• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
nishitani and god hand are amazing.

the fucking best two supporting character in the entire series.

I want them as spin off main characters now.

Fucking hell. They are so amazingly awesome

Now that I unlocked the
Dragon of Dojima style
i should try again. I haven't been able to beat him at level 4.

With Majima, you can cheese him out. Build up heat with the slugger style, use your heat slugger action. Then switch to the thug style and land four ground attacks which then allows you to do your ground heat. Consume the item that refills your heat. Switch back to slugger. Rinse and repeat.

Desmond

All of them were pretty easy for me, managed to get all of them done fairly quick, but for the couple that did take longer (baseball and bowling) I really enjoyed the challenges in each mini game. I just cheesed Cat Fighting by saving directly before starting it, betting the max amount possible, then if I won I'd clear all the CP challenges at once, if I lost I just reloaded my save and nothing was lost.

I'm in Premium Adventure, and I have been wondering, can I only save by creating a new cleared data save? I was too scared to simply save at the phone box outside the CF Arena.

How you did the gambling games quick I have no idea. Blackjack and Poker were easy (and fun), but Roulette and the games with the homeless guys are so tedious.

Finished it last night. Unfortunately I'm stuck on mobile so I can't say much, but not only it became my favorite Yakuza game but it also became one of my top 5 games of all time.

An absolutely incredible title. As a long time Yakuza fan, I knew certain things wouldn't happen, but the ending was still playing with my emotions.

Now back to finishing substories and getting closer to that plat trophy.

Kyrios

I feel bad for Gravity Rush 2. My progress in that game has seriously dropped off a cliff since starting Yakuza 0 lol

Finished it last night. Unfortunately I'm stuck on mobile so I can't say much, but not only it became my favorite Yakuza game but it also became one of my top 5 games of all time.

An absolutely incredible title. As a long time Yakuza fan, I knew certain things wouldn't happen, but the ending was still playing with my emotions.

Now back to finishing substories and getting closer to that plat trophy.

awesome! love to hear your thoughts on the ending later =)

Fucking FINALLY .. Moon club battle was absolute HORSESHIT. Their bar starts filling extremely quick as soon as the fight starts and their special attack kicks out 4 guests at once .. absolute horseshit.

Also, the 'fade out' when you unlock both K and M's Yakuza 1 fighting stances are absolutely amazing.

Spoilers.

I'm in Premium Adventure, and I have been wondering, can I only save by creating a new cleared data save? I was too scared to simply save at the phone box outside the CF Arena.

How you did the gambling games quick I have no idea. Blackjack and Poker were easy (and fun), but Roulette and the games with the homeless guys are so tedious.

You can create Premium Adventure saves, but you can't carry anything forward you unlock in Premium Adventure to a new game I believe. You can only use you cleared save game file for Premium New Game (I think they started doing this in either 5 or Ishin, which was annoying as I grinded the crap out of Ishin to get Amons sword to full strength in Adventure mode then couldn't carry it forward! (always keep separate clear save files for this reason!)

As for gambling - its easiest and quickest to play a single hand of whatever your playing. So for the Japanese gambling do one round of whatever and if you win money, you quit. This adds to your winning score, while sticking with a losing game won't (as you'd need to make up the defisit and then win more money on top of that. It'd take far longer and its all down to luck on a few of these games).

For Roulette, mix up your bets and choose a few different high payout options rather than just doing red/black. Again its based on luck, and only play one round and then quit either way but you should clear these pretty quick (or I was insanely lucky!). Funnily enough it was probably Poker that screwed me over the most, try as I might I just can't get the hands down properly, every time I feel I have a good hand the AI always got something better or ignored my hand completely for some bizarre reason.

A little something fun for folks that came with the Japanese preorder booklet. They actually had a little article on hostess etiquette and hand signs. Thought it was kind of neat. Also yay first post ever.

WP_20150316_17_14_38_Pro.jpg

Desmond

You can create Premium Adventure saves, but you can't carry anything forward you unlock in Premium Adventure to a new game I believe. You can only use you cleared save game file for Premium New Game (I think they started doing this in either 5 or Ishin, which was annoying as I grinded the crap out of Ishin to get Amons sword to full strength in Adventure mode then couldn't carry it forward! (always keep separate clear save files for this reason!)

As for gambling - its easiest and quickest to play a single hand of whatever your playing. So for the Japanese gambling do one round of whatever and if you win money, you quit. This adds to your winning score, while sticking with a losing game won't (as you'd need to make up the defisit and then win more money on top of that. It'd take far longer and its all down to luck on a few of these games).

For Roulette, mix up your bets and choose a few different high payout options rather than just doing red/black. Again its based on luck, and only play one round and then quit either way but you should clear these pretty quick (or I was insanely lucky!). Funnily enough it was probably Poker that screwed me over the most, try as I might I just can't get the hands down properly, every time I feel I have a good hand the AI always got something better or ignored my hand completely for some bizarre reason.

That's how I've been handling Roulette thus far.

So just to confirm, I can save by using phone boxes in Premium Adventure, instead of only the one in Kiryu/Majima's office?

The next play through I'll be doing will be legend difficulty so I don't need a new clear data save I guess.

JJShadow

So I'm in the end of Chapter 10 and
I'm about to leave Kamurocho with Kiryu and head to Sotenbori. Will I be able to come back later before the end of the game? Should I bring huge amounts of money or any essencial item before leaving?

xezuru

So I'm in the end of Chapter 10 and
I'm about to leave Kamurocho with Kiryu and head to Sotenbori. Will I be able to come back later before the end of the game? Should I bring huge amounts of money or any essencial item before leaving?

You'll be able to go back, there's a definitive point of no return that you'll know.

Teb-Tengri

Neo Member
Just got to
"A Taxing Issue"
Majima's substory and had me cracking up in bursts when I selected
"Sato-san"
as an answer :)

SkylineRKR

So with the hostess training, Hibiki,

She talks about video games and I thought i'm going to be cool so I mention I know the Megadrive. But its a wrong answer! She says its too new still, and the other one is more popular. Did she mean the master system, or in fact the Famicom since they don't mention it by name?

And then Majima says something like 'the Megadrive will be a Genesis' or something.

Fucking awesome.

A little something fun for folks that came with the Japanese preorder booklet. They actually had a little article on hostess etiquette and hand signs. Thought it was kind of neat. Also yay first post ever.

Oh those handsigns, you will learn them. They've become muscle memory. Beat that whole activity. I might put down my thumb and pinky finger when I want to order ice next time.

Desmond

So with the hostess training, Hibiki,

She talks about video games and I thought i'm going to be cool so I mention I know the Megadrive. But its a wrong answer! She says its too new still, and the other one is more popular. Did she mean the master system, or in fact the Famicom since they don't mention it by name?

And then Majima says something like 'the Megadrive will be a Genesis' or something.

Fucking awesome.

Oh those handsigns, you will learn them. They've become muscle memory. Beat that whole activity. I might put down my thumb and pinky finger when I want to order ice next time.

The Megadrive was released in 1988? :p

That's how I've been handling Roulette thus far.

So just to confirm, I can save by using phone boxes in Premium Adventure, instead of only the one in Kiryu/Majima's office?

The next play through I'll be doing will be legend difficulty so I don't need a new clear data save I guess.

Yeah, you can use any save you want. I'd just advise to create a brand new save file as opposed to overwriting any existing clear save file you have just to be on the safe side and you'll be fine.

Fjordson

Some of these stumped me when I first started the Cabaret stuff on Majima lol. Like the refill ice one. I'm like "what, you want a phone??"

Now that I have the hang of it, that shit is addictive. Way better than the Real Estate game for Kiryu tbh.

Desmond

Yeah, you can use any save you want. I'd just advise to create a brand new save file as opposed to overwriting any existing clear save file you have just to be on the safe side and you'll be fine.

I've been making clear saves and booting myself back to the main menu needlessly haha

Protip for the batting cages... Don't pay attention to the pitch at all really. Aim the target where you want to hit the ball, then just pay attention to the characters stance. When his animation starts to ease down, that's when you wanna press the button. You will hit the ball every time.
i'll give that a try thanks :)

mileS

Got a quick question on the substories. How often do your choices you make during them effect the award at the end? Just wondering if its possible to miss out on any useful items because of this. I've noticed my reward changed on the last substory I did when I went back and answered the questions differently. Both rewards were crating mats. Something I still have no idea about. Just starting to get more mats now.

Frimaire

Why does she have a soldering iron in one of those pictures?

IrishNinja

so, still in chapter 6 - working on media king!

still have disco substories (man, fuck disco) and the 3rd one for the punchy guy in the parking lot - anyone have any advice? i don't know when to dash away and went to just hold L, guy keeps hitting me from the side and its frustrating

haha ive been farming dude lately so i get the opposite, keep trying to start shit and some scrubs chasing me catch up first

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Nah, once you level up a bit they're piss easy to beat, hell I was farming them like crazy in the first Majima chapter to gain TONS of extra yen. You just need to get real familiar with the dodge button.

Desmond

still have disco substories (man, fuck disco) and the 3rd one for the punchy guy in the parking lot - anyone have any advice? i don't know when to dash away and went to just hold L, guy keeps hitting me from the side and its frustrating

haha ive been farming dude lately so i get the opposite, keep trying to start shit and some scrubs chasing me catch up first

I just ran in circles.

Laws00

I wish sega made a cat fight type wrestling/fighting game.

Lord I would be so into that but in todays environment the game would get so much heat.

XaosWolf

FUCK Kamoji and his bullshit Rush training.

Its already some bullshit that the weaving DOESN'T FUCKING WORK against certain attacks (the katana stab breaks it every time) but having to sit through the same unskippable chatter EVERY time has made me just give up.

Fuck Rush style and its shitty poor camera tiny area one hit wonder bullshit.

At least Tatsu's training was just tedious.

Venting over.
Don't feel any better though

EDIT: And done. The anger definitely helped. >=|

JJShadow

I don't remember if it's an ability you have to unlock, but if you press R1 + X two or three times quickly you dash away from him twice or thrice in a row, enough to avoid his whole combo

Peroroncino

FUCK Kamoji and his bullshit Rush training.

Its already some bullshit that the weaving DOESN'T FUCKING WORK against certain attacks (the katana stab breaks it every time) but having to sit through the same unskippable chatter EVERY time has made me just give up.

Fuck Rush style and its shitty poor camera tiny area one hit wonder bullshit.

At least Tatsu's training was just tedious.

Venting over.
Don't feel any better though

EDIT: And done. The anger definitely helped. >=|

Don't ever use weaving, too unreliable for training sessions, just run around like a beheaded chicken, spam X and you should be good for future lessons.

XaosWolf

Considering I've just finished that god awful training I can help.

For the 3rd guy (heavy but quick guy) just stand in a corner, face him and then hold block.
He can try and get behind you but will fail and Kiryu will auto turn to block his attacks.

4th guy though...
Don't even try and weave. He can apparently stab straight through it for an easy win. Instead just run away from him and circle round him with your dodges.

His quick slashes don't seem to immediately knock you down so there is some hope in getting hit.

Final guy...
lol

Don't ever use weaving, too unreliable for training sessions, just run around like a beheaded chicken, spam X and you should be good for future lessons.

I'm done now. And never want to do it again. Or Beast training either.

jamsy

Just started playing last night.

So I get to the first real fighting part - where you
go to the HQ to quit the yakuza
and it seems kinda tough? I mean, I didn't max out my yen on skills or anything and I didn't bring any items since the game was very easy to this point. But it seems that the game doesn't give you many healing items in a "dungeon."

Any tips? Should I just load up on healing items from the store?

jrcbandit

Just started playing last night.

So I get to the first real fighting part - where you
go to the HQ to quit the yakuza
and it seems kinda tough? I mean, I didn't max out my yen on skills or anything and I didn't bring any items since the game was very easy to this point. But it seems that the game doesn't give you many healing items in a "dungeon."

Any tips? Should I just load up on healing items from the store?

Yes, just load up on healing items for the early "dungeons". You wont need to use much healing when you unlock later abilities/fighting styles, although using items to give Heat can make the battles go much quicker. I just load up on Stamina Royales later in the game since the cost is negligible.

I just finished that first boss fight yesterday. I had to use some stamina pots. I didn't buy any and I just used the ones that I picked up along the way. It was a challenging fight for sure, as I'm still not technically competent with the game mechanics.

I'm using the Rush style - so which one is the dodge button? X or L1? How and when do I use them? Does dodge button changes with different fight stance?

I just finished that first boss fight yesterday. I had to use some stamina pots. I didn't buy any and I just used the ones that I picked up along the way. It was a challenging fight for sure, as I'm still not technically competent with the game mechanics.

I'm using the Rush style - so which one is the dodge button? X or L1? How and when do I use them? Does dodge button changes with different fight stance?

The dodge button is universally X. L1 is the block button.

Rush style is unique as when you press L1, there's a brief period of invulnerability that allows you to dodge pretty much any attack so it's great for players with good reflexes or one-on-one fights against slower attacks. I recommend you just use X to dodge though. Just aim at a direction with the left analog stick and press x to dodge in that direction.

Brawler style has a standard block mode, and Beast mode doesn't block but rather just takes a stance that absorbs any attack thrown at you, but you have increased defense during that stance.

Top Bottom