• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Rizzi

Does the Mr. Shakedown quest have an eventual end, or just them complaining I took their money/wanting to go to space?

SephLuis

Well I just beat chapter 14.
I'm a bit sad now. That's twice I've cried at this. The first was Nishiki trying to kill Kiryu.

Yakuza 0 is honestly shaping up to be my favourite of the series. I kinda stopped doing the cabaret czar and real estate because I would be stuck doing those for hours, I've already got 55+ hours of playtime.

There's one small thing that I'm actually confused about and want some clarification (spoilers up to chapter 14 I guess)
So Oda sold Makoto into a sex trade. When exactly? Because she appeared on TV what I presumed was after she arrived in Japan? And so how would have that worked? Honestly I was fine with that but seeing her on TV and Tachibana going "that's my sister" made me really confused on the timeline of those events.

About the spoiler:

It will make more sense if we go through all events that led to that situation:

Tachibana lives in China with his mother and his sister
He joins the chinese mafia and abandons his family
He ends up in Japan
His mother passes away, which makes Makoto to go to Japan seeking her brother.
Oda tricks her and sells her to the Korean mafia.
Oda and Tachibana meet and eventually see the video of his mother and sister
Tachibana goes to Tokyo to search for Makoto
Makoto is recued by Lin and they end up in Osaka

That news, IIRC, must have been old footage of his family that was broadcasting on chinese news. Because by that time, Oda already sold Makoto and his mother should be already dead.

Tailzo

I've been a Yakuza fan since the first game. I even imported two RGG games from Japan.

Yakuza 0 now the game in the series I've enjoyed the most out of all of them.

It's an incredible game!

I've lost 50 times to Ogita and Isobe combined and wasted like 3 hours.

I feel your pain bro...although I beat Isobe first time (hooray for playing songs on easy mode). I'm pretty sure I spent a ton of time on Ogita though. That asshole takes a ton more steps than anyone else I encountered. I only won when he messed up his disco fever twice. Pure luck. =(

WHAT? Oh my god, how long has this been a thing? That's a straight up gamechanger.

In this series? For as long as I can remember lol...although the lull between me playing Yakuza 2 and 3 makes me wonder if it was in the PS2 ones or not.

Cody_D165

Banned
Just ordered this game! I've never played this series and I honestly don't know how I've avoided it for this long as both a massive fan of Sega and beatemups.

Everything I've seen about Yakuza 0 seems right up my alley so I am incredibly excited to get my hands on it in the next few days.

this thread is almost 120 pages! i wonder where are the sales numbers on how it did in the US? i hope it did well =)

Me too. If it sells well, SEGA might hurry the ____ up with localizing Yakuza 6.
I don't wanna wait until 2018, for the next entry.

As far as sales are concerned (EU, Germany), at least we can be sure Y0 does better than SEGA and Sony expected.
Picked up my copy on launch day without any problems or preorder, two days later a friend of mine had to get his and had trouble finding a copy in Berlin.

DJMicLuv

I was excited for the ability for infinite durability knuckles in rush mode, but it's only when you're on the first heat bar. It takes me like two punches to get to the second bar! Seems like kind of a shitty ability.

There's an item - it's got the word 'Calm' in the title, maybe 'Calming Towel' or something - that stops you ever reaching Heat mode. That'd balance it out.

Dominator

This game is really cool. Never played a Yakuza before, so i didn't quite know what to expect. The main story seems quite serious, but everything else in the world is not. I like that dichotomy a lot.

Shouta

Finished, 60 hours with 40% of the game done.

It's been ages since I've played Yakuza 1. I actually bought Yakuza 2 when I lived in Japan but the PS2 disc loader didn't work because of the DVD size so I never got around to playing it. This was a great refresher and getting to see all the characters I knew was awesome. The story itself was amazing as always and getting to see Majima like this was a real treat.

I might pick up with playing Yakuza 2 then move on now while I wait for Yakuza Kiwami's English release.

dreamfall

Ten hours into Chapter 2, just running around doing side missions.

God damn, it's rivaling 2 as my favorite game of the franchise thus far!

Miracle Johnson and all!

DC1

Ten hours into Chapter 2, just running around doing side missions.

God damn, it's rivaling 2 as my favorite game of the franchise thus far!

Miracle Johnson and all!

Y3 is still tops for me. Love all of them.. splitting hairs.

Rizzi

I completed the real estate quest.
Uh.. That sure is an unlock!
How the hell do I use the Dragon of Dojima stance properly? And why is its ability tree nothing but attack and health boosts? X_X

Rizzi

ZMVZD88.jpg

That chapter completion bonus compared to my business income.

I'm only in Chapter 2, how do you build a business? Can I do it at this point in the game?

I want to rake it in.
Chapter 5 (or maybe 6?) is when you gain access to Kiryu's business and chapter 7 is when you gain access to Majima's business.
How the hell do I use the Dragon of Dojima stance properly? And why is its ability tree nothing but attack and health boosts? X_X
The game doesn't really make it clear that
you already have all the abilities unlocked for that style and that upgrade grid for the style is infinite. Complete it once then you can rank up to the next level and it keeps going until level 99.

Press triangle while in the sphere grid screen to access abilities. Any abilities or heat moves with a white icon is for that move so look it up. It's a legacy style which Kiryu has had for all his games.

You've probably figured it out by now but Majima has something similar.

Press start then press square.

It's an upgrade tree for all stances and it can be leveled many times once completed

danowat

Banned
Talking of businesses, apart from wondering the streets and checking all properties, or using a guide online, is there a way to see ingame where the properties you can buy are?

Talking of businesses, apart from wondering the streets and checking all properties, or using a guide online, is there a way to see ingame where the properties you can buy are?

Nope, only the names. Not really a problem if you speak Japanese and can read the signs but since most of us don't, we can't tell which are which. A bit of an oversight IMO but not a dealbreaker.

JJShadow

I checked this and there is no way unfortunately, the only thing you can check in-game is the list of properties in each area and whether you own it or not, but not their location

EDIT: beaten so hard again, I must truly have a charismatic autobiography with me

I'm only in Chapter 2, how do you build a business? Can I do it at this point in the game?

I want to rake it in.

My personal suggestion:

All the good business stuff unlocks in Chapter
. You should really take your time and concentrate on the businesses (
Kiryu=Real Estate/ Majima= Cabaret Club
).

I was so invested in the story, that I just kept playing and playing and finished the game without doing the business quests. Went back to my last save game before the end game and got another 10-15h out of the business quests.
So my advice would be to do them first, so you can buy all those skills and power ups BEFORE the grand finale.

Nope. This is my biggest issue with the Real Estate quest. Because it makes no sense that some businesses are displayed on the map, while others aren't.
It's also kinda awkward to trigger the "LOOK" option next to a business, because there can be bikes parked in front of the door.
Ended up using guides, because those Areas are too big.

bwakh

First Yakuza game since 3 and it is such an amazing game. In chapter 2 right now. The story is compelling and substories often hilarious.

Seems like a perfect mix of jrpg tropes and a great narrative.

Cloukyo

Banned
Man, I kinda wish I didn't start with 0. I'm playing 4 and it feels like a real step back in terms of plot and side-quests.

Saejima's plot was mostly him running through sewers and collecting garbage. The cop was a very uninteresting character and his section played like a generic Hong Kong cop movie.

Thankfully Kiryu, Akiyama and Lily are keeping the game interesting.

Sub-stories are no-where near as funny as 0s either, but I feel this is partially due to localisation seeing as the writing for 0 was tongue in cheek (especially for Majima's sections).

kiaaa

Man, I kinda wish I didn't start with 0. I'm playing 4 and it feels like a real step back in terms of plot and side-quests.

Saejima's plot was mostly him running through sewers and collecting garbage. The cop was a very uninteresting character and his section played like a generic Hong Kong cop movie.

Thankfully Kiryu, Akiyama and Lily are keeping the game interesting.

Sub-stories are no-where near as funny as 0s either, but I feel this is partially due to localisation seeing as the writing for 0 was tongue in cheek (especially for Majima's sections).

0 also implements a lot of changes that make the game smoother. It still has some really obvious oversights ( why doesn't my health heal after coliseum fights), but the games have been improving over time.

Nice little bit of walking around money:

After struggling against Shakedown for way too long last night, I have to thank all the people who gave me suggestions in this thread because I'm now a Mr Shakedown Takedown machine. I pumped a few billion into Brawler, specifically the upgrades that prevent you from getting knocked down and that raise your Heat move damage when you're drunk (as well as the health and power upgrades), and it's almost too easy. Buy a Super Spicy Knife, go into the fight with full Heat and you've won, basically. The first gut stab with the knife takes like three full health bars off him alone.

Vorheez

This might be my favorite game of all time :/

I looked up Yakuza 6 and I almost fell over. I can't contain my excitement.

Top Bottom