah, it's UE, but it looks super cool on PC with all the
semi
expected bells and whistles. Took a screen earlier of the video option menu, will post it after I play some more.

Oh, and I don't even miss jumping. Game has what seems like a solid dash mechanic in place. As for the forced camera angles, I've always enjoyed locked cameras. Visual intent and all that. You can pan around the screen with the right analog, though. It just snaps back when letting go of the stick.

Top Bottom