• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Y0 really enhances the story of Y1 by virtue of adding depth to many characters retroactively.

That's exactly how I felt. You're playing Y0 wondering which of the characters are reoccurring or characters that has a role in 1. Just in the opening montage, I was going "That's a lot of people I know already!".

Some thoughts on the impact of 0 on Kiwami fro me below...some spoilers for 1
The fact that Nishiki ends up turning was heartwrenching from me. Considering the way he stopped you from murdering Shibusawa at end of 0 saying "If you cross the line, you will never be able to come back. We will cross that line together" T_T

Also did not expect to see two characters from zero dead so soon into the game.

I'll probably try to dive into Ishin again or just try to chip away at that Platinum trophy for 0.

0 has made me even more excited for Kiwami though. I know the plot of Yakuza 1, but never played it. Coming into that game after just finishing 0 is gonna be interesting, especially for those who are new to the series. I kinda envy them.

Never played Y1, but I did play Y4, and as soon as I beat Y0
I HAD to look up the plot for Y1 to know why Nishiki isn't a thing by the time that game comes around. A little upset I spoiled myself, but can't wait to play Kiwami all the same.

Riposte

Beat it. Really good Yakuza game, maybe even my favorite. The final boss fights were top tier, although I feel the story peaked a bit before the finale.

I liked the plot, but I feel like they really blundered on Majima from a series perspective, in a few ways. They could have just as easily given him a goofy/playful side that sometimes surfaces to balance off his somber moods (as it is with the other games, at least 3 and on), at the very least for substories, but they really wanted him to be a slightly ruder Kiryu (which is perfectly fine within the game itself, it works well for his cute cabaret club scenes). At most his zaniness it only hinted at in the smallest ways, like "the customer is king" stuff. It becomes really obvious when you run into a character who basically is Majima in a lot of ways, but horny for girls, not just good fights.

Putting aside series continuity, I think it causes his character development to be all over place in the ending scenes where they go on to link 0 and 1. I think at some point I got completely lost when it came to his relationship with
Sagawa. It just made no sense for them to be that friendly all of the sudden. A part of me wishes he was actually another, slightly more antagonistic character - perhaps a certain someone from 5 who shares a striking resemblance
. Focusing on series continuity, it's almost unbelievable how much 5 was ignored; I would even say it took me a bit out of the game whenever subjects like
marriage
and whatnot would appear in a substories or hostess interactions and get no personal comment at all from Majima.

It's still its own game, so not the biggest complaint, outside some awkward characterization in the epilogue moments and 5's character details haunting me when the discrepancy became painfully apparent. This just ended up being more of a ramble than I intended since my brain is fried some binging on Yakuza (this effect has happened to me on virtually all the games lol).

EDIT: It wasn't necessary, but I did wish they went a little more into Yumi and Yuko. Their physical absence is really felt. Could have made Y1 all the more devastating for Yuko if they made her fit a Haruka-like role, at least for post-game adventuring.

Auctopus

I liked the plot, but I feel like they really blundered on Majima from a series perspective, in a few ways. They could have just as easily given him a goofy/playful side that sometimes surfaces (as it is with the other games, at least 3 and on), at the very least for substories, but they really wanted him to be a slightly ruder Kiryu (which is perfectly fine within the game itself, it works well for his cute cabaret club scenes). At most his zaniness it only hinted at in the smallest ways, like "the customer is king" stuff. It becomes really obvious when you run into a character who basically is Majima in a lot of ways, but horny for girls, not just good fights.

Putting aside series continuity, I think it causes his character development to be all over place in the ending scenes where they go on to link 0 and 1. I think at some point I got completely lost when it came to his relationship with
Sagawa. It just made no sense for them to be that friendly all of the sudden. A part of me wishes he was actually another, slightly more antagonistic character - perhaps a certain someone from 5 who shares a striking resemblance

As a first time player, a lot of this didn't make sense to me either. Before going in to 0, the two people I was most aware of were Kiryu and Majima and I knew Majima was this pretty unique, crazy character.

To me, the turning point felt like it was coming after
his meeting with Shimano and Sagawa before he gets the shit beaten out of him by punks. I was thinking "Oh, this is it. He's going to turn." - Then, it didn't really realise itself. He goes kinda crazy by raiding the Dojima HQ but to be fair, Kiryu does that for much less at the beginning of the game?

Then in the epilogue, he's like "yeah, this is the new me." and it's such a huge departure, I'm not really sure in which way they wanted to develop his character.

The Sagawa thing didn't make sense to me as all I wanted to do for him during the game was hand his ass to him.

Would recommend everyone take the survey linked under the games info screen on PS4. Really enjoyable survey that seems actually useful to Sega (unlike Nintendo surveys).

Edgeward

There is a Dragon and Tiger subsidiary shop in that cramped up region in the middle of Kamurocho. Just near the north exit of it, yellow icon on the map.
First time you approach it there is an event and then you can buy weapons you crafted with Majima and repair.

That or you could buy Repair Kits in some stores. Maybe Don Quixote?

I'll look into that and see what's up. thanks

massoluk

Banned
I cheesed the disco king challenge so hard. I finished on easy and after like 2 dozen tries, I didn't beat him, the dude actually self-destructed, cleared the disco king at 4480+ vs 4420+

I cheesed the disco king challenge so hard. I finished on easy and after like 2 dozen tries, I didn't beat him, the dude actually self-destructed, cleared the disco king at 4480+ vs 4420+

I wish I could consistently score a score that'll allow me to beat a self destructing dance AI. My play gets bad after repetition and annoyance that even when they self destruct... mine does too.

To me, the turning point felt like it was coming after
his meeting with Shimano and Sagawa before he gets the shit beaten out of him by punks. I was thinking "Oh, this is it. He's going to turn." - Then, it didn't really realise itself. He goes kinda crazy by raiding the Dojima HQ but to be fair, Kiryu does that for much less at the beginning of the game?

Then in the epilogue, he's like "yeah, this is the new me." and it's such a huge departure, I'm not really sure in which way they wanted to develop his character.

The Sagawa thing didn't make sense to me as all I wanted to do for him during the game was hand his ass to him.
I'm not at home but I'm gonna give my detailed opinion on the character when i get home.

C3926bjUoAAvwDi.jpg

Seems SEGA had a good quarter in retail, thanks to Yakuza 6.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02/06/sega-announces-positive-financial-results-thanks-yakuza-6-phantasy-star-online-2/

Hopefully, we won't have to wait for thenext quarterly report for Y0 sales.

Good news indeed. Hopefully we get a new Yakuza announcement this year around TGS then (not bothered if they decide to skip a year though to give them more time to continue building on the new engine, I've got 0 and Kiwami to play through in English this year to get my fix on the series!)

IrishNinja

This fucking game.

I love the Yakuza series, and I've been a fan since the first one in 2006... but holy hell, this game is on such another level that it's scary. First 2017 release I've played, and already a real GOTY candidate. It's just so good.

+1

+1

danowat

Banned
Are cat fights just entirely random?, or are they rigged?, does the "Mash X" thing ever work?, I am mashing away like a madman and it never has.

Is there are way to make a reasoned choice?, or is it just entirely based on luck?

JJShadow

Holy fuck, I really didn't expect (BIG spoiler Chapter 10)
Tachibana to be the man with the bat tatoo :O This story keeps delivering, cannot wait to see how Majima and Kiryu's plot are interconnected at the end

Are cat fights just entirely random?, or are they rigged?, does the "Mash X" thing ever work?, I am mashing away like a madman and it never has.

Is there are way to make a reasoned choice?, or is it just entirely based on luck?

Purely luck based.Just pick Jennifer and pray you win :p.
The button mashing is also random.You have to press X but it's again random if you win or not.
Btw if you do a rainbow attack don't skip the cut-scene because the game lets you mash O and do some extra damage.
I don't think there anything else you can do actually.The only think that I know is that each opponent uses one of her moves often, one occasionally and one seldom, but this doesn't help much .

So I have a question for the completionists.Did anyone collected 100 different weapons and 100 different gears?If so is there an easy way to do it or you just have to keep playing the Agent minigame?Man that's a lot of stuff to collect :/

Cloukyo

Banned
Moment I finished 0 I went on to 4 so I could see more Majima.

Kinda regret it because 4 is good but now the burnout I got from 0 is gone and I want to do the rest of the sidemissions now...

Should I finish 4 and go back to 0? Or should I put 4 on the backburner and go back to 0?

danowat

Banned
The button mashing is also random.You have to press X but it's again random if you win or not.
Btw if you do a rainbow attack don't skip the cut-scene because the game lets you mash O and do some extra damage.
I don't think there anything else you can do actually.The only think that I know is that each opponent uses one of her moves often, one occasionally and one seldom, but this doesn't help much .

So basically, don't bother with it, unless you like looking at scantily clad female fighters!

So I have a question for the completionists.Did anyone collected 100 different weapons and 100 different gears?If so is there an easy way to do it or you just have to keep playing the Agent minigame?Man that's a lot of stuff to collect :/

You have to unlock all the blue prints via the agent mini game anyway as part of 100% completion - so you may as well stick with it as if you want to get the 100% trophy you'll need to acquire all the items/components via this mode I'm afraid :(

Desmond

When you have a lot of money, just keep lumping it into the agent minigame to remove the wait time. I've been missing the odd gear for months 😂

Kain

This Sagawa dude has Majima by the balls for 500M and by chapter 6 I already have like 6 billion and rising, I just can't spend more than I earn lol

massoluk

Banned
This Sagawa dude has Majima by the balls for 500M and by chapter 6 I already have like 6 billion and rising, I just can't spend more than I earn lol

Just you wait, you're going to be dirt poor for a while when you start doing real estate

Kain

Just you wait, you're going to be dirt poor for a while when you start doing real estate

I did start with Kazuma and I finished the chapter with like 1M after buying a lot of stuff. The difference is that I had a lot of encounters with the two Shakedowns with Majima and in Kazuma's storyline he's always napping lol

I hope this real state business gives a lot of money. Or I can just wait until they share money (they will at one point I guess).

Frimaire

I did start with Kazuma and I finished the chapter with like 1M after buying a lot of stuff. The difference is that I had a lot of encounters with the two Shakedowns with Majima and in Kazuma's storyline he's always napping lol

I hope this real state business gives a lot of money. Or I can just wait until they share money (they will at one point I guess).

Maxed out Real estate pays so well money quickly becomes useless for Kiryu.

Isn't the whole Empty Lot thing contingent on the Yakuza not wanting to pay a billion yen for that tiny piece of land? Just send a squad to rush Mr Shakedown and this whole game is over in like five minutes :p

Money becomes so useless for Kiryu that he
buys golden statues of himself.

Not really a spoiler, just kinda ruins a funny joke further along in the real estate business.

Rymuth

It's just a pre-text to keep him on a leash. Had things gone without incident, he would've asked for 1 billion--2 billion etc.

Majima was forever in the dog house, barring any earth-shaking circumstances.

Desmond

After spending so long doing the real estate quest, I don't think I have the energy to do the cabaret club.
Cabaret is so much better. Real Estate was such a chore in Premium Adventure. The fact that you have to wait is annoying in comparison to the actual game play in Majima's one.

For someone starting out, any tips on whether Brawler or Rush is superior down the road? I want to fully invest in one.

Brawler is a great all rounder style with plenty of heat moves, grabs and basic attacks. Its definitely worth upgrading it at least a bit. Rush does less damage per attack, but your way faster and far more agile. You can't grab though and this style has less heat moves compared to either brawler or beast. However its a great style especially for generating heat really quickly later on in the game if you upgrade it, and its especially useful for a few sections on the final level that involve enemies with weapons (you can quickly duck and dash out of harms way).

Though really you can get so much money in the game you shouldn't really have any issues upgrading all the styles if you take part in the money making side activities, upgrade certain Kiryu stats at the CP Shrine (basically so that enemies drop more money and heat moves generate more money). With those stats you can bleed Mr Shakedown dry!

kiaaa

I was planning on platinuming this game, but I'm gonna need a god damn guide for some of these minigames. Mahjong in particular, but the some of the gambling ones, too. I mean, what the fuck is Koi Koi even?

Top Bottom