• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

I haven't played 0 yet, but while I like 5 I think a focused approach works much better.

2 characters sounds just about right.

Yeah, even the split story in Y0 is a bit much for me sometimes; I think in part because some of the switches happen after very dramatic moments. I couldn't imagine keeping track of and being invested in five different protagonist stories. Then again, a show like Game of Thrones does this all the time, but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much there.

One thing I have trouble with is remembering which fighting skills go with which character/style. I'll be doing a combo and try to work in a skill and then realize that was the other guy.

MYeager

Yeah, that's actually a good thing to do now. If anyone has abandoned side-stuff in Yakuza 5 in order to avoid feeling burnt out of series, this gap between Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami release, would be a good time to go back and finish up the side-stuff in that game.

Bar hunting (which I really didn't care for), the side stuff in Yakuza 5 are all pretty fun.

[Late-ish game spoilers]
I think that's something that he just copies from Nishitani. I believe that character (and his death) had a very big impact on Majima.

I loved the hunting.

Yakuza 5 was insanely ambitious in terms of content, absurd in terms of plot, and uneven when it came to progression of the story. Still had some of my favorite side missions and some really emotional moments regardless.

Catfight is the shittiest mini-game that I've played in my entire life. I press the button so hard that my hand even hurts and yet the other fighter almost always comes out on top. I haven't one a single tournament in this mini-game.
I haven't played 0 yet, but while I like 5 I think a focused approach works much better.

2 characters sounds just about right.
It really was the right choice. I'm glad that they decided to cut back on playable characters cause the focus in Y0 really helps the over plot and story.
Yeah, even the split story in Y0 is a bit much for me sometimes; I think in part because some of the switches happen after very dramatic moments. I couldn't imagine keeping track of and being invested in five different protagonist stories. Then again, a show like Game of Thrones does this all the time, but for some reason it doesn't bother me as much there.

One thing I have trouble with is remembering which fighting skills go with which character/style. I'll be doing a combo and try to work in a skill and then realize that was the other guy.
They actually managed to handle the 4 protag thing pretty good in Yakuza 4. But with Yakuza 5 they just tried to many things and that eventually hurt the focus of the game.

This patch isn't gonna screw up my Boost mode is it?
The patch just adds new free contents to the game.

I loved the hunting.

Yakuza 5 was insanely ambitious in terms of content, absurd in terms of plot, and uneven when it came to progression of the story. Still had some of my favorite side missions and some really emotional moments regardless.
Yeah, Yakuza 5 is definitely a very fun game. It's just that in terms of entries in the series, it was one of my least favorite ones due to the lack of focus in the most parts.

But yeah, how does that saying goes? "Yakuza at its worst, is better than most games." And that's completely true for Yakuza 5.

Menitta

Hey guys, what's this substory I'm supposed to do in order to progress with the gambling King?

I don't think it's absolutely mandatory to complete in order to progress, but the substory involved with Gambling King is the bowling alley friendship. That's where you have to get the turkey.

Edit: oh, that. Nvm then.

Frimaire

Hey guys, what's this substory I'm supposed to do in order to progress with the gambling King?

You need to do the substory that opens up the cat fighting minigame.
If the story is telling you to go check out the empty lot, do that and you'll be forced into the intro to the substory.

Vorheez

I don't think it's absolutely mandatory to complete in order to progress, but the substory involved with Gambling King is the bowling alley friendship. That's where you have to get the turkey.

You need to do the substory that opens up the cat fighting minigame.
If the story is telling you to go check out the empty lot, do that and you'll be forced into the intro to the substory.
Perfect, thanks. Empty Lot is the next thing on the to do list so I will go to that.

Edgeward

Has anyone beaten
Miracle Johnson
in Maharaja? I feel like it's impossible to win. I got 5.5k and he fucking doubled it.

Also does getting non-optimal endings to subquests affect getting trophies? I lost in the final rush training lesson
cause the motherfucker had a gun.
but it still took me to the next fight and then I still got the technique.

Has anyone beaten
Miracle Johnson
in Maharaja? I feel like it's impossible to win. I got 5.5k and he fucking doubled it.

Also does getting non-optimal endings to subquests affect getting trophies? I lost in the final rush training lesson
You're supposed to
lose both.

You might ba able to win the rush fight but the game doesn't expect you to.

And no it doesn't affect substories.

xclk07

Club Sunshine has done it!!!! Now that I'm finished with this and real estate, I might... gasp... play the main story for a bit? You mean to tell me there is another part of this game where I'm NOT trying to create the wealthiest men in Japan?

Edgeward

You're supposed to
lose both.

Cool. Cause I know it did in older games like 3 and that drove me up the wall when I found out after beating it.

Finally finished, boy do I feel slow: ~122 Hours, 77.76% complete. I did a bunch of stuf (All properties at S Rank, all Platinum Hostesses at Max) maybe longer than it should have taken me.

Nevertheless, probably my 3rd favorite game and that's nothing to scoff at since I always hold the first two games at the highest regard. Loved it, thought the story was great (even if it slightly aped off the first game a bit), loved the references even the minor ones. Could have been less grindy, but whateves.

Couple of things about the story:
-Good to know that Dojima was an awful prick, so when Nishiki capped him, he had it coming for a loooong time.
-Seeing Kiryu and Nishiki's friendship play out was great, it adds to his character.
-Boy, Kiryu is 0-2 in reuniting siblings, huh?
-speaking of which, I know people mention the Park thing from 5, but why wasn't Lily mentioned...AT ALL? you know, this was kind of an important thing to Majima since he makes it a point in 4.
-man, Majima really got the short end of it at the end, didn't he? I also thought he was broken when Shimano told him that he planned for him to fall in love with Makoto. But it was painful when I realized that towards the end, Makoto never knew his name.
-Sucked that Sawaga had to bite it, I came around him towards the end, he'll never top Takasugi from 5, but he had his moments and that's life in the yakuza. Also, sad about Nishitani since you learn about his relationship with that crooked cop.
-oh and Oda maaaan...all these twists.
-Kind of wish Yumi made an appearance, would've been nice...or since Majima was in Sotenbori, Kaoru (keep wanting to forget she existed, huh SEGA?).
-Daigo in those clothes...I can't hahahahaha...
-Points for having Eric Kelso (Jacky Bryant from VF) as the Mafia dude and that arcade from Shenmue show up.

Also, Fuck those
Amon fights, Kiryu's in particular with that stupid stun kill move with the cannon. Majima's was surprisingly easy after figuring the trick the third time.

Other nitpicks, what the hell was up with
Lao Gui's voice changing to the Sam Lee version during the boss fight?
and did anyone feel that the localization was a bit...inconsistent compared to past games 2-onward? like the use of honorifics kind of irked me since the series in past has done a good job of not utilizing them so much, plus other things that don't feel quite right. It's not bad or a deal breaking, just weird.

Oh...and I haaaaaaaated the Disco mini-game, or I would like it better if I didn't suck at it.

You're supposed to
lose both.

It's funnier and more satisfying if you win the final rush train session.

Other newcomers to the series might want to be a bit careful about what spoilers they hover over.

Man, the story in this game was huge, can't imagine how they sustain that much drama over another 6!

JJShadow

Disco minigame is maybe one of my favourites in this game (along with the Pocket Racing), yesterday I managed to beat Ogita in my first try: 6560 vs 6120, suck that!

Has anyone beaten
Miracle Johnson

In fact, he even gets his own special ranking in the results screen:
King of pop

Rizzi

Other newcomers to the series might want to be a bit careful about what spoilers they hover over.

Man, the story in this game was huge, can't imagine how they sustain that much drama over another 6!

The story for the Yakuza games is basically a soap opera. It's great.

Fhtagn

So what are the odds we get Yakuza 2 as a PS2 on PS4 title? Gotta be cheaper & faster than doing a remake, right? I actually played Yakuza 1 halfway through twice back when it came out and I've bought 2,3,4, and 5 over the years intending to finally play them all in order so 0 was a great time to jump back in and I'll play the original PS2 version of 2 on a PS2 if I have to but I'd day one a remake or port.

Are we expecting a Yakuza 7 announcement this year or is the series slowing down?

Tonight I discovered I am great at darts and hopeless at batting. The batting minigame is really frustrating at first because foul hits count as strikes and the time to get back to batting after a loss is so long that it's easy to spend more time reloading than swinging, especially on higher challenges.

Also, sheesh, Fantasy Zone is frustrating at first. Not being able to stop in place to fire at something and inching forward into death suuuucks. However by the time I scored enough points to get the CP, I warmed up to the game and I'm might go back and try to get further in. Space Harrier remains the biggest revelation for me, I've never quite clicked with it as much before but now I love it. Such an intense sensation of speed.

I do wish there were another four arcade games to unlock... Shinobi would be my main pick. Looking forward to Virtua Fighter 5!

Finally got these sucker at Moon Club.

I need to finish special training now for the last hostess...

also, I finally got all the telephone cards and I though they unlock tapes but I still miss a dozen tapes, no idea where to get them

Oh, boy I'm at the final chapter, 117 hours in and with 99.23% completion progress
So close...
I still need to find 70 different gears and 100 different weapons.After that, the end.
Although i finished all the Yakuza that came out in the west except dead souls it will be the first game that I will achieve 100% completion, so I'm looking forward to that xD!!
Those
Amon
fights were no joke thought they reminded me some of the ridiculous kingdom hearts secret boss fights that the enemy has a dozen of health bars and does flashy combos that drain all of your health xD

Rymuth

Are we expecting a Yakuza 7 announcement this year or is the series slowing down?
6 is the end of Kiryu's story. Calling it 7 seems very unlikely. Nagoshi mentioned talks of where the series would go from here. It's not a decision to be taken likely.

Nagoshi said:
“This year we released Yakuza 6: The Song of Life and achieved a milestone for the Yakuza series. I think that there are pros and cons to the end of the story of Kazuma Kiryu, who served as the protagonist for more than 10 years. Be that as it may, I will work hard to create content that both myself and my staff can enjoy. I also think that’s a way to give back to Kazuma Kiryu. Sooner or later, I want to announce something different. Please look forward to it.”

My take: Series will continue under a new name. Possibly 'Like a Tiger' as opposed to 'Like a Dragon'

So what are the odds we get Yakuza 2 as a PS2 on PS4 title? Gotta be cheaper & faster than doing a remake, right? I actually played Yakuza 1 halfway through twice back when it came out and I've bought 2,3,4, and 5 over the years intending to finally play them all in order so 0 was a great time to jump back in and I'll play the original PS2 version of 2 on a PS2 if I have to but I'd day one a remake or port.

A PS2-on-PS4 version of Yakuza 2 won't sell 500k-ish copies in Japan/Asia.
Kiwami has been a sales success that it's likelier than not we'd see a Y2 Kiwami.

A Kiwami version of 3/4/5 is what's less likely. Those games are already basically at Kiwami levels of production value and it'd be less desirable if the improvement from OG-to-Kiwami isn't that big of a leap.

Y6 was sold as the end of Kiryu's story, so I highly doubt they'd go head-first into another new flagship game with a new protag so soon.

My guess is we'll see Kiwami 2 or another fuedal Japan game this year which will be led by a new face in the team while Nagoshi works on a new IP.

Cloukyo

Banned
A PS2-on-PS4 version of Yakuza 2 won't sell 500k-ish copies in Japan/Asia.
Kiwami has been a sales success that it's likelier than not we'd see a Y2 Kiwami.

A Kiwami version of 3/4/5 is what's less likely. Those games are already basically at Kiwami levels of production value and it'd be less desirable if the improvement from OG-to-Kiwami isn't that big of a leap.

Y6 was sold as the end of Kiryu's story, so I highly doubt they'd go head-first into another new flagship game with a new protag so soon.

My guess is we'll see Kiwami 2 or another fuedal Japan game this year which will be led by a new face in the team while Nagoshi works on a new IP.

Surely an HD ps4 release of 3/4/5 would be pretty easy to do though? Looks like it uses the same engine as Y0.

Harmen

They gotta re record all the VA (they did this for kiwami). They add content as well. Not "easy" at all.

Huh, why do they have to do that? They did this for Kiwami because it is a full on remake I thought. Yakuza 3-5 are last gen titles running on the same engine as the pre-6 ps4 titles.

I wouldn't call it easy though. The PS3 architecture is very different.

Cloukyo

Banned
They gotta re record all the VA (they did this for kiwami). They add content as well. Not "easy" at all.

Well, perhaps not easy, but not the same as a full on remake. Just a rerelease but with a higher frame rate and in HD. Like how the first two Yakuza games had re-releases on the PS3 and Wii U (in japan). No need to change assets or anything.

Kain

Man this game is such a timesink, I'm in chapter 8 and I've advanced in the main story nothing, NOTHING. But the cabaret business is booming so that's something.

8bit

Knows the Score
Mopping up the substories, the interviewees are pure evil.
What sort of sick bastard kicks a puppy?

Enjoyed how ridiculously hammy the
Miracle Johnson substory was (particularly the gift choice at the end...)
. It's such a shame only being able to dip in out due to time constraints - this is the kind of game I would have just sessioned all day when I was younger. First time in possibly years where I've genuinely felt disappointed that I've had to go out or whatever and not get to just sit and explore this game, it's fantastic. About 20 hours or so in now and only just unlocked the Real Estate element.

Just started competing against Gambling King and subsequently wasted an hour attempting to win that stupid
catfight
. Complete bullshit, now I have an even longer grind to get my share up to 90%. :(

Need more money for Majima. Can't really beat Shakedown as easily as him. :/

For Majima use Brawler style and constanlty be away from him until he charges towards you.When he does that quickly get behind him and do a square+triangle combo.Just those 2 buttons, don't press anything else and after that run away.
Rince & repeat until your heat gauge has at least 2 bars and then change to slugger style and use the triangle heat action on him.

That's the stategy I've been using with Majima at least.
You can also use environment objects and not your slugger style but they are not always present so.. :p

Rizzi

For Majima use Brawler style and constanlty be away from him until he charges towards you.When he does that quickly get behind him and do a square+triangle combo.Just those 2 buttons, don't press anything else and after that run away.
Rince & repeat until your heat gauge has at least 2 bars and then change to slugger style and use the triangle heat action on him.

That's the stategy I've been using with Majima at least.
You can also use environment objects and not your slugger style but they are not always present so.. :p

My strategy as Kiryu was to buy a knife, get drunk and stab him until he coughed up his billions of yen. X_X

black070

What am I supposed to be doing while the guy's clearing out the office in chapter 4 ? I've gone around and done a few side stories and activities but he still ain't done.

Though that said, it does feel like the game's tone wavers all over the place. You have the main plot which takes itself pretty seriously sharing space with a combat system that is almost comically brutal, sidequests that crank the silliness up to a billion
that fucking Magic Johnson sidequest takes the cake, though...
, and the cabaret minigame, which can only be called a blend of Diner Dash and pretty princess flash games. You can feel four completely different emotions in the space of ten minutes in this game, and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

that's one of the best things about the series in general

My strategy as Kiryu was to buy a knife, get drunk and stab him until he coughed up his billions of yen. X_X

Haha as Kiryu I just use the Rush style and a similar strategy.
Just a square+triangle combo until i have 2 bars of heat and there is a nice heat action
you can buy with the rush style that when the eney tries to hit if you press triangle at the right time you break his elbow xD

Btw has anyone found all the weapons and gear?I have 50 different for each.
How many hours did it take you?

Why are the mega rich guys in my cabaret club always angry?

Well you need to upgrade your girls first When they are low level they will always be angry or sad even if you have good stats.
If they are below 20 then they are too low to handle the mega rich guys

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why are the mega rich guys in my cabaret club always angry?

Because they're all shallow ? :p

Once you hit fever mode, it's an instant 'full happiness', even at low levels, just having 2 full happy mega rich people is enough to win you the caberet battles.

My strategy was to always have them locked with R1 and utilize the dodge a lot. Majima can dodge twice in the brawler state. Wait for him to rush you, dodge, hit a quick volley, dodge away so you don't get caught, rinse and repeat.

Once you get more familiar with it, you can sneak in more attacks in lesser time.

Mupod

I use Slugger in combination with weapons. I bought the skill that prevents durability loss when wielding a katana at low heat, and picked up a Sunburst. I think Kiryu gets one from DLC and afterwards Majima can buy one at the shop.

From there it's a simple matter to just wail on him, as he can't guard against blades and the katana moveset makes hitting him easy and safe. If your heat goes up too high or you need to chug a stamina royale, burn it on a crowbar heat move. There's one you can do when in the third heat bar that does HUGE damage.

And of course, shotguns completely obliterate him but that's boring and so easy it feels like cheating.

Just beat the final chapter. I think this is probably my favourite game in the series. Strong story, strong characters and it was nice to see Majima and Kiryu grow into their roles.

Random thoughts about the finale:
Lao Gui boss fight was actually amazing. But Majima's fighting styles in this game are really really strong making him kind of a joke. I managed to skip his entire sword phase because of breaker.
I'm trying to work out if I hated the Shibusawa's Dragon of Dojima bullshit. I can't tell if that was super on the nose or not. I'm sad Kuze didn't rush back in on a giant motorcycle to fight Kiryu on a burning sinking ship.
Awano was a cool guy.
Kiryu's love for his dumb suit kills me.
Actual sadness at Majima's ending cutscene with Makoto.

The only question I have after this
WHO IS MAJIMA'S WIFE THEN?!

Just beat the final chapter. I think this is probably my favourite game in the series. Strong story, strong characters and it was nice to see Majima and Kiryu grow into their roles.

Random thoughts about the finale:
Lao Gui boss fight was actually amazing. But Majima's fighting styles in this game are really really strong making him kind of a joke. I managed to skip his entire sword phase because of breaker.
I'm trying to work out if I hated the Shibusawa's Dragon of Dojima bullshit. I can't tell if that was super on the nose or not. I'm sad Kuze didn't rush back in on a giant motorcycle to fight Kiryu on a burning sinking ship.
Awano was a cool guy.
Kiryu's love for his dumb suit kills me.
Actual sadness at Majima's ending cutscene with Makoto.

Majima's
wife is a character from 5.

DC1

You didn't play Y5?

Ms Kanai Park is Majima's ex-wife. He loved her dearly but agreed to walk away from the marriage so that she could pursue her dream of becoming an idol...thats two broken hearts for our main man Majima.

Top Bottom