• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Kazzy

You have to hug the sides of the street and watch for a "X: LOOK" icon at the top right of your screen when you pass a building that's for sale. Alternatively, just look at the maps in this guide.

This is one of those few moments that I thought the game lacked noticeable polish, in terms of UI. What I would have given, just for some simple markers, to show me what was available to buy.

It's so nice being able to eat food even when full for completion purposes. I wish Yakuza 5 had this.

Yeah, especially for those sidequests.

I remember running around, purposely letting guys just beat on me, just so I could run to the restaurants and eat something, haha.

Riposte

Climax Battles are finished! They were actually really tough, way harder than the ones in previous games. A few of them took me somewhere around 10 tries (two of them are straight up trial and error because they revolve around finding a specific weapon in time). I have to say it was the timed missions that ended up being the hardest, especially the one at the baseball range.

Oddly enough, with one big exception, the Ultimate missions are on the easier side, especially when the later ones trade boss power for numbers. I was a bit worried about fighting the final-final boss without healing items, but he's was really easy here. For the most part, they don't enter heat modes that make them scary in the main game. The big exception is
a fully powered Sera in 2
, who's a complete motherfucker. Also, it reiterated the fact that you fight
Kuze
way too many times lol.

I didn't push it in the main game (which I played on hard, for what it matters), but I realized that Majima's Breaker style is seriously overpowered with it's 3xSquare-Triangle move (the low-kick spin one). It completely trivializes a lot of one on one bosses, at least without an aura effect; you can even combo it into a Slugger heat for some health recovery and have time to set up the move again (still a little risky on some bosses, like the motherfucker I mentioned above).

Even outside of Climax Battles, Y0 actually feels like one of the hardest games in the series (putting aside gear and item abuse). Most challenging bosses since at least 3 and a lot of vicious group fights with gun users. I think a part of that is styles not clicking with me, but also the leveling mechanic being a lot slower until the business mechanic opens up (and it's up to you to invest a lot of time into it) Of course, if you go and unlock the fourth style (and just grind like crazy) this isn't necessarily true, but that basically falls in the same area as trivializing the difficulty with items.

Think I'm done with the game for awhile, not much of a completionist. Still not sure if I will jump on Kiwami, but if I do, then it's important I don't burn myself out. Apparently the combat is identical, to the point where Kiwami is more of an expansion.

Guys, help. I am debating between this and Nioh. Never played a Yakuza and never been to Japan so I am afraid I won't 'get it' but I am also not able to dedicate the time to master Nioh. UGH.

Ultimadrago

This is one of those few moments that I thought the game lacked noticeable polish, in terms of UI. What I would have given, just for some simple markers, to show me what was available to buy.

Exactly. In the survey, I think I gave the overall UI impressions something like 3/5. The Real Estate game was certainly one of the worst offenders. Thing is, they show you a list of all the areas/properties, but then didn't pin them on the map. I was like 'Wat."

Jachaos

Exactly. In the survey, I think I gave the overall UI impressions something like 3/5. The Real Estate game was certainly one of the worst offenders. Thing is, they show you a list of all the areas/properties, but then didn't pin them on the map. I was like 'Wat."

Like someone else mentioned before, it makes sense in Japanese as you search them by name by reading the signs and all. For us though, it's nonsensical wall hugging

Guys, help. I am debating between this and Nioh. Never played a Yakuza and never been to Japan so I am afraid I won't 'get it' but I am also not able to dedicate the time to master Nioh. UGH.

You don't need to have gone to "get it", nor to have played an prior Yakuza games, so you definitely could jump in and enjoy this. However, it does have a main story that will last you 25-30h, and some awesome sidequests you will probably want to do when you come across, so time-wise. I don't think that'd fix your issue with Ni-Oh.

Alastor3

I don't understand how the fishing work, do I need to wait for the little bait thingy to go down in the water up to the Red line?

Ultimadrago

I don't understand how the fishing work, do I need to wait for the little bait thingy to go down in the water up to the Red line?

Yeah, so when the water intersects the Red Line is when you press X. Then you mash the corresponding button on the screen in order. Pretty easy to do with the best rod (found in Ebisu Pawn Shop).

How many hours can I expect out of this? It'll be my first Yakuza

30 to 80 hours.

anyone have tips for the very last pocket racer mission? my car pretty much immediately flies off the track

The last 2 pocket racer missions are basically partially luck-based. You need to be fast enough at base with the best engines/gears, then tweak the balancing and jumping factor enough so that ideally there are no more than 3-5 track bounces that would make you lose.

It's partly luck. Some track jumps are practically unsalvagable with the O press, but you gotta take some risk to win the last race.

Ultimadrago

anyone have tips for the very last pocket racer mission? my car pretty much immediately flies off the track

My Ultimate Setup for the Mission Was:

Killer Bee
Ultra Spiked Tires
Ultra Metal Frame
Ultra Speed Motor
Ultra Boost Gears
High Speed Battery
Side Stabilizer 3.0
Heavy Suspension
Bumper Plate

This was based off KHHSubs' Preferred Setup Here.

Note:
Random Elements may still become a factor on if you fly off the first bumps or not. Also, the challenger crashed at the ending of my race, though I was still going to be ahead regardless.

FoeHammer

This morning I broke up a cult ring and decided it was time to relax for all my hard work. I decided to go watch some erotic videos and on the way I've now been interjected into helping decide the fate of the nation's tax policies.

This game jesus.

Alucrid

Banned
30 to 80 hours.

The last 2 pocket racer missions are basically partially luck-based. You need to be fast enough at base with the best engines/gears, then tweak the balancing and jumping factor enough so that ideally there are no more than 3-5 track bounces that would make you lose.

It's partly luck. Some track jumps are practically unsalvagable with the O press, but you gotta take some risk to win the last race.

My Ultimate Setup for the Mission Was:

Killer Bee
Ultra Spiked Tires
Ultra Metal Frame
Ultra Speed Motor
Ultra Boost Gears
High Speed Battery
Side Stabilizer 3.0
Heavy Suspension
Bumper Plate

This was based off KHHSubs' Preferred Setup Here.

Note:
Random Elements may still become a factor on if you fly off the first bumps or not. Also, the challenger crashed at the ending of my race, though I was still going to be ahead regardless.

thanks i'll give this a shot. the luck based element is really annoying

Kain

Can you watch videos of JAV models in Nioh?

Can you bet on girls wrestling?

Can you play Mahjong?

Can you run a cabaret club?

Can you go to telephone clubs?

Are there awesome side-quests ranging from hilarious to creepy and all of them SUPER random?

Are there breakdance battle stances in Nioh? ARE THERE? HUH?

Does Nioh has maximum bromance? Yakuzas and tattoos?

There you go.

The last few races aren't that luck based. If you get the recommended parts, just let go of the analog sticks to slow down round the obligatory tight corner/jumps then accelerate when you're done, shouldn't even need to boost or mash circle. The amount of hassle saved by simply slowing down is massive.

Can you watch videos of JAV models in Nioh?

Can you bet on girls wrestling?

Can you play Mahjong?

Can you run a cabaret club?

Can you go to telephone clubs?

Are there awesome side-quests ranging from hilarious to creepy and all of them SUPER random?

Are there breakdance battle stances in Nioh? ARE THERE? HUH?

Does Nioh has maximum bromance? Yakuzas and tattoos?

There you go.

This isn't a point in favor of Yakuza

GeeTeeCee

The last few races aren't that luck based. If you get the recommended parts, just let go of the analog sticks to slow down round the obligatory tight corner/jumps then accelerate when you're done, shouldn't even need to boost or mash circle. The amount of hassle saved by simply slowing down is massive.

I was under the impression the analog stick only controlled the speed of the race footage, and has no actual bearing on the control of your car?

I was under the impression the analog stick only controlled the speed of the race footage, and has no actual bearing on the control of your car?
You are correct but sometimes you need to be Fast in stabilizing your car and it can get a bit tough if you're Fast forwarding.

I guess I'm going to do the thing where I do all the cabaret Club stuff in chapter 7. It's really fun and I hear that after chapter 7 it's hard to do for awhile?

Fhtagn

Ok so why can't I drop the cannon in the first Climax Battle? It has a 0 and I want to use a faster melee weapon but can't drop it.

Honestly, getting knocked over by every hit in this fight makes it rather unfun.

Climax Battles are finished! They were actually really tough, way harder than the ones in previous games. A few of them took me somewhere around 10 tries (two of them are straight up trial and error because they revolve around finding a specific weapon in time). I have to say it was the timed missions that ended up being the hardest, especially the one at the baseball range.

Oddly enough, with one big exception, the Ultimate missions are on the easier side, especially when the later ones trade boss power for numbers. I was a bit worried about fighting the final-final boss without healing items, but he's was really easy here. For the most part, they don't enter heat modes that make them scary in the main game. The big exception is
a fully powered Sera in 2
, who's a complete motherfucker. Also, it reiterated the fact that you fight
Kuze
way too many times lol.

I didn't push it in the main game (which I played on hard, for what it matters), but I realized that Majima's Breaker style is seriously overpowered with it's 3xSquare-Triangle move (the low-kick spin one). It completely trivializes a lot of one on one bosses, at least without an aura effect; you can even combo it into a Slugger heat for some health recovery and have time to set up the move again (still a little risky on some bosses, like the motherfucker I mentioned above).
Yeah, I noticed the same thing in the batting center stage that you mentioned. When it connects, it completely destroys the opposition. Though, that's like the only OP move that Majima has, whereas Kiryu has a ton of them. Especially in Beast style.

Ok so why can't I drop the cannon in the first Climax Battle? It has a 0 and I want to use a faster melee weapon but can't drop it.

Honestly, getting knocked over by every hit in this fight makes it rather unfun.
Press down on d-pad.

Ugh I suck at disco so bad. The window to hit the buttons seems so unclear compared to karaoke. I'm failing the cabaret Club lessons because of this.

Harmen

Ugh I suck at disco so bad. The window to hit the buttons seems so unclear compared to karaoke. I'm failing the cabaret Club lessons because of this.

Tap along with the rythm of the music, that is the timing you need to press and I had a lot more success with it than the visual cue. I still suck at it but am decent enough to not screw up hostess minigames and such.

I don't know if I really like Cabaret Clubbing, after putting some more time into it. Any kind of game where I can get really deep in and then suddenly lose right near the end is really demoralizing to me. It took me three tries to beat the first rival club, because his money bar kept just skyrocketing in the last thirty seconds or so and there was nothing I could do about it. I only ended up winning in the end after doing another regular night with all my usual girls rotated out, so I could try again with them all fresh and happy, but I don't feel like I played it any better than the first two tries.

Are there any good strategies for the Cabaret? I'm pretty sure I know how to pair up the right girls with the right customers, but I don't really get how asking customers to extend their stays works, or if that's even worth doing.

I'll get back to it later, anyway. Right now I'm knee deep in the story again, and oh man it's amazing. I'm at the end of Chapter 10 now; the reveal of the owner of the bat tattoo had me legit shook, so I can't wait to see how it goes from here.

The three Dojima lieutenants are some of the best villains in recent times. All of them have an "oh, shit, that's really cool" moment and are intimidating or even admirable in their own way. I also like how they all have distinct characters with different motivations.

The high level of writing (and VA) quality are going to make it hard to go back to other games. Yakuza's characters and story should be the standard other games aspire to.

I have a question about the hostesses. Do they rank up? Like does a Silver ever become a gold? Or do they stay the same besides level? Cause Erranda has been making a ton of money but she is silver, so I figure it's probably better to put someone gold in place of her? not sure.

I have a question about the hostesses. Do they rank up? Like does a Silver ever become a gold? Or do they stay the same besides level? Cause Erranda has been making a ton of money but she is silver, so I figure it's probably better to put someone gold in place of her? not sure.

Nope, they all have a fixed rank. Only their level increases which of course increases their stats.

It's generally better to have as many higher ranking hostesses as possible, but if you're trying to cater to a specific type of clientele then going for a silver instead of a gold can be preferable if she's a better fit.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I just want to say that Majima might be one of my favorite protagonists ever.

I see Yakuza fans rave about how great he is all the time but he never did much for me in the games I played (4 and 5). Now, though, I understand. The localization spiced up his dialogue a bit but it fits him SO well. Not to mention all three of his styles are amazingly fun to play with.

The way you end up learning his breakdancing style is hilarious.

CzLW4ZP.jpg

4QWUOHb.jpg

Nope, they all have a fixed rank. Only their level increases which of course increases their stats.

It's generally better to have as many higher ranking hostesses as possible, but if you're trying to cater to a specific type of clientele then going for a silver instead of a gold can be preferable if she's a better fit.

Alright, thanks.

Game is pretty awesome so far. My GF has been watching and we both cracked up at the first karaoke bit.

My one complaint would be that there isn't quite enough combat for me to feel comfortable with the basics. I've already gone back to talk to the Loan Shark guy, and fought a few random encounters, but it's still quite early. I just really want to smash a guy with a bike!

It's weird, I've had more success waiting for the border to be just inside the square. When I hit it bang on the border, it's wrong.

That was my experience as well.

Tap along with the rythm of the music, that is the timing you need to press and I had a lot more success with it than the visual cue. I still suck at it but am decent enough to not screw up hostess minigames and such.

Turning up the volume and following your advice helped a lot. Ended up getting three stars on easy.

Menitta

Game is pretty awesome so far. My GF has been watching and we both cracked up at the first karaoke bit.

My one complaint would be that there isn't quite enough combat for me to feel comfortable with the basics. I've already gone back to talk to the Loan Shark guy, and fought a few random encounters, but it's still quite early. I just really want to smash a guy with a bike!

The early combat is very basic. Once you start filling out the sphere grid and unlock beast style in chapter 2, it'll open up. Beast is what you want if you wanna smash people with bikes.

This isn't a point in favor of Yakuza

Pft, says you. Yakuza is about hilariously over the top situations and humor. Those without an appreciation of humor, even the uncomfortable stuff, need not apply. All of this stuff is intentional, purposeful even, and thats what makes it great. I'm glad it exists in parallel as another option to the typical games designed by committee that take no risks and offer little reward.

Pft, says you. Yakuza is about hilariously over the top situations and humor. Those without an appreciation of humor, even the uncomfortable stuff, need not apply. All of this stuff is intentional, purposeful even, and thats what makes it great. I'm glad it exists in parallel as another option to the typical games designed by committee that take no risks and offer little reward.

I agree with you.

But we really could have done without the catfighting.

I don't have any problems with the idea, but the RNG stuff makes it a completely shitty mini-game.

Top Bottom