• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Majmun

A game hasn't made me laugh so hard in aaaages like this one does

the
dominatrix
substory with those kids in the park had me laughing out loud.

It's so silly, I love it!!!

Whenever I show people funny substories, their reaction is almost always the same.

Michael-What-the-office-10400786-400-226.gif

welp I got rushed on the streets by some men and black and one got stuck behind a chair which caused the game to not load the fight and me to lose progress

IrishNinja

young kazzy is just so great, like the hardass roots are there but he feels more naive

i will forever love how much he'll lecture people on doing wrong as a man/etc but he's like the least judgmental guy when it comes to the host of freaky shit he finds himself caught up in

fade_

So I DID start with this one and I found the story absolutely enthralling. I am motivated to look up the plots of the previous ones. Will this devalue the story in yakuza 0 in anyway?

So I DID start with this one and I found the story absolutely enthralling. I am motivated to look up the plots of the previous ones. Will this devalue the story in yakuza 0 in anyway?

Yakuza 0 bumps up the value of Yakuza 1's story considerably. I'd recommend not doing that but it's upto you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
welp I got rushed on the streets by some men and black and one got stuck behind a chair which caused the game to not load the fight and me to lose progress

Yep, happened to me once near the start of the game, sucked real bad. Always made sure afterward to run to a clearer area before engaging fights.

I'd recommend not doing that at least until you finish this game, some characters and plot points in future games are being set up in this game, you'll spoil things for this game in turn.

IrishNinja

Yakuza 0 bumps up the value of Yakuza 1's story considerably. I'd recommend not doing that but it's upto you.

this - just go into kiwami this summer, but feel free to pickup 3 or 4 on the cheap where you can!

Rizzi

I was excited for the ability for infinite durability knuckles in rush mode, but it's only when you're on the first heat bar. It takes me like two punches to get to the second bar! Seems like kind of a shitty ability.

"Shooreh pippi with me instead!"

I thought that meant Majima was
offering himself to the guru instead, the result was still hilarious but not quite what I was hoping for (as the way I was thinking of it, it would force the guru to react negatively and in turn accidentally reveal what he meant by it, which might've snapped her out of it). I also wished claiming to be the god would have worked, as that would have played into the previous interaction that showed that she'd snap out of her brainwashing if you did that.
Oh well, still a great sub-story, and I wish I had the time to play the game more. Recently I've been lucky to get even 1 hour in, and I want to get further in this great game!

I finished the game today.

I can't believe they blocked all that amazing last 2 hours from recording. :-/

The story..It brought a tear to my eye.

IrishNinja

yeah, which is such a shame - i dig that style but it's hard to justify when the other ones mop things up so much quicker

nevermind i found the training for the other 2 better as well

adamsapple

Man, the pre-fight zoom close ups are always awesome in these games.

Spoilering them just in case.

Yakuza 5 had an abso-fucking-lutely awesome one before the final boss.

Just finished chapter 14 and the one in it was nearly as awesome. The chapter ending though ... :'(

kiaaa

So far, the Media King fight has been the hardest thing in the game. He does pretty good damage, dodges really well, and his group is tough, too.

Any tips on fishing?? Spent like 10 minutes fishing with no avail. Only one fish went for the bait, but I pulled out too early. No luck ever since.

Well I just beat chapter 14.
I'm a bit sad now. That's twice I've cried at this. The first was Nishiki trying to kill Kiryu.

Yakuza 0 is honestly shaping up to be my favourite of the series. I kinda stopped doing the cabaret czar and real estate because I would be stuck doing those for hours, I've already got 55+ hours of playtime.

There's one small thing that I'm actually confused about and want some clarification (spoilers up to chapter 14 I guess)
So Oda sold Makoto into a sex trade. When exactly? Because she appeared on TV what I presumed was after she arrived in Japan? And so how would have that worked? Honestly I was fine with that but seeing her on TV and Tachibana going "that's my sister" made me really confused on the timeline of those events.

FUCK Kamoji and his bullshit Rush training.

Its already some bullshit that the weaving DOESN'T FUCKING WORK against certain attacks (the katana stab breaks it every time) but having to sit through the same unskippable chatter EVERY time has made me just give up.

Fuck Rush style and its shitty poor camera tiny area one hit wonder bullshit.

At least Tatsu's training was just tedious.

Venting over.
Don't feel any better though

EDIT: And done. The anger definitely helped. >=|

Next time you run into tedious shit with long talking bits in it, R1+X fast forwards text.

Dunno what I would've done without it during the disco substories.

adamsapple

Chapter 16.

This game is making me super excited for Kiwami. Hope they added more content to factor in all the shit that goes down in 0 when familiar characters meet.

adamsapple

Wow this cat fight shit is fucking terrible.

On both "what the fuck is this shit ?" and how randomized the rock paper scissors mechanics are ends.

Never bothered doing it besides the one time it was needed in the real estate game.

Any tips on fishing?? Spent like 10 minutes fishing with no avail. Only one fish went for the bait, but I pulled out too early. No luck ever since.

Pull on the rod right when any of the red line gets in the water. Don't wait for the entire thing to be submerged, I was making that mistake for a while.

Riposte

Wooow, first hand I played of Oicho-Kabu and the Banker gets 10-10-1...

The cpu fucking cheats in Oicho-Kabu and I won't believe otherwise. I had a run where I would get complete garbage cards when I was banker and then get a 9 as a player only for the banker to get a 9.

Well I beat it last night and couldn't post anything up since it was like 12:15 am and I had work in the morning. From all the fights to all the crazy stuff that happened in the last few chapters, it was a great ride and a really nice finale that honestly made me tear up a bit at the ending scene before the credits....truly. Really sucked that you couldn't record anything from it though since there were soooo many cool moments through the long chapter. Yakuza 0 was my #1 most anticipated game this year and it delivered big time!

Final Stats:
Play Time: 71:28
Completion: 46.26%
Total Money Earned: ¥4,680,907,076,709 (yes...4.6 Trillion)
Worth 133x ¥35,000,000,000 Baseball Stadium

Like one poster said a few pages earlier and a warning to anybody who think they are close to the end game(it will basically tell you) and is about to start Chapter
, make sure you have 2-3 hours available since there's gonna be A LOT of cut scenes and fights since it's basically the end game. I started it at like 9pm and didn't finish till after 12am so yeah....just a warning for those who don't have a lot of time. Pardon all the bad grammar....I hate writing paragraphs lol.

Final Chapter Spoilers:
Fights:
Holy shit why is this series so epic, especially in it's finales?! All the fights were great from Awano, Lao Gui and Shibusawa....just amazing. Majima fighting Awano was a surprise since I thought Kazzy was gonna be the one who fights him but it makes sense since Majima was the one going after the Dojima Clan. Lao Gui was interesting doing all these crazy SF Vega wall attacks and I loved the place where they fought after they break through the doors. Though I do kinda wished his fight was a bit longer though since he was the last boss for Majima....oh well I guess. As for Shibusawa, It was really awesome to see him switch styles and every time he changed, I switched respective styles along with him just to show him who's boss. Loved that it took place one multiple levels and doing all those QTE was fun. Also something funny is that every Yakuza ends with 2 tattooed guys fighting and it's ALWAYS SO GOOOOOOD!! It just never gets old for some reason and I can always count on it being a blast to play and watch. Keep doing what you do Yakuza. ;D.

Story:
The intro was nice but it made me wonder how the hell did Sera's group miss so many shots when they ambushed Shibusawa's crew who were raiding the boat? Y'all had the high ground advantage and y'all just f'ed it up! Kashiwagi's crew came outta nowhere and for some stupid reason, I thought it was the homeless guys along with Little Asia coming to help lol. On the Majima front, I kinda expected a bit more since he was going a bit loony towards the end but not exactly his future crazy self yet(until after the credits). Him getting revenge on those punks was a nice step into his crazier future self though. As for him and Segawa, I disliked the character but I can see where Majima is coming from in terms of respecting him as a person. Dude was on a leash himself since he didn't want to mess up his relationship with Shimano since they are sworn brothers. Still though, f that guy.......though it was pretty messed up that the Omi Alliance killed him soon after because of what Shimano did just before that. Sworn brother my ass huh Shimano :p? Also when Kazzy is about to deliver the final killing blow but getting stopped by Nishiki, it kinda made me laugh a bit. I mean not too long ago, I was shooting mofo's on the highway in the head who were chasing me on motorcycles, cars and a freakin' Helicopter. Guess it doesn't count since there are countless amounts of Heat moves being inflicted upon enemies that could kill them and then they seem just fine afterwards.

Ending:
When Kazzy and Nishiki was at the bar, I was like "hell yeah, he's finally getting his classic grey suit and red shirt!". I already know what's next for them story line wise and shall wait for that. I'm not gonna say much about them since there's people who probably finished 0 and have not played 1 yet.....Kiwami here we come? As for Majima, that final shot with Majima walking away from Makoto while she looks at him hit me pretty hard since I already knew that they couldn't change anything......:(. When I was watching the trailers months before, I thought for sure that Makoto was gonna die and that's what made Majima the "Mad Dog of Shimano" later on. That didn't happen but still it was a really REALLY bitter sweet ending that really pulled at my heartstrings since they couldn't be together at the end. It was just painful to watch Majima and Makoto finally see each other but not really "see" each other ya know? She finally gets her vision back and the man in front of her is just a stranger....not the man who've been with her throughout this whole crazy ordeal. What's worst is that Majima didn't speak to her since it would've gave him away and he didn't want that. Alongside that, it probably killed him that his lackeys were the ones who were messing with Makoto and her nurse friend. He knew damn well that he couldn't be with her since he's back in the Yakuza again and he wouldn't want to get her involved with anything horrible anymore after all that she's been through. Majima basically let the one woman he loved go free and be with another man but he made damn sure to know if that guy really loved her. One thing that kinda irked me though was that how she forgot that he had one eye. In an earlier chapter, he specifically said that they were similar in which both of them lost their visions in different ways but she seemed to have forgotten that one very important detail. I was hoping that she'd realize it by the time he walked out of the frame but it didn't happen......I think it was for the better though. The ending song made it worse since it gave me more feels after watching what just happened. After the long credits when you see Makoto again in the Empty Lot, you find out that she never even gotten to know his name.....talk about a punch in the friggin' guts yo. All of sudden, you hear a music box playing in the ground....it's her watch that he kept with him all along, all fixed up, buried in a cloth and left for her to find as his last farewell. Fuuuuuuuuckkkkk. Majima, you are a true boss and it elevated my love for the character even more since it added some nice depth to the character that I'd never thought I'd see. This didn't feel like a video game any more.....it felt like I just watched one epic crime drama movie. Yeah I could say the same for the whole series but man, this game especially hit me harder with the feels than the others for some reason. It's probably cheesy for some people but it made the characters feel alive and I absolutely loved that. After all the sad parts are through and done, you finally get to see the 2 protagonists meet. Older fans will notice the song "Receive You" from the first Yakuza game! "Yoo...........KIRYU CHAN!!!"......yep, there's the good ol' crazy Majima we all know.

All in all, I can finally say that Yakuza 0 is now one of my favorite games of all time. I mean it's not the greatest game ever and has plenty of flaws but man did it have a ton of heart. Awhile ago, I didn't think it could be up there with Yakuza 2 but I will gladly say that it's pretty much tied as two of the best in the series (imo). Now I'm just hoping to see how well it did in sales because I never expected to see this much newcomers to the series who are enjoying the game. As a longtime Yakuza fan, it warms my heart to see this thread constantly on the 1st page and I'm sure other older Yakuza fans feel the same way. The loyal fans who kept promoting the game with so many different threads these past months are freakin' heroes imo. As I've said before, I really do want to see Ishin localized next year after 6 if Yakuza 0 and Kiwami does well enough. The series is finally getting the recognition it deserves and I want to keep seeing that grow more and more! Hope to see more impressions on the ending from everybody else as I've read through many of them in the past pages for almost this whole day. :)

Top Bottom