• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

LAM09

Great game and story but there's one thing that was a little disappointing.
Kazuma and Goro never met in the game. I thought we'd get some story showing how they met and how they kicked major ass together. I kept waiting for their paths to converge and sadly, it never happened. Outside of the little stinger of course. Oh and no Yumi!! I wanted to see Kaz, Nishiki, and Yumi together.

I expected the same thing. I was shocked that their only meeting was after the credits.

hbkdx12

I can't believe I went and got three stars on every song on every difficulty of each song for the disco mini-game. But it's so worth it to do it because of all the CP you rake in from it. Not to mention satisfying as hell, haha.

Heck, I originally didn't even like the mini-game but at some point during one of the substories for it I started to get it and it clicked. Soon enough, I got good enough to do Queen of Passion on Hard, three stars, and that pushed me to do all the others. Just nutty.
I still haven't even beat ogita. It's the only substory I have left. Screw that guy

I feel like 2 is the only one that they'd remake. 3,4 and 5 will get remasters at best, mainly because it's such a massive undertaking. 4 and 5 in particular. Plus Y2 is the only PS2 game left, while in Japan you have literally every mainline Yakuza game except 6 available on the PS3 including Kenzan and Ishin.

One thing to take into account here is that Y6 is the last game with Kiryu as the protagonist. Considering the name of the series is tied to the whole Dragon thing (Ryu ga Gotoku translates to something along the lines of "Like a Dragon") so they might cast a new protagonist or go for a completely new set of characters altogether.

Or they might change everything including the name.

The
rooftop
scene would be a thing of beauty.

2 is the only one to really benefit of a remake like Kiwami, it suffers from the constraints of the PS2 along with the design flaws of the first game (the overworld, load times, graphics, etc.). I truly want to see a remake because it is (in my opinion) the perfect follow up to the first game and expands on the world/characters.

The only other games that could benefit from such a remake would be the PSP titles.

Yes, Kiwami was done by a very small team and the majority of the funds and team went towards Y6 and the new engine/assets.

Not surprising since I've considered Kiwami basically "0 with paint coat of 1" based off observations.

I never felt just because
a character killed another that should mean they had to be killed off. But now that I think about it it seems to be a running rule in the series too... Which is totally strange considering we're talking about yakuzas here :p

I think from Yakuza 3
Joji Kazama is the only one to escape this strange killer = death fate.

I mean, yea, I can see what you mean as I sound kind of harsh on Lily when she's also a victim of Katsuragi and co.'s plot. She was sadly never written with a path of redemption or at least one making her live. To be fair though with Joji, he did kill some pretty awful people...he just made it too late when it mattered (plus can't have yet ANOTHER Kazama die on Kiryu).

Finished it, really amazing game. Unless some other title unexpectedly blows me away, I predict it is my game of the year.

Took me 50 hours. Did some of the fun sidequests and earned some money for some fun/useful combat upgrades but am not a competionist. I won't dive deep into the side material (maybe hostess with Majima because it is damn fun) because I will play two Yakuza games in the coming year and maybe 5 if I can buy a cheap PS3 somewhere (my PS3 died).

As for the story comlaint some have regarding Majima's
unconvincing change to his persona we know and love in the stories that follow, I think we need to realize that there is quite a gap in time still until the first Yakuza game. They definitely planted the seeds for him to become the "mad dog", but in my opinion the full on change is wisely kept it out of this story. Pulling of such a massive change is better imagined gradually in my opinion.

a lot can happen in 7 years...after all, Nishiki really went down a dark path in the first game after Kiryu went to jail and his sister died.

Great game and story but there's one thing that was a little disappointing.
Kazuma and Goro never met in the game. I thought we'd get some story showing how they met and how they kicked major ass together. I kept waiting for their paths to converge and sadly, it never happened. Outside of the little stinger of course. Oh and no Yumi!! I wanted to see Kaz, Nishiki, and Yumi together.

nah, I prefer it this way, even with the questionable stinger. This keeps the meeting in the first game intact. I will agree with the lack of Yumi was really odd, oh well...I guess the prequel movie still counts?

Man, how long is this game? I'm on chapter 6 and have almost 30 hours in the game. I just spent like 10 hours doing real estate stuff and unlocking abilities, these side quests are too damn addictive!

Man, the climax battles are so fun this time around. Did them up until the first Ultimate battle. Lost the last fight in that one by a hair and decided to call it a night for now.

As fun as these battles are, I know a few of them will make some people frustrated. For example I'm sure people will call the Millionaire Battle 2 bullshit, and for good reasons. I mean, who the hell thought that was a good idea!?

firelogic

nah, I prefer it this way, even with the questionable stinger. This keeps the meeting in the first game intact. I will agree with the lack of Yumi was really odd, oh well...I guess the prequel movie still counts?

I haven't watched any of the movies. Actually, I thought there was just 1 movie based in the first game. There was a prequel movie? I'll investigate further.

I was just thinking that it would have been cool to have the after credits scene end with (not a spoiler because it's what I wanted to see but I'll tag it anyway)
Majima and Kiryu laying next to each other in a tattoo parlor with Majima getting a touch-up while Kiryu is getting his filled in with color. No looks or words exchanged. OR Kiryu and Nishiki getting them filled in and the final shot is a side by side of their finished tattoos.

Ultimadrago

Man, the climax battles are so fun this time around. Did them up until the first Ultimate battle. Lost the last fight in that one by a hair and decided to call it a night for now.

As fun as these battles are, I know a few of them will make some people frustrated. For example I'm sure people will call the Millionaire Battle 2 bullshit, and for good reasons. I mean, who the hell thought that was a good idea!?

Yeah, that one caught me off guard at first, but really with some Fighter combo (using dodge invincibility) into Slugger Heat, it becomes very quick. Proving Grounds 8 was very trying for me though. Cussed the game out a lot there.

Yeah, that one caught me off guard at first, but really with some Fighter combo (using dodge invincibility) into Slugger Heat, it becomes very quick. Proving Grounds 8 was very trying for me though. Cussed the game out a lot there.
Yeah, it's definitely doable, but it was very tone deaf of devs to put something like that in there in the first place. It was as if they were saying "hey, you thought the camera was bad before, let's see what you think now."

I didn't have any problems with Proving Grounds (the last one took a few try but it was still fine), but man, all of the Majima battles in Melee made me a bit frustrated. That part really shows how weak Majima styles are in comparison to Kiryu's.

I haven't watched any of the movies. Actually, I thought there was just 1 movie based in the first game. There was a prequel movie? I'll investigate further.

Yea, it was a prologue movie also done by Takeshi Miike (kind of low budget, just look at Kiryu's wig). Fun fact? To promote the original game, SEGA of Europe released the movie subtitled for free in to 4 parts on the game's website.

So about two days ago I was thinking I really needed to wrap up the Real Estate sub-game so I could move on with the story. It's been so amazing so far that I can't wait to see the rest of it.

Then Cabaret Club Management happened. Goodbye story progression :p

IrishNinja

bout to take on the 3rd cabaret boss, but anyone else perpetually having trouble finding that one last sponsor shop? i swear ive combed over everything on the southern part of the map and all 3 are missing like 1 shop

Jachaos

bout to take on the 3rd cabaret boss, but anyone else perpetually having trouble finding that one last sponsor shop? i swear ive combed over everything on the southern part of the map and all 3 are missing like 1 shop

Some of them you need to befriend people at those businesses, if they're businesses you can visit. But yeah even then I'm often left missing one I can't find anywhere.

Cody_D165

Banned
played for like 6 hours today, I'm in love with this game.

I stumbled into the bar/pool hall by accident and didn't leave for a solid hour or so

I played 301 darts with the dude who wanted to start betting and I bested him two games, went into the third game with a million yen on the line and Kiryu was pretty boozed up. The other guy's AI went up a few tiers so I realized I was getting hustled at this point but I kept my cool and continued playing

Last round, last dart. Needed triple 19 to win and I knew I was fucked.

But I'll be goddamned if my drunk ass didn't sink that triple 19!!!

I haven't felt so fucking excited over something so trivial in ages 😂😂😂

Some of them you need to befriend people at those businesses, if they're businesses you can visit. But yeah even then I'm often left missing one I can't find anywhere.

Use the guide: http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/nightlifeisland.html

The sidequests in this game are too much man. They often have like a moral of the story to them which is so damn funny looking at the content.

My favorite scenes are the "Holy Shit!" ones when Goro or Kiryu first witness a new style.

I also love the Seinfeld-esque baselines that the sidestories use when the name pops up.

(I think it's when they end).

played for like 6 hours today, I'm in love with this game.

I stumbled into the bar/pool hall by accident and didn't leave for a solid hour or so

I played 301 darts with the dude who wanted to start betting and I bested him two games, went into the third game with a million yen on the line and Kiryu was pretty boozed up. The other guy's AI went up a few tiers so I realized I was getting hustled at this point but I kept my cool and continued playing

Last round, last dart. Needed triple 19 to win and I knew I was fucked.

But I'll be goddamned if my drunk ass didn't sink that triple 19!!!

I haven't felt so fucking excited over something so trivial in ages ������
Hah, it feels great when you manage to beat the guy. Now go and bet on Cricket :)

Done at 124 hours. I think it's my favorite yakuza somewhat tied on some point with 4.

The secondary cast of character is simply GOD TIER, I mean, Sneaky fuck Sagawa, batshit awesome Nishitani, sleak as fuck Tachibana, I know kung fu motherfucking God Hand, screaming pinkie Fuze, hell, even Sera and Oda are cool as fuck.

Problem is, this being a prequel, it's all a waste... But there are so many characters that could have been main characters of their arcs.

I would seriously love more focus on Chinese imigrants, but seeing how unpopular Tanimura got with his arc in 4, I doubt we'll ever see such focus again...

Anyway, some plot points felt short and the transition (especially majima final's appearance) felt forced to tie shit with Kiwami...

But I loved how Nishiki got more charaters, to prepare for the tragic events of Kiwami. He's such a bro.

And the soap is a cheesy as before. I love the shit majima pulls by the end, I mean, the writting trope is always " NEVER TOUCH THE
GIRL
" but they keep hurting the girl... I mean, they got to be punished. And Majima gives them hell for it.

I love his lines " Nobody get out alive. I'm taking you'all straight to hell ! I'm going to mop the floor with your bodies "

such an epic power trip by the end. Even the bosses were MELTING after fully upgraded the trees...

Yakuza 0 : batshit epic/10

Kain

I'm so glad so many new people are playing this game, we Yakuza fans have been so alone for so long T__________T

Anyway, did I just (spoilers side-quests chapter 11)

kick Ryuji Goda's ass as Majima? Yes, YES I DID

OMG this game. Oh wait (spoilers side-quests chapter 14 I think)

AND NOW SHINJI TANAKA????? STOP GAEM, STAHP

They made this game to appeal to new and old fans alike, I hope the new people want to play the rest of the series after this one.

So now l'll try to wrap up the cabaret and real state thing to get the last battle styles for each and kick the last bosses asses in style.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I don't understand Real Estate. I'm on Chapter 10 and have barely touched it, but Kiryu's skills are locked behind it :(

Do you buy properties by walking around town? I haven't found any if so

I don't understand Real Estate. I'm on Chapter 10 and have barely touched it, but Kiryu's skills are locked behind it :(

Do you buy properties by walking around town? I haven't found any if so

You have to stand in front of a property and you get the "look" option. You can then buy the property by paying them in cash (you need to have the required amount on you) and triggers a dope cutscene of Kiryu.

If you're having trouble finding the locations, just use this guide: http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/moneyisland.html

Problem is that the game tells you the name of the storefronts but since we can't read Japanese, we can't tell which store is which.

EDIT: Aah, beaten.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Thanks. Real Estate seems so boring, especially when the rest of the game is so good. It's almost mandatory with how much money it gives you/the skills it unlocks, though...

Luckily Majima's cabaret game is actually really fun.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished the game tonight... begrudgingly. I didn't want the thing to end :(

But I put plenty of time into it, so whatever. I loved the thing from start to finish, and it's easily my favorite game in the series. Kiwami kinda can't come soon enough now.

Finished the game tonight... begrudgingly. I didn't want the thing to end :(

But I put plenty of time into it, so whatever. I loved the thing from start to finish, and it's easily my favorite game in the series. Kiwami kinda can't come soon enough now.

i'm so glad these yakuza reprints came out to hold us over.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
i'm so glad these yakuza reprints came out to hold us over.

Yeah, I'm trying not to OD on Yakuza quite yet, though. And I still haven't played through 5.

No... no, I need to wait for Kiwami. I'll just go back and do some of the hostess club stuff in 0 to try and fill the void in my heart.

Harmen

The three Dojima lieutenants are some of the best villains in recent times. All of them have an "oh, shit, that's really cool" moment and are intimidating or even admirable in their own way. I also like how they all have distinct characters with different motivations.

Top Bottom