• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Did the producer side quest today after buying it yesterday and that shit made this game one of my goty. This game is so goofy when it's on its downtime but so serious when it needs to be and it somehow works.

Also the mini games have so much work put into them it's crazy.

DC1

I want to also note that there are a number of (cameos) appearances in YZero from characters that appears throughout Y1 through Y5 as adults. The amount of twists and plot turns within the macro universe is mind blowing.

Here's to hoping that many of you will enjoy and stick with this hardboiled man powered series going forward. Looking forward to a remastered Y1 and 2 for the PS4.

Aki-at

Before playing this, I listened to Ben (from EZA's) thoughts on how well Majima was handled in Yakuza 0 and at some point he said something along the lines of him being an enjoyable character, but one that the series didn't really know what to do with. Does this make sense to any of the Yakuza vets here? Without spoiling anything, what could that comment mean in context?

Is Majima a somewhat minor character through the series or is his importance simply haphazard? Seeing how much I like the character here, I guess I'm curious as to how he develops in the series at large.

I haven't completed Yakuza 0 (Currently on chapter 13) but Majima in Yakuza 1 is closer to what Nishitani is and that's the only thing I feel he might be getting at?

But this isn't just a problem with Majima, this is an issue with the Yakuza series in general following Seishu departure as writer. A lot of the characters were a lot more rougher, a lot more scummy then what we got after Yokoyama took over writing duties. Kazuma even indirectly killed someone! (And it wasn't even treated as some major thing where Kazuma questions himself with guilt, just some throwaway moment in a scene) For me the series has tended to a romanticised version of the yakuza when the original was more then happy to show us all the major players had killed or involved in killing people. You could definitely feel the original Majima had murdered more than a few people but I'm not sure now with the current Majima.

At least that's what I feel he might be implying, it's my only disappointment with Yakuza 0 so far but I've become use to how RGG Studio idolise the characters since Yakuza 4.

DC1

Did the producer side quest today after buying it yesterday and that shit made this game one of my goty. This game is so goofy when it's on its downtime but so serious when it needs to be and it somehow works.

Also the mini games have so much work put into them it's crazy.
Exactly.

While fun and goofy, the series as a whole is unapologetically adult (no cutcards with respect to what is introduced or discussed in the real world of underground crime).

I love that folks are loving this.

Chapter 9 so far, absolutely loving it.

However, if I must share one criticism, the game doesn't split its pacing very well between the main story/side stories/business management story very well.

Ideally, I would not want to rush to completion any part of the game. I've been brisking it with 10 side-stories per chapter, and thought that doing 1 business arc per chapter since getting them would be fine.

But the main story has ramped up in tension so quickly that it emotionally doesn't feel right to be spending hours doing the business mini-games to push the completion when you're constantly reminded with dread music and looming sense of 'shit's hit the fan.'

Sapientas

Just got the Platinum after about 90 or so hours. Great game and my favorite in the series. Never played 2 though, so I hope they Kiwami it so I can enjoy it like I did this one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
fuggin' Super Bowl needs to end. I just want to go back to playing Yakuza. I'm close to the end, but I just want to keep playing the side quests and plugging away on my real estate tycoon. Might have to put Nioh off for a couple days.

xezuru

fuggin' Super Bowl needs to end. I just want to go back to playing Yakuza. I'm close to the end, but I just want to keep playing the side quests and plugging away on my real estate tycoon. Might have to put Nioh off for a couple days.

Why super bowl when you can mach bowl?

Cabaret management totally owns Real Estate management. It's a choice between pushing numbers and actually playing a game.

Yeah, I can see that.

The only thing is that it's been easier getting money from Real Estate than from Club Sunshine far as amount goes. I definitely enjoy managing Club Sunshine more since there's the training with the Platinum Hostesses. That's the best part in my opinion.

Ultimadrago

Just got the Platinum after about 90 or so hours. Great game and my favorite in the series. Never played 2 though, so I hope they Kiwami it so I can enjoy it like I did this one.

That sounds fast to me! I'm over 100 hours and not even very close (not that I was hunting exactly). Out of curiosity, what was the roughest part for you? I'd imagine arcade scores and gambling would annoy me most.

Betty

Banned
Just got past chapter 1 and did a couple of side quests and the game is amazing, the combat is way more fluid and enjoyable than an older Yakuza demo I played.

The depth of Pocket Car racing is blowing my mind.

Sapientas

That sounds fast to me! I'm over 100 hours and not even very close (not that I was hunting exactly). Out of curiosity, what was the roughest part for you? I'd imagine arcade scores and gambling would annoy me most.
Nothing was notably hard, though I finally had to learn how to play Mahjong so those challenges I guess.

The lack of English guides, especially with fishing and equipment/parts hunting adds up to an annoying experience too.

Overall I had a lot more trouble with Yakuza 4 and 5. Not having to do all Heat Actions + No Pachinko is a blessing to me.

I'd play full price for a (sizably) expanded version of the Cabaret Czar mini-game of a Y0 prequel of Majima rebuilding Cabaret Grand from below zero to its state in Zero.

Deeper recruitment/poaching element, ability to decorate interior and design your club layouts, hiring musicians for tone setting, hiring floor managers and waiters, troubling customers, a far richer relationship building mechanic with larger cast of more distinct characters.

And of course, Sotenbori is still available to travel around to do all sorts of partnerships, recruitments, all with a more interesting story than just paying money.

Sapientas

Yeah, Kiryu is the one I'm having trouble with but i'll keep looking.
Get the Peerless Pole for 30 million on Ebisu Pawn, same as Majima.
Not sure which, but a convenience store sells the lower tier baits, but they are not really needed. The best baits come from the Dream Machines, so use them whenever you see them.

Vorheez

Get the Peerless Pole for 30 million on Ebisu Pawn, same as Majima.
Not sure which, but a convenience store sells the lower tier baits, but they are not really needed. The best baits come from the Dream Machines, so use them whenever you see them.
Hmm... I must have skipped over the pole at the pawn shop. I'll go back. Thanks!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
yakuza0_201702051823351s4j.png

No Youda, we absolutely are not.

massoluk

Banned
I'd play full price for a (sizably) expanded version of the Cabaret Czar mini-game of a Y0 prequel of Majima rebuilding Cabaret Grand from below zero to its state in Zero.

Deeper recruitment/poaching element, ability to decorate interior and design your club layouts, hiring musicians for tone setting, hiring floor managers and waiters, troubling customers, a far richer relationship building mechanic with larger cast of more distinct characters.

And of course, Sotenbori is still available to travel around to do all sorts of partnerships, recruitments, all with a more interesting story than just paying money.
Ditto, I would play for a full game of Cabaret management, I don't care I actually just typed I want a full game of Cabaret management

Tizoc

Just got past chapter 1 and did a couple of side quests and the game is amazing, the combat is way more fluid and enjoyable than an older Yakuza demo I played.

The depth of Pocket Car racing is blowing my mind.
You are a grown ass man whp smashes people's faces in the pavement and walking around with millions of yen, and insulge ypurself by posing dramaticAlly before starting ot play an rc car game aimed at children.
This is why yakuza series is so fantastic

Sapientas

Is there a way to repair weapons in Kamurocho with Kiryu? I'm in chapter 6.
There is a Dragon and Tiger subsidiary shop in that cramped up region in the middle of Kamurocho. Just near the north exit of it, yellow icon on the map.
First time you approach it there is an event and then you can buy weapons you crafted with Majima and repair.

That or you could buy Repair Kits in some stores. Maybe Don Quixote?

My face when one of the job interview Sub Stories for Kiryu's real estate business turns into straight up Ace Attorney:

tumblr_m8tixo6pfj1qabi47o3_500.gif

There's a substory in Yakuza 3 that's even more like Ace Attorney with evidence gathering and finding who the culprit is! One of my favorite substories in that game!

I finally finished my Japanese copy of Zero after seeing everybody getting excited about it in here! Immediately jumped into Kiwami...which was honestly an interesting experience since as I've never played the original, a lot of the characters in 1 ending being far more impactful. :O

gfxtwin

I finally finished my Japanese copy of Zero after seeing everybody getting excited about it in here! Immediately jumped into Kiwami...which was honestly an interesting experience since as I've never played the original, a lot of the characters in 1 ending being far more impactful. :O

IYO how does the story in Kiwami hold up compared to 0?

IYO how does the story in Kiwami hold up compared to 0?

It's a good story that at its core isn't inferior to 0, but I would say it's a less nuanced story with weaker character writing than 0.

Y0 really enhances the story of Y1 by virtue of adding depth to many characters retroactively.

So glad in the end I bought this game. Was hard to find a copy when most places nearby didn't have it or was sold out. Thank god like 6 places exist that could of had this game.

Always wanted to get into the series after watching the best friends play 4 and that part with the dude walking with like 8 guns on him.

Though so far personal highlight is the first time you do karaoke. SO FUCKING HYPE!

Just finished the main story. Had only played Yakuza 4 before (which I enjoyed quite a bit despite not having any background in the series), and this easily tops it.

I would like to call out, and I'm considering this non-spoilers so correct me if I'm wrong, to anyone new to the franchise that when you're on your way to the final instance and the game prompts to ask if you're ready, make sure you have at least 2-3 hours set aside, as there will be no saving until you've seen the credits, and there is a straight up Return of the King-level one hour of cut scenes at the end.

Now onto finishing those sub stories and Real Estate/Cabaret storylines.

Menitta

So for anyone on a Yakuza-high after beating 0, here's advice. Don't look at Kiwami's new cutscenes and remade cutscenes. I see what they did and I can't unsee it.

Vorheez

Arr you kidding? I have to beat the electronic king at outrun? UGGGHHHH I'm terrible at outrun.

Edit: 4870000... Are you fucking kidding me?

So for anyone on a Yakuza-high after beating 0, here's advice. Don't look at Kiwami's new cutscenes and remade cutscenes. I see what they did and I can't unsee it.
Ive already played 1 and there is no way in hell I'm spoiling that for myself.

Just gonna play Ishin and other games instead.

Menitta

Ive already played 1 and there is no way in hell I'm spoiling that for myself.

Just gonna play Ishin and other games instead.

I'll probably try to dive into Ishin again or just try to chip away at that Platinum trophy for 0.

0 has made me even more excited for Kiwami though. I know the plot of Yakuza 1, but never played it. Coming into that game after just finishing 0 is gonna be interesting, especially for those who are new to the series. I kinda envy them.

Top Bottom